American Idol Top 10 Girls Recap: I'm Sorry, Mr. Jackson, Are You for Real? [Updated]

american-idol-season-13-top-10-girls-performance-recap-majesty-malaya-mkI’ve always been a sucker for an inspirational, never-give-up, success-in-spite-of-insurmountable-odds story arc: The Little Engine That Could. Seabiscuit. Fantasia’s “I Believe.”

But for the love of all that’s holy, how is the caked-on gravy that is Randy Jackson still clinging to the American Idol platter on its 13th cycle through the reality TV dishwasher?

PHOTOS | American Idol: Ranking the Top 15 Women Heading Into the Live Shows

The Artist Formerly Known as ‘The Other Judge’ assumed his new role as in-house mentor tonight, and the results were, um, well… why don’t I just quote some of Randy’s “specific,” “actionable” advice: “You’ve gotta give it your all. And you’ve gotta give your best performance.” Dude misprounounced at least one singer’s name, didn’t offer a single smidge of advice about song choice or arrangement and acted as if he’d never watched a single second of performance footage of any of the women who sat in front of him.

Honestly, Idol probably had to slash its budget and cut the guy who sorts J.Lo’s M&Ms by color just to get The Dawg’s input? No me gusta!

Even more distressing was the fact that the show cut one-third of Season 13’s Top 15 girls — before they’d sung a single note — based in large part on footage of Randy’s pre-season workshop (which, mercifully, was heavy on footage of glowing, talented Idol grads Adam Lambert and Chris Daughtry). Ryan also noted that contestants’ dress rehearsals played a part in the decision. And — I’m just gonna assume it was all Randy’s fault — five really promising vocalists (Kenzie Hall, Austin Wolfe, Andrina Brogden, Jillian Jensen and Brandy Neelly) were all slashed in favor of the a couple women who’d given no prior indication of being ready for primetime singing stardom. (Spoiler: Their names respectively rhyme with Pia Buh-Bye and Larry Hell Cellars.)

A funny thing happened, though, on the way to creating a dramatic “Rush Week” forum. None of the 10 women who would eventually sing for America’s vote knew in advance of the live show whether or not she’d actually get a chance to take the stage. One at a time, the judges would introduce a singer, ask her to run through a backstage gauntlet, grab the mic and perform her ditty.

And as J.Lo astutely noted, the long run to the stage, the adrenaline and fear of the last-second announcements and the inability to fully prepare for a major television debut resulted in an evening of uneven, tentative, out-of-tune performances. In other words, reality TV drama was the night’s big winner; but lost in the contrived setup was the feeling that we were looking at multiple legitimate contenders to own a piece of The House That Kelly Clarkson Built.

That may not be a fair assessment of the Top 10 women’s skills, but it’s cast a pall over exec producer Per Blankens’ otherwise sparkly Idol reboot. Let’s hope Top 13 performance night allows the Season 13 lineup the full opportunity to look (and sound) like future Fantasias and Candices and Adams and Daughtrys, yes?

With that said, let’s jump to letter grades for tonight’s performances:

Majesty Rose: Pharrell Williams’ “Happy” — Grade: B+ | The gap in her tooth! The glorious hair! The dancing eyes! The little pops of range and power percolating throughout her acoustic take on Pharrell’s glistenining electronic jam! Majesty may not have delivered the most spotless semifinal performance in Idol history, but it may have been one of the most effervescent. And dagnabit, she actually went uptempo, to boot!

Kristen O’Connor: Adele’s “Turning Tables” — Grade: B- |  There wasn’t a whole lot wrong, per se, with Kristen’s pitch or tone or delivery — save for the few instances where she fell out of time with the band (good catch by J.Lo!). The problem, though, is that with her visible nerves and vacant smile, Kristen didn’t really capture the emotional heft that Adele brings to the complex ballad. The end product was like a postcard of a painting from a museum: The shapes and colors were there, but at a 99 cent price point, you couldn’t exactly swap it out for the original.

Briana Oakley: Demi Lovato’s “Warrior” — Grade: C+ | I loved Briana’s Hollywood Week performances — so much so that I had her ranked at No. 3 in my pre-live shows countdown. But not only did her choice of “Warrior” highlight some of the more strident aspects of her vocal tone, she also delivered it with all the confidence of a giraffe trying to navigate an Olympic luge course. Granted, I don’t think the background vocalists were helping Briana’s cause — every time their voices met, the blend was as natural as current Bachelor Juan Pablo at a Gay Pride parade — but Harry’s “fine job” critique was about the kindest way you could describe Briana’s downfall.

Jena Irene Asciutto: The Rolling Stones’ “Paint It Black” — Grade: B- | A couple hours after the fact, and I’m still not sure how to sum up my feelings about Jena’s performance. J.Lo was spot-on that there was “a nice, sulty quality” to the vocals,  and yet while I appreciated some of Jena’s dramatic flourishes, the whole just didn’t feel equal to the sum of the parts. Maybe it was the arrangement, which seemed to stack verse on top of verse without giving Jena any room to play with the melody or build the drama or find some quieter spaces to let the song breathe. And maybe (just maybe) the whole number was pitched just a wee bit high for Jena’s instrument. When it’s all said and done, though, I still believe that She Whose Name Was Repeatedly Mispronounced by Randy proved she’s got a big enough range, a unique enough tone and enough natural charisma that she deserves a spot in the Season 13 Top 13.

