Scoop: TNT Eyes 10-Episode Librarian Series; Noah Wyle Poised to Return as Flynn

the librarians series tntThe Librarian is about to book a comeback — and he’s bringing reinforcements.

TNT is close to ordering a straight-to-series version of its popular Librarian movie franchise, which starred Noah Wyle in the title role, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

Tentatively titled The Librarians, the cast-contingent project — exec-produced by Librarian boss Dean Devlin — would center on four ordinary people with extraordinary talents who discover that they have been selected by Wyle’s Flynn to work for The Library, an ancient fellowship of knowledge and heroism. The quartet travels the world investigating strange occurrences, battling ancient conspiracies and protecting the innocent from the dangerous, secret world of magic.

Wyle, who’s currently starring in TNT’s Falling Skies (which returns with its fourth season this June), is in talks to appear in the premiere and make guest appearances throughout the series.

The first pic in the trilogy, The Librarian: Quest for the Spear, aired on TNT in 2004, and was followed by 2006’s  The Librarian: Return to King Solomon’s Mines and 2008’s The Librarian: Curse of the Judas Chalice.

Thoughts? Love it? Hate it? Ambivalent about it? Hit the comments!

1. kirads09 says:

I loved the movies and am glad to hear this. Please tell me Bob Newhart and Jane Curtain also will make occasional appearances.

2. Karen says:

Would love to see the Librarian return always wanted more of the movies. Hope they can do it justice without Noah, but will definately have to give it a watch

3. Susan says:

We love The Librarian movies! Noah, Jane Curtain, and Bob Newhart all need to return :) As usual, the cast makes all the difference~

4. Abby says:

I looooooooooooooved the Librarian movies!!! The first one came out when I was in library school and about twenty of us watched it together in the student lounge. It was so cheesy and fun!!! I own all three movies and would love to revisit this world as a series. Bring it TNT!!!!

5. Kristin Cook says:

!!!!! I’ll always take more Noah Wyle. I loved The Librarian movies and of course I love Falling Skies. Even though Noah won’t appear as a regular, it is worth watching just for his guest appearences! So exciting!

6. missteff says:

I think this could work, if casted correctly. I hope that it does, loved the movies and always wanted to see more of what they might find.

7. Elaine says:

I loved the Librarian movies. I think Warehouse 13 was a takeoff of this show not the other way around. Noah Wylie, Bob Newhart and Jane Curtain had such chemistry together it was enjoyable to watch. I wanted another movie but I will take a series if it is of the same quality as the movies.

8. Phantom says:

I love Noah Wyle also……..but my family are big fans of his Falling Skies series. I hope he still will star in it.

9. mo says:

I don’t know anything about The Librarian. But the premise sounds interesting and I LOVE Noah Wyle!

10. Debies2 says:

So Christian Kane is one of the new Librarians!!! I am completely stoked to watch a series about this. I always loved the movies and Christian Kane is great so a mix of the two. Oh boy I can hardly wait.

11. akablonded says:

I really enjoyed THE LIBRARIAN series (I always thought of it as a poor man’s INDIANA JONES) and would rather watch Noah Wyle in the new show than FALLING SKIES. And John Laroquette brings an A game to his performances. I would also like to see — even in just a cameo — Jane Curtain and Bob Newhart.

12. vicki says:

I love all the Librarian movies. I’m excited their doing a series. Just wish Noah Wylie was going to be on it full time. Someone remarked it was a copy of Warehouse 13, but the Librarian started long before Warehouse. I love them both.

13. daily movies says:

Dehradun is among the first cities in Uttarakhand to have the latest releases, ranging from blockbusters to art house films.
    com is base of all world class HD videos for every person who is searching fun on internet.
    The major downside a site like this has is that from time to time it can be very hard if not impossible to access it due to the overwhelming traffic.

14. Viki says:

Would love a Librarian series- or more movies- with Noah Wylie! Matter of fact, I’m watching a TNT marathon of the movies right now!

15. Temmy Horowitz says:

I just caught the movie the Librarian
    Curse of the Judas Challis
    I thought it was terrific. Noah Wylie
    makes a great leading man he came across
    As a Real person with extraordinary
    abilities. I’ll take this
    kind of adventure any-day over Duck
    Idiocy those “reality shows” time has
    Past

16. L Vezzetti says:

Our family really enjoyed The Librarian movies and have hoped there would more. We like Noah Wylie and happy to hear he will hopefully have multiple guest appearance

17. Pamela Williams says:

I love ” The Librarian” series. It’s worth a second look. I know I will watch/buy it.

