Exclusive

Exclusive Castle Sneak Peek: Rick and Kate's Debate Over Their 'Song' Cues Up Big Revelations

Pfft, you can have your extended “Always” scene. The lost Castle moments I want to see are alluded to in this exclusive clip from the next episode.

In Monday’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (ABC, 10/9c) — which investigates the murder of a high school “mean girl” and might (just might) involve a telekenetic teen! – Rick and Kate stumble into a debate about, first, “band versus deejay” for their wedding. But that quickly segues into a discussion about what “our song” is. (P.S. Is Kate’s “Oh” one of the best line readings everrrr? Discuss.)

RELATED | General Hospital Vet to Visit Castle

Press play to hear their suggestions and, most importantly, why each song has meaning to them. And then do that thing you do, offering up in comments your own thoughts on what tune “Caskett” should first dance to if/when they wed.

Guest stars for the episode include Sam Anderson (Lost), Malese Jow (The Vampire Diaries) and Hannah Marks (Necessary Roughness).

Loading video...

1. Francine says:

Aw, these are the moments I love on this show.

• Cindy says:

So, what did you all think of last nights episode?? One of my favorites. The last scene of them “going to their prom” was sooooo sweet and sooooo cute!!!

2. Sammy says:

Love this sneak peek! Castle got the boss to sing to Beckett? That is showing Castle’s celebrity status and I love it.
    Also domestic, simple, normal couple Caskett is my fave. This clip shows it and what I knew they could be before they actually got together. Yay!

3. DarkDefender says:

This is all kinds of awesome.. I don’t see them singing karaoke, but I do see Castle getting Springstein pulling Beckett on stage “Courtney Cox style”…
    —-
    Really loving this season.

• Cindy says:

Gosh, that would be so cute to watch that scenario play out, but my pick as their ‘song’ would be, “At last” by Etta James. At last my love has come along!! i can just see them staring lovingly into each others eyes while those words are being sung. Just saying!

4. Kris says:

Matttt, why’d you have to remind us about the extended ‘Always’ scene? I try to forget that it ever existed. This clip is pretty adorable though.

5. Just one thing says:

I’m having THE most difficult time picturing them doing karaoke of any kind, under any circumstance, in any universe, but that was still a pretty cute scene.

6. yeah, I want to see the karaoke. and I’ve thought their song could be “Always”. Paul McCartney has a great version of that song.

7. Mark says:

this show like every other very good procedural before it ( without a trace, criminal minds, etc) is turning into a soap opera get married already and go back to what made this show great in seasons 1 to 3 the actual crime and banter. The stories now cater for a future wedding i.e: fashion for a wedding dress whats next a death in a bakery for a wedding cake its just becoming lame and lazy…..

• Just one thing says:

I always got the impression that Castle was a love story that happened to revolve around solving murders. From Episode One, this was always an eventuality. The core of this show is the relationship between the two leads, not the crimes.
      Luckily, there are about 20 other procedurals on air that choose to focus on the crime more than their characters’ relationship. Plenty to choose from in that pool.

• Danyelle says:

Let’s not feed the troll, lol

• Just one thing says:

LOL I’m not entirely sure it’s trolling. I’ve seen comments like this before from people who expect Castle to follow the same formula as every other crime show out there. I can’t tell you how glad I am that the show does NOT do that. :-P

• Cindy says:

I totally agree with you! Castle is not anything like past crime shows. But Castle is a comedy/drama, with comedy more than crime. This is the best show ever on tv. Love where Marlowe is bringing Caskett forward.

• Angela says:

I’m just trying to figure out how “Criminal Minds” is a soap opera. There’s many words I could use to describe that show. “Soap opera” isn’t among them.

• Just one thing says:

Yes. From what I’ve seen and heard, Criminal Minds is actually pretty gruesome.

• Mark says:

First off to call a person a troll for expressing an opinion is a bit harsh, I wonder if you’d complained like most of the masses about Alexis’s or Pi’s characters are you a troll? The reason I used criminal minds as an example is before seasons 1 to 5 the main focus of the show was on the profiling and the cases, now everybody has to be involved with somebody and the personal back story has to be told courtesy of Erica Messer. The second example Without a Trace was a brilliant show up until season 4 then the writers decided to go all personal and totally change the characters from the way they where to a whole different story line ultimately killing the show. So the heart of Castle at the start was the main two characters it was the writer and his family. And this new world of crime…. With Stana being pivotal to the change Castle gone through, but the crime ,wit and banter being the core of the show something its lost over the last season.

