The Voice Shake-Up: Cee Lo Green Confirms Exit

Cee Lo Green Leaving The VoiceThe Voice has silenced Cee Lo Green.

In an interview set to air on Wednesday’s Ellen DeGeneres Show, the musician/mentor confirmed that he won’t be returning to NBC’s hit singing competition next fall.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

“I’m not coming back at all,” he told DeGeneres, adding, “I’m going to continue my relationship with NBC. I have a television show development deal with them as well and hopefully some other talk show opportunities for later in the year. But yeah, I’m going to miss The Voice, too.”

The Voice returns with its sixth season on Feb. 24 with original judges Blake Shelton and Adam Levine once again being joined by spring replacements Shakira and Usher.

Watch Green’s announcement below and then share your replacement wish list in the comments!

1. JJM says:

Not even sure how someone with no talent even got a chair on this show to begin with.

2. Miranda says:

Will miss the entertainment value of the original line-up of judges but he’s had the tendency to ruin his own singer’s chances in the competition which have been frustrating to watch.

3. spindae2 says:

Taylor Swift! ;) LOL.
    But no serious now Kelly Clarkson to see here, or Cher she was great last year with Blake

4. alistaircrane says:

Damn. He always picks great contestants who would otherwise be overlooked by the other coaches.

• lori says:

Completely agree. Sad to see him go.

• JM says:

Agree. He is great at finding talent.

• Jon says:

@alistaircrane, ITA. Cee Lo picked some of my favorite Voice contestants ever, like Amanda Brown, Vicci Martinez, Jamar Rogers, Trevin Hunte, Caroline Pennell, Nicholas David, and Juliet Simms. He specialized in the more unconventional singers who are sadly usually overlooked by the music biz as well. I’ll miss Cee Lo’s wacky outfits, stable of pets (especially Purrfect the Cat), and funny outbursts (“I love those boots. Did you get those at ALDO?”).

5. Pedro says:

Rumors say Adam will be out for s7 because of the new Maroon 5 album so I wonder if next fall we’ll have Blake, Xtina, Usher and Shakira?

6. Danger Moose says:

He’ll have more time to stalk and drug women.

• ChicagoDan says:

I was surprised that he was still on this fall after I heard about the allegations – especially since they took a big step forward a few months ago. Notice that TVL has been quite silent on these legal matters.

7. Ange says:

I like the line up better with Shakira and Usher and found it repulsive with Cee-Lo because of his constant inappropriate comments.

8. Lisa Anderson says:

Lil John as a replacement, smart guy and great personality

9. DavidSask says:

I am happy Ceelo is leaving as he deserved better treatment than what he got from the fellow judges and contestants in judge picks! Usher would be stupid to stay on full time with his movie music and kids,Sharkira is currently flopping music wise and Xtina needs some riling up so move her to full-time!

• A305 says:

you haven’t read up on Shakira at all. she is successful just now with her new songs. and her new self-titled album is coming in a few weeks. and it will be a gr8 album. but i can’t see Shakira staying on the voice even if i love her on the show. she has a son to take care of and she will probably plan a world tour too. and as for Xtina yea she could stay but she can be so damn annoying so i’m not sure if i want her on the show at all. but she will probably back out becuz she is pregnant with her second child.

10. Bob Johnson says:

So he can continue his non-existent, one-hit-wonder, career?

11. DL says:

I’ve fully enjoyed his tenure as a judge, and I wish him the best of luck in his next endeavors.

12. San says:

Can we have John Legend on the show? I think he’ll be a great judge on The Voice plus he really does have an amazing voice. Or Kelly Clarkson after her pregnancy, it’ll be a riot to have her. She already have chemistry with Blake and Adam and it’ll be fun to watch her battling out contestants with Xtina.

13. Paula says:

I would love to watch another female judge in the Voice, maybe Kally Clarckson or Cher? She was amazing as Blake’s coach.

14. Mary Godin says:

I love Usher and I’m glad he’s back!!!!!!!! Never liked Celo.

15. Frederick Green says:

Surprised Cee Lo would leave…I wonder if it’s more to it. He hasn’t had big success after his hit single “Forget You”. I enjoyed him….I think it’s a bad move but oh well. I’ll see him on the Lionel Richie tour though!

16. Fernanda says:

Voice producers would cast another famous couch from other countries like Will I Am, the perfect choice to substitute Cee Lo or Seal

• S. says:

Will.I.Am is pretty insufferable. I couldn’t believe Idol had been trying to get him. He’s said some pretty obnoxious things to journalists just asking questions that anybody would ask. What a relief that they got Harry instead.

17. abz says:

I’d like to see Christina and Shakira together in the fall season.

18. Tran 2.0 says:

Usher is destined to be a front runner to replace Cee Lo in the upcoming Fall cycle of The Voice.

19. Sunny says:

Good luck to Cee Lo. While he would pick contestants that would otherwise be overlooked, he had the tendency to give them crappy song choices!! It was so annoying. So moving right along, here are my picks to replace Cee Lo…

1. Lenny Kravitz
    2. Usher
    3. John Legend
    4. Pharrell Williams
    5. Cher

20. A says:

Please please please let Usher stay forever

21. shar says:

Cher, Cher, Cher, Cher, Cher, Cher, Cher, Cher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Ryan says:

Ingrid Michaelson, Sara Bareilles?