18. justbill says:

I thought the librarian series was great wish there were more.

19. Miche says:

Love it! Hurry up with the making of it!

20. I love these movies and would like to see more of Noah Wyle. I am watching them now as I write on TNT. I watch them every time they come on TV. I especially like the third one. I hope they can keep up the great production values. Falling Skies is one of my husband’s favorite show, but I find it too scary, but it is good.

21. Edwin Hazell says:

I saw TNT’s run of the first three movies this June 2014. I had forgotten about this quaint little gem, and was reminded of Warehouse 13. As the first movie predates W13, i have to wonder if it influenced the ScyFy show

22. Patricia martinez says:

I really loved the librarian series, I hope 2c more in the future they are very entertaining and a little educational also. I look forward to seeing them again.

23. Ron Doyle says:

good stuff = fun entertainment for the whole family – way to go TNT

24. liz rochford says:

this may be the best news i’ve heard in a long time. i am completely addicted to the movie series and can only hope the tv series stays on track with story/dialogue quality. the cast couldn’t be better. that leaves room for concern for the tv series. how can it live up to Noah, Bob and Jane? each was incredible in his role. please tell me the writers are either the same or willing to imitate the path of the original writers. i look forward to seeing this happen.

25. jim says:

The Librarian tv movies were great fun. I hope the network follows through.

26. linda says:

cant wait to see love the idea

27. Hawk says:

Not a fan of formulaic tv. 4 Librairians? Ok 1. Brainy guy, 2 cool chick with extraordianry iq in metphusics, 3 urban guy or woman with street knowledge 4. Mystery guy the others are trying to figure out his/ her past. Yawn.
    Loved the movies, bob Newhart, Jane Curtain. Dean Devlin needs to get an imagination is this another Leverage? Bring those characters to THE libraian franchise, then it might be interesting. Liked those characters even tho it was formula tv.
    Do not like tha Martian Program, Falling Skies.
    Well, that is the state of television today. Regurgitation.

28. Dianne Deese says:

I hope there is going to be another librarian. I love them. If it will be a series I will definitely be watching.

29. julie says:

Yay ! The return of Christian Kane to TNT and tv.

30. Roberta says:

I love this series, have it on DVD, watch it all the time

31. Shelly says:

I’ll watch it. I like the movies. Just watched the one with Stana Katic in it.

32. dj forester says:

I love the librarian movies even my husband watches them. I also love that tnt puts them on together on weekends. My favorite. Is the 3rd one Katie also stars in castle which we love too. Thank you dj

33. Judith Watson says:

Glad to hear the series might continue.

34. L.S. Staten says:

It’s about time The Librarian was brought back to TV. Noah Wyle was great in the three films. I’m glad he’ll be in the upcoming TNT series.

35. Sue says:

Can’t wait just wish Noah was going to be in all of ghem

36. Patty Hale says:

I am looking forward to Christian Kane on the librarians wish Noah Wyle being on more

37. Marisa says:

I think it would be a great series to spinoff the Librarian trilogy. If Noah Wylie would consent to star in it then that would be even greater!

38. danielle says:

The first Librarian was out way before warehouse 13. I love Noah in falling skies and was excited to see the librarian coming to a series.. I’m bummed to hear he may only be making guest appearances. As a result I’m not as excited anymore. I also heard something about Rebecca Romijn being in it which is even more of a bummer, because although she is beautiful, she is not a great actress.

39. Fran Folkerts says:

Noah was the only reason I started watching ER and, yes, I faithfully watch Falling Skies but I’m not too crazy about it. That’s why I was so excited when I caught the promo for this new Librarian series. But, boo hoo, now you say that Noah’s only going to be in it from time to time? With Falling Skies wrapping up, what else has he got to do?

40. Dennis G. says:

Outstanding! Everyone in my 5 member family LOVES LOVES this. The movies are the only binge movie night that kept us all happy all night.

41. Beckie H says:

We loved the Librarian series and would love to see more. Wish Noah Wyle would star in them and not just make guest appearances.

42. Julie Hannasch says:

I would love to see the franchise continue and would watch the series but would prefer Noah Wyle in more movies!

43. Mr Seymoure says:

I can’t wait for this show to air, I am a big fan of the Librarian. Please make it really good. 😁