Pilot Scoop: Private Practice's Tim Daly Cast as Husband of Tea Leoni's Madam Secretary

Tim Daly Madam SecretaryPrivate Practice alum Tim Daly is eyeing a full-time TV return with a series-regular role in Madam Secretary, CBS’ drama pilot about a maverick female Secretary of State, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s Starring In Them

Daly will co-star as Henry, the husband of SoS Elizabeth McGill (Tea Leoni) and the father of their two children. Henry works as a college professor of medieval religious history, and can talk about St. Thomas Aquinas for hours without repeating himself.

Homeland writer/producer Barbara Hall penned the script and will serve as an EP alongside Morgan Freeman, Lori McCreary and Tracy Mercer.

Daly will next be seen playing a love interest to Mindy Kaling’s title character in Fox’s The Mindy Project.

1. Kaycee says:

This pilot is looking promising.

2. Miffay says:

Stop trying to make Tea Leoni happen.

• Lya says:

This. She is simply awful.

• Steven says:

I disagree, she’s can be a very funny actress (ex. The Naked Truth, which is highly underrated). I haven’t seen her in drama as much except The Family Man which she was good in. I’d enjoy seeing her on TV on a weekly basis again.

3. Sophie says:

I love him! I am really starting to look forward to this series. I really hope CBS moves forward with it after the pilot is shot. Can’t wait to see Tea again – she’s great.

4. Carol says:

Yes, yes, and yes. Tim Daly should always have something in the ‘wings’ (couldn’t resist). The man should never be out of work.

5. Elaine Byrne says:

Love Tim Daly. It will be good to see him back.

6. this sounds interesting, I wonder if Fox News will complain that it’s too much like Hillary to be on TV. Tim is a good choice, I think Tea can pull off Hillary pretty well.

7. i AM A BIG FAN OF TIM DALY, HIS ACTING ABILITIES ARE TOO GOOD FOR THIS KIND OF SHOW, HE NEEDS A SHOW WHERE HE CAN REALLY SHOW OFF HIS ACTING SKILLS. HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN CAST AS THE STAR OF NCIS NEW ORLEANS. JUST SAYING1 I LOVE THIS MAN, AND I THINK HE DESERVES SO MUCH MORE, BUT THATS JUST ME ,