Olympics Watch: What Was Your Favorite Moment From Sochi 2014, Day 7?

Winter Olympics Sochi GamesAnyone else feel like they wanna give the collected men’s Olympic figure skating contingent a big hug?

Even though 19-year-old Japanese phenom Yuzuru Hanyu came away from Friday’s free skate with a gold medal, his program was far from the exuberant performance we’ve come to expect from athletes on top. He appeared shaky, nervous — even falling twice, though his standing coming out of Thursday’s short program helped boost him to the night’s top honor.

RELATED | Olympics Watch, Day 6: Women’s Speed Skating and a Slopestyle Sweep

Patrick Chan of Canada, a three-time world champion and Hanyu’s closest competitor, started his routine strong but seemed to pull back — and make several mistakes — as he went along. In the end, his “safe” skate — in the words of commentator and former Olympian Tara Lipinski — netted him the silver.

Khazakstan’s Dennis Ten wound up winning the bronze, bringing home his country’s first medal in the sport.

The competition seemed diminished by the confidence-shaking events of the previous evening, when Russian favorite and retiring skater Evgeni Plushenko hurt himself during the warm-up to the men’s short program  and had to withdraw just minutes before he was scheduled to make his final Olympic showing.

RELATED | Winter Olympics 2014: The Best and Worst Moments From the Sochi Opening Ceremonies

Also on Thursday evening, Team USA’s Jeremy Abbott took a hard spill at the beginning of his program, though he rallied and finished the routine, nailing the rest of his elements. Abbot turned in a consistent performance in Friday’s free skate, winding up in twelfth place overall.

What was your favorite moment from Friday’s winter games? Were you jazzed to see skeleton athlete Lizzy Yarnold take home Britain’s first gold of the games? Did you cry along with  Noelle Pikus-Pace when she retired as a silver medalist in that same event? Have you checked out curling yet? Sound off in the comments!

1. David H says:

Jeremy Abbott had the best skate of the night- ironically. My second favorite skate was actually Jason’s Riverdance routine. Even with the little mistakes, it was fun to watch. I could see where Hanyu’s routine could have been magical. The mistakes were tooo distracting, however.

2. Betsy says:

Noelle Pikus-Pace is just darling! so gracious and lovely. I cried along with her as she clambered up the bleachers to her family. she is a delight. and a great representative of Team USA.

• kd86953 says:

YES! i totally agree. her story captivated me and i’m so happy she was able to get on that podium! her joy was so inspiring!! on the other hand, katie uhlaender was soooooo close (4 100th!). my heart broke for her!

3. LynnH says:

The quad jump has destroyed men’s figure skating. Hardly anyone can do it, but they all feel they must try or they won’t be in medal contention. So they fall down at the start of their program and their confidence is shot. As a result, the gold went to the skater who messed up the least, rather than skater with the best and cleanest program.

• Girl in MD says:

Totally agree with you!

• Larry says:

But Patrick did the quad–twice–without falling. I think after that he thought he could play it safe since Hanyu messed up his program. So the quad can also destroy a program by giving a false sense of confidence.

4. Michelle says:

Noelle just made me smile. Her interview with Meredith was wonderful. Happy Valentine’s Day to her and her husband!

5. Anna says:

Definitely the highlight of the day was Noelle: her story, her medal, and her reaction. Loved it!

6. Margaret says:

Noelle, 100%, after everything she’s been through physically & emotionally, I was so happy to see her finally get her medal. I’d love to see her carry the American flag at the closing ceremony, that would be awesome.

7. Britta Unfiltered says:

Watching Noelle win was my favorite moment of the night. She lives in the same town I do, so I made an effort to watch that event. (I normally wouldn’t care about the skeleton). While I don’t know her personally, I do know people who know her. Everyone around here is just thrilled and signs have already gone up everywhere congratulating her on her win.

8. Cindy Cahill says:

I positivity adored Jason Brown’s routines. He exudes an exuberance that is infectious.

9. lan says:

The games are firece. First timers are winning medals though!

10. Kontrol Anna says:

I was very much disappointed with the performance of the 3 winners. Especially with the Japanese guy, who won the gold. I believe that someone who wins the much desired olympic gold should have had a flawless program, perhaps with some minor mistakes that are hardly even noticeable for the public. But to perform what he has done and still win is unacceptable for me. I believe that figure skating has lost a lot of his charm since they put so much importance on the technical elements and so little on artistic elements and the pure beauty of it. I wish I didn’t even loose time watching the show.

11. SEO says:

I have an enthusiastic synthetic attention designed for detail and may anticipate problems before these people take place.