Bria Anai: Melanie Fiona’s “Wrong Side of a Love Song” — Grade: D+ | Gack! Girlfriend definitely put the “wrong” in “Wrong Side of a Love Song,” a ballad I was unfamiliar with prior to the show, and certainly never wish to hear again. Keith tried to be gentle when he said Bria “overshot the runway,” but isn’t that just another way of calling the performance a plane crash? The tragic part of the wreckage is that Bria (whose mom hilariously describes her style as “an appropriate Rihanna”) showed glimmers of spunk and vocal ability, but clearly needs a few more years to be ready for the big stage. If she’d been left in the Holding Room of the Damned, it might’ve been the best thing ever to happen to her musical aspirations.

Marrialle Sellars: Katy Perry’s “Roar”– Grade: D- | Would Alanis Morissette describe it as “ironic” that Marrialle mostly gasped and mewled her way through a song called “Roar”? Perhaps. But a more accurate description of Marrialle’s performance might be “catastrophic,” with a questionable grasp of tempo and a lower register that fell away from her like it had dropped through an unexpected trap door at center stage. The worry is that Uncle Per has invested so much time and backstory into contestant voted Most Ready to Star in Her Own Teen Vogue Fashion Spread that he’ll instruct one of the judges to award her the Wild Card. But if girlfriend didn’t know enough to break out the acoustic guitar and break down Katy Perry’s into something that could unearth the allegedly pleasant parts of her range, how can anyone be confident that she’ll be any better by this time next week?

Jessica Meuse: Luke Bryan’s “Drink a Beer” — Grade: B | For a gal who comes off kinda brassy and brash and hard-charging, Jessica sure picked a low key (or as my hubby described it, “completely unchallenging”!) country-blues ballad for her introduction to the voting public. But as Keith noted, the pink-haired one-woman band is a believable storyteller — one with a really unique tone — even when her facial expression doesn’t totally match the material she’s singing. And so while this wasn’t exactly the slam-dunk she probably needed to overcome the “drama queen” edit she’s gotten the last few weeks, I can’t help but feel like the season will be more interesting if there’s still a place for her in it.

Emily Piriz: Grace Potter & The Nocturnals’ “Paris (Ooh La La)” — Grade: C | Some folks on Twitter called it “slut shaming” when Harry pointedly asked Emily about the lyrics of his possible least-favorite song, and whether “that’s really what you want to sing?” But I wasn’t bothered in the least by his query — and here’s why: Yes, Emily probably ranked No. 3 or 4 tonight in terms of staying on pitch, but there wasn’t an ounce of believable sexuality coursing through her performance. It was all H&M dressing room poses and scrunched up faces and faux vocal grit without any real rock sensibility. For a song that begins with the query, “you’ve got me down on the floor/ So what’d ya bring me down here for?” Emily’s performance was never in any real danger of hitting the carpet. And at this stage of the competition, it’s not just about knowing your vocals, but your inner voice as well. I’m not saying I have a problem with innocence (or any variation on said theme): Just don’t put sexy on the menu if you haven’t perfected the recipe.

MK Nobilette: John Legend’s “All of Me” — Grade: B+ | What MK lacked tonight in technique — and yes, there were a few nervous pitch fumbles and a couple glitches in her phrasing — she made up for with a palpable passion and a lovely, lilting tone. Granted, her openly sobbing family and friends probably increased the emotional effectiveness of the performance by 10 percent. But her delivery of the lines “Love your curves and all your edges/ All your perfect imperfections” really hit me square in the gut, so much so that I won’t even dock MK points for being the first singer of Season 13 to activate those bloody heinous SwayBots(™).

Malaya Watson: Ray Charles’ “Hard Times (No One Knows Better Than I)” — Grade: B | The opening few lines of Malaya’s performance were pitched so low that it rendered her barely audible, but so what? On a night marked by tentativeness, misguidedness and future night terrors, Malaya at least proved willing to get a little crazy, boom out some notes with abandon and throw her whole body into the task at hand. The end result didn’t exactly transform me from the skeptic who ranked her No. 15 (out of 15 girls) in my pre-Live Show countdown into a full-fledged fan, but with a little more experience and a little more nuance, she could be an acutal contender (for, like, fifth place).

Oh, and in other news Ben Briley beat Neco Starr for the No. 15 slot among the dudes. (Can you imagine if the judges elect to cut him anyhow? #thisisreal)

And with that, I turn it over to you.

What did you think of the Top 10 women? Who were your faves? Which pre-performance cuts made you most upset? Take our polls below, then sound off in the comments!

1. Gretta says:

What is this …Maybe they should call it African American Idol or No Blondes Allowed American Idol …No I’m not racist but this is ridiculous I think some of the other girls that were not chosen are a heck of a lot better than the once the judges picked …very disappointed in there picks :(

• Adam Fachry says:

What a way to justify yourself. Stating one race as a way to voice your dissatisfaction while claiming not a racist. How diplomatic!

