CBS Announces Crazy Thursday Timeslot Swap, Sets Dates for Bad Teacher, Unforgettable

The Crazy Ones and Two and a Half MenCBS announced a number of key scheduling tweaks on Friday, including new timeslots for two of its Thursday sitcoms and premiere dates for new comedy Bad Teacher and Unforgettable Season 2b.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

First up, beginning Thursday, Feb. 27, The Crazy Ones and Two and a Half Men will swap timeslots, with the former moving to 9:30 pm and the latter shifting to 9 pm.

Meanwhile, Bad Teacher — a single-camera comedy starring Ari Graynor in the Cameron Diaz role — will assume The Crazy Ones‘ 9:30 perch Bad Teacher Premiere Dateon Thursday, April 24 (Crazy will have completed its 22-episode Season 1 run by then). The Teacher cast also includes Sara Gilbert, Ryan Hansen, David Alan Grier and Kristin Davis.

RELATED | Big Bang Theory, Elementary Poised to Move to New Night Next Fall

Unforgettable resumes its second season on Friday, April 4 at 8/7c, following the completion of Undercover Boss‘ season order.

1. kara says:

Is this good news or bad news for TCO?

2. alistaircrane says:

Looking forward to Bad Teacher! The cast sounds great, and I really enjoyed the movie.

3. Ari says:

I think this is good for TCO? They rather it have a stronger lead-in with 2.5M? And it could pick up people changing the channel from Idol.

4. Duke says:

That’s not the time slot swap I wanted.

Swapping the Crazy Ones and The (obnoxious) Millers would have given me a nice solid hour of entertainment, and a nice solid hour in which I can watch literally anything else.

• ^^ THIS.

TCO won’t do any better at 9.30, and the fact that CBS is wrapping it early in favor or Bad Teacher clearly shows that TCO is the odd man out between the 3 new sitcoms.
      The Millers is a timeslot hit. I wonder what kind of pathetic numbers it would pull if it didn’t have the Big Bang cushion. Even the retention out of TBBT is pathetic (between 50-60%).

TAAHM needs to die already, it doesn’t need a timeslot swap for a possible “revival”. Yeah, I get it, they want a somewhat solid lead-in for Bad Teacher, and they’re putting it on at 9pm earlier because they want to get audiences accustomed to the new slot before BT shows up. But I just can’t help but think that this spells doom for The Crazy Ones.

• tara17 says:

I agree, TCO is a solid show with a stellar cast. Can’t stand the Millers, I find its humor dated and lame. I also enjoy Mom, mainly due to the leads. Looking forward to Bad Teacher!

• Freckles says:

They wont be changing the time slot for Millers this year. Its a CBS produced show and that is what it gives an edge against TCO and of course better ratings.

5. jp2 says:

Unforgettable – I forget what that one is about or why it is going back on the air.

6. Jennifer says:

Whew, Unforgettable had me worried there for a minute on where they would put it.

So now Friday’s starting in April will be spend the night in NY,Hawaii and NY.

• Kathie Menker says:

So glad Unforgettable is coming back and on Fridays along with Hawaii 50 and Blue Bloods. Don’t even have to change the channel. Hope the other two get renewed for next year.
      jp2–Unforgettable, with Poppy Montgomery, is about a detective with a perfect memory. It serves her well as she tries to solve cases because she can picture any scene from the past and relate it to the present. It had been cancelled after its first season, but back on last year.

7. Colleen says:

So does that mean we’ll get season 3 later this summer for Unforgettable or one big season 2/3?

8. Jen says:

Anybody know how many episodes Bad Teacher Gets?

9. Jen says:

Aren’t the ratings decent for TCO?

• rowan77 says:

Decent ratings are for other networks. CBS expects high ratings considering the cost for the series (with that cast it can’t be cheap) and the night it’s on. But I like that they are giving it a chance with a timeslot that will give them better audience numbers now that Men is in the tentpole position.

• Jax says:

It’s all relative. Generally speaking it is a decent rating but if you look at just CBS shows not so much. It has the lowest average rating of any CBS comedy.

10. Maybelline Green says:

I thought for sure that BAD TEACHER would land on Mondays. It is also starting very late…will there be time to sample it for a renewal/cancellation?

11. Eric7740 says:

Don’t mess with my Crazy Ones CBS!!! It’s your best comedy and with HIMYM out the door, you need all the good comedies you can get!!!

• rowan77 says:

Relax, they’re helping, not hurting the show with the move.

• Tess says:

Doesn’t seem like it’s really helping.. the move seems like a way to bolster TAAHM rather than helping TCO. Having TCO end in April also makes it seem more likely to be a goner – how many shows end before May sweeps and still get picked up for another season – especially when it’s their freshman season that’s ending in April? When is TAAHM scheduled to air its finale? If they’re on the same night then maybe it doesn’t look quite as bad for TCO (though I would think that all things being equal they’d rather keep old timer TAAHM around for another season than newbie TCO) but if TAAHM is airing their finale in May, then it’s more likely TCO is done for. Late season schedule changes and early season finales don’t usually bode well. Shame though, TCO is a good show; it’s the only CBS comedy I even bother to watch.

