American Idol Top 13 Announcement Recap: Where the Wild Cards Are [Updated]

idol-top-13-announcement-jessica-majestyThere’s been a decided lack of bullishness among the American Idol faithful over the last 48 hours regarding the Season 13 Top 30 — or at least the singers’ less-than-scintillating efforts during the show’s inaugural “Rush Week” festivities.

Call me a relentless optimist (who still thinks “I’m on a Roll” should/could be a Top 10 hit), but I’m not ready to fully write off any of the current crop of contestants — not considering the sadistic setup of Tuesday’s and Wednesday’s semifinal telecasts.

I mean, imagine attempting to execute an astonishingly stressful project at your day job while sitting in a shark cage made out of off-brand paper towels. (“Oooh! Your Idol recapper is still typing despite the fact that he’s being torn into bite-sized chunks by a Great White. Guess he should’ve used Bounty!”)

I’m not sure what executive producer Per Blankens was thinking, but he couldn’t have expected Allison Iraheta “Alone”-level performances by planning two nights of live shows during which a full third of the singers would be axed without getting to belt a single note. Even more confounding, the “lucky” ones sometimes had to wait up to two hours in a grim holding cell — cameras all up in their grill — before being told “you’re on!,” experiencing an extreme adrenaline rush and then being foisted onto the stage to try to master “intonation,” “performance” and “make love to the camera” face. Also: Confidence! Humility! And not openly vomming at memories of Randy Jackson’s insipid “tips.”

Anyhow… on to the Top 13 announcement. Ryan Seacrest was so quick in revealing the five guys and five ladies put through by viewer votes, that I actually worried for a minute that Fox was going to pull a switcheroo and try to trick us into watching Rake from 8:15-9:00. (#NeverGonnaHappen) Here’s who got the good news…

SENT THROUGH TO THE TOP 10 BY VIEWER VOTES (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER)
Malaya Watson
Ben Briley
Emily Piriz
Alex Preston
Jessica Meuse
Dexter Roberts
Caleb Johnson
Majesty Rose
M.K. Nobilette
Sam Woolf
(Could the order have been any less suspenseful? I mean, everyone knew MK and Sam were locks? Why not call them first and leave less clear-cut folks like Emily and Dexter for the end? #obvious)

J.Lo then grabbed the mic and explained that of the 10 singers left in jeopardy, the judges would ask five to sing, then ultimately choose three of ‘em to round out the Season 13 Top 13.  As I gritted my teeth and tried to brace myself for a Kendra Chantelle- or Lisa Leuschner-level injustice, here’s what occurred:

GIVEN A CHANCE BY THE JUDGES TO SING FOR A WILD CARD
C.J. Harris: Sam Cooke’s “Bring It on Home to Me” — Grade: B- | Keith was right that C.J. appeared to mentally drift in and out of the performance — to the point where I began focusing on things like, “Maybe he coulda shaved” and “Is that a variation on Pharrell’s hat?” rather than the actual vocal. Based on his body of work to date, I’m not upset about the judges giving a shot to C.J., but based on tonight’s number alone, I wish it had gone to Malcolm.

Jena Irene Asciutto: A self-penned song called “Unbreakable Me” — Grade: A | This was — hands down — the best performance of Season 13 “Rush Week.” As Keith noted, Jena was completely raw and vulnerable at the keyboards, with no accompaniment from the band, and yet she siezed the opportunity with the ferocity of a lionness spying a particularly meaty antelope. The fact that Jena proved her songwriting chops and showcased her gruff-but-ethereal tone in the process is just the hot fudge on top of some already perfect ice cream. Could she be Idol‘s first Wild Card winner? It’s not hard to imagine, is it? At minimum, her “Unbreakable Me” prompted the following, not-at-all-dramatic Tweet from yours truly. (Uff da — it’s too early to be in this deep, isn’t it?)

Spencer Lloyd: An original (I think?) about “Ordinary Girls” — Grade: C+ | I was sure the judges would give Spencer a slot in the Top 13 even if he’d decided to bite the head off a dove and then smash his guitar over Sam Woolf’s noggin. But amazingly, J.Lo put aside Idol‘s standard operating attraction to cute boys who activate sorority-girl screaming and instead told Spencer that his tepid performance of a not-very-rangey original song wasn’t what she “would’ve wanted America to see.” I also wish she’d told him the Hugh Grant-ish, mush-mouthed intro didn’t help his case, either. Oy!

Bria Anai: “It’s a Man’s, Man’s, Man’s World” — Grade: C+ (but the personality/star quality gets an A-!) | I so so so wanted Bria to be amazing, after her hilarious pre-performance chat about her thumping heart and her promise that “Oh, y’all gonna get a show!” As Harry noted, though, Bria’s cover of the James Brown claci was “all over the place” — with the teenage singer repeatedly losing control of the melody, her sense of pitch slamming into the brick wall of her passion and conviction. Oh, kiddo, take a few years and we’ll see you on The Voice around 2015, mmkay?

Kristen O’Connor: Katy Perry’s “Unconditionally” — Grade: B | Kristen (in genie pants perhaps designed to detract from her beauty) colored nicely within the lines of one of La Perry’s most boring singles. But if I’m being honest, she did it with about as much personality as a slice of Wonder Bread, lightly toasted, with just a smidge of margarine. Girlfriend definitely has talent and a very pretty tone, but I get the sense she’s trying so hard to come off like the “perfect pop star” (whatever that is) that she forgets the best pop stars are individuals, real humans with flaws and eccentricities and grit and humor. If those qualities are percolating beneath Kristen’s beautifully manicured exterior, I suggest she bring ‘em to the surface next Wednesday — or get relegated to a 13th-place finish. (Her cheering section, BTW? Remarkably good lookin’! It had to be said.)

ELIMINATED PRIOR TO WILD CARD ANNOUNCEMENT
Briana Oakley
Marrialle Sellars — I didn’t see that coming!
Emmanuel Zidor
George Lovett
Malcolm Allen — I didn’t want to see that coming!

WILD CARD WINNERS
Jena Irene [YAY! MY TV LIVES ANOTHER DAY!]
Kristen O’Connor
C.J. Harris

ALSO ELIMINATED
Bria Anai
Spencer Lloyd

And with that last announcement, Sony Pictures has greenlit the new romcom How J.Lo Got Her Credibility Back!

AND WITH THAT RIDICULATA… I turn it over to you!

What did you think of Top 13 announcement episode. Did anyone get snubbed of a chance to sing for the judges? (I vote Briana and Malcolm!) Did the judges make the right choice about who ultimately got the Wild Cards? And who’s your fave(s) from the Top 13? Sound off below!

1. Timmah says:

So happy that Kristen and Jena got in over pretty boy Spencer. Maybe this is indeed a new age of Idol!

• Timmah says:

Also, no Emmanuel! Time to pop the champagne!

• You surprised also that both the Judges and America got this mostly right ,
        My only surprise being that Brian Oakley did not make the top 13 via this cut , BUT then again I was also surprised that Casey Thrasher did not make the previous cut

• I am so pleased Emmanuel didn’t make it. Gotta say other than Briana and George not getting a chance to sing for their lives over Spencer and Bria I am pleased with the Top 13. We can’t go backwards and ask for Kenzie or Austin or Jillian, so with the Top 20 that performed I am not that upset about the Top 13 that we are given. I so wish Malcolm and George performed better last night I would have preferred them over Ben, but whatcha gonna do. It’s American Idol, disappointment comes in all forms.

• Idolhead Ed says:

The good news for Jillian,Kenze, Brandy, Andrina, et al, they will actually be able to come back again. The rest who sang and didn’t make it in can not.So On to the Voice or X….oh never mind, that’s gone. But I hear CBS is getting into the singing competition game.

• Var says:

Strongest group of males in years-no Sanjayas, Lazaros, Norman Gentles in the bunch-all these boys can sing. Females are overall strong, also. For once the voters and judges got it right. I suspect, based on the way Ryan presented the top 10. that MK, Majesty, and Sam got the most voites. By the way, check out Caleb’s “Down to the river” on YouTube. The dude can not only sing but he’s a heckuva guitarist.

• Shazza says:

I did check out Caleb’s song & absolutely loved it! Hope he does well on the show as I’m a huge rock fan – also loving MK & Majesty this season.