• Robin says:

An equal number of white and black people went through…

• Gretta says:

Well once randy got his “vote” during the workshop it was decided. in order o up the chances of a black winner they will just give america 80% blacks to choose from. oh, alright we’ll throw in the “openly gay” girl too! this should help with their current lawsuit from ten former blacks claiming racism.

• Barbara Perez-Melendez says:

Couldn’t agree more. They’ve taken this diversity stunt way way too far. It makes me sick. Several of the white singers who didn’t even get to sing were just robbed by a small-minded and cowardly production.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I just barfed up my chicken piccata reading your posts. Go get yourself an edu’macation. Your white power schtick will not take you far.

• Mark says:

Aside from Micheal Jackson, how can anyone be a “former black”?

• darcy's evil twin says:

OMG, you get a huge Made Me Laugh. :-)
            Made me think of “Hot Tub Time Machine” – “Excuse me miss, what color is Michael Jackson?”

2. Adam Fachry says:

Lol @ the new production team being praised so highly at the beginning of the season then screwing everything up come the live portion of the show.

• The Gizer says:

I knew that the lesbian would make it through. 2014 is the year of the gays. Hip Hip Hoorah! Gag!

• Angie_Overrated says:

Ugh. Really? Now we’re demeaning gay people too? This message board is going down the toilet. Could it be that the lesbian (let’s call her MK) is a very talented singer? Or does it have to be a political statement?

• Tarc says:

Yup, you’re a Gizer. The great thing about gizers is that don’t last much longer.

• Adam Fachry says:

I don’t understand why you had to respond to my post with such a bigotry, especially when yours is totally out of topic.

3. darcy's evil twin says:

Sweet Baby Jesus, I don’t know what to think. That was … underwhelming.
    has anyone mentioned Ben Briley won the vote over Neco Starr? yeah, I was shocked.
    I realize these ladies were nervous due to this RIDICULOUS format. Kristin O’Connor’s phrasing was bothersome and it was ironic she sang the line, “I can’t breathe”. :-) She is gorgeous, though. Majesty Rose was good but her diction faded in the lower ranges. Harry’s comments to Brianna Oakley were right on the money about the “high notes” not being “triple axles”. Her upper register got a little “screamy”. Jena Iren (is it pronounced “Irene”?) did a nice job on “Paint it Black” but I would have performed the song in a lower key. I loved it when Harry asked, “What’s that song about?”. Bria Anai was “shouty” and should have picked a “smaller” song – she had little control of her vocals.

Marialle Sellars – wow. Harry noted she wasn’t “in tune” – well, it’s because she wasn’t supporting her notes! I enjoyed Jessica Meuse but she appeared overwhelmed. I actually enjoyed Emily Piriz’s ‘Paris Ooh La La’ and maybe it’s because I’d had too much wine at that point. While Harry might have been bothered by her age I liked the arrangement. I don’t care for MK Nobilette and please don’t tell me I’m homophobic. I could not stand Joni Mitchell and I believe she’s straight. MK just isn’t my cup of tea. Her phrasing was off and she was a little flat on some of the high notes. And Malaya Watson – are you FREAKING KIDDING ME?????? Brandy Neelly or Austin Wolf would have been better. Malaya and Marialle are NOT as good as they think they are.

• danin says:

I agree w/everything darcy’s evil.twin said except about MK.I am liking/loving her..and they are going for personality in terms of Marielle,Bria Anai&Malaya.Ithought Bria&Marielle surprised everyone last week(meaning judges,prods,&me) and sang well.And herez’s the thing I get a kick out of Malaya&Marielle and the first time I heard Malaya sing or at least first couple notes I though oh good deep voice&then she was inconsistent, and then the next time I heard her she was off&tonight too…so maybe they’re pulling for potential plus personality plus she’s quirky as is Marielle…I was surprised Brandy didn’t make it.I had forgotten about Kristen,Emily(who I thought did a good job)&Jessica who sang well enough but has the presence of a bad buzz.I dig Jena and have liked her very much.Tonight she was uneven to me.And ya know Siobhan killed on Paint It Black.God only knows what they are telling these kids behind closed doors.And everyone’s bummed we didn’t see more in depth coverage from Chris&Adam.When has Idol ever revealed anything with depth.That’s why we like Harry&Keith at least they try to bring athenticity.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Awww… I like Malaya and MK. I don’t love them, but in a crappy field, they don’t have a ton of competition. Kind of like all of our presidential elections.

• deedee says:

I like Malaya a lot. She’s different and has a nice voice. Don’t like MK. She lacks charisma on stage, and her voice is not spectacular enough to make up for it.

• darcy the slutty twin says:

I thought Geeena Irene sounded horrific. I think her necklace was too tight and it was choking her. MK could not hold a note. Her performance was tremulous, in a word. And I found it hilarious that Bria Anai had a breakdown-type over-the-top performance.