• Angela says:

They may have gotten significant others, but most of their loved ones also wound up dead, so it doesn’t seem like the show is overly big on relationships or the drama they bring. And the relationships that do and have existed, we only see those moments every great once in a while. It’s not like they intrude on every episode.
            Personally, I rather like the backstory stuff, myself-I like learning more about the characters. And it would be nice to see more people in happy relationships on that show to balance out the darker, more gruesome stuff that happens.

• Shelly says:

I don’t see the wit and the banter as being lost. I see it as being different. The banter that worked so well back then would just seem weird to me now. They’re not in the same place they were. Banter, wit, and snark are now based on an actual relationship, not an imaginary future relationship. Innuendo is based on reality, not possibility. It’s bound to be different.

I think that It’s so nice to see actual character grow on a TV series. And, growth that is consistent, continuous, and true to the characters (even if I don’t always like what I see.) TV shows that keep their characters static and run in place are the ones that I think are lazy and lame, not ones that are willing to show us what comes next. I think that characters should change, just as real people do. I’m not the same person I was 5 years ago, and I like the portrayal of a character on TV that reflects that.

Castle is hitting all the bases for me this season and I am enjoying every minute of it.

• Just one thing says:

“…And this new world of crime…. With Stana being pivotal to the change Castle gone through, but the crime ,wit and banter being the core of the show something its lost over the last season.”
            @Mark, could you please elaborate? I’d like to make sure I understand you correctly before I reply.

• Castle, while it’s indeed a procedural, has always centered around their relationship, and at times even the cases do. So, I’ll have to politely disagree with you there. You want pure procedural, CSI might be what you need. Not that that show hasn’t got its own share of relationships.

• Marguerite Petrizzi says:

i totally agree. At it’s heart, it’s all about relationships – Castle/Beckett, Castle/Alexis, Castle/Martha, Beckett/Ryan/Espo, Castle/Ryan/Espo. Whenever I think about episodes, mostly I remember the great lines or the goofy situations but I don’t remember the crime or the murderer. But back in the day when I watched Law & Order, I could always remember the crime & the murderer. Castle is a totally different breed of show. Love how they can be dramatic one week, goofy the next.

• Daniela says:

You can’t compare this show to Criminal Minds for example, I like that show too but Castle has more humor in it and whats the purpose of getting them together if they don’t have a story after their getting together. They still have good murder episodes the show has just evolved more. What with people that don’t like change. It would be boring if it was always the same.

• Really says:

From the start, the show is based on Castle and Beckett’s relationship.

• lame says:

Get used to this for the remainder of the season. This is the reward for all those shippers who’ve kept the ratings up for five seasons.

• Cindy says:

Like i’ve said before, best show ever!! So if you don’t like where the writers are bringing Caskett, then you can stop watching!!! Castle is NOT lame and lazy!

8. Asta says:

I’m telling you, the new Hart to Hart. They also prove you can become a television couple and the magic still continues. No Moonlighting jinx for them. Just love them together.

• scooby says:

Amen. I suspect neither you nor I would mind if they were the new Nick and Nora Charles either. ;)

• Cindy says:

Right on Asta!! I watched Moonlighting back then, and while I hoped those 2 would get together, they were NOTHING like Caskett!! They are the most cutest couple on tv, bar none!!!!! Best writers ever!! Thanks Andrew Marlowe and all the wonderful writers!

• Asta says:

I remember when it first came on, I believe it was on a Friday or Saturday night. The review that I read said it was “cookie-cutter” and basically nothing special. I of course loved Nathan, but didn’t get Stana. I thought she had to be the relative of someone to get the job. Didn’t think she was pretty at all, and that hair! I know this not to be the case because it’s not real life, but it’s almost like she became more beautiful because of Castle. I personally hate the moniker Casket, can’t we think of a romantic coupling?!

• Kida says:

This is so funny to me because it took me awhile to warm to Stana as well. I always recognized that she was a solid actress and appreciated it, but the warm feelings just weren’t there… I just didn’t get it yet. The stop and stare scene of the pilot sparked it a bit, but it took me until the middle of Season 2 to absolutely fall in love with her. I wasn’t a fan of Nathan’s (I think he’s a good actor but I don’t find him attractive) but I tuned in because the preview seemed so hilarious and fun, and the premise so witty. Then I saw Seamus was playing a funny, good guy and that endeared me even more to the show. I’d only seen him play baddies before. So it’s funny that despite me not loving the two leads initially that this show still became my favorite. I could not love this story of this show and the ensemble of characters more.
          The shipper name “Caskett” is also an oddity, but so are Castle and Beckett. What they do, what they’re into, who they are. They’re a couple that solves murders, and as morbid as that can become, this show also finds humor in everything. It’s perfect for them.