• Danny says:

I thought for sure he was gonna get in too. Like you, I’m glad he’s gone.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I am really impressed that America sent Spencer and his attitude packing. Too bad George didn’t get a second chance to sing instead of Spencer… All in all I think America got it right based solely on this week’s performances.

• analythinker says:

I think the “casual voters” are minimal this season, which means the majority of votes (from those who have really tuned in) are based on performances. Also, limited voting helps.

• Teeny Bikini says:

@analythinker. Totally agree. The Top 10 choices really seemed performance-based to me as well.

• ben says:

I don’t think casual voters are minimal. I think most casual voters are perfectly competent to pick who good singers are. I think what is minimal is the type of people who would vote 10000 times. Who were much more likely to be the ones who cared less about the singing.

• analythinker says:

I don’t mean to imply casual voters aren’t competent in picking good singers, but if they only watch Marialle’s audition (for example), and not watched her subsequent “train wreck”, they probably would vote for her. Consistency plays a part on avid-watchers’ votes, I would think.

• Ben says:

Oh yeah, I agree. Although I’d hope casual watchers would vote based on that day. It would seem more odd for them to have watched her audition and vote, even though they hadn’t watched her that day. Casual votes, you’d think, are more likely to count against someone who has performed very well usually but has a bad day, or more likely to rescue someone without a lot of support who has a good day.

• analythinker says:

Point taken :)

• Dan (Haleyloonie) says:

Well, after skipping Hollywood Week, I finally started watching again. The recaps made me very excited for the season, and I also watched quite a few of the standouts Melinda and Michael talked about.
        I really do wish people like Malcolm Allen, Jillian, and Brianna had made it. The one reason I wasn’t too attached to George was that I absolutely hate “I Won’t Give Up,” but I still think he should have been given a wild card spot.
        But anyways, I hope to enjoy this season (Majesty, Jena, Sam, I’m looking at ya).

• The Beach says:

I guarantee you if Nigel were still producer and Randy still a judge that both Spencer and Marialle would be in the Top 13. Props to Per…maybe it is really a new, less manipulative Idol.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I really wasn’t impressed with any of the performances of the judges choices, except for Jena. Just glad Spencer is gone.

• Danny says:

Right, I think CJ made it based on what he did yesterday. Based on today Jena was the only one who deserved to make it. Since the other 4 didn’t do so great, I thought Spencer was going to get one of the spots.

• The Beach says:

Jena not being voted in by America into the Top 10 was my only disagreement with the audience vote…so glad the got a wildcard. Good job, America…ya done good!

• flappybats says:

If they hadn’t designated five of the spots for guys, I suspect Jena would have been in the top 10. At least, I hope so. She’s extraordinary.

• tealeaves says:

@flappybats, I doubt that Jena would have gotten in if there was not a 5 guy / 5 girl split. I think she should have gotten in above at least 2 of the girls who did get in. If anything, I think CJ was probably the 6th guy and would have gotten in over a girl if they just looked at vote count. (I’m ass talking here, but I think the guys had a much better night overall.)
            I think Jena is excellent but so far she has been getting lost in the crowd for me. Now that we are down to 7 girls, maybe she will stand out more to the voters. I can see her ending up as one of the top contestants as long as she can make it thru the first few cuts.

• Teeny Bikini says:

@The Beach. I know. Right? I am totally satisfied with this outcome :)

• claudia says:

She wasn’t my only disagreement but she was the most surprising. I thought she was a shoo-in. C J too. Ben leaves me cold & that stupid wearing-his-ballcap-backwards thing drives me crazy. MK does it too & I hope she stops because it’s hard for me to vote for her when she looks so stupid. I don’t understand Kristen’s appeal – she seems so vanilla to me. Maybe they like her backstory.

• ben says:

Indeed, ungel Nigel would surely have given Marialle a wild card ticket. This whole rush week – from the people who were cut when it was takenfrom 30/20, and the people given wild cards today, FEEL organic. They feel like a panel of three judges genuine choices. They are just a little too random, and not nearly balanced/populist enough, to feel like a producers creation. It’s wonderful (even if it does mean a singer who I don’t think deserved to be in the top 30, let alone the top 13, got a wild card – its a small price to pay).

And I, like ohers, am glad Spencer is gone, because I can’t help but feeling like he would have been around at least 6 or 7 weeks if he had stayed in, and I would have been frustrated by that. Kristen, on the other hand, will go next week – leaving a great top 12.

• Tess says:

For sure, if there was good ol’ producer manipulation happening like the days of Nigel and Ken, the judges would’ve wound up putting Emmanuel, Marrialle, and Spencer through via the wildcard instead. I think it’s safe to say most of us are relieved that did not happen (I’m sure each had their followings so I’m not going to assume everyone’s relieved, but based on most comments I’ve seen and the way the voting went, it doesn’t seem like they had very big followings).
        I’m still a bit confused as to why Kristen was given a chance to sing again (sure she’s got a decent voice but she comes off a bit pageanty and bland compared to the other girls) or Spencer since, like Marrialle, he’s more style than substance. I would’ve given one of their wildcard performance spots to Malcolm instead, since I think he’s got a great voice but just picked a boring song yesterday, plus we have no straight up R&B contestant in the bunch (some soul singers, but that’s not the same). Overall though, I think viewers largely got it right and there aren’t any immediate clunkers that still scream cannon fodder like past seasons, so I think it might shape up to be a good season after all, in spite of the cruel insanity of “Rush Week”. I just hope the contestants choose their songs wisely each week and the show doesn’t deter them from being creative and saddle them with lame themes or limited song lists.

• tvlover44 says:

word to your entire post! i’m pleased with the top 13 but sad that malcolm didn’t get a chance to sing – i feel he would’ve made it and as r&b is one of my fav genres and i’ve loved him since his ‘superstition’ audition, that was my only disappointment, but a big one.

• Var says:

And maybe not allowing any songs performed in. let’s say, the past 5 years

• MamaLis says:

Do you think so? On the Kristin thing? Because I don’t get her at all. Like, at ALL, at all. I can usually uncover motivations but for the life of me, I cannot understand why they would have chosen Kristen to sing over a Briana.

Also, here’s what I suspect happened with the Spencer thing. The first night he sang, he clearly went in the wrong “direction,” which ticked the Judges off a bit. (Well, at least a couple of them.) He also started pandering to the female vote. CLEARLY. So they say, “Dude, wrong direction. ‘Hollywood Week at the piano’ is what we want from you.” Now it’s Night #2. Surprisingly, he doesn’t make the vote. The Judges decide to give him ONE more chance to pull it together – and you know JLo was rooting for him – and just ROCK that whole Hollywood/piano vibe. What does he do? Brings out the GUITAR and sings some ” Oh GIRL” song where he once again, panders to the female vote. It was becoming evident where he was going to go with things and his whole “worship leader at the piano” was becoming less sincere by the day.

I think they set a “Bottom Line” for him and he failed and that was it. And kudos to them, they stuck to it. That’s what I think.

• Cyndee says:

MamaLis … You nailed it on the Spencer thing! You captured everything I was thinking and summarized it so perfectly! Even Ryan tried to help the guy by reminding him to think about what the judges had advised. He looked at him like, “No worries Man, I’ve got this covered.” Combination of arrogance and immaturity.

• Jase says:

It just clears the way for Sam to win now without pretty-boy vote-splitting, but dear god at least they chose the right one!

• LeahKittyS says:

Maybe it is, indeed. I think that’s why “Radioactiive” was such a popular cover this year: it was Idol’s message to us. “Welcome to the new age, to the new age…”

• Adam Fachry says:

Who would’ve thought that a plethora of contestants singing the lines “welcome to the new age” during audition rounds and Hollywood week actually did imply a new age for Idol. Nevertheless, the majority of the top 13 still needs to step up their game because I haven’t been blown away by anyone but Jena. And even that was because of her enthralling wildcard performance.

• Alienate says:

Well, maybe this “New Age” is a direct result of the low-keyed change that FINALLY LIMITS VOTING!!!! HOORAY!!! p.s. Why hasn’t Mr. Slezak mentioned this yet?