• darcy's evil twin says:

yea, sister, Geeena Irene’s :-) performance is a head-scratcher for me. I liked it but I didn’t. And I agree, get rid of that ridiculous choker and wear v-necks or even scoop-neck tops with NO NECKLACE. she needs to divert attention away from her neck, not accentuate the neck. I know, that’s a ridiculous comment, but it was a ridiculous night.

4. marie says:

Wow, I couldn’t even stay awake for the whole show; I missed the last few. First time I can remember actually falling asleep on Idol. Sounds like I didn’t miss much – and I certainly didn’t SEE much while I WAS awake. What a crummy first live show! And during auditions I had such high hopes for this season: I haven’t given up yet, but keep THIS up….Ok, it’s early.
    I don’t like this sudden death thing at all. Like the bus rides, this was needlessly cruel.
    I guess I’ll go back and watch the few I missed, but seems I can’t expect much.

5. 1D Fan says:

How did the girls get chosen? Numerology, of course. Four out of the top 10 girls have a name that starts with M. M is the 13th letter of the alphabet and this is Idol season…13. None of the cut girls had an M initial.

6. Annie says:

Marrialle? Really? And Kristen? Seriously?
    Jillian and Brandy are miles better than both.
    This season was going so well. Color me disappointed.

7. Katlynn says:

There is no way the cut singers were ever going to win. They put through the right singers. There’s no way I want to watch another second of Jillian’s scrunched up poor me cry faces. And Kenz, Brandy, and Austin were all generic and not going to win

• Timmah says:

They had to have been better than what we saw tonight.

• tealeaves says:

I disagree. I think if all 15 had sung, at least 2 of those would have made the top 5 in votes. On the other hand, if I look at the 10 that did perform there are a number of performers that that have no change of winning.

8. analythinker says:

My “Worst 5″ of the bunch were Bria, Marialle, Malaya, Andrina, and Emily. So REALLY surprised and upset with those going home. BOO. Was any of those mentioned any good at all?

9. gene Daniel says:

the directors of idol blew it big time. It wasnt FAIR for the 5 who did not get to perform. All 15 should have performed and let the public determine the 10 ten. To bring the 5 along up to tonight and not let them perform was TOTALLY WRONG. Did you save a BUCK. I doubt if I will watch the remainder for you BLEW it. I will bet the entire public feels this way. Go hide your eads in the sand.

10. PG says:

Question- The judges nominated the top 31 a while ago, wouldn’t you think they would have enough sense to read forums, watch clips, monitor blogs, twitter, youtube clips and get a vibe for who the public is pulling for? I refuse to believe that they picked the top 10 girls solely based on a few tapes.

11. The Gizer says:

Just when you thought that American Idol hit their low point last year, they throw out this piece of garbage tonight. Thank God that The Voice starts up next Monday.

12. Golfchicknyc says:

Thank goodness for MK. THAT IS ALL.

13. J. May says:

I don’t know about tonight. It probably would have been better to have the contestants know for certain that they would be performing, at least for the sake of the audience. We gained nothing from them being so nervous and unsure. To cut 5 singers without even hearing them was just rude, IMO. Jessica’s standoffishness reminds me of both Crystal Bowersox (who became immensely likeable, to me, anyway) and Elise Testone (who could sing her azz off but didn’t really connect). I hope she goes through, though, ’cause I love her voice. Finally, it was cool to see Adam and Chris giving advice, I just wish we could have seen more of them.

14. Connie Brown DIel says:

Take Idol off the air….It’s over,done, I have always watched and found myself again giving them another chance to DO SOMETHING….I really think the teeny bopper, immature young kids they are letting there have run the whole show into the ground. Wish it was still 16-29 yrs, I don’t know, I am ready to stop recording and just stick the Voice. Have watched them both every season, but so far tonight is the pits….it’s taped, delete or not delete, that’s the question…..

• Timmah says:

I was thinking the same. These performances tonight were flat-out terrible. I’m ready for The Voice.

• Jake says:

No one says you can’t watch both

• Timmah says:

Well, I know I won’t be watching Idol unless it significantly improves, and fast. Also I’m remembering why I didn’t like JLo when she was on the show before. The constant “baby baby baby” and “you remind me of a young Whitney” stuff is barf-inducing.

• Mary says:

Me thinks you just like to complain. I could be wrong but I don’t remember her saying to anyone that they remind her of the young Whitney. I actually thought she gave some good critiques tonight. I would say this format did not allow the contestant to shine. At least Idol focus on the contestant and not the judges.

• JayNC says:

She did though, I think she mentioned Whitney when critiquing Briana.

• waterbug says:

I think Per Blankens and AI crew want a star to emerge from any situation thrown at them. It didn’t happen with the girls…I am hoping this diamond emerges from the boys….keep hope alive!

• tealeaves says:

I know exactly how you feel. I wanted them to cut all the 15 year olds this week. Even if a 15 year old has promise, they are almost never ready for a music career. Instead, that is not who they cut.
      This show can not have another season like last season. I expected all the people involved in producing the show understood that. Yet at this point things are looking a lot like season 12.

