Winter Olympics 2014: 10 Things We Learned From the Sochi Games

Get More: Photo Gallery, Sports

best-olympic-momentsThere were celebrations of victory. There were heartbreaking defeats. There were a lot of jokes about Bob Costas’ infected eyes.

The 2014 Winter Olympics included their fair share of highs and lows, and we’ve compiled our favorite highlights from the last two weeks in Sochi, Russia.

RELATED | Olympics Watch: What Was Your Favorite Moment From Sochi 2014, Day 15?

As you settle in to watch the closing ceremonies (NBC, 8:30/9:30c), here are 10 things we’ll remember from the 2014 Winter Games. Click through the gallery below to see our biggest takeaways, then hit the comments to tell us your standout moments.

Comments (29)

• My favorite Olympic moment-Zbigniew Brodka’s win over Koen Verweij in the men’s 1500 speed skating by 3/1000′s of a second. Seriously I cannot even begin to comprehend what that is. And check out Koen Verweij’s reaction shot-he makes Ashley Wagner look zen. And kudos to NBC for streaming ALL the events live. Boodos for making us go to hoops to actually access thenlivestream but once I did I found it great and it truly enhanced my experience. It mad up for the disaster that was Nbc’s coverage of Vancouver, when we had to watch tape delays of everything EVEN THOUGH WE WERE IN THE SAME TIME ZONE!

Comment by Andy J – February 23, 2014 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • >Pink Eye Should Never Be On TV

Unless you’re South Park.

Comment by Tom Charles – February 23, 2014 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry for the typos. Autocorrect. Also wanted to say how nice it was to be able to watch the closing ceremony over live stream when it was happening, and not wait 12 hours.

Comment by Andy J – February 23, 2014 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 11) NBC still can’t get it right when it comes to covering these games. Show everything live and then save “primetime” for the “best of the best” from the day. The live stream option wasn’t the least bit user-friendly. I actually got more results from the athletes and journalists themselves via twitter than NBC.

12) Pre-Olympic Hype was a jinx: Vonn, White, Davis.

Comment by Elizabeth – February 23, 2014 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not to mention that if you don’t have cable, you couldn’t access the streaming coverage at all. Thank goodness for the BBC.

Comment by Alice – February 24, 2014 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ashley Wagner is an entitled ninny–I’m glad the sparkling Gracie Gold finished ahead of her. And I’m glad I watched the figure skating on the NBC Sports Network’s live broadcasts instead of NBC’s tape-delayed prime time broadcasts. Not only did I get to see ALL of the skaters, I got to enjoy Tara and Johnny’s lively commentary–so much fun!

Comment by Marci – February 23, 2014 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree that the Ashley Wagner meme did spread like wildfire; however, I seriously doubt that “love” for her did the same. If anything, she’s become even more unlikable than the debacle over how she made it onto the team. Definitely agree about the dynamic duo that is Lipinski/Weir. I thoroughly enjoyed their commentary and look forward to more from them. They were a breath of fresh air!

Comment by Mary – February 23, 2014 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ashley Wagner needs to remember that fans of her sport not only expect grace on the ice, but off it as well. Moments after the UGLIEST loser face, her coach got to explain why she was deducted (under-rotated jump and skill not at level). Then, she skates her long-program (again losing quality points on her first jump) and acts like she even has a CHANCE at a medal. Mirai Nagasu was left home WHY exactly!? Ashley has no class, and I’m grateful I won’t have to see her in South Korea.

Comment by Sarah – February 23, 2014 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AMEN to all of the above!!

Comment by G-Mom – February 23, 2014 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Look at the South Korean girl. She was the one with the most reason to complain, but did you see her scowling or whining? No. That’s why she’s a Queen, and Wagner is a disgrace.

Comment by Alice – February 24, 2014 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry, but McKayla Maroney is still on top.

Comment by Morgan – February 23, 2014 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC – worst coverage ever

Comment by RS – February 23, 2014 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This times 1000. The endless commercials, the chopping back and forth from one event to the other, the cliched post event interviews, the clueless commentary during the closing ceremony – it destroyed all continuity and excitement. Plus, I get that this is a plum gig for all the moldy oldies of NBC’s senior staff, but if the Olympics is about the youth of the world, how about adding a couple of fresher faces to prime time? Still, kudos to Tara Johnny, who not only knew what they were talking about, but also knew when it was time to shut up.

Comment by Eurydice – February 24, 2014 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s Tara and Johnny.

Comment by Eurydice – February 24, 2014 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s YULIA, not Julia Lipnitskaia

Comment by Ray – February 23, 2014 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have NEVER wanted a skater, whether American or foe, to fall, but I would have cheered to see Ashley Wagner fall on her face!! She did not deserve to be there. Bad additude and bad sport.
    I wish I had known about the figure skating on the NBC sports station! I was really disappointed in the prime time coverage. And it seemed that most of the coverage was for cross-country skiing. For me, very boring.

Comment by G-Mom – February 23, 2014 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I learned that Russian girls are hot!

Comment by Tahoe Mike – February 23, 2014 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad this mess is over.

Comment by Et al – February 24, 2014 12:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Number 11. Don’t underestimate your elders

Comment by hello – February 24, 2014 02:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for putting the dutch speed skaters in! They are the best!

Comment by Suzanna – February 24, 2014 02:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it just me, or does it look like Ashley Wagner turns her head and says bulls**t?

Comment by John – February 24, 2014 02:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. It’s not just you… ;)

Comment by Mandie – February 24, 2014 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Number 11: it ain’t over til it’s over – I still can’t believe the gold medal game between the US and Canada. Incredible.

Comment by Elsa – February 24, 2014 05:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just going to say this…..that is one of the things that stuck out to me…..talk about come from behind to take the gold! If you’re going to mention the “sour pusses” at least mention the other side of the coin! :)

Comment by Kim R – February 24, 2014 06:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No mention of Kate Hansen’s pre-race warm up dancing? She’s winter’s Michelle Jenneke!

Comment by Delirious – February 24, 2014 06:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Indeed, the Dutch speed skaters are scary good. The Netherlands came in fifth! We won 24 medals! All with skating.

Comment by CBWBDK1 – February 24, 2014 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t love olympians for being sore losers.

Comment by dude – February 24, 2014 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “our” love for Ashley Wagner? Please don’t lump me in with that. Can’t think of or know a single person who even likes her.

Comment by Jon – February 24, 2014 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the valuable information you provide in your articles.
    I will bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently.
    I’m quite certain I will learn lots of new stuff right here!
    Best of luck for the next!

Comment by Http://nodepositpokermoney.blogspot.com/ – February 24, 2014 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post