23. Timmah says:

Ben Folds!

24. Sara says:

I am more sad about this than I thought I would be. Some of his contestants from years past have been my favorites (Cody and Jonny, for example), but it has always been disappointing that he somehow couldn’t lead them further. This past season, you could see his frustration that the audience didn’t seem to connect with his contestants. I don’t know if it was in part because of the fact that it seems a big chunk of the audience didn’t connect with him as they do with the other three, but it is possible. I personally love his wacky energy and will miss it and him. I look forward to seeing what he does in the future.

25. Name That Tune says:

After last night’s Idol, I can’t wait for The Voice to return.

26. Joe says:

I enjoyed CeeLo as a personality but as a coach, he was the worst. He really leaned towards making his contestants do 80’s karaoke than encourage them to be individual artists. He’s fun on the panel, but I think he was honestly the last choice for most contestants.

• Ty says:

He was the last choice, which is a shame because all the top talent wanted to just pick Adam or blake usually. Same happened with usher as well though. Don’t get the top talent, don’t win.

27. Nathan Vinson says:

I think Pharell or Cher would make excellent choices.

28. Terry says:

Good. I could never understand a word he said.

29. Adrian says:

Hat about will I am I think he will be great and he is a liittle bit weird like cee lo too….

30. DavidSask says:

Adam and Blake need a rest from their egos and tired routine! Shakira is not doing well at moment so she can stay on and irk Xtina. Usher is too popular with his new movie, music and custody of kids to stay there! (Cher, Kelly Clarkson, Ryan Tedder all nice options) DO NOT cast anyone from the UK or AUS. versions!!!!

31. Emily says:

Bruno mars would be a good replacement. I don’t think it will happen, but I would love for it to.

32. Sue says:

Gloria Estefan, Justin Timberlake, Bruno Mars or Cher.

33. EspoLady says:

What the huh?
    I’m sure they’ll find a appropriate replacement, or have Usher or Shakira step in on rotation (or permanently) in his place, but what’s with all the Cee-lo hate?

I think whether or not the allegations are true, shows and the personality in question usually tend to part ways in these instances – it’s likely just easier for both parties.
    NBC is still going to be working with him, which to me indicated that they see him as innocent until proven guilty.

But seriously, he wasn’t always the least desired coach. He represents the unconventional. Yes, sometimes he said fairly creepy things – but there were a lot of contestants who were happy, if not thrilled to work with Cee-lo. Some couldn’t WAIT to be on his team, and were gunning for his chair to be the one to turn. (Remember James Massone’s breakdown, or Jamar Rogers’ elation? More Recently Kat Robichaud called him a soul-mate…)

I always found that he turned for the most varied artists. He didn’t always win them, but he had quite an open mind to who he could work with, whereas a team like Blake’s was very… “Blake”.
    (Don’t get me wrong, I love Blake and see why he doesn’t turn for people who he thinks are talented, but wouldn’t match his wheelhouse well.)
    I think he’s just a lil too out there for everyone to see what he sees… not everyone is a Juliet Simms, Vicci Martinez, Nicolas David of Kat Robichaud. They seemed to connect with his vision, and his ideas fit well on them.

If anything, I think Adam has dropped the ball just as much as Cee-lo. Sure, he’s won twice, but he’s had many strong front runners and still managed to lose with them. Xtina has yet to win or have finalist be runner up. We can’t judge Shakira and Usher based on one run, but Shakira didn’t have the strongest showing either.
    It’s essentially a matter of how well America connects with the coach, their coaching, and the singers performances, as well as their bond with the coach. Someone like Blake who is extremely likable, sees no wrong with anyone on his team does (usually), and has this family like connection is a big appeal. Cee-lo pushes limits, and doesn’t always see things the way others do. If he thinks something is or isn’t, he’ll say just that.

Seems like use a “Rock”, “Pop(/Latin)”, “Country” and “R&B/Hip-hop” coach formula. Each coach has stepped outside their label, and done fairly well, though. So maybe they’ll change that mix, but likely they’ll find someone of a similar genre to step in should Shakira or Usher not be free.

Even with the ups and downs, and let downs and surprises, I’ve enjoyed all seasons of The Voice so far.
    I hope they find someone to continue that run, and Cee-lo will be missed, at the very least, by me.

34. adreyesatl says:

I think Kelly Rowland would be an ideal candidate. I’d also love to see P!nk in the chair.

35. Robin Harris says:

I’m not understanding about allegations that he has made. I’m older so I did not know at the time who he was until I saw him on the Voice. I really enjoyed him. I liked his style and the way he gave praise to the singers that came on. I did not find him intimidating at all. Lets get real aren’t we all guilty of saying the wrong things at the wrong time!. So if he said things that weren’t quite right I did not see it.

36. Carol says:

Watched the show last night…Absolutely a fabulous show… Glad to have Usher and Shakira back… I didnt watch it last season, couldnt stand the Christina antics. especially after seeing the classy Shakira for her first season…. The judges made it fun and the talent was superb… This is going to be a great season….. Good luck all.

37. John Rhee says:

Both Ce-Lo Green (if he does not get his own show) and Christina Aguilera would be good addition on American Idol for next season replacing J-Lo, plus adding a fourth judge. They both along Harry & Keith can be four judges as mentors too to coach the contestants (similar to this show).