• rowan77 says:

You can’t say that it’s not really helping – because they haven’t actually aired in those timeslots yet. Men has better ratings that The Millers, so the lack of a strong lead-in is currently dragging down TCO. By giving it a stronger lead-in show, they are hoping people will stick around for TCO as well. It’s smart. And frankly the show is uneven. Sometimes is funny, sometimes is flounders. Kelley is not a sitcom writer and the depend a great deal on Robin Williams to do his schtick. It’s better than it was, but it’s hardly hitting it out of the park every week, comedy wise. This is giving to a chance to be seen. So yeah – it’s a good thing.

As for the show ending in April – there’s nothing wrong with that. Again, the numbers aren’t strong, so having it play during May sweeps wouldn’t be the best thing for further revenue. But that doesn’t mean the network wants to pull the plug. Moonves tends to give good shows a chance to find themselves. Hell, he’s even given some crummy shows a chance (Two Broke Girls, anyone?). Stop panicking. Ending it in April means less repeats (if any) and a whole new show to take from spring into summer. It’s smart programming to keep giving us new shows all year.

• Jen says:

2nd Best I feel TBBT is better

12. dq18 says:

I would think it would stand to reason that for people watching live (who even does that anymore?!) the longer they go with something that is less funny the more likely they are to change the channel. In this respect, moving TCO up a slot is a better idea. I personally enjoy TAAHM, but not like I used to. I watch it because it’s there – it isn’t “must see tv,” I get a couple of chuckles out of it but it’s mostly just background noise while I cook or whatever. I don’t hate The Millers, but it’s honestly only set to record because the other half likes it. Otherwise, I could do without it and not be any worse off.

13. David4 says:

So they are moving The Crazy Ones for a month? Yeah that screams “Second season!”.

14. tvdiva says:

It’s about time Unforgettable aired the rest of the season’s episodes. I bought a season pass on ITUNES and the first half of the season in the new locale was great.

15. Jared says:

Regardless of the timeslot change TCO should see a 2nd season on CBS. Its been doing solid business all season so far and the cast is top notch.

16. EJ says:

I wish that CBS would run the 3 or 4 Unforgettable episodes which weren’t seen by victims of The Big Time-Warner Blackout of 2013.

17. JM says:

Wonder what will replace the abysmal Bad Teacher after its early cancellation (the pilot was so bad, I’m guessing after episode 2).

18. Pam Harris says:

CBS can forget Thursdays after 9:00pm. Although I do look at TAAHM on OnDemand; at 9:00 my tv is tuned into ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy and SCANDAL! I record, look at the actual show, and still catch it again on OnDemand! Scandal is to television now what Dallas used to be in the 80s & 90s.

19. Lucie Roy says:

I need to ask … When you use the expression “a single-camera” like you did above for Bad Teacher … what does that mean … how many cameras is there in other programs ???

• amanda says:

Other shows like Big Bang Theory or Two and a Half Men are considered multi-cam sitcom. Multicam sitcoms use many cameras to shoot a scene all at once from different angles. Single can means that each angle is done in a different set up. For example they’d do a wide shot, then they would move in for closeups.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

MODERN FAMILY and NEW GIRL are single-camera comedies. BIG BANG THEORY and TWO AND A HALF MEN are multi-camera sitcoms.

20. Kaycee says:

Imdb says Virginia Williams from Fairly Legal is on Bad Teacher, is this true? Love her, I hope it is.

21. liz says:

well finally we’re getting the rest of Unforgettable. Been forever.

22. Boiler says:

Betting Bad Teacher won’t be around long!! What will they do then?

23. LINDA says:

Sounds like a plan to me!!!

24. JoyAnne says:

I’m happy to see Unforgettable is finally coming back. As for The Millers. I’d had to have a mum the way she is written on that show. I quit watching it.

25. JoyAnne says:

Meant to say I’d HATE to have a mum the way she is written. :)

26. J.Norman says:

They should have swapped TCO and TAAHM a while ago, or better yet, they should have reversed there order at the start of the season.

TAAHM was doing better as the lead in last season. CBS had no real reason to move it to 9;30 this season.
    The combined ratings of the 2 shows will improve with this move.

27. Joey says:

Bad move moving The Crazy Ones to 9:30. Two and A Half Man should be done after this season. the show been on for far too long.

28. murley says:

I would hate to see The Crazy Ones go. I am surprised by how much I have gotten into that show. Hopefully the time change is not actually bad news.
    Ironically I can’t remember anything about Unforgettable or what that show is. At all.

29. Kelly says:

I have alot to watch starting in April starting with unforgettable then Hawaii 50 then blue bloods then shark tank then continnum. Messin With the dvr .