Pilot News: Ringer Alum Ioan Gruffudd to Lead ABC's Immortal Drama Forever

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Forever Ioan GruffuddIoan Gruffudd is going to live Forever.

The Ringer actor has landed the lead role in the ABC drama pilot, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s Starring In Them

As first reported by Deadline, Gruffudd will star as Dr. Henry Morgan, a New York City medical examiner who studies the dead — because he is secretly immortal. His investigative work with Detective Jo Martinez and relationship with best friend Abe (Numb3rs‘ Judd Hirsch) will peel back the layers of Henry’s colorful and long life.

The project was penned by Matt Miller (Chuck), who will exec-produce with Dan Lin and Jennifer Gwartz.

Gruffudd’s recent TV credits include guest spots on Glee, Castle and Necessary Roughness.

Comments (19)

• You had me at Ioan Gruffudd.

Comment by Nichole – February 21, 2014 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto. When he appeared on CASTLE as a rival for Beckett’s affections, Nathan Fillion looked like a puppy next to him….and I love Fillion! I’m just glad he’s on a show that will use his considerable talent. GLEE just doesn’t show him enough. Granted, I want to see only him…singing…all the time…

Comment by KansasGuest – February 22, 2014 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I remember Ioan Gruffudd from “Horatio Hornblower”! (That miniseries also featured Jamie Bamber, too.) I hope he has better luck with this show than Nikolaj Coster-Waldau did with “New Amsterdam.”

Comment by Evenmoor – February 22, 2014 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I immediately thought of “New Amesterdam” when I read this description. At least this guy doesn’t have to find his true love.

Comment by SAM – February 22, 2014 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to get excited about this but I’m still not over New Amsterdam. Maybe since it’s on a different network the tale of an immortal will work out better.

Comment by tp – February 21, 2014 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • New Amsterdam was exactly what I thought of. Great show that ended before its time. Though if it had continued we might not have gotten to enjoy Nikolaj Coster-Waldau’s brilliant portrayal of Jaime Lannister!

Comment by DL – February 21, 2014 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesomesauce!! I’ve missed him on my screen since “Ringer”.

Comment by Mandie – February 21, 2014 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *was cancelled. I’ve missed him on my screen since “Ringer” was cancelled. Darn my excitement!!!

Comment by Mandie – February 21, 2014 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked this show back when it starred Jaime Lannister and was called New Amsterdam.

Comment by wordsmith – February 21, 2014 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Normally this concept would do nothing for me, but Ioan Gruffudd.is yummy. I’ve also missed him since Ringer. Judd Hirsch is a bonus.

Comment by Andrea – February 21, 2014 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is Fantastic news

Comment by Riana – February 21, 2014 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I saw what you did there :)

Comment by Lore – February 21, 2014 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should have cast Nikolaj Coster-Waldau & they could have called it #Forever Amsterdam”.

Comment by Jim – February 21, 2014 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it just me or does it seem like most of ABC’s shows in development sound terrible

Comment by Ram510 – February 21, 2014 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Met him this past summer. Wonderfully nice man (not to mention incredibly attractive :-)). Good for him!

Comment by Callie – February 21, 2014 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There can be only one!

Comment by Andrew – February 21, 2014 11:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is GREAT news!! Have missed Ioan doing a regular series thing for a long time. Let ‘s not make comparisons to other shows,and give this one a hearty chance! Good continuing Luck, Mr. G.!!!!!!

Comment by Diane – February 22, 2014 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll get out my copies of all the seasons of Highlander: The Series–There can be only one!

Comment by Roger W. Bonham – February 22, 2014 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like to disseminate information that I have built up
    through the 12 months to help improve group efficiency.

Comment by SEO – March 22, 2014 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post