• Asta says:

No, you are so right about the shipper name. It makes sense the way you explain it. This is my fave show that I watch in real time and the only other one is Good Wife. It is really succeeding where Moonlighting failed.

• Kida says:

Exactly! Where both Moonlighting and Bones have failed in their trust of audiences, Castle has flourished. I hope this sets a new precedent for shows, in proving supercouples have staying power and are every bit as interesting and exciting together as they are apart. :)

9. Kida says:

Just imagining the two of them having these moments makes me giggle. Gosh, how cute. <3

10. Emma says:

Gah! Beckett and her adorable, disappointed “oh”. It’s definitely clear as to who keeps it sexy in that relationship! Lol! Which is crazy, because I always thought Castle would be the eager, always ready one..oh well, this scene is great anyways! How can you not love this?

11. James D says:

they’re cute as a button. Is there any question here really? its the Boss all the way. You always go with the Boss thats why he’s called the Boss :)

12. Joanne says:

I thought their song was Clarence Carter’s “You Talk Too Much”, isn’t that what Beckett said at the murder board? Don’t see that as the first dance at the wedding though!

• scooby says:

I think their song should be “Mission Control.” I sang it in elementary school but it’s pretty appropriate. Castle wants to be “on the next rocket in space” to get married. ;) Ha. Okay, maybe they want a more adult song, but that one’s pretty great.

13. Always, would be perfect song for Caskett’s wedding because he told her that all the time.

14. Allie says:

Matt, what would the Castle fandom do without you? Don’t ever leave us.
    Adorable scene and I can totally see them doing karaoke, especially after a hot day at the beach and one too many margaritas consumed.
    The song will end up being one that means something to the fans, so it will either end up being Stop and Stare or In My Veins. Personally, I don’t see either of those working as a first dance song, but betting they go with one of those. If they end up the episode with the reveal, and it’s one of those, we are almost guaranteed to not see the wedding or reception. They are giving us too much through these episodes. AWM is letting us see the plan, but we won’t see the execution.

15. It should be Stop and Stare from One Republic, this show is awesome. They are son adorable together

• Francine says:

I love that song and know it was used on the show (in the pilot?) but I don’t think that would be a good pick for their song. The lyrics and meaning don’t really fit.

16. Okay, guys,let’s just enjoy and move on with the show. Whether it’s more of a love story or
    Crime procedural, the end of this Series is not that far away. I say, Season 7 and that’s it!
    Contracts will be expiring, & the 2 LEADS especially have probably new project & plans lined up already….and I wish them the very best!!! I love CASTLE for all the years….BUT
    Most of all, I’ll MISS STANA the most!!! She is the very BEST at what she does, acting…..
    THANK YOU STANA. I will follow you in your career and endeavors. GoodLuck!!!

• K says:

Hmmm you don’t know that. I say Castle will have at least 2 more seasons. Castle isn’t a seven season show like Gilmore Girls.

• Cindy says:

Whoa! How can you already have the show ending in another year????? I see it going at least 10 years. True, contracts will be up, but I sure hope they renew for another 3-5 yrs. That is wishful thinking!!

17. Jenni says:

Ok, so that was an adorable scene. I can see them doing both of those things and I love that we get them dropped into conversation now as relationship history. Given how talented Stana and Nathan are, I think we’re going to be done a “severe injustice” if at some point we don’t hear them belt out a few karaoke classics!

*Disclaimer: I’m only a little bit joking about that.

SPOILER: I guess we know the topic of their conversation in the “Prom Dance” picture CastleABC released on twitter now. I’m betting whatever song is on in that scene is now “their song”.

• Allie says:

Re: your spoiler. Good point! And agree.

• Carey says:

Nathan can sing, Stana can’t. She couldn’t stay on pitch with the Piano Man whatsoever! Lol! You deluded Stanatics.