• analythinker says:

I love MK, but while watching her performance video, I kept thinking about Ray Boudreaux’s version. While Ray’s wasn’t exactly a strong performance, I think it was still better. Which is saying a lot about Idol this year… just my opinion.

15. Connor says:

Could Brandy, Kenz and Jillian comeback next year? I feel like it wouldn’t be fair if they couldn’t come back. Even though they made the live show… They didn’t even get a chance to sing.

16. analythinker says:

Am I crazy to think that the 5 girls leaving would come back because they’re actually the secure ones and we’re voting for the best from the “worst/not secure” Top 10?

Idol can’t be that manipulating, can it? *secretly wishes so*

17. Barbara Perez-Melendez says:

Am I the only one who thinks there’s obviously more going on with who was picked besides talent? Hint, hint… four of the five who didn’t even get to sing were white… and if the judges didn’t put MK thru, there would have been an outcry. This whole season is already an epic failed experiment…

• Listerine says:

Affirmative action at it’s finest.

• seattlejohn449 says:

I didn’t view tonight’s top 15 thru color-tinted glasses but I have noticed way too many teenagers moving ahead of non-teens, and personally I prefer more mature singers and more sophisticated songs, lyrics and taste levels (though I really do like both Majesty and Malaya)…pss: did anyone notice Candice Glover’s debut CD just got released?

• Barbara Perez-Dumbass says:

I don’t know what you’re talking about. I thought all the people who made it this year were white. Hint, hint.

18. Diz says:

I was enjoying the season up until tonight. I have no favorites going in yet but this show just sucked.

19. Magali says:

Well that was a disaster….

20. Jake says:

Is it better that we don’t know about the top 15 since the 5 that got cut is causing everyone to be annoyed, which I think is what idol wants to be talked about. I think it was done to get more of a majority because to cut 15 to 5 based on public vote is ridiculous. I actually think it came off as less cruel as described, but cruel nonetheless.

• tealeaves says:

If they had just cut us down to a Top 20 last week, then we would have had an extra week to worry that season 13 is going to be a repeat of season 12. In fact, we would have known weeks ago that they were going to AGAIN cut it down to 20 contestants before giving us a voice and we were AGAIN going to be given only 1 performance and 1 vote to cut that number in half.
      The real question is, why did they cut 5 more contestants tonight? Why not just let them sing for votes? Why not give as 30 people to vote on this week?

21. Juan says:

I miss VFTW

22. Jules says:

MK’s family is adorbs!! They made a sign for her on an envelope!! Gah!! So frickin cute.

23. Annie says:

Why did they make Malaya roll out like looking like a 40-year-old from the 60’s

24. Debbie M. says:

I was thoroughly unimpressed. After Majesty, it went downhill fast. Emily needs to prove that she isn’t a Grace Potter wannabe (good luck with that. Grace is freaking awesome!), and the rest pretty much were karaoke singers. I thought this was going to be a good season. Let’s see how the boys do. At least I have the new Candice album to comfort me!

25. Brendan says:

As much as I have a soft spot for Idol, I will honestly say that watching the live show makes me so excited for The Voice premier in a few days. The women’s performances were not impressive and I felt so bad for the five other women who didn’t even get the chance to be on stage.

• Name That Tune says:

Amen to that! The Voice already has screened out the losers. And there’s something about Idol and its penchant for choosing only the 15 to 21 year olds. Every one of these girls (except Jessica) could have benefited from 2 or 3 more years of baking before they were put in this limelight.

26. Dan says:

Poor Jillian. Cut right before public voting on not one, but two singing shows. That’s gotta hurt.

It’s times like these that I’m glad I skipped all of the audition episodes. I have zero attachment to anybody. Everyone is just a random singer to me, no history, no backstory.

27. Ayelet says:

I’m not a Randy fan in the least bit, but the fact that Michael constantly pointed out how “racist” he was but hasn’t so much as said one word about Harry Connick Jr.’s misogyny is really starting to get on my nerves…

28. Angie_Overrated says:

I miss Kree, Amber, and Candice. Can we bring back Kree and Amber? This sucked tonight.

• LeahKittyS says:

Heck, I’ll take last year’s entire Top 10, plus Aubrey Cleland and Charlie Askew, over half of these girls.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Yeah, dude. This wasn’t great. This is what happens when you allow the contestants to be “coached” by Randy Jackson and have their souls penetrated by non-denominational spiritual advisers.

• Daezy says:

Speaking of which, Charlie’s EP just came out and it’s absolutely stunning. The artistry in the orchestration and the lyrics have made it, in my opinion, one of the best low-production albums I’ve heard in a while.

It also highlights why Charlie didn’t make it far on the Idol stage; he’s way too sophisticated for it. After listening to one song on the album, you’ll find yourself scratching your head, wondering “why hasn’t this guy written a musical or done a musical score for one?”

Idol was just the wrong show for Charlie.

• Listerine says:

Carly Rose from the X-Factor is better than most of the 10 that sang tonight.

