TVLine Items: Doctor Who's Newbie, Ann-Margret Joins Ray Donovan, Today Adds Host and More

Doctor Who Samuel AndersonIs The Doctor about to be taught a lesson?

Samuel Anderson (The History BoysGavin & Stacey) will recur on the new season of Doctor Who as Danny Pink, a teacher at Coal Hill School where companion Clara Oswald (played by Jenna Coleman) also works.

PHOTOS | Doctor Who First Look: Peter Capaldi’s ‘Rebel Time Lord’ in Doc Martens, Daring Jacket Lining

“For the fourth time in Doctor Who history, Coal Hill School is coming to the aid of the TARDIS,” previewed exec producer Steven Moffat in a statement. “In 1963, teachers Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright accompanied the first Doctor. These days, it’s the turn of Jenna Coleman as Clara Oswald. And very soon now, Sam Anderson as Danny Pink will be entering the world of the Doctor. But how and why? Answers are coming.”

Read for more of today’s newsy nuggets? Well…

• Showtime’s Ray Donovan continues to bulk up for Season 2, tapping Oscar nominee Ann-Margret (Tommy, Third Watch, The 10th Kingdom) for a recurring role as June Wilson, a former film star who has a past with Ray’s boss Ezra Goldman (Elliott Gould).

RELATED | Ray Donovan Season 2 Casts Kip Pardue

• Tamron Hall has been made a regular co-host of Today‘s third hour, reports Deadline. She joins Al Roker, Natalie Morales and Willie Geist.

Dancing With the Stars will reveal its new cast live on Good Morning America on March 4.

• Don’t feel like schlepping to your local multiplex to catch the Veronica Mars movie? You’re in luck — the film will be available to rent or buy via digital retailers and on-demand simultaneously with its theatrical release on March 14.

PHOTOS | Veronica Mars Movie Scoop: Love Lives, Jobs and Offspring Exposed! Plus: A ‘Mature’ Logan?

• Fox is teaming with Jerry Bruckheimer Television for the drama Home, with an eye towards a series order. The project is a family thriller/soap that delves into the secrets lingering behind the facade of a suburban family.

Comments (15)

• I LOVE when the Tardis has two companions as opposed to one. I think the stories are richer and it gives the Doctor an extra person to play off of. I endorse those wholeheartedly. I do wonder if he’ll become Clara’s love interest…

Comment by kd83954 – February 24, 2014 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I tend to hope that Danny is not a love interest for Clara. Rory and Amy’s story was well played, and retreading the ground so soon might pale in comparison. It would be nice to see a different dynamic play out. Doctor Who is able to be compelling without a romantic storyline, and I like the fact it is willing and able to play against type sometimes.

Comment by ben – February 24, 2014 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hear ya. However, I don’t want this to be a Doctor-Rose-Mickey thing, where he pins after the girl, who pins after the Doctor. If it’s 100% platonic, then rock on. If Clara and Danny become romantic, rock on.

Comment by kd83954 – February 24, 2014 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree. The underlying assumption I have been making is that they have cast Peter Capaldi with the intention of moving away from a Doctor with romantic entanglements.

Comment by ben – February 24, 2014 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Essentially, Moffat is looking back to the origins of the show where the first two companions were teachers. Now you have Clara and Danny as those teachers to the older Doctor. Heck, as long as the stories improve from the last several years (very few memorable ones) and DO NOT focus on a mystery around a companion, I’ll be happy. Looking forward to Capaldi in the role.

Comment by Barb – February 24, 2014 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The new Doctor is too old so Clara needs a younger love interest. Pffff.

Comment by Badpenny – February 24, 2014 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the doctor was never clara’s love interest anyway. you must have set the world long jump record jumping to that conclusion.

Comment by Alan – February 24, 2014 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You did see the Christmas episode where Clara states she is following the Doctor because she secretly fancies him? Plus there have been many other indications of her feelings toward him since she joined the cast.

Comment by Badpenny – February 24, 2014 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Nah just that one and it kind of came out of the blue. Plus I think she temporized it bit – “sort of fancies him” or something like that.

Comment by ultimate troll – February 24, 2014 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • there was one brief reference in the christmas special by clara, one which was written to imply that it was just a minor crush. anyway i define a character’s love interest as someone who also shows interest in them and the doctor definitely didnt do that.

Comment by Alan – February 25, 2014 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • who was he on Gavin and Stacey? one of Gavin’s friends? I just finished season 2 of Doctor Who this weekend so
    I’m slowly catching up.

Comment by Elyse – February 24, 2014 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope the available-on-demand thing doesn’t hurt Vmars’ opening weekend numbers. I’ll see it in theaters and rent it, probably back-to-back!

Comment by gdv – February 24, 2014 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It probably will, but I don’t think it matters. The triumph is that fans got it made. It was our money that powered it – we’re not looking for a return on our investment other than the movie being made for us. I would assume that the studio kicked in SOMEthing on top of that (but maybe I’m wrong?), but I don’t think this is a situation where we’re needing the studio to turn a big profit.

Comment by Brooke – February 24, 2014 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hellllooo gorgeous

Comment by Mandziee – February 24, 2014 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like that they’re adding another minority again – finally!! :)

Comment by CF – February 27, 2014 11:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post