My friends and I determined what it is about Stana that’s so annoying and it’s her voice. It’s so weak & feeble that when she tries to project it aka “bad ass Beckett” mode, it comes off as trying too hard and falls flat. I’d even go as far as to say it’s cheesy as hell! I’m sorry, but in the real world criminals would have Beckett for lunch, I just can’t buy any of that stuff. My husband watches this show for Nathan, but even he’s getting tired of it & Nathan doesn’t do anything worthy on this show anymore so I think The Blacklist has won us over. That show has MUCH better acting, writing & overall plausibility given the wacky premise. So. Castle was fun in the beginning but now it’s tedious & corny. Peace out!

18. Raines says:

Adorable? Yes. But I am getting disinterested in the show and the wedding talk. But if I had to pick, I would second the You Talk Too Much song.

19. Me says:

I really like all the sweet tender moments that they are having, but the build up to the wedding is driving me nuts. As soon as that happens then everyone will be pushing for babies. I like when they are just a happy couple solving crimes.

20. Georgia Madman says:

Same here. No babies, please. Ryan’s was plenty.

21. K says:

Old blue eyes has some great versions of Always – that would make Kate happy :)

22. Sheldon W. says:

‘Do we not have a song?’ Definitely the line of year!

23. I would have LOVED to see them singing karaoke…I bet it was hilarious!

That being said…after 4 years of foreplay…how about…

“At Last” by Etta James….I know it’s not very original…but the lyrics do fit.

Or…if you want a bit more in the now…I suggest “All of Me” by John Legend. It’s such an amazing song.

24. Barbara Chiles says:

“Stop and Stare”—Episode One–when Castle realized he had to pursue that woman–Kate Beckett.

25. Rich Abey says:

Can’t really think of any obvious choices for their wedding song…there are way too many, but I’m hoping that Andrew Marlowe & Robert Duncan surprise us with a sickeningly appropriate ‘Caskett song’ that didn’t pop into our heads at the first going.
    Anyway Caskett all the way! :)

26. liz says:

they’re just so cute!

27. Here’s hoping they bring up “Lets Groove.” You can’t talk songs to play at your wedding without at least referencing Earth, Wind & Fire.

28. Apples says:

Super adorable scene, though I’m greedy and both want to see the ones referred to here AND the deleted Always scenes….

29. I expect a season 8 and then they will call it a day. Wedding Song. – Go with Stana’s real life suggestion – Is this love – Bob Marley. I think we are watching the wedding and doubt we will ever see a full ceremony. AWM is not big on long scenes. I for one am ready to see Kate juggle babies and police work. I’ve been with Castle since the beginning and plan to be there until the end. All shows change after 6 season, lo ok at one of the best – The West Wing. Castle fandom is strong and will keep this show running until its organic end.

30. Sunnykimmy says:

@Shelly I agree about the banter fitting their current relationship. I like the way it’s evolved. While it’s still fun and teasing, a lot of the bite has gone out of it. They’re no longer really swiping at each other like they used to, or especially Beckett used to. I think some of that bite was due to her trying to keep distance between her and Castle and cover up the fact that she actually really liked him. A way to keep him on his toes. She doesn’t have to do that anymore. He knows how she feels about them, so she can freely show that in their interactions.

The pushing and pulling they do nowadays is mostly just for fun. It’s a lot more playful and laced with affection. Beckett no longer tries to annoy him to get back at him for annoying her or anything. She’s not trying to insult him to hide that she likes him They just have fun teasing each other, the feel is different. And it works

31. Kay says:

They do have a song! She said it herself season 3? I believe it was anyways. Clarence Carter, you talk too much,

32. BaltimoreJaxs says:

I really feel that their song should be John Legend’s song “All of Me”. The words fit the two of them perfectly. It talks about her sharp edges and he calls her his muse. I know that its a bit corny, but if it was up to me I would pick that one. I keep waiting for some fan to do a video or a fanfic to the words.

33. Jackie says:

I was waiting for something in the clip to reference the ending scene of the return of the 3XK/creepy doctor epi with the song from that.

34. Why can’t Beckett and Castle have a romantic song with romantic lerics (“The first time ever I saw your face ….” I can’t femember the name of the female vocalist) then have the DJ play both their favorite tunes to dance to with their guests? Lerics in a romantic song should be meaningful to both and show their romantic and loving feelings for each other. This is Beckett’s first wedding, and it should be special for her as well as Castle.

35. ru says:

Since it has been “The Word” for ages now why not the song “Always” ? Get someone like Tony Bennett , Harry Connick Jr, Adele or Grace Potter to sing it so that is a more current performer . It is a romantic song.

36. BiancaHorkan says:

Looks like the winning song is:

In My Veins by Andrew Belle