Bravo Greenlights Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce, Starring Lisa Edelstein and Janeane Garafalo

castle-lisa-edelsteinHouse‘s Lisa Edelstein and Reality BitesJaneane Garafalo are officially two of Bravo’s new Girlfriends.

The cabler ordered 13 episodes of its first-ever scripted drama, Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce, on Wednesday.

The series, based on Vicki Iovine’s best-selling series, follows Abby (Edelstein), a self-help book author in Los Angeles who hides the fact that she’s separated from her husband.

As she seeks guidance from her divorced friends — including hard-nosed entertainment lawyer Lyla (Garafalo) and former model Phoebe (Beau Garrett, Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior) — she has some life-changing experiences.

Paul Adelstein (Private Practice) plays Abby’s husband in the pilot, which also features a cameo by Carrie Fisher (Star Wars) as Abby’s book editor.

Marti Noxon (Buffy the Vampire SlayerPrivate Practice) penned the pilot and will executive-produce with Dawn Olmstead (Prison Break), Iovine, Meryl Poster (Project Runway), Adam Brooks and Universal Cable Productions.

Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce is slated to premiere in 2015.

Comments (26)

• Lisa Edelstein was cast months ago wasn’t she? Really happy about Garafalo.

Comment by Kaycee – February 19, 2014 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really excited for this show, loved Lisa on House and Garafalo and Garrett were my favourite parts of CM: Suspect Behaviour.

Comment by Kaycee – February 19, 2014 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Lisa E and I’m glad she would be back on my TV but a part of me hates that this show will be on Bravo. I mean, of all the trashy networks…

Comment by Ava – February 19, 2014 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Teen Wolf and Awkward show that even trashy networks can have good scripted shows, as long as they’re hands off the creative team.

Comment by Cesar88 – February 19, 2014 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • E! is developing scripted material too. If it means giving a job to these talented performers, without the restrictions of Network tv, then I say bring it!

Comment by Hannah – February 19, 2014 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I couldn´t be happier. I love Lisa Edelstein and i´ve wanted her to have her own show for a long time.

Comment by Lya – February 19, 2014 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy about this. If anybody deserves their own show it’s Lisa!

Comment by D – February 19, 2014 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is wonderful news! Edelstein is extremely talented and this show already sounds like a real treat. I’m really happy to be able to watch her as a leading lady on her own show. So overdue.

Comment by Riley – February 19, 2014 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They have inside the actors studio, which is the opposite of trashy

Comment by Julia Jones – February 19, 2014 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Lisa Edelstein and Janeane Garafalo, can’t stand andy-cohenned Bravo. Hope the scripted television will help to bring this channel back to its original pre-NBCU roots. I miss the time when they used to run Classical Arts Showcase overnight…

Comment by Oldtimer – February 19, 2014 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well the good news is that Andy Cohen have scaled back from his executive duties so he’s basically no longer running Bravo.

Comment by James – February 19, 2014 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I can’t stand Andy Cohen, Watch What Happens Live! or any of those trashy reality shows. If it weren’t for those stupid shows, Bravo wouldn’t exist.

Comment by Lori Maven Garrett – February 19, 2014 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If VH1 can launch solid scripted dramas I have faith Bravo could do the same, especially given the cast of Lisa and Janeane.

Comment by Jared – February 19, 2014 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not sure that Single Ladies can qualify as that, but I have faith.

Comment by Hannah – February 19, 2014 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bravo you are doing the right thing. Lisa Edelstein is simply amazing. What a wonderful actress.

Comment by OK – February 19, 2014 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You guys really need to put a more recent picture of Lisa in your articles. This was like 10 years ago.

Comment by Cuneo – February 19, 2014 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait to see this show. BRAVO, for Lisa E!

Comment by Karen – February 19, 2014 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lisa Edelstein is terrific and IMO her most memorable and most wonderfully played role to date is Lisa Cuddy on “House”. That said…there’s no doubt in my mind that she will be terrific in the role of Abby in “Girlfriend’s Guide”. Lisa is just one of those actresses who shines in anything she does. Her warm and friendly personality make her incredibly likeable and her versatility and consummate professionalism make her a great asset to any show and a favorite among her colleagues.

And BTW, I also think that “Girlfriends Guide” could definitely add some class to Bravo network!

Best of luck to Lisa, Marti, and the cast & crew. I will definitely be tuning in!

Comment by Jess Clackum (@JessicaClackum) – February 19, 2014 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lisa E is smart, sassy, witty, funny. I hope the writing on this show does her justice. Showcase her intellect and her wit, not her physical assets. Make this a thinking woman’s show! We need more of that.

Comment by Chris G. – February 19, 2014 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What do you mean Bravo’s first ever scripted series? If Vanderpump Rules isn’t scripted, then I’m the Tooth Fairy, Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny all wrapped into one.

Comment by Ray – February 19, 2014 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well Santa, for this Christmas I’d like a trampoline and pony. Oh and any leftover chocolate from Easter Mr. Bunny.

Comment by darcywilson – February 20, 2014 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This looks promising.

Comment by Keith – February 20, 2014 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great cast and premise. I just wish it were starting this year.

Comment by Sarah – February 20, 2014 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pass.

Comment by Yawn – February 20, 2014 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news! Lisa deserved an own show already !

Comment by Cuddy's lawyer – February 20, 2014 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait! Lisa is an amazing actress and i’m sure she’ll rock it.

Comment by bruna c – February 20, 2014 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post