29. NedPepper says:

I took last year off. I watched last week and this week to see if I wanted to invest in this show again. And I just don’t know. This was a hot mess. The five girls who were eliminated without ever singing idea was cruel and served no purpose. The running to the stage and the nerves of whether they were going to even get to perform caused every performance to feel off. I like MK. Genuine talent. I like Harry and Keith as judges. JLo is JLo. The workshop was completely useless, only saved by Chris and Adam. Do I want to invest in this show again, though? I just don’t think I do. There used to be artistry on this show. This felt like Teen Karaoke Idol.

• Bill Bob says:

You’re exactly right, cutting those 5 girls served absolutely no purpose. It was brutal. We’re not talking some spaznoids from tryouts in Atlanta, we’re talking about girls who worked hard through a grueling process to get to tonight’s show. Didn’t they earn at least a sliver of respect for their efforts? Apparently not.

30. Bill Bob says:

What the heck? This show has turned the corner and is fatally flawed. Why do this to 5 girls, what the heck’s the point? Why not just cut to 20 and be done with it? Stupid. And I personally think Kenzie Hall was something special, it was utterly ridiculous to see her just sit there for 2 hours and get cut.

I guess it’s good, though, because now I can save a lot of time not watching this show anymore.

In all fairness, I’m probably not the best Idol fan, anyway. I thought Daughtry was #1 a few years ago and he got the boot, and I thought #2 and #3 (especially #3) last year had more personality than #1.

Back to The Voice for good! Viva la Voice!

31. mark says:

I’m no singer, I’m no judge and none of the girls tonight made me care if any of them made it to the next round. I record the show and watch later and I fast forwarded all their songs, couldn’t find any I liked enough to even want to hear the judges comments. If I was a judge, I’d be feeling guilty about who I picked tonight. Randy’s segment was worthless, I’d give up all his air time, and the time for the spiritual counselors, to hear the other girls sing. Maybe the spirituals could have said a prayer with each girl before they ran the gauntlet to the stage. Giving the spiritual’s a go at Ms. Piriz,and her song choice might have saved the show for me. Why pick 15 if we don’t get to vote on them, doesn’t make sense to me, big waste of everyone’s time. Another concern I have is we voted on which male would get the last spot in the top 15 and I betting the winner of that doesn’t make the top 10. Just another waste of time. Why even bother with the drama, if he gets cut out of the top 10. I was really liking the show this year, I thought Harry was shaping up to be a really good judge, and then I sat through this and wondered what happened. Well, there is always tomorrows show.

32. CapitalW says:

This is what we get for jinxing this season’s potential because we got giddy by Harry’s refreshing presence. Tsk. It was like karaoke hell. The swaybots were more awful than ever. Mk and Majesty give me a teensy bit of hope. I just love them as they are but they’ve gotta step up or else i’m completely abandoning the girls this year–not that my support matters ’cause I cant vote anyway. Bummer.

33. Listerine says:

This is brutal way having the 5 girls sit for 2 hours and be cut… like waiting to be excuted. Makes the X-Factor 4 chair round seem humane by comparison. Kenzie got ROBBED.

34. darcy the slutty twin says:

Kenzie was NOT robbed. Her Your Song during the last round of Hollywood Week was obnoxiously bad. BAD. I’m surprised they even put her through to the Top 30. Jillian Jensen was so painfully desperate, I’m happy to see her go.

• mike hollingworth says:

Dear Sluuuuuuuuuu……………jfc…….after slugging through an ocean of mostly manic depressive commentators, how delightful it was to end up with the delicious slu……….ahhhhhhhhhhhh…….merci bien et bon nuit!

• elizabeth ann says:

how do you know it was sooooo BAD, we saw only a few seconds of the clip, everyone can have a few bad seconds even Jennifer Lopez, who’s singing live can leave you disappoint-ed!!

• Kimbo says:

Pause. While I’m not really a Jillian fan myself I’m really, REALLY trying to figure out why the girl gets so much hate. And so far all people can reference is her time on Xfactor.
      Now what exactly was so painfully desperate about Jillian that makes her more desperate than Candice, Brianna, Brandy, Neco, or any other contestant that’s ever auditioned for something twice.?
      Is it that she didn’t stay with Xfactor? That just seems like common sense on her end.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I have to agree with my sister. I would have placed Austin and certainly Brandy ahead of Kenzie based on the 47 seconds of singing we heard.

35. Gabi says:

What an awkward show. The actual content and purpose of the “boot camp” weren’t very transparent and I felt really bad that only 10 chosen girls were allowed to even perform while 5 remaining girls were left on the couch. Also, I felt that Adam Lambert and Daughtry as “mentors” were only used for the hype. They had a whole line-up of mentors in place already who may have created more confusion than actual guidance.

36. waid says:

Just watched this week’s Reality Check. “you may want to skip the first six weeks of this show.” LOL, truer words could not be spoken.