2. Name That Tune says:

JLo told us Tuesday night that Kristen was a lock for the Top 13. Didn’t matter what she did tonight.
    7 girls, 6 guys and we will lose 3 girls during the first 3 weeks
    Other than that, I’m okay with the outcome.

• Mary says:

I think Kristen is a good singer but she needs to pick better songs. NOBODY should sign Katy Perry. Her songs are meant for auto tune only, or maybe group numbers. Katy can’t even sing them live, not that she is a good live performer. Hate to say it but the demographics seem to be the same. Seriously 5 wgwg voted in with America votes. I am looking forward and hoping for some wow performances.

• JayNC says:

5 wgwg and 1 bgwg.

• Annie says:

what does the b stand for?

• Ben says:

Yeah, but, what person auditioning for idol in their right mind doesn’t bring their guitar along in this day and age. It’s silly. There might be 6 gwg’s, but only really 3 of them SHOULD be gwg’s. CJ, Dexter and Caleb really don’t gain anything from playing and should put the guitars away. I feel as though only Sam, Ben and Alex get any gain from being WGWGs.

• Dempster2u says:

yes I could not help but notice all people of color was 1st 5 out, but I guess that’s on America vote not judges for picking all the country guys. One judge said last night, there’s a thousands guys across the country singing in country bands just like you & he’s voted top 10 anyway…,B.S.,I think Bria could have won the whole thing

• T Fan says:

All wildcards were great, but Bria was clearly the best. She gave a truly flawless, show-stopping performance & Harry’s comment afterward was pure dribble. Infact, his only contribution to the show so far is to switch one meaningless, over-used word for another. Instead of “pitchy,” “pitchy,” “pitchy” now all we hear is “intonation,” “intonation,” “intonation.” — Jeez! (SMH).

• The Beach says:

You need to add another bgwg for black girl with guitar (Majesty Rose).

• Miss Otis Regrets... says:

Congratulations! You can count and marginalise people at the same time!

3. Kaba says:

I’m so incredibly upset that Malcom didn’t get through….maybe I’m just trying too hard to like him since he told the audience to stfu for once.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I am upset about Malcolm and George, but I really think they needed to kill it and they just had a rough night. I would have like to hear him sing instead of Spencer…. Oh well…

• Kaba says:

I’m listening to spencers performance as I type…
        I could vomit…I really could.
        At the lyrics. The last thing we need is him practically ripping off “what makes you beauitful”

• Dan (Haleyloonie) says:

It kinda sounded like Roxanne, except that it had a much less interesting subject matter, didn’t have the good vocals, and was all around worse in every possible way. Only similar thing, really, was some of the lyrics, but other than that it is kind of a random comparison.
          A worse What Makes You Beautiful is probably the best explanation…

• Angela says:

Yeah, I was rolling my eyes during his song. It just screamed, “Ooh, I’ll write a song with all these cliché ‘Look how sensitive I am!’ lyrics and strum a guitar to get the girls swooning!” Didn’t sound sincere at all, just came off like a guy trying way too hard to appeal to the ladies.

• ben says:

Yeah. I was really hoping Malcolm was given a shot, it felt like he would redeem himself. It wasn’t to be.

• JM says:

I agree. I would have given both George and Malcolm another chance to sing over Spencer, Bria and Kristen. Only CJ and Jena deservedly got a 2nd chance.

• JayNC says:

Yes, Malcolm would have made a better wild card choice. He and Brianna instead of Bria and Kristen. They had to at least give Spencer a chance or there would have been a riot.

• The Beach says:

There wouldn’t have been much reason to riot since he couldn’t pull in enough votes on his own for Top 10.

• tealeaves says:

I think they should not have given Spencer a wild card chance at all. As you say, he did not even get the votes to make the top 5. They were pushing him thru because they thought he would be a crowd favorite based on his looks. Once he did not get the votes they should have left it at that. At least they did not then put him thru.

• Jeremiah says:

They definitely should have let Malcolm and George sing instead of Spencer and Bria.

• The Beach says:

I would have given Malcolm another shot to see if he could do better on a different song but not George who was pretty generic R&B/Soul who oversings and puts in way too many unnecessary runs, much like Bria did tonight.

• Trouty Mouth says:

I’m really annoyed that Spencer and Bria were given a second chance over Briana, George and Malcolm.

4. Danny says:

I just KNEW that Jennifer was going to pick Spencer for that last friggen spot………………………………………. and I’m so glad I was wrong.
    ….
    For the most part I think the top 10 was right. Of the 5 guys, I would have had CJ in there over Dexter. Other than that the 4 were pretty obvious. For the gals, I had MK and Jessica for the top 2. After that I wasn’t really sure which 3 would go.
    ….
    Glad Jena redeemed herself. I thought she did pretty well. Her recovery made me not like the format where they’re on pins and needles before they sing even more. Jena today was be
    tter than MK or Jessica yesterday.
    ….
    So other than Spencer and Bria getting to sing over George and Malcolm, for the most part the night was pretty good. At least they picked the right 3 of the ones who did sing. I would have bet my house that they were gonna pick Rico Suave.
    ….
    Final tidbit here- I can’t help but like Malaya. She’s from Michigan so I’m admittedly biased. I’ll fess up she’s not the greatest singer. But dang, she’s such a breath of positive energy.

• Name That Tune says:

I grew up in Michigan so it’s nice to see a local girl do well.
      But this show likes the Southerners. She won’t last.

• Danny says:

I know. Michigan has no luck when it comes to Idol. Matt did pretty well in Season 8. I know this is blasphemy on this board, but I actually had him ahead of Adam. He was right behind Allison in my book. I liked the low key feel to a lot of his songs.

In Season 6 Lakisha did well. Unfortunately Melinda blew her out of the water. Melinda, if you read these posts, sorry about that but I was rooting for Lakisha that year. She’s from the same area I am, so I had too.
        ,,,
        Name, what part of Michigan are ya from? I was born/raised in the Flint area. I’m in Royal Oak now. One nice thing about living in Michigan is when we go out of state, and people ask where we’re from, we can hold up our hand, point to a spot on it and say “I’m from riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight HERE!!”

• Teeny Bikini says:

When Malaya is “on” – I think she does well. I think she will improve over the course of the show. I love her energy too. I can’t believe Rico Suave sang that stupid song again – I am pretty sure the judges told him during Hollywood week how awful that song was. I really think America got the Top 10 right based on this week’s performances.

• My Alter Ego says:

I’m surprised, but pleased about the outcome of the initial ten voted in, especially with Spencer not being one of them. Also pleased (and equally surprised) that he wasn’t one of the chosen wild cards.
      ~~
      I’m happy that Majesty Rose made the top 10, although I would have been appalled had she not. But I’m thrilled for MK — and so proud/pleased with AI voters that they seemed to recognize the extraordinary beauty of her understated performance(s). She’s a precious bud that needs nurturing, but if given that care — well, I can’t wait for her to bloom.
      ~~
      Danny, I’m right with you on Malaya! Wednesday morning I finally remembered who Malaya reminds me of (someone I know from work) and why I’ve been on Malaya’s band wagon since her audition — and it is that positive energy! She’s a firecracker. I do wish that she’d stop saying she plays “tuba” with an accompanying picture of her wrapped inside a sousaphone, but for most of you, that’s probably a mere quibble.

5. Gailer says:

I will be voting for Sam!

6. Yoki says:

They are doing everything in their power for Kristen to win.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I wouldn’t mind if Kristen was the first to go. There is absolutely nothing special about her voice. I was surprised she got the 2nd chance at all really.

• Danny says:

Yea, I thought George and Malcolm deserved the 2nd chances. They had tough nights, but it looked like they belonged out there. Some of the others it’s like they’re simply in over their heads. There’s a difference.

• Holly says:

Kristen is a boring pageant queen:(

• Melissa says:

I couldn’t believe they gave her a wild card spot after her performance. Her song was awful. All I kept thinking is that Kenzie Hall should be here instead of Kristen.

• ben says:

Kristen won’t come anywhere near winning – and I don’t think that is their goal. The reality is, I think Kristen has mostly benefitted simply from the fact that others keep being worse than her. She won’t make the top 10. It would be a miracle if she made the top 12. But hey, she will follow in a long line of wild card picks who don’t quite belong – Leah Labelle, Ashthon Jones etc.

