The CW Issues Early Renewals to Supernatural, Reign, The Originals and 2 Other Series

The CW Renewals 2014The CW is getting an early jump on the 2014-15 season, issuing early renewals to five series, including freshman dramas The Originals and Reign.

The network is also bringing back established hits Supernatural, The Vampire Diaries and Arrow for Season 10, Season 6 and Season 3, respectively.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Renewed? What’s on the Bubble?

“This season we’ve had great success with our new hit series The Originals paired with Supernatural, giving us our best Tuesday nights in years,” said CW prez Mark Pedowitz in a statement. “The Vampire Diaries is No. 2 in its time period in the young adult demos, and with Arrow continuing to gain among young men, and Reign growing its time period, we now have strong nights on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I’m very pleased to announce early pickups for all five series, and let our fans know they’ll have more great drama to look forward to next season.”

Additional pickups could come closer to the May upfronts, so don’t administer last rites to The Carrie Diaries, Hart of Dixie, The Tomorrow People and Beauty and the Beast just yet.

Which renewal are you most excited/relieved about? Hit the comments!

1. JC says:

Good to know that Arrow’s been renewed, but I know it wasn’t ever in question. What would make me really happy is an announcement that Caity Lotz has been picked up as a series regular for season three. Last year they announced Emily Bett Rickards had been promoted to regular for season two the day after the renewal announcement, so it wouldn’t be unheard of. And it’s starting to spoil some of my enjoyment of the show always fearing that Sara’s about to get killed off.

• RicFule says:

But Sara NEEDS to be killed. She should have never come back in the first place. Hmm. Maybe she’s ALREADY dead. I mean, with Slade out after Ollie, and the Ollie/Sara kiss, maybe Slade will kill Sara off in the finale. In full view of Ollie and Laurel.

• JC says:

No she does not need to be killed – she’s awesome. Best thing to happen to this show after Felicity. Now if Slade wants to kill Laurel, I would cheer him on. That would improve this show immensely.

2. Christy says:

So happy that Supernatural, Arrow and Vampire Diaries got renewed love those shows.

3. Dee says:

Shocked at Reign….maybe I should give it another try?

4. Fabe says:

Reign is honestly the best show on TV right now. It is so over the top, but the cast and writers know this, which makes the show just a pure joy. It’s just insanely fun. I don’t know why everyone is nagging on TVD this season. I am enjoying it a thousand times more than last season. I for one love Katherine possessing Elena, and I really love the addition of Nadia this year. I just hope The Carrie Diaries gets renewed! It’s pulling the same numbers as Beauty and the Beast, but on a Friday which is notorious for low ratings, so that is working in its favor. I’m also hoping since AnnaSophia Robb is sort of a get for The CW, they won’t want to cut her loose.

• dude says:

Completely agree about Reign. I think the second half of TVD has been really good because the Katherine possessing Elena storyline is genius but the first half was utter garbage.

5. Donna says:

Happy to hear about Arrow. I do hope that The Tomorrow People is renewed though. I watched the original series and I have really enjoyed the new revival of it.

6. Hannah says:

Thrilled with Supernatural’s pickup. But what about Misha? I need to know I’ll have my Cas in Season 10. He’s the main reason I watch.

• march says:

Yeah, the longer they wait the more I flashback to Season 6 and the ‘lol, he’s not coming back’ announcement. So yes, I hope they tell us soon.

7. catalina says:

Pleasantly surprised but so happy about Reign. I love this show. It’s so much fun!

8. Lori says:

I’m very happy for Originals, will catch up on Reign with Netflix. I hope HOD and Tomorrow people are renewed. Of course I will watch the Winchesters as long as they are on, keep watching Vampire diaries just to see Stephan get a happy ending.

9. falva says:

Woohhooo!! Arrow!!!!

10. spignejr says:

I think a The Tomorrow People renewal as a limited series fall run (13-15 episodes) coupled with a The 100 renewal (if it does well) as a limited series spring run would work. This would cut production costs and force the writers to do a better job at making the season better, with limited episodes.

I think Hart Of Dixie has had its time. It’s proven to not do that well. Let it go. Or even do a Fridays limited run in the fall or spring.

And Brad Kern should just stop writing. He ruined Charmed and ruined Beauty and the Beast (sorry Kristin).

And I really don’t see StarCrossed surviving.

I like the idea of networks doing limited run series in the fall and spring. it would allow for more shows on their schedule and the chance for more people to watch the network. And better quality writing.

LifeUnexpected was an example of this. Just wish the ratings were there.

• Maryann says:

I wondered what happened to Charmed. It all makes sense now.

• liz says:

omg yesss about Brad Kern. I hadn’t drawn the connection before; Charmed got sooooo stupid and BATB has been soooo stupid this season (like seriously, mystical jewels?!). Now there’s a connection…..and a scape goat.

