Ratings: NBC's About a Boy Samples Well, Olympics Hit a New Low

About A Boy - Season PilotSaturday night’s all right for fightin’, at least according to Elton John, but it’s not your typical spot to find a network series premiere.

Of course, with NBC airing its penultimate night of Winter Olympics coverage from Sochi, Russia, the Peacock net used the opportunity to launch its small-screen adaptation of About a Boy. The gamble resulted in an audience of 8.3 million total viewers and a 2.2 demo rating, solid numbers airing outside of primetime.

RELATED | About a Boy Premiere Recap: Grade It in Our Poll!

About a Boy makes its regular time slot premiere Tuesday, Feb. 25 at 9/8c.

RELATED | Olympics Watch: What Was Your Favorite Moment From Sochi 2014, Day 15?

The network’s Saturday primetime Winter Olympics coverage, meanwhile, did 12.8 million and a 2.7 demo rating, new lows, and down 34 and 40 percent from comparable night in Vancouver 2010.

1. That number seems low until you look at the Olympics – that retention is actually pretty impressive. I wouldn’t be surprised if the show built on these numbers on Tuesday.

• Ava says:

Of course it will. It will be after the voice. The real test is when it gets inevitably moved and it has to hold up on its own.

• David4 says:

Exactly. Look at ‘Go On’, big premiere and it just fell apart.

• Why “of course”. It’s a viable option, but certainly not a sure thing. Just look at Chicago Fire’s numbers.

People are expecting The Voice to be this insane indestructible monster forever. I for one believe that the show will start showing signs of weakness this season and that its lead-in powers won’t be as strong as they used to be.

All that being said, if I had to bet on it, I’d say About a Boy scores a 2.4 on Tuesday & Growing up Fisher a 1.8.

• Ava says:

I would agree except that The Voice is still a relatively new show. It hasn’t lasted up to 10 years like American Idol. As for why I think About a boy will grow after The Voice, look at Revolution and The Blacklist. Both shows had a 3.0 and above following the voice. The moment they got moved, the numbers dropped. Honestly, it doesn’t matter what is after the voice. That time slot alone does wonders.

2. David P. Graf says:

It’s a shame that the show had to run after the Olympics considering the low ratings. I wonder how long it will be until coverage of the Olympics goes the way of the Miss America and Miss USA events. They used to be big deals until more and more people just lost interest in them. With the exception of figure skating and hockey which have some interest in the world outside the Olympics, there’s really very little entertaining about the remainder of the events. Again, you have so many variations on a common theme such as one person going down a hill on a piece or two of wood that you quit caring after awhile. People have so many other alternatives for entertainment that the Olympics are showing their age. Plus, it doesn’t help that it’s almost impossible not to know the results before the telecast starts at night on a tape delay basis.

• Name That Tune says:

The real issue is that you can see most of the events online in real-time before you get to the 3 hours that NBC spends on it every night. Where I live, hockey fanatics were getting up a 4 or 5 a.m. to see the games.

• @TVMaury says:

That`s something you`re saying just because US and A is doing so bad at the olympics. Norway FTW! Olympics is so hot in countries like Canada, Italia, Poland, Sweden, Norway and so on. It`s just america who are sore loosers who can’t watch the olympics.

• cuius says:

There’ll be no advance until the USA “invent” the World Series of curling restricted to local teams

• catherine says:

Just get over it, we were talking about tv ratings in the US, not Norway, Canada, Italia, Poland, Sweden, etc, the advertisers in the US dont care about the ratings in those countries, only who’s watching in the USA to advertise their products in the USA. BTW, congrats to the winners.

• Elizabeth says:

This is actually hilarious because the US got a total of 28 medals. 2 more than Norway!

• Tarc says:

Actually, there are a lot of people boycotting because Russia is a pretty awful place (their potent anti-gay stance among a long list of massive problems). I’m normally glued to the Winter Olympics (seriously, glued) but I have not watched on minute of it (or of NBC) the entire time.

• Calli says:

Congrats on making Norwegians seem like classy people.

• Jeff says:

Scandinavian trolling – I’ve seen it all now, thanks!

• Montavilla says:

I don’t think the Olympics will go the way of Miss America. They aren’t on that often, for one thing. The other is that you get to see the stuff you never get to see otherwise. I wouldn’t want to see curling every week. But I look forward to it every Olympic cycle. And I loved watching Slopestyle and Skistyle this year.

My family and I taped the Ladies Long Program and watched it last night, intending to fast-forward through every thing else. But we caught a glimpse of Ski Cross and ended up watching the whole thing. I also really loved watching the Biathalon for some reason this year.

• HTGR says:

You must be joking! Very little entertaining about the Winter Olympics other than figure skating or hockey???

umm alpine skiing, bobsled, skeleton, luge just for starters????

Olympics are showing their age??

Now granted NBC chops them up into little bits for primetime and ruins the presentation of lots of the sports and runs commercials non-stop, but that is a different matter.

3. Jon says:

I tuned in to the Olympics and all I got were docudramas on athletes. I tuned out and tuned back in for About a Boy – enjoyed it.

4. Andy J says:

It’s really not surprising last night’s ratings were low. NBC devoted the first half hour to tell the story of Jessica Long, WHO HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE OLYMPICS. I would have rather they devoted more time to the figure skating gala to show more of the excellent routine’s I saw live streamed, such as Javier Fernandez’s and Denis Ten’s, not to mention the closing routine when everyone skated. And while we’re on the subject, why was Johnny Weir looking like a geisha? If it was to honor Korea, I hate to break it to him but geisha’s are Japanese.

5. Montavilla says:

I loved the Jessica Long story, but I couldn’t help wondering why they aired it during the Winter Olympics, since she’s a Paralympic swimmer. I suppose it was because of the Russian connection.

I thought it was awful that they aired so few gala performances. We usually get to see at least a dozen, but I think they showed four? Geez.