• Lauren says:

Kristen is by far my least favorite of the 13. It should be Malcolm in her place. They wore kid gloves critiquing her first performance and she sounded awful singing “Unconditionally” tonight and they said it was good. Oh please!

• Darrell says:

They weren’t given very good choices last night from the 5 that performed. Other than Jena, the others were not good. Kristen got in because she listened while Bria blew Harry off.

7. rowan says:

Kristen was so bad, behind the music, not good at all. I was surprised that HARRY of all people chose her over Bria…who wasn’t that much better. SO happy that Jena had her time to shine. She’s one of my favorites. Her tone is unreal.

• Name That Tune says:

Whenever she tries Unconditionally, all I can think of is Tessanne Chin. She ain’t no Tessanne.

• Timmah says:

I know Kristen has not been performing spectacularly, but I love that alto tone and I’m glad they kept her.

• RRM says:

But Bria was all over the place…no control with her voice at all. Kristen was kind of flat but with composure me thinks she’d have done better over Bria eitherway. that’s just my two cents though

• Keith says:

Did each judge pick one or did all three decide and they just had each one announce a wild card.I was thinking it was a group decision

• Cat says:

I’ve got nothing against Kristen’s voice per se, but chica’s got a song choice problem. I was much more surprised that Emily got an automatic voter bid after her cringe-y performance of that Grace Potter song.

8. Sad about Malcolm. Would love to have seen him there.

9. Pat says:

Rush Week was an abject disaster.

• ben says:

They eliminated people who would previously have almost certainly made it through eg Marialle. They ended up with a top 13 which, on balance, was probably the 13 who performed best. How is that an abject disaster?

• Angie_Overrated says:

Because out of the 13, there’s way too much filler we’re sitting by waiting to get eliminated. It’s going to be months before the real competition starts, and by then, lots of people will already be tuned out and onto bigger and better things. I agree with Pat here. Rush Week was an abject disaster. I’ve never been more pessimistic about a group of finalists as I am this year. I’d almost take Sanjaya or Lazaro over more than half of these kids.

• Ben says:

Well then, you are one of those people who seems to not consider that naturally, the rush week format is going to make the performances of that week worse. But I fully expect most of these people to be very good performers from next week since they were up until that point. Plus – exactly which season of idol didn’t have 2 or three people to cull before it got to the consistent ones. In my mind (generically speaking as opposed to this season in particular) singers 11-13 are there to give me three more weeks of the 10 people I like.

I’d say that MK, Majesty, Jena, Ben, Alex, Caleb and Sam – and maybe Malaya – are all going to be consistently good performers.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Maybe the format did ruin the performances. I’ll entertain that notion. But based on what we’ve seen this week, it’s bad. Really bad. I’ve watched this show for 7 seasons and have always been excited at this stage. This year marks the first time I’m actively dreading the next episode.

• MAB says:

Then don’t watch it if you are dreading it.

• Angie_Overrated says:

That’s the next step, MAB. I love this show, and I want to give it the benefit of the doubt, but I fear that dropping it is my next step. It’s a sad day. If The Voice blows this year too, I will be beside myself.

• Ben says:

@Angie – if you’ve been watching since season 7, I admit you are a bit spoiled (I think several seasons since then have had consistently good talent, but few before that had more than 5 or 6).

However – seriously, I think you are overthinking it, and basing it on a single week. Up until that point, the top 13 (well, most of them) have consistently shown in their auditions and in Hollywood that they have the goods. I expect season 13 to be a heck of a lot better than last year.

And really, if you’d take Sanjaya or Lazaro instead of half of them… well, I dunno, maybe there are some of their styles you just aren’t a fan of? None of them (bar maybe Kristen) is as bad as that lot. At least we don’t get what we may have gotten back in the Simon seasons where Marialle and Emmanuel would have been given wild cards anyway.

• deedee says:

Well, if the rush week format is designed in such a way as to extract the worst possible performances from the contestants, then I’d say it’s an abject failure.

• darcy the slutty twin says:

To each his own, I guess. I thought last year was the worst season by far. I thought nobody was terribly exciting last year. Candice was good, but everyone else bored me to death. And because I am shallow, I was so disappointed that most of the boys were either unattractive or gay.

• Ben says:

@Darcy – I agree that last year felt like the weakest year to me in quite some time (season 9 maybe was a bit weak, but really I’m thinking since season 4, which had pretty much nothing below the top 2).

• MAB says:

And the boys are attractive this year? They may be better singers than last year but attractive? No

• Angie_Overrated says:

I’m going to play devil’s advocate here and claim that the men last year actually were rather good. I know, unpopular opinion, but hear me out. Devin and Burnell were amazing, Curtis also amazing, gay Taylor Swift not terrible, and Lazaro abysmal.

I think the reason the men were perceived as so terrible last year is because they were the victims of pernicious production interference. If we’re looking at it on pure talent, Curtis, Burnell, and Devin are all head and shoulders above any of the men this year (in my opinion, of course). And don’t get me started on comparing Candice, Kree, and Amber to this lot of crazy untalented women. Kree eats all the beeyatches for breakfast.

• MAB says:

You need to give these contestants a chance. I just visited Alex Preston’s YouTube channel and let me tell you this guy is amazing. He is way better than any guy on last years show. His original songs are amazing. He did a tribute to the Sandy Hook shooting victims called My Best Friend that was so beautiful. He is crazy talented. I also checked out Sam Woolf and he is also terrific. To be fair you heard a full season of some of those contestants last year and we are only starting to get to know this years top 13. I know it is just your opinion but if all you need to be is negative than please stop watching the show and stop posting. Last year was the worse season of Idol I can remember. The girls were okay but all they could do was ballads. The only one who tried to do anything upbeat was Janelle Aurthur. It was the most boring season I can remember. I can’t tell you how many times I fell asleep while watching and I wait all week to watch Idol. In the end I did like Candice and I bought her album but I will probably never buy another album from her because though it is really good it is all ballads and one album of that is enough.

• Angie_Overrated says:

MAB, I’ll give you that a few of them aren’t terrible. But as a singer myself, I’m not looking for something that’s “cool” or highly stylized like Alex. Yes, he’s talented. I won’t take that away from him. But what I’m listening for is a highly trained voice, which none of these kids have. Last year was the year of the highly trained power vocalists. This year has none of them. For all the gripes about the men last year, 3.5 of those 5 men had some real oomph to their sounds. The women were outrageously talented. For what I’m listening for, the kids this year don’t have the goods. Music is absolutely subjective, but there are objective elements of technical proficiency that I don’t hear this year. Kind of like how figure skating is judged where there’s wiggle room for “artistic components” but there are still objective technical expectations.

• MamaLis says:

I completely conquer. Loved Candice, snooze-button on the rest of the show. And the boys that were recruited were, well, it was embarrassing, imo.

WAY better this year.

• waterbug says:

Totally agree!

• deedee says:

Agreed – a hot mess.

10. Mike Cole says:

I am dumbfounded that Spencer Lloyd got a chance to sing, given that they were all singing their Hollywood performances and the judges hated his originally. Wouldn’t they have figured they’d hate it a second time around? And Bria is better than Marrialle, but that was still a tragedy as well.

Why didn’t Briana, George, and Malcolm get to sing? We could have heard a second helping of Briana’s “My Kind of Love”, George’s “I Won’t Give Up”, and Malcolm’s “I’m Goin’ Down”, all three of which were stellar! Add all of those up against Jena’s original, and we would have had a PHENOMENAL wildcard show tonight! Instead, we got a bunch of mediocre performances with one amazing song, courtesy of Jena Irene.

11. Chris says:

I personally would have picked spencer, who already has 25 million twitter followers and bri Ana– but spencer should have sung what Harry asked him to sing yesterday– say something. Oh well.

• Gailer says:

IA, once again these judges are not picking talent to begin with it seems. Even the wild card singers weren’t good enough to make it. Savion should have been there IMO.

• Keith says:

It’s not about twitter followers

• lol he has like 26 thousand.that’s not close to 25 million

• MaryS-NJ says:

@Chris – Apparently Spencer’s 25 million Twitter followers didn’t feel the need to pick up the cell phone, or online vote or dial the phone enough to vote him into the finals. It really goes to show that following someone/something on Twitter shouldn’t be overstated as an indicator of emotional investment in who or what they are following.