• Brandy says:

HoD is incredibly stable in ratings though they arent great.and Likley will be renewed for syndication.It was the third highest rated show for the last three weeks of season one and in season two was the fourth or fifth highest rated show beating half the networks other shows.

• Brandy says:

Life Unexpected wasn’t a “limited series”.Its first season it started in Midseason so it had only 13 episodes.Season 2,it failed to get good enough ratings for a backorder but the back nine option was there(which isn’t the case with limited series).

11. dude says:

RRRREEEEIIIIGGGNNNNNN!!!!! YES!!!! Love that show! The CW’s best show by far. This was a very smart move.

12. Brandy says:

Happy for Reign.Wish HoD would get renewed too.Id also like to have Carrie & BatB renewd but I’ve accepted that’s very unlikely.

13. Curt says:

well, ok, seems Supernatural has gotten very, very old …. however, I have become a huge fan of the Tomorrow People. Sigh

14. really hoping for Tomorrow People to be renewed. It’s getting better with every ep and I wish more people gave it a chance.

15. Michelle says:

Happy for Arrow and Supernatural. I had to quit watching TVD, they lost me. Only still watching the Originals for Klaus. I could not get past the pilot for Reign.

16. Mickey says:

Please, please, please don’t let go of Beauty and the Beast. I just love that show.

17. Maryann says:

Glad to hear about The Vampire Diaries, The Originals, and Arrow. The success of Reign just goes to show you what happens when the head of a network wants to see a show succeed, and promotes the heck out of it. Would love to see The Tomorrow People renewed, and here’s hoping that Beauty and the Beast at least gets a short season next year to finish off its story lines. Beauty is an example of what happens when (1) the network brass don’t get a show and (2) they replace an excellent showrunner with one that does not get the characters, their relationships, or the basic premise. If this year’s storylines had been about Cat and Vincent against the world and their basically star-crossed love, I daresay that the ratings this season would have gone up instead of down.

18. laura says:

I need hart of dixie and Beauty and the beast also

19. John Smith says:

NBC is considering picking up “Smallville, Plus 1″ as a continuation of where the CW series ended. Tom and Erika are being lined up before anything else is leaked about it. If it comes to pass, expect it in Feb. 2015. Apart from Tom and Erika, everyone else may be recast or eliminated in favor of new characters

20. Jacqi says:

Yea for TVD. Hoping for tomorrow people too

21. kickthemintheassbutts says:

Season 10 Supernatural!!!!!!!!!! *runs around in a flaming circle before collapsing and continuing to roll around on the ground

Ok, *clears throat and straightens up* I am so incredibly happy about this news I don’t even know how to describe it logically. Great news about all the other shows too, congrats everyone! But everyone in the SPN Family, come here for a moment. *massive group bear hug*

22. Peter Rakobowchuk says:

After catching up to “Supernatural” on Netflix, I’m still hooked but slipping off the line and I don’t think it can be sustained past Season 10. You can have TOO MUCH of a good thing!

23. David says:

It breaks my hart (haha) to say this, but I wish they had just let Hart of Dixie go and kept Emily Owens MD and tried to get some ground with that series.. it was fantastic and HOD just hasn’t had that first year magic (i actually haven’t watched past the first 2 or 3 episodes from this season so maybe it has- is Joel still around ugh).

24. Mark says:

Great to hear that Arrow is back.
    Please renew Beauty and the Beast as well

25. Sayadyna says:

Definitely HOORAY for SUPERNATURAL

26. James D says:

no surprises her except maybe for Reign. I hope they renew Tomorrow People I’m enjoying it a lot more then i thought i would.

27. Liza says:

Terrific news!! I agree with many other posters that we also need a Hart of Dixie renewal. That show is a real gem!

28. CBWBDK1 says:

I’m surprised they renewed Reign and not the Tomorrow people.

• Brandy says:

Why ?Reign improved its timeslot,TTP didn’t and TTP is being moved for underperforming after Arrow.Reign does better than TTP online viewing ,social media,in 18-34 demo and has better ratings than TTP for all but four or five weeks of the season.Reign has been more steady in ratings while TTP declined from 0.9 to 0.5 in eight episodes behind a good leadin.CW supports Reign,it was very heavily promoted and Pedowitz said at TCAs “I’m bullish about it.I look foward to it returning ” after coming out to its theme music.

• CBWBDK1 says:

Slow down fangirl brandy. TTP isn’t being moved. Where are you getting this from? Did you make it up? Reign is terrible. It’s so boring.

• JC says:

It IS being moved. It’s going to take BatB’s spot following Starcrossed. BatB is going on hiatus, HoD is going to Friday, and The 100 is taking TTP’s slot following Arrow. I don’t have the link, but do a search for CW Midseason Schedule and you’ll find it.

• Brandy says:

tTP is being moved from Wed to Mon on March 17.Look up CW Midseason and you’ll see.Also,pointing out facts isn’t being fan girl.

• CBWBDK1 says:

I didn’t know. That sucks. I liked watching Arrow and TTP on the same night.