37. E. Stewie says:

Personally, I feel that Bria probably could have done far better than what she did. Granted, like the other 9 girls, she was on the edge of her seat not even knowing if she was going to sing or not. Then right at the last minute she gets called up to sing while emotions are still running through her body. That’s what every girl had to do that made it on that stage which is unfair. It’s just like when they make the contestants sing right after they have been eliminated. That have to sing with all these emotions in their body while AMERICA is watching them. It happened to every girl tonight and ALL of the performances suffered for it. To be quite honest, there really wasn’t that much of a stand-out performance tonight. Yes, M.K.’s & Majesty’s performances were the best of the night, but they themselves could have had an even better performance the format was different. Am i giving an excuse for Bria? No. But, you have to keep those aspects when you judge these girls’ performances….

Now….what I will say is that this format was HORRIBLE!!!! How are you going to just eliminate 5 girls right from the start??????? That’s like saying “You’re in the top 30, but not really because you’re not going to perform for America…”. If that’s the case, then the other 5 girls (& the 5 men that won’t perform) should have just got eliminated in the last Hollywood round and the judges could have just made a Top 20 where EVERYONE performs…..But no, they want to put an extra 5 girls & 5 guys through an extra week of blood, sweat, & tears just to tell them that they are not performing. That’s just wasting their time. Tisk. Tisk. Tisk. That was a messed up move, Idol……

38. darcy the slutty twin says:

The biggest question of the night for me: Why did Marialle Sellers take off her shoe, put it next to her face and then make a face?!

• mike hollingworth says:

I believe the shoe inadvertently came off during the performance and that was her way of recovering. Hey, why are you not in your warm, comfy bed all curled up ready for an evening of sweet dreams!

• darcy the slutty twin says:

Care to join me mike?

• darcy's evil twin says:

DON’T DO IT, MIKE! ;-)

• mike hollingworth says:

BINGO!…..am giggling with excitement and anticipation like a red faced school boy………I live in the Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, a few hours outside of Vancouver but do not be sad as I have been shinning up my snowshoes already. Must warn you, I closely resemble that lumberjack statue guy in the movie Fargo. Can I bring my trusty ax (a.k.a. Slash) along!

Well, I read DET’s warning and practically fell off my chair laughing. She is a blast! But now I am even more determined. Oh, I won a gold medal for snowshoeing at the 1942 Winter Olympics in Switzerland, so do not worry about my snowshoe stamina. Also,I was looking at my globe and it looks to be all downhill.

So anyway, I will bring my king size quilt along, plaid of course.

Oh, just one more thought, hoping you do not mind my expressing it! About your evil twin, do you suppose you could give her a call and see if she would be interested in, you know, “joining us”! Just to prepare a nice hot breakfast for us, of course. My guess is that she loves to cook.

Bon nuit et doux reves

• darcy the slutty twin says:

An ax and a plaid quilt, it makes me quiver in anticipation! Do not worry about my sister. She will be happy to join us. I cannot wait!

39. Holly says:

One word: BAD! To open the show with these performances was just horrible. Out of all the thousands they come up with these “singers”? These girls are bad. Lets hope the boys are better. Why even have 15 girls? Couldn’t just narrow it down to 10? We didn’t even get a chance to see enough of the other 5 girls. The judges just chose their favorites.

Majesty – Sorry sweetie, but you did not make me happy when you were singing.
    Kristen – Complete crap. So boring & flat at times.
    Briana – She has a pretty voice, but lets be honest, I forgot about her by the time the night was over.
    Jena – She’s my favorite so far. I loved her throughout Hollywood week. She needs more piano. Her song chouce tonight was not for her though. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.
    Bria – Can you say horrible? This chick couldn’t hold a note. She was bad.
    Marrialle – Wannabe Miley. She was baaaaad. This chick couldn’t sing during HW week, the judges were just playing favorites with her.
    Jessica – Really? Her performance was boring. She’s not interesting.
    Emily – While I like her, that song is meant for a big voice with grit to it. You gotta move around, not stand in one place and try to be sexy when you look stupid.
    MK – Sorry, but I don’t no what others see in her. She’s rather boring. She has no stage presence what so ever. She just stands there like a limp noodle.
    Malaya – I love her personality, but she lacks in the voice compartment. She can sing but she can lose it and be all over the place. Don’t over do it if you don’t have the chops for it.

The Rush Week introduction was a dud. Idol is standing on its last leg and they’re trying to be new and innovative. Sorry, but stop copying others. The workshop while a good idea was lacking badly. Why Randy? What did he bring to the table? Is he interviewing them? Why do we need to see hair and makeup? Fashion? That isn’t what it’s about. Maybe when you’re some kind of star like Beyonce but you’re not. Adam and Chris were nice, but again we didn’t get to see much.

Girls suck, lets hope the guys are better. I’m nervous though, because the judges are choosing their favorites. I think some good talented guys will be cut for their favorites that are horrible.

40. Name That Tune says:

Am I the only one feeling like we are watching a repeat of season 10? The season when the first 5 eliminated contestants from the top 13 were all girls? And they kept 7 girls that year.
    Common denominator? JLo.

41. Leah B. says:

It almost seemed like the judges went out of their way to choose contestants that were either super quirky or have a unique sense of style. I’m not saying that those things don’t contribute to a person’s overall package, but at the end of the day I just want to hear people who can REALLY sing and connect with the audience. It just seemed like in several cases it was style over substance. There were some great voices that got left behind.