Spencer’s Hollywood week performances were uneven, especially the disasterous group performance that he sabotaged for his own self because he thought he was too good to practice with his group mates. His performance on Wednesday was in the pimp spot and even that couldn’t win him enough investment for the fans to vote. His wild card performance of the mediocre and patronizing original song was indulgent when he should have done something in his wheelhouse – at the piano. He had his chance and blew it.

• Spencer would have made a great American Idol. He is the whole package in my humble opinion. He sings and looks good. He is relevant. He is clean cut. He already has a large fan base (which is what AI wants…a superstar). He is young enough to be taught new things and his song is the kind of song I want my daughter listening to…because she is also “no ordinary girl.” He gives hope to those who girls who want to be virtuous. Maybe Hollywood is just looking for a different type of American Idol. I hope he gets lots of other offers since he wasn’t chosen.

12. Fern says:

Very impressed with the group America voted in. Almost any of these kids could make the top 5! That kind of competition makes for a good season.

13. LizzieB says:

Yay! I’m completely IN this season!!! Bring on The Voice and I’m a happy camper for the rest of this dreadful winter. :-D

14. Jobless says:

I was stunned that they actually did the right thing and cut Spencer. Maybe they didn’t wanting him stealing votes from the clearly more talented Sam Woolf?

Pretty happy with the Top 13 overall. If I could change something I would’ve at least given Brianna Oakley a shot to sing over someone like Kristen.

15. Tara d says:

Mostly correct top 13. Briana and Malcolm should have been in wild card round. Don’t need both Dexter and Ben, they’re redundant. But maybe they’ll cancel each other out, vote-wise. Also, Jena killed.

• ben says:

I don’t feel as though Dexter and Ben are all that similar. Completely different tone. But I prefer Ben by a large margin.

16. Caleb says:

I am honestly really perturbed at a few of the contestants voted in by America. So, that’s a shame on us. But I’m legitimately confused at why the judges picked CJ as a wildcard winner. I believe that Jena and Kristen are good enough to be there. BUT, Spencer is better than CJ. And Briana Oakley was robbed, in every way. Not happy with the fact that the judges pretty much picked most contestants, themselves.

• Lauren says:

“BUT, Spencer is better than CJ.”

LMAO, oh give me break. Spencer’s original song is one of the worst I’ve EVER heard. It sounded like something a 2nd grader would write for poetry class sung in a flat, emotionless way. The only real robberies were Spencer and Kristen getting to sing in the Wild Card round over Malcolm and George.

• Angie_Overrated says:

“… but Spencer is better than CJ.”

I felt a physical internal pain when I read that. lol To each his own, but that’s an opinion I cannot get behind.

• Tarc says:

Yeah, I’m not sure in any reality in the multiverse Spencer is better than CJ. Frankly, other than his looks, he didn’t belong in this section of the contest at all. It’s great that he’s a ‘worship leader’, so he can easily believe otherwise…. at home.

17. HMMMMMM says:

Count how many black men were in the top 10 who performed last night. How many were voted in the top five???? Zero… HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Erase this comment as I could care less but there were some great singers from the previous night that deserved to be in the top five who were black. That’s the credibility issue American Idol has.

• HMMMMMM says:

To be clear, I am a white Republican. Don’t pull any liberal crap with me. It was odd.

• Timmah says:

At least they got their shot. How many Asians and Native Americans got picked to perform?

• HMMMMMM says:

I wonder the percentage of those demographics that actually tried out this year. It was still upsetting that not one of the top five made the cut.

• danin says:

Timmah,right on…Native Americans I would love to see on this show! And win.Feel bad for dudes not caucasian..they barely figure in the mix no matter how good they are.And I’ve watched every season from the get go.

• Jobless says:

Honestly, none of them performed well enough last night for this to be an issue. George and Malcolm are both very talented but they both dropped the ball last night. CJ wasn’t great either and was lucky to be put through tonight. Just my opinion of course.

• HMMMMMM says:

It’s a matter of opinion and I believe CJ performed well enough to be a sure fire top five. I don’t think Vols super fan did.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Thanks, Jobless. I think you nailed. George and Malcolm needed to kill it – and they just didn’t.

• HMMMMMM says:

It’s like the draft in sports; draft on future ability or current stats. G and M have superstar ability based on their vocal range while others do not. Regardless, I don’t think anyone will buy Caleb’s album if he wins. There’s no appeal in the current market.

This is my ridiculous voting strategy. Let me vent :)

• MamaLis says:

Ya but what about Briana? She seems to me far better than Kristen.

Actually, why are we even arguing about color? Majesty. CJ got picked over Casey. Malaya Watson.

• Holly says:

I agree. My first thought was “look at all the white guys with guitars!” but once I considered the group I think the best 5 males got voted through by America. The girls group is very diverse, ethnically and musically. Should be interesting! And yes I agree with many that Malcolm, George and Brianna were robbed. Those 3 showed more promise in Hollywood than Bria or Spencer.

• Tom22 says:

Someone could make a pretty strong argument that if say.. you had 4 blond female ballad singers there would be “vote splitting” where even if there were a lot more ballad fans all could be eliminated if the ballad fans each only voted for 2 of the 4 . I did vote for CJ but I’ll admit that I did sort of consider him a country performer and liked the two white country performers too and thought.. jeeze.. do I really want 3 out of 5 guys being country singers? Just saying vote splitting can do weird things in ways that doesn’t really reflect voter choice in terms of hoping to include a wide range of styles for at least the first few weeks of the show. I am sort of making a devils advocate argument. The reality is I don’t know but vote splitting should at least be put in the hopper of consideration.

• Name That Tune says:

With 5 similar guys and limited voting, we’re a long way from “vote splitting”. I’ve got about 8 weeks to send 50 votes to each of the guys before I have to start limiting my choices and picking which one.

It’s a new game now. Next week I send 50 votes to the 12 I want to continue and skip the one I think should leave. Unless something drastic happens next Wednesday, the only one I won’t be voting for is Kristen.

• MAB says:

Isn’t it limited to 50 votes per voting method? How can you send 12 different people 50 votes.

• Name That Tune says:

It’s 50 votes per contestant. Sent 50 votes per contestant via the AI app in my Galaxy Note, then 50 votes for each of the top 5 guys via text messaging. I suppose I could have logged onto my computer and done it again as well as dial the phone 50 times for each contestant. But that’s pretty pointless.
            BTW, DIalIdol is pretty much useless now. The only contestants who even registered a score last night was Kristen and Malcolm.

• Smh says:

You have a point, based on the odds you would have thought at least one was going to get voted in. I knew the judges were going to have to select one. I am surprised Briana did not get a chance to sing. The KO girl they selected sounded horrible.

• Danny says:

Why are you ranting about it on this board? For the most part CJ got lots of praise yesterday. A lot of us were rooting for Malcolm and George. The latter 2 didn’t sing well. I don’t know what else to tell ya. There’s been quite a few black winners. 12 seasons and I think 4 winners (not sure if Jordan is considered white or black).

For the most part this board wants to talk about the contestants and not have some race war.

• HMMMMMM says:

Why don’t you read over my comment and politely stfu? It seems many felt compelled to respond to my opinion and offer a constructive response. I didn’t call out a race war; i offered a bonified observation that will be called out by the media over the next few days.

• Danny says:

Yea, but you ranted about how America voted. Except for CJ, none of them sang well. I would have had CJ in the top 5 over Dexter. The fact that he didn’t make it though isn’t some racial thing. CJ was the 2nd one to sing. It’s pretty common for the first few to not get a ton of votes.

I don’t think it was a racial thing at all. Unfortunately for Malcolm and George, they had rough nights. Emanual was in over his head.
          ….

• ben says:

Yeah. It isn’t a race thing. Sad that with 7 black guys in the top 16, only one got in. But America got to vote on 5 of them, and CJ was the only one who I’ve heard anyone argue genuinely performed well. I really liked Malcolm, I had him in my top 3 going into top 30, but he flunked. Sad, but not America’s fault.

• The Beach says:

I admit that I also noticed the lack of diversity once the Top 5 males had been picked but then when I looked at the bench of “not chosen” there wasn’t a single one that I thought performed as well as the 5 chosen.