• guest says:

Not sure where you have been CBWBDK1 but TTP is being moved to Mondays this Spring.

29. Elisabeth says:

Beauty and the Beast. PLEASE. we want a 3 season.

30. sara says:

It’s ironic that at the start of the season, I was so sure The Originals and Reign would be the first to get cancelled based on the premise. I’m so happy that i gave Reign a try because its fantastic. The story keeps getting better. So looking forward to S2 now.

31. desertpoet1 says:

I expected Arrow and Supernatural but I’m pleasantly surprised and excited by Reign. it’s my new favorite show this season.

32. Stephanie says:

Love the tomorrow people, please renewed the tomorrow people.

33. alistaircrane says:

So glad Supernatural was renewed! Now I’m praying its spinoff, Tribes, is ordered to series!

• 5654funny says:

The Orginals is one of the best shows and if the fan buzz contiune to watch the orginals then the show will be renewed for sixith seasons

34. Adele says:

Beauty and the Beast needs a season 3, there are many more stories to tell when Vincent and Catherine are back together. This show is amazing and highly under-rated. The only bad thing they did was move it to Monday nights.

35. Joey says:

Happy Arrow got renewed for season 3! Hope Hart of Dixie and The Tomorrow People get renewed for another season.

36. Doretta says:

I watch TVD, TO, TTP, HOD, BATB, Supernatural and Arrow regularly with my daughter. Three of these shows are from the talented writer, Julie plec and company. The Carrie Diaries and Reign are not particular favourites of mine but I think the CW should give them both, not just Reign another season. I hope that TVD will give the Matt Donovan storyline some attention. The potential is there for another spinoff if Elena and Matt reveal that they had a baby when she was 16.

37. JMS says:

I am so glad I stuck with “The Tomorrow People”. I wasn’t sure about it for awhile, but it has really been picking up. Then after last week’s reveal, I am more excited than ever about it’s potential.

38. It had so much potential says:

Maybe now that the Originals got renewed they will fix season two so that I can actually watch. Though that is signifucantlyu doubtful. The crap they are writing now is awful I don’t care about the stupid baby plot. I wanted a show about The originals with lots of flashbacks and being murderous and evil. I am tired of these stupid love triangles too. Can any show ever be about something another than stupid love triangles? And for the love of god give Rebekah a storyline!!! Lastly if you are not going to kill off the rediculously annoying Camille at least make sure the “pych” student actually knows about pyschology! Where do they find these writers, high school fanfiction clubs?

• Darla says:

We must be watching two different shows – I love The Originals in part because it doesn’t have “stupid love triangles” – but rather complicated family relationships. And the baby plot line has been a mostly “B” storyline this season in comparison to Davina, War with the Witches, and Klaus vs Marcel. That doesn’t mean it won’t become bigger later – but it’s been a shockingly quiet storyline since it was introduced. And this is coming from someone who loathed the idea of a “miracle vampire baby” storyline to begin with.

39. Robin says:

I am SO happy Reign was renewed! Best news of the day…Thank you CW for this happy early Valentine’s present! :D

40. Nadia says:

I’m sooo happy Supernatural and Reign are getting renewed. Those shows are great!

41. Samantha says:

Amazing news!!!
    I literally screamed when I saw there would be another season of SPN, I love it with all my heart.
    I hope season 3 of Arrow is the season of Olicity and Felicity. She needs to be on screen more. And would be great to watch the start of Olicity this season and the development on the next.
    Also loved that The Originals was renewed, the relationship between the Mikaelson’s is the best.
    Fingers crossed for a renew of The Tomorrow People, the show is getting great.

42. Melody Paris says:

The only one still on the bubble is The Tomorrow People, and it’s renewal will depend on the two new shows premiering the next few weeks.

43. Sarah says:

AWESOME NEWS ABOUT REIGN!!!

44. rachael says:

So why is Reign not on tonight? I was pretty disappointed to see that Arrow is on instead.

45. Renee says:

I am 49 and I love Reign. I also have my husband watching it and he likes it. I am so happy!! Thanks CW!!! :-)

46. Beth says:

Yey for REIGN.. i love this show..

next.. The Tomorrow People please..

47. liz says:

Its frustrating that the CW seems to have decided to move in a new direction, renewing their male-lead shows (SPN, Originals, Arrow, etc) to the detriment of female-lead shows. Sigh.

48. Tee says:

Reign is pretty much my new guilty pleasure, though way too much bipolar love triangle going on too soon in the story. Still happy to see it’ll be around a while longer!

49. Delena forever says:

Tvd!!!!!!!

50. A says:

It’s weird to me that I’m in love with so many shows on the CW. They are making amazingly good shows right now which shocks me since I had not really liked anything on that network since Gilmore Girls (and sometimes Smallville). Reign, Origionals, Heart of Dixie, and my favorite show Arrow are all so much fun to watch.