The 10 Things We Absolutely Hated About Jimmy Fallon's Historic Tonight Show Debut

It would be easy to hop aboard the bandwagon of near-universal praise for Jimmy Fallon‘s maiden voyage as host of The Tonight Show on NBC. But keeping it completely real, we can’t say we loved absolutely everything about the hour.

RELATED | Jimmy Fallon’s Tonight Show Launches With a Parade of Cameos, Rooftop Concert — Grade It!

And so, with the acknowledgement that constructive criticism can only make Fallon’s tenure at the late-night institution funnier, smarter and more addictive, we’ve cooked up a list of the 10 Things We Hated About His Tonight Show Debut.

Click through the gallery below for a list of the weeds Fallon might want to consider pulling from his late-night garden, then hit the comments with your thoughts.

1. Gemma says:

I don’t think I’ve ever agreed with an article more than this one. Well played

2. receptionitis66 says:

LOL I was about to be so offended by this article… and then I read it! Love this!

3. cj says:

I miss Jay so much. He is so natural and comfortable. Fallon is off putting somehow. And his show is flat. His awe-shucks thing is so lame. The FIRST and only the first monologue joke was funny about the Russian team missing but after that not one other joke was funny. And when i realized we were just getting late night as the tonight show with the Superlatives… I changed the channel. I came back for the musical act, and thought it was a cool spot to do it, but it was so tiny and claustraphobic I couldn’t watch for fear someone was going to fall off the ledge.

I have a feeling all this Jimmy love is more about sticking it to Leno than actually enjoying Jimmy. And I applaud you sir for pointed out 10 – only 10?- things that stunk about the show.

4. Barbara Darlin says:

Totally agree! She must have been pushed on his new show. No other reason.

5. amadeline says:

Love this! Why indeed! I’m one of those people who had no idea who she was, and now that I do… again WHY?

6. jdbasset says:

This made my day! Seriously funny. She’s just so awful……

7. Sara says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, well played,sirs, well played!

8. Larry says:

I guess I will never understand why people get so angry at celebrities even those who are only famous for a big butt and a sex tape. Seems like a waste of time.

9. I don’t watch reality TV so I’m proud to say that I didn’t even recognize her.

10. Johnny says:

The show was doing OK UNTIL the Kartrashian fat chick came out. I said to myself, “WTF!” PLEASE – PLEASE, Jimmy, do NOT put any of the Kartrashian members on your future shows. You will lose a ton of fans!

• Larry says:

Seems unlikely they would leave over that, and fat seems a bit strong not a size 2 but still.

But yes that show they do is not one I watch. Just don’t see point of getting upset about celebrities.

11. Steve Ungrey says:

Fantastic editorial! Made me laugh hysterically! Thanks Michael!

12. Steven says:

I’m not a kardashian fan at all but this post was incredibly petty and unnecessary

13. Diane says:

why was kk chosen to send off and usher in the tonight show hosts? Is she that much of a draw? Carson -how far has your show fallen?

14. katedfw says:

Greatness! Best laugh of the week so far!

15. Maria says:

THIS IS AMAZING!!!

16. Name That Tune says:

So as long as Jimmy avoids The Kardashian Clan, his show should be on for 20 years.

17. Lola says:

Like most people, I clicked on this expecting to be irritated by some overcritical poopheads. I was wrong. Oh so wrong. Well played, Sirs!

18. Heather says:

This is the best! My thoughts exactly! I was going why is she there??

19. Carm says:

FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Gina says:

I came into this article ready to spit nails….But now I love everything about it.

21. Dee says:

This was too awesome!! I completely agree! I was enjoying myself until she came out and messed up my spirits!!

22. Paige says:

That was great!!

23. Jacob Fehr says:

After reading the title I came into this article feeling as if there would be no need for the cynicism I was about to read. I couldn’t of been more wrong.

24. Marianne says:

This post is basically why I love TVline! Stay gold Tvline, stay gold.

25. GeoDiva says:

Thank you!

26. Sarah says:

By far the most genius thing ever written. EVER.