• Dinah Reitman says:

Look, I am a proud liberal, but to accuse the judges of not caring about diversity, is just ridiculous. Just look at whom they chose for the top 30. If you have a problem with whom the finalists were, why don’t you blame the voting public? I don’t necessarily think that they chose the right 5 tonight to perform, but I would never accuse the judges of racial bias. That just gives conservatives ammunition to, once again, accuse people of playing the race card.

• Mama Son says:

CJ has to be in… as the token black guy. If not, Jessie and Al will be knocking on AI’s door. :)

• Tarc says:

1) All the African-American men didn’t sing well, and 2) they all sing genres that are no popular right now. CJ is the closest with a bit of Southern soul. R&B and all the lame, repetitive runs is out, out, out.

• Lunakit says:

Ya, it certainly was noticeable… at first I was happily impressed to see that 4 of the 10 guys who made it this far were black, but then none of them got voted in by Idol viewers… I’d like to think that it had more to do with their individual styles as much as anything else though.
      thought jump: …Joshua Ledet still pulls on my heart whenever I hear him sing. Why doesn’t he have an album yet?!?

• Its disheartening, but objectively I don’t think any of the performers tonight gave anything that was particularly better than someone else. The issue is that some of the performers who made it didn’t either. I feel meh about the whole thing, because from a talent perspective I can’t look at anyone who got eliminated and go, “he should be there and so and so shouldn’t.”

18. Chablis says:

Michael vomming? I learned a new word today :-)

Only one I’m sad about is Malcolm.

Thrilled Spenser gone. Did not see that coming. Or Marielle…..

19. Matt says:

I think the judges did a much better job with the WCs than they have in the past. Jena and CJ were absolutely right. I’m ok with Kristen being one of the 5 to sing and she was definitely in the top 3 of the ones they chose.

With that said for the life of me I don’t know what they see/saw in Bria and Spencer. Briana and George or Malcolm should have gotten the chance.

20. Josh says:

So HAPPY for Kristen! She is going to surprise for sure! I love her!

21. Smh says:

This is a very weak top 13 when it comes to live performances. Hopefully everyone’s nerves settle down next week. That was a sad looking bunch on the couch who did not get a chance to sing. Two of them should have been in the top 13.

• Teeny Bikini says:

@Smh. Agreed, I need them to settle in fast and bring it. I am really hoping for knock out performances *and* some originality. Fingers crossed.

• Danny says:

I actually think it’s going to be pretty solid. I think the format of the first round made for a lot of antsy performances. We’ll see how it plays out, but at the moment I’m thinking it’ll be a pretty good season.

• ben says:

I don’t think it will be a weak 13. Using this week as evidence is like saying you don’t think an alligator is dangerous because the stuffed one your neighbour has doesn’t look threatening at all. This week is meaningless, other than it showed who manages to cope with pressure ok and who doesn’t. The ones who did, survived. That should be a good sign.

• tewence says:

i think you’re right. aside from majesty, jena, and sam (and perhaps emily, if she can find her lane), i’m not excited about anybody. a bunch of fluff. mk is boring as crap. malaya, while entertaining needs to get herself under control. jessica…just what the eff. kristen is a wannabe. and the guys other than sam are almost one and the same. well, there’s caleb who i’m not fond of, but the other three are practically the same.

22. C.I.L.O says:

All things considered, this is actually a pretty solid top 13 (though it really is weird to not have a single blonde among it).

23. NoUntalentedPrettyBoys says:

No Spencer Lloyd, yay!

24. RRM says:

Other than Jena….would have preferred that Brianna was picked over Bria because her performance was a hot mess
    ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
    Spencer shouldn’t have been called in the first place his showing from Hollywood week prior to Top30 picks have been dismal and weak, but glad the judges got off the Spencer train early on.
    ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
    Mweh with the Malaya pick…there were far better singers from the 5 gals they let go during Top15 Girls. personally would have chosen any of the remaining 5 in exchange for Malaya, Bria and Marrialle for Top10…but I guess she’d have to do, could have been worse, Marrialle could’ve gotten picked
    ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
    Would’ve preferred Malcolm over Kristen but wth…we’ll see how next week fares hopefully they’ll be more refined than this week’s showing more so the girls than the guys
    ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
    LMAO on how the ovaries at twitter are exploding when Spencer wasn’t picked lol

25. DF says:

Briana is the one I’m going to miss. I’m glad they are giving C.J. another chance — he deserves it.

26. cogamimaje says:

Great TOP 13!
    Would have preferred JENA not singing for the wild card. She deserved that spot already.

Would still prefer KENZIE or JILLIAN over KRISTEN, but I’ll get over that. (well, eventually…. I hope… Hope Kenzie does go back next year, she’s gonna be great.)

Spencer… what a fool (sorry) great talent, great looks, but WRONG SONG again. If he sang say something or something close to that, he would have gone through. He made a bad call. Bad decision 2 nights in a row, that’s why the judges didnt give it to him.

Sam vs MK for the finale? Everyone down for that?
    Sam vs Jena?
    MK vs Jena?
    Alex vs Sam?
    Jena vs Alex?

• LB says:

I don’t think Spencer had a choice for his song. I think everyone chosen had to perform their Hollywood Week solo song.

• ben says:

I have Majesty Sam and MK as my top three. I’m not sure if I have an MK Sam final, though. Majesty is still my favourite to win right now. But unlike many other seasons, I feel like this season in particular is wide open.

27. analythinker says:

Hooray, no Spencer!!! And of course I had to chuckle for the fact that all guys are WGWG.

28. Spencer says:

Briana Oakley
    Marielle Sellars (I hated her but I thought the Judges LOVED her) *Producers
    Ben Briley
    Dexter Roberts

Wildcard: Briana, Ben, and Dexter

29. Kaba says:

I wouldn’t mind if every boy band and young male singer that was ever relevant on the charts would just sue Spencer for that song he wrote which was practically carbon copy of every public service announcement song stating “you’re beautiful just the way you are”…
    Can we just list every song his original sounded like?
    I’ll start with “What makes You Beautiful” and “Just The Way You Are”

30. Lo says:

If the top 4 are all WGWGs … I just cannot.

• Teeny Bikini says:

LOL @Lo. I would starting preparing for that now, but you never know. At least they’re all talented. I just love Alex though. He’s a legit musician/artist.

• Name That Tune says:

It’s setting up to be a top 5 of guys with one girl joining them. Take your pick between Majesty and MK. I think Majesty has a better voice, but MK knows how to connect to the lyrics. She’s a bit of an underdog and America loves an underdog.

• ben says:

Dexter won’t be making the top 4. Also, its very rare that the same genre can dominate, because it causes vote splitting. But I tend to think Alex, Ben and Sam all have genuine shots of winning.

• Name That Tune says:

But the strategy has changed with limited voting. Yesterday I sent 50 votes to each of the 5 guys I thought should advance. Only one I missed on was CJ because I placed him above Ben.
        I’m not worried about splitting votes at top 4 or 5. There’s still plenty of room to vote for your 4 favorites and simply not vote for your least favorite.

• Ben says:

You might. But you will limit the effectiveness of your voting by voting for everyone but one. If your least favourite comes first despite you not voting for them, you’ve had no impact at all on who goes home.

Generally speaking, at that end of the show the reason why vote splitting occurs is because people move to their preferences and to keeping most particular favourites in – not simply voting every single person they like. I don’t think that has really changed much despite the voting restrictions. In addition to this, most people are, I think, fairly unlikely to be taking your strategy.

• Name That Tune says:

If my least favorite somehow manages to get the most votes, then so be it. But we suffered through Lazaro last season because there was no way to vote him off. I’d say that was the same issue with Jacob Lusk. The way the game is played now, you have a chance to actually vote someone off, although it is indirect.
            And there isn’t any reason to split my vote between 2 similar singers. If I like all the WGWGs, I can send them all 50 votes each. Until we get to point where there isn’t more contestants than there are slots available. And we’re 8 weeks away from that.

• RealityCheck says:

I wouldn’t mind a WGWG winner provided they are extremely talented. I just couldn’t get with P2 although my mom loved him. I am rooting for Majesty Rose and MK right now! On a side note although the judges sucked last season (and by judges I mean Icky Minaj & RJ) I thought talent prevailed with a Candace/Kree finale.

