Dallas Boss Reveals Plan to 'Embrace Bad More' in Season 3 By Loading Up on Multiple J.R.s

Dallas Season 3 Preview SpoilersIt’d be impossible for any one character or actor to fill the shoes of TV’s iconic J.R. Ewing, played by Larry Hagman. But TNT’s Dallas, as it heads into Season 3, is hoping that a small herd of hellions can come close.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled?

“You’ll have several characters who are taking on that role,” showrunner Cynthia Cidre tells TVLine of the plan for Season 3 (premiering Monday at 9/8c). Among them, the late J.R.’s own son, John Ross (played by Josh Henderson), who over the first two seasons has made his fair share of mayhem. “He’s not exactly J.R., because we’re trying to draw him as a more layered version,” Cidre says.

Add in John Ross’ new partner in mischief-making (Emma Ryland, played by Emma Bell) and her wicked grandmother Judith (Judith Light), throw in a woman scorned (Jordana Brewster’s Elena) and a handsome stranger, and you have a strong, new foundation for villainy. “We have embraced bad this season more so than I think in Season 1 or 2,” Cidre offers. “And we are really, really are enjoying that!”

RELATED | TNT Confirms Plan for Dallas’ Split Season 3

As Season 3 opens – 12 hours after where the finale left off, where Bum revealed his role in J.R.’s death/framing Cliff Barnes for the deed – John Ross is out to give Ewing Energies Barnes Global Ewing Global a jolt, and he’ll do so bearing one last gift from his dearly departed daddy. (Teases Cidre, “J.R. left more than ‘the masterpiece’ for John Ross. There is something else that Bum gives him.”)

RELATED | How Dallas Planned a Fitting Funeral — After Using a Bit of Magic to Extend J.R.’s Life

Amidst all the double-crossing and boardroom brawling, Season 3 will make time for an old-fashioned Ewing barbecue as well as a wedding, and thus appearances by some familiar faces — including Pamela’s mother Afton (to be played again by the original CBS series’ Audrey Landers).

The new season, split as it is into an eight-episode springtime run followed by a stretch of seven summer episodes, affords Cidre and the writers the opportunity to double up on table-setting premieres and cliffhanger finales. As she puts it, “You’ve got an eight-hour miniseries with a season opener and season-ender. And then you start again, and then you end it again.”

For much more Dallas Season 3 preview, click through the slideshow below.

1. William says:

I still cannot believe that the writers ruined Pamela and John Ross’ relationship for a cheap plot twist. All of that buildup, all of that development gone to waste for nothing. I still find it hard to believe that John Ross would do such a thing given everything that happened. *sigh* I don’t see how the writers could salvage their relationship at this point, which is a damn shame.

• Natalie says:

Totally agree with you William! I am so disappointed that they decided to destroy a good match – the ONLY good pairing on the show. Writers are doing this with ALL shows it seems and it serves no purpose, other than to cheapen one’s relationship.

I love Pamela and john Ross together and Emma’s character is utterly distasteful. What makes it so much worse is that Emma lives in the same house and has been interacting with Pamela!! It’s so low and classless of both John Ross and Emma!

I’m also disappointed that they haven’t shown much interaction between John Ross and Pamela – they keep showing more of him and Emma. Just disappointing.

2. Ella says:

As much as I love Christopher and Elena, I adore Annalynne McCord, and cannot wait to see her on the show. Hope my other favourites, John Ross and Pamela, aren’t torn apart by horrible Emma, who it turns out, is just like her father and grandmother.

3. Sabrina says:

Looking forward to season 3.

4. Et al says:

It’s time for Christopher and John Ross to become Dangerous Cousins.

5. Mike says:

I’m still hoping Victoria Principal will agree to reprise the role of Pamela. And more Charlene Tilton!

• NJMark says:

As much as I like Charlene Tilton, I don’t need a parade of former cast members simply for the sake of having former cast members.

Victoria has repeatedly said absolutely not. To accommodate her wishes, they established that Pam died. Cliff was paying off the doctor with money from Pam’s share of his company for him to keep quiet about it, so there’s NO chance of “she faked her death.”

• Christian says:

Other than Ken Kercheval and Audrey Landers as a mother lion, the guest spots by former cast members have been shockingly disappointing. Tilton and Kanaly contributed nothing to the story, and Ted Shackelford was not used to his full extent. Apparently, Hagman’s death forced a last-minute rewrite of the Gary-Val story, but the end result was that Joan Van Ark’s brief appearance was just silly and unnecessary. Gary wasn’t even given a proper write-off – is he still at the ranch???? If they are going to bring back former faves, then please give them something to do.

6. Seth says:

If they want to fill the void, boring Emma and Christopher are not going to do it. Bring back Lucy Ewing, another original is needed to hold to the Legacy

7. LadyC says:

I’m not buying John Ross stepping into JR’s role. His attempts to come off as threatening are too forced. He’s still seems more like a punk kid, than a force to be reckoned with.

The character that is best suited to stepping into JR’s role, in my opinion, would be Sue Ellen. She has the potential for being a real force to be reckoned with.

8. renee carrillo says:

I hope in season 3 the rekindle elena and christophers relationship. I really liked them together as well as pamela and john ross. I don’t really like the idea of Elena’s character going bad. I’m already starting to lose interest.

9. Debby says:

The last episode was a disappointment. It almost completely did it for me. I’m glad there is some space for me to recover. I can’t remember all the characters names but where is Bobby’s wife heading. How ignorant. Women don’t forgive horrific exes that easy. There’s too many legs of immorality & not enough stability. There needs to be a Jock Ewing somewhere. There needs to be a motherly Ms Ellie, as well. Everyone is chaotic, unstable, & a little depressing. Where can the writers go from here?