27. Lauren says:

Hahahahaha!! Thank you for noting all the things I thought as well. Would have been a perfect show otherwise.

28. John says:

Clicked wondering how it could be 10, then I wondered his only 10. BRAVO

29. Gil says:

I remember a few years ago when the Hollywood covering media decided that Heidi and Spencer were no longer worth devoting ANY column space towards. Can we officially do the same for the entire Kardashian family?

30. April K says:

omg ok i kept clicking thinking i was gonna be pissed cause i loved the show last night and hahahaha i couldn’t stop laughing.. best one why couldn’t you get Khole she kinda the funny one.. OMG so wrong…yet so right..haha i’m so over them. i was thinking back at all the people that came out and i blocked her out.. hahaha PRICELESS!!!!

31. CoryRox says:

Kudos on this guys! Glad to see someone shares my view of a no talent fame whore!

32. Trish says:

Well done! Along with everyone else, I was prepared to comment with attitude, as I am a Fallon fan, instead you made my morning, nay……my week!!

33. Jay says:

The BEST ever!

34. Ashley says:

Pretty sure this is the best list TVLine has ever produced. Well done, my friends. Well done.

35. Robin says:

If we want her to go away, why are we spending time talking about wanting her to go away? Just keeps her out there-all of them in fact. If we ignore them, won’t they “go away”?

36. Jennifer says:

Oh please tv/pop culture gods, MAKE IT GO AWAY.

37. Brabra says:

Why so much hate on this woman?

38. Bill says:

I thought it was Jamie Lynn Sigler from The Sopranos which would have made sense. I didn’t know it was KK until I read the lineup online the next day.

39. Dan says:

I’m not even in the US and don’t follow any late night shows regularly (follow… fallon… hm, there’s a catchphrase there somewhere), but I just had to click on this. One word made me curious: “absolutely”. Good journalists are usually cautious in using this kind of word (yup, I am one), so… hm, what are these guys on about? Yup, there it is. “Absolutely” fits like a glove. Well played, TVLine.

40. Anne says:

This is perfect. Her apprearance almost made me change the channel, though I’m really glad I didn’t. If she’d been on for one more second though . . .

41. the 11th thing to hate about Fallon’s Tonight Show debut:

Fallon showed up.

42. I don’t know I didn’t watch it, I was looking for Leno

43. Donn says:

I thought the Khardashians were the enemy race on Star Trek.

44. JoMarch says:

It didn’t hardly look like Kim. How much plastic surgery has Kanye forced on her? And with all this trashing of the Kardashians, some of you people are lying, because their show is still on TV so some of you are watching it and buying their cologne and their clothes, because otherwise they would have faded into obscurity by now.

45. Wisconsinite says:

I commented too fast on slide one. Apparently I am not alone in wishing Ms. K be gone.

46. Kimpo says:

I have to say KK and her attention seeking family will be around as long as the general public continues to respond or react to their ridiculous, attention seeking antics as well as the media continuing to cover their nonsense! That’s all I got!

47. Britta Unfiltered says:

That was great. And I think the sparse applause in the audience indicated they knew exactly who she was.

48. Carole says:

You have made KK and her family filthy rich which is her first goal. The rest of us, unfortunately, aren’t rich and never will be. Secondly, she has gotten the world’s attention which she craved and which is her second goal all due to the fact that SHE not someone else deliberately put her sex tape on the internet. She has no talent but she is smart enough to know how to play the game to its fullest extent. While we sit back and spend our valuable time criticizing her, she is laughing all the way to the bank. The stupid ones certainly aren’t her or her family. It is US wasting our valuable time instead of working on producing our own sex tapes.

49. Jennifer says:

I loved this and I so totally agree! Why, just WHY, is anyone in that family “famous”?! It’s like Paris Hilton all over again. Blech!

50. When I saw the title of the article I was getting mad at you to suggest there was so much wrong with that stellar opening. However, I watched…. And just about fell over laughing ! Smug yes, but maybe not so much if she sees this.
    In answer to your why question; I have a well read an informed colleague (think NPR and PBS) and she has no clue who KK is. As it should be. Page should return to private citizen for her daughter’s sake.