• Miss Otis Regrets... says:

I just cannot deal with all the focus on marginalising people by their race. It’s not fair to anyone to do that.

31. MAB says:

I am not sure yet how I feel about the top 13. I am shocked that Briana wasn’t even asked to sing. I like Jena and Majesty out of the girls and Alex and Sam out of the boys, Sam being my favorite. I think Ben and Dexter are inter-changeable. So happy that Marielle and Emmanuel were not chosen as wild cards. Maybe the new voting format really works because if it was the unlimited I am sure Spencer would have gotten in. Except for Sam we have large teddybear type guys. If a guy does win this year there will be no screams that the only reason a guy won is because he is cute. Unless it is Sam who I think is loaded with talent, has something special and happens to be a cutie pie. Yet his cuteness is appealing more to the teens than the cougars.

32. Happy all of my favorites made it. I hate to say it, but in regards to the WGWG being predominant amongst the guys I can’t say its wrong. Yes, I would have liked for Malcolm or George to sneak in, but they were hardly robbed either.

33. Adam Fachry says:

Some mild shockers:

– Kristen O’Connor whose bland and cannon fodder persona got into the top 13 when her chances for the throne are extremely slim
    – Spencer didn’t get in even though it’s a relief on my part. Guess the tweens are growing up and the cougars finally find real life boy toys they can play with instead of constantly fantasizing about this douche.

Not mad at the eliminations whatsoever since none of them are worth rooting for. I am, however, still mad at the eliminations of Briston, Savion, David, and Brandy. #NeverForget

I’d root for Majesty, Ben, Malaya, and Jena. I’m beginning to question CJ at the moment, given how more and more underwhelming he gets.

34. Owen says:

Unfortunately for Spencer, I think they were required to sing their Hollywood song, which he already knew the judges didn’t like.

35. marie says:

Very glad the judges gave CJ a wildcard spot. I was disappointed when the voters put through Ben while leaving CJ behind.
    Personally, I’d have preferred Bria over Jena, but I can live with it although I’m decidedly NO Jena fan.
    I’m not going to miss Spencer. And I still have a hard time remembering who the heck Kristen is. But I’m looking forward to hearing more from (in no particular order) Sam, CJ, Majesty, Alex, MK, Caleb, and perhaps Dexter and Jessica. This has the potential to be a very entertaining season.

• Name That Tune says:

marie – Kristen is the one JLo was fawning all over on Tuesday.
      And she did a very forgettable version of Unconditionally during the Green Mile.

• marie says:

Thanks, yeah, it’s more that when they called her to sing tonight, I actually had forgotten all about her. She is not very memorable.

36. CJ says:

My only switch: Brianna for Malaya.

Other than that, I’m pretty happy with the choices that were made (given the choices we had)

37. AlyB says:

I thought for sure CJ would have gotten through on votes. I was sorry to see he didn’t but wow was I relieved he snagged the wild card spot. Can’t say I’m sorry to see Spencer go. I had resigned myself to having to endure his smug mediocrity the rest of the season. Malcolm would have been a better choice to sing for that spot and I would have preferred him as a wild card over Kristen but I’m not heartbroken over it. Overall I’m happy with the final 13. Favs going in are Emily and Malaya of the girls and Sam and CJ of the guys. I’m not locked in and am genuinely looking forward to hearing all of them sing. I don’t think we’ve had anything close to a wow Idol moment though Jena gave a terrific performance tonight. A lot of this group is capable of delivering something like that though. I hope they do.

38. Khs says:

Wow I am extremely happy with the top 13! I think a lot of great girls were left in the Chamber of Doom on Tuesday night, however the right ones were chosen from the group we were given. Also have to admit I squealed in delight when J. Lo said CJ and not Spencer..you go girl!!!!And Michael–please stop trying to make Malcolm happen.

39. Andie says:

I’m sorry, who is Kristen?

Like the Silence in Doctor Who, I literally forget about her every time she is not on screen. She is so bland and forgettable!

40. LizzieB says:

There was no mention of how many millions of votes came in though? Ryan usually starts off by saying that..or is it not to be mentioned until top 13 results? Was just curious how the limited voting changed the show’s voting record.

• Name That Tune says:

With limited voting and only 9.9 million viewers, you aren’t going to hear them gush over the 125 million votes that were cast.

41. HMMMMMM says:

I’m done venting over the horrible selections. I’m just hoping Alex and Sierra make it BIG!

42. Rex Master says:

Spencer Lloyd: Na-na-nah-na, na-na-nah-na, hey, hey, hey, goodbye

43. Dinah Reitman says:

I thought tonight was a disappointment. I agree that Brianna got snubbed, unfairly. I also think that Harry has been relentless in his harsh criticisms of the contestants. I thought Bria’s performance far exceeded some of the others, who performed tonight, and deserved to be put through. That said, so many who had been eliminated prematurely, due to scheduling constraints, if nothing else, got screwed this season. So much of the success of these contestants, at least in the early rounds, is due, at least in part, to the judges’ subjective whims. Tonight, I really think that the choosing of the 5 to perform, was a flawed process.

• Teeny Bikini says:

LOL. I like that Harry is relentless. I think some of them got off easy. I agree that Brianna really, really deserved another shot. Her technique and skill is so much better than both Kristen and Bria, but it was not to be. sad face here

44. Owen says:

Did you notice, that mostly all the best performances from Rush Week got voted in? America was actually paying attention. That Spencer did not get voted into the Top 5 guys is actually quite amazing. Two black girls got in, if CJ, Malcolm, George or Emmanuel had killed it (or even come semi-close) I believe they too would have been included. I don’t think its Idol racism. It’s America PAYING ATTENTION!! Like we have always wanted them to. They weren’t going back to auditions or Hollywood week, or who they wanted as their pretend boyfriend. They voted on their reactions to the week’s performances.

• Holly says:

What we saw tonight was a very refreshing result of Idol finally putting a limit on how many times one individual can vote. Smarmy mediocrity (Spencer) can only get so far with limits put on the tween vote.

• tealeaves says:

America voted thru 4 WGWG’s and the rocker guy. It’s good to know that is now to be applauded as America gets it right because the votes are limited! lol. America also voted thru both of the girls who played guitar this week, which is Majesty and Jessica.
        I do applaud America for getting it right. I attribute that in part to how much we had seen of the contestants up to this week. No one just came out of nowhere. No one got voted thru just because they were one of the few contestants who had name recognition and a promoted back story.

• Name That Tune says:

I’m hoping that limited voting had something to do with it. I know I picked the 5 best guys and girls and sent them 50 votes each.
      Beats the heck out the old days when you had to vote like crazy to feel like it mattered.

• marie says:

Yes. Limited voting is very, very welcome. I simply won’t and can’t stay up for hours after the show voting until my fingers bleed, so I haven’t voted much over the past few seasons because I felt that even if I wasted half an hour of my life voting when there are better things I could be doing (like reading Slezak’s column), it wouldn’t make any impact and so it would be time TRULY wasted. Last night, I voted at Idol’s website; it was simple, took no time at all, and I felt like my votes would really count. Viva limited voting.

• Jared says:

Yes, it is quite shocking that America didn’t vote Spencer in right away.