• as says:

Style over substance is exactly right and we can thank J Lo for that…outfits/hair and makeup are her specialty in the create a teen Idol quest. I guess what we didn’t know is that the show’s demographic once and for all is TEEN. The Voice next week!

• Anna says:

TOTALLY AGREE.

42. Libby says:

was so frustrated, don’t understand why it went the way it did…thought the judges, deeply disappointed in Harry, let everyone down. Was expecting true honest criticism. These oh baby responses they give us don’t work, it was a watered down, mean show. Mean, in the way the other five girls were treated. I had to shut it off, couldn’t take.
    And to ask myself, WTF, a spiritual advisor, come on AI!

43. as says:

All that screen time for Randy with his new Weight Watchers physique and his teen-age straight jeans was unbelievably AWFUL….’Give it your all’ had me missing his ‘You’re in it to win it” judging nonsense. Looks like the producers are trying yet again for a Rhianna look-alike. Jessica is the only grown-up contestant with a musical identity.

44. Anna says:

I’m probably risking a lot of Idol hate here, but am I the only one who thinks MK doesn’t belong in this competition? I just don’t think her vocals are up to par, especially with some of the ladies who were cut. I couldn’t connect to her song and she seemed so amateur and disconnected from the stage AND audience. I was shocked she got so much love during Hollywood week from the judges. She is going to really struggle during the theme weeks when she’ll be singing music totally out of her element. She just doesn’t seem to have any artistry. While Emily may have been “posing” with a song that wasn’t true to her style, I think she still delivered one of the better vocals of the evening. Overall though, I was really less than impressed with most of the girls.

• Yo says:

I thought she sounded good on that song, especially since she kept it simple, but until she sang last night I thought she was way over her head.

• Ringo says:

Actually I think she’ll do just fine. I heard of some of the themes for the top 13 and they’re rather flexible.

45. Ashlyg says:

As I am reading the comments, I am VERY surprised to see that many people think Harry was slut shaming the contest who sang Paris. I didn’t take his criticism that way at all. Like Jena before, he was just questioning her grasp of the lyrics. I really like how he is so concerned with whether or not the contestants understand what they are singing about. Some say he was slut shaming the girl, I say he was questioning her believability. Because honestly that performance wasn’t very believable. She is definitely no Grace Potter. I have been fortunate enough to see Grace Potter perform live and it’s amazing how she just throws her heart and soul into each song. She’s all about rocking out and this girl just wasn’t.

• SheepintheStacks says:

Exactly! my issue with this is that “Paris” is an incredible female sexual empowerment anthem and Emily’s desire to brush over and ignore the sexuality of the song and just bring it down to plain “empowering” completely validated Harry’s comment.

If you are not comfortable saying the lyrics of song out loud YOU SHOULD NOT BE SINGING IT!

If she had replied to Harry and said “yes this is the song I want to sing because I understand the nuances and I advocate and believe in female sexuality and it’s expression” then he would have acknowledged that and said that it didn’t come across as believable in her performance. You could argue that she got flustered by his direct comment but the way she delivered Grace’s lyrics, she clearly glazed over them because she was clearly uncomfortable delivering that very specific message (and no you cannot say that “down on the floor” and “shave you smooth” are not sexual references).

The sad part is that she and, all the other contestants who pay no attention to lyric choices, will latch on to those bashing Harry and not see what was clearly wrong with her song choice, and probably do it again.

46. Yo says:

All I know is that Randy showed up and simultaneously the life was sucked out of the contestants. Coincidence? I think not.

47. Mary says:

Well really an uneventful night. I can’t believe that if the performances were based on dress rehearsal then Marialle Roar was better then say Kenz Hall no matter what she sang.
    I hate the song to begin with and it was so out of tune that I had to mute the TV. For the love of God I hope America did not put her through. My top five for tonight, with nobody really standing out are MK, Majesty, Jessica, Jena and Emily. I hope they all make it or even put Kristen in there will be okay. I did like the fact the judges critique the performances.

48. elizabeth ann says:

I was very disappointed that a lot of the contestants they featured, were not even given a mention, not only in this episode but in past episodes, we have no idea what happened and why they decided to cut them. I agree with a lot of people that they should of at least shown the boot camp so we would of had some idea about the choices and why!! I can’t believe they cut Austin Wolf, after praising her so many times and even when she made top 15 Keith and Harry both said she could ssssssing! The editing department should take a look at their footage from previous shows and allow the audience a peek at least, of the contestants that were commented on or even featured, not only in the top 15 to top 10 but though out this seasons airings! I of course look forward to tomorrow night, please let Dexter Roberts be in the final 13, he is so real, a true star in many ways!!

49. waterbug says:

Yikes! Not impressed with any of them…let’s hope it gets better.

50. Tj says:

I LOVE Harry AND Grace Potter and have had no problem with Emily. HOWEVER, Emily knew that song was already “questioned” and still chose to sing it. And now we’re all talking about it… I’m thinking that’s what the show wanted and perhaps Emily wanted as well…