45. LeahKittyS says:

And now, a continuation of “American Idols and the Treasure of the Twelve Kingdoms”

(Scene: the open ocean. In an effort to get their spirits up after the events a few days ago, the surviving crew of the QUEEN HALEY are singing their signature sailing song. When it is done, they cheer.)
    Malaya: Man, I feel so much better!
    Ben: Tell me about it!
    Emily: And with this wind, we should be at the island in-
    Alex: (from the crow’s nest) Land ho!
    Jessica: How about right now?
    (Everybody rushes to the side and looks out at the tropical island, getting bigger as they come closer to it.)
    Dexter: I can’t believe it. We made it!
    Caleb: Take her in, Majesty! I’m ready for some treasure hunting!
    (Majesty turns the helm towards the island, and the ship pulls onto the sand. The gangplank is lowered.)
    Majesty: All right, guys, this is it. This is the island of Solumager, home of the Twelve Kingdoms. As soon as we step off, we’re one step closer to finding the Treasures of the Monarchs. Where’s the map?
    M.K.: It’s… (nervous) still in the captain’s cabin.
    Sam: Oh, boy. Who wants to risk it?
    CJ: I might as well. Somebody has to, or we’re stuck.
    Jena: Good luck.
    (CJ hesitantly opens the door to Captain Harry’s cabin. Harry is asleep and still tied up, but mutters curses and blasts at some unknown enemy. CJ carefully approaches the desk, grabs the map, exits, and rejoins the others.)
    CJ: Phew. Here it is.
    Kristen: Great. Now we’re ready to go!
    Bria: Wait! We shouldn’t all go! Who will watch the ship?
    Spencer: Yeah, we don’t need a repeat of last time. Natives can be tough, and we shouldn’t risk the longboats.
    Briana: And who’s going to take care of the injured ones?
    Malcolm: And keep the captain from breaking loose? We don’t know when he’ll recover.
    Majesty: All right, then. Show of hands. Who volunteers to stay behind?
    (Bria, Briana, Emmanuel, George, Malcolm, Marialle, and Spencer all raise their hands.)
    Marialle: Wait, so is Majesty the new captain all of a sudden?
    George: Why not? She’s been the first mate all this time.
    Emmanuel: And she’s already giving orders and all.
    Majesty: (Chuckles) Sorry, it’s a habit. But you’re right; it shouldn’t automatically be me. We’re all cut out for it, I think. Hmm. (Pauses)
    Sam: I have an idea. How about, whoever is first to see the last of the treasures gets to be the new captain.
    Alex: I like that idea. But that means everyone who says behind is forfeiting their chance.
    Malcolm: Oddly enough, I’m okay with that.
    Briana: Same here.
    Malaya: Then it’s settled. We’ll go and keep our eyes out for the treasure. You guys stay here and mind the ship.
    Emily: Take care of the others, and don’t let Harry gets his hands on that gun!
    Majesty: Spencer, Bria, I’m putting you two in charge until I get back.
    Bria: We won’t let you down.
    Spencer: (To the crew staying behind) All right, we should take turns watching the captain’s door. Briana, Malcolm, you go first. I’ll call you off when it’s time to switch.
    (The crew falls into place while the thirteen adventurers descend the gangplank onto the white sand. They make their way into the jungle, but Ben stops short.)
    Ben: Uh, guys? (Pointing) We got company.
    (The others look to see another band of pirates walking along the beach. These guys are rougher and tougher than the crew of the QUEEN HALEY. The adventurers jump into the bushes and listen.)
    Black-guts: How much farther, captain?
    Black-beard: Until I say so, Black-guts. Now get a move on!
    Black-tooth: But we’re going in circles! We ain’t even found the kingdom yet!
    Black-beard: (Turns with his sword out) Are ye questioning me, scum? (Sheathes his sword) No more chatter. I want the first piece of the Monarchs’ treasure in my hands before sundown! Now let’s move!
    (The pirates march on. The sailors of the QUEEN HALEY emerge.)
    Jessica: Wow. The captain was right. There is someone else after the treasure.
    Alex: And they don’t look like the kind to do right by it.
    Dexter: So we’re not gonna let them get their hands on it. Come on, let’s see if we can beat them to the first one!
    Kristen: I’ve got the map.
    Jena: And I’ve got the compass.
    CJ: So what are we waiting for? Let’s go dig up some treasure!
    (The thirteen of them set out into the jungle together, Majesty leading the way and Caleb bringing up the rear.)
    TO BE CONTINUED…

• Elle says:

This isn’t really the right kind of message board to post fanfic.

• LeahKittyS says:

Maybe you’re new here, but people ask for my stories. I have a following here, and I’m not going to let them down. It started with a joke I made about how last year, the guys were being picked off one by one, like in a horror movie. Now I’m back by popular demand with a more upbeat story. Enjoy if you want to, skip over it if you don”t. :)

• Elle says:

I’ve been reading Slezak’s recaps for five years, so I’m actually a longtime fan of his. That’s awesome that you want to write fanfic. But your posts are pretty long and they take up lots of space on the front page of the comments section that could otherwise include more on-topic posts. Maybe you could post a link to your story on another site. Just my suggestion :)

• Ben says:

It would make room for exactly one other front page post. The length of comments on here is irrelevant, as is the number of replies they get. Each page has room for exactly 50 level one comments, no matter what their content – and then all the replies to them stick on the front page. Your suggestion would take up exactly the same amount of front page real estate, and would not allow for any more on-topic posts – it would merely look smaller.

• Sarah says:

Elle, people here asked her to stop last year – she refuses. Easier just to ignore her. She’s like the resident Danny Gokey- convinced she’s doing us a favor all evidence to the contrary:)

• LeahKittyS says:

@Sarah Hey, complain to the fans. I wasn’t actually planning on writing another story this year. But then people asked me about it, and I didn’t want to disappoint them. If so many people are bothered then I won’t do it next year. But for now I can’t leave my audience, however small it may be, hanging.

• LKStinks says:

Hey fans, I am complaining. Okay, LeahKittyS? Will you STOP now?

• Jerz says:

Since you like to write, Ms KittyLitter, please compose and post a list of the names of those on Michael Slezak’s board who requested that your fan fiction be included here.

• LeahKittyS says:

Okay, fine. Here is the list of everyone who has ever expressed interest in my work.

Danny, darcy’s evil twin, My Alter Ego, Timmah, Lana, Ben, Nephtalia, Elizabeth, Guitar Blue, MB, TheGirlsRock, withgoddess, analythinker, elizabeth3613431, Sue C., Justin

That enough for you?

• Jerz says:

define “interest in you work” : D

• LeahKittyS says:

Interest means they either asked for more from me or just complimented what they saw.

• MaryMissingMalcolm says:

You counted 16 peeps demonstarting interest in your fan fiction and 23 say it’s inappropriate to post it on this website.

• ben says:

Leah got a judges wild card to post her fanfic here.

• LeahKittyS says:

LOL! Thank you, Ben. Great job last night, by the way.

• elizabeth3613431 says:

Keep up the good work, Leah! You know the internet is full of people who just like to complain. I for one am enjoying the story. Light-hearted fun never hurt a soul. And those who don’t want to read are not obliged to do so.

• MAB says:

People do not have to mean here. I enjoy the stories also. Just don’t read if you don’t like them. I find reading her stories a lot more enjoyable than some of the mean spirited, negative post we get on this list. Some of the mean, mean things that are said about some of the contestants are so cringe worthy. I can not believe all the mean post about Spencer. I am not saying he should have been one of the top 13 but you don’t even now this guy and so many were ripping him apart and attacking him like he was the anti-Christ or something. These kids, and they are kids, read these post. My heart really goes out to them. It is bad enough that they didn’t make it but then they have to be made fun of and ripped apart by people who don’t even know them.

• LKStinks says:

What is this drivel?

• MrsRamone says:

No. Just no.

46. tewence says:

Way to waste wild card spots, judges. Looks like a guy or majesty or Jena will win this year.

47. Davey says:

Glad to read others liked Briana who was good last night and deserved another chance.

48. Mary says:

I am actually happy with the results, even wild card except Malcolm should be there over Dexter. THANK YOU AMERICA and JUDGES for not putting Spencer through. I liked how fast tonight show went. Unless they have a great guest performer there is no reason to drag out the results. I hope the contestants settle in and start putting on great performances. First show jitters are out of the way so no more excuses. So happy that Jena made it , wish it was with America vote but I will settle for WC. Let the games begin.

49. trimaran12 says:

The selections are mostly right in the end, considering the pool of talent presented for voting. I hope the producers learn from this overall lack of good performances. Please allow the contestants some advance warning of their performances and give them some time to breathe and center themselves a bit before hand. I don’t know what drama they thought might get, but they would have gotten better buzz from a bunch of great performances, imo.

50. Baxwest says:

I was pleased by the results show, overall. I liked that they cut right to the chase, and for the most part, didn’t dick around with the viewers’ emotions.

I only wish the show was better on the previous two nights. I’ve been telling friends who aren’t Idol fans that this is a year to watch – great talent, no drama on the judges’ panel – and then that train wreck on Tuesday. Wednesday’s show was only marginally better.

So I’ll take tonight, and hope things pick up again next week.