Lip-Locked: The 19 Best Kisses in TV History

Get More: Photo Gallery

kisspost325It often strikes without warning. The setup almost too flawless: a longing gaze, a tilt of the head, a casual laugh that slowly trails off, a flicker of the eyes… Sometimes, it’s influenced by things beyond our control: the ticking of a bomb. Close quarters in a limousine. Even plastic wrap.

Just what is “it,” you ask?

PHOTOS | 24 TV Characters Who Are (Probably) About to Die

Why it’s the beloved TV kiss, of course! You know, those things that makes us laugh and cry and gasp and even feel butterflies. This Valentine’s Day, TVLine is celebrating the art of the lip lock by presenting a gallery of the best kisses from primetime’s past and present — including video so you can re-live your favorites from series including BonesNashville, Lost and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Don’t see your favorite kiss represented in the gallery below? While we tried to include the best of the best (our lips are sore just thinking about it), we’re sure we missed a few smooches along the way. So hit the comments and let us know which romantic clinch we missed!

Comments (458)

• The John/Aeryn kiss from “Season of Death” will always be my favorite kiss in the history of television. The passion, chemistry and sheer intensity will always leave me awestruck.

Comment by Shaunie Starlight (@suncrichtons) – February 13, 2014 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have to really agree with this one. That kiss was HOT; finally all the walls were down… and then… frustrating as all hell… Man I miss Farscape.

Comment by kajar – February 13, 2014 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I could’ve easily had John/Aeryn take 5 of these spots, they had so many amazing kisses to choose from. The “Season of Death” kiss is my favorite though.

Comment by MC – February 13, 2014 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Indeed, this list shows a serious lack of John/Aeryn. The “Season of Death” one is a good candidate. But my personal favorite is the one at the end of the “Look At The Princess” trilogy. Ben Browder and Claudia Black have unparallelled onscreen chemistry.

Comment by Jon – February 14, 2014 12:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No TVD representatives? Idk which one counts as Delena’s first kiss, but they were all big deals…

Comment by Annie – February 13, 2014 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you fro including Olivia and Fitz. That kiss from that episode was hot!

Comment by Sara – February 13, 2014 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nick/Jess and Logan/Veronica NEED to be on this list. I think I rewatched both more than a dozen times the day that they originally aired.

Comment by Bridget – February 13, 2014 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep, both of those kisses were perfect!

Comment by Shannon – February 13, 2014 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly.

Comment by Lecholls – February 13, 2014 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House and Cuddy, baby.

Comment by norhu – February 13, 2014 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Nick and Jess. This list is invalid.

Comment by TVLine Is A Joke – February 13, 2014 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO House and Cuddy??!!

Comment by Jade – February 13, 2014 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brittana! They had so few kisses, but they were all so good and meaningful!

Comment by Best – February 13, 2014 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Willow and Tara! I’m so happy they made this list! When I was coming out they were the only lesbians on my tv! Epic!

Comment by Yay – February 13, 2014 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sydney and Vaughn on Alias. Lois and Clark From SMALLVILLE!!!!!!!

Comment by Gail – February 13, 2014 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where are Doug and Carol and Mark and Susan from ER?

Comment by Marco – February 13, 2014 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How,how, HOW can you leave out Nathan and Haley’s rain kisses? Hottest kissers ever. Logan and Veronica, hottest first kiss ever. Jax and Tara hottest up against the wall kisses. Brian and Justin, Doug and Carol, Michael and Sara! I could keep going.
    Half of this list is so full of cheese, they should have mold on the pictures.

Comment by toniinterrupted – February 13, 2014 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uh, Logan and Veronica Mars. Seriously. I don’t even like them as a couple and that was a hot kiss.

Comment by Krystan – February 13, 2014 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So many great choices!
    Jim and Pam
    Ben and Leslie
    Chuck and Blair
    Pacey and Joey
    Fitz and Olivia
    Kate and Sawyer

Three really glaring omissions for me personally are
    Veronica and Logan
    Seth and Summer Spiderman Kiss
    Sam and Diana’s first kiss

Great list though :)

Comment by Jennifer Marshall – February 13, 2014 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No House/Cuddy, no Mulder/Scully, no Josh/Donna?? This list is lame, if it’s best kisses in TV History, there should be more from series that have concluded, not currently airing shows.

Comment by S.Y. Grullon (@partypantscuddy) – February 13, 2014 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Excellent point–I was furious about Kurt/Blaine being left out but that one Huddy kiss in the hallway of her house, I think it was the first one, absolutely!

Comment by e0811 – February 13, 2014 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Current shows = more clicks = more money for tvline ;)

Comment by ruth – February 14, 2014 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Justin & Brian QAF???

Comment by kjmorse – February 13, 2014 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Nick and Jess but Mindy and Danny and Ross and Rachel made it? Wow it better be because Nick and Jess had such an amazing first kiss they shouldn’t even be compared to all these couples…

Comment by guest – February 13, 2014 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Burn Notice’s Mike and Fi S1E7! HOTT!

Comment by Mib – February 13, 2014 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ryder and Marley’s kiss in Unchained Melody for Glee is the best tv kiss BY FAR to me. :)

Comment by Sydney Nichole – February 13, 2014 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NICK AND JESS!!!!!!

Comment by J – February 13, 2014 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Lois and Clark from Smallville totally belong on this list. It took HOW long for Clark to pull his head out of Lana’s ass after all and see what was right in front of him?

Comment by Danielle – February 13, 2014 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree!

Comment by ncmacasl – February 13, 2014 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL!!! Yep, Clois had so many awesome kisses…ones they remembered, ones in the future…hard to choose just one,

Comment by sara – February 13, 2014 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck and Blair <3 (though where is Logan and Veronics's first kiss?)

Comment by Danielle – February 13, 2014 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want something from One Tree Hill on this list, because it was just too good.

Wasn’t there a kiss between Ted and The Mother in the pilot this year? Just because of the gravitas that it has, it should be included.

Comment by Chris – February 13, 2014 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously, your entire list is within the last few years?

Comment by NoChance – February 13, 2014 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You’re joking, right? You just listed 19 of the best onscreen kisses and you seriously were going to leave out Kurt and Blaine from Original Song? I’m assuming that’s a joke and you are going to write an article singling it out as the best onscreen kiss ever. Not only was is groundbreaking, emotional and pretty much the best thing I’ve ever seen, you listed a semi-boring kiss between Brittana instead–WTF? They had some cute moments but NOT from The Break Up, certainly.

Embarrassing. Seriously.

Comment by Elizabeth – February 13, 2014 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The only thing here that is embarrassing is your comment. I agree Klaine had an epic kiss, but it doesn’t have to be on literally every list ever. And you don’t have to dis every kiss on this list by acting like a spoiled child. “You’re joking, right?” No, they are obviously not joking. I don’t agree with every kiss on here and I think they left a lot of great kisses off the list, but there is no reason to be rude to them or to all the fans with couples on this list, Personally, I believe the first homosexual kiss on tv was more groundbreaking, but it did not make the list either. Oh well, there is always next year. Hope your day gets better.

Comment by No need to be disrespectful – February 13, 2014 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sounds like someone needs a nap.

Comment by Mommy – February 13, 2014 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • All Glee kisses should be off this list. Not that they weren’t good, but nowhere near best of ALL time

Comment by EJ386 – February 13, 2014 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Buffy/Angel in I Will Remember You.

Comment by Jen – February 13, 2014 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Peter and Olivia’s first kiss. She traveled through universes to find him!

Comment by Katherine215 – February 13, 2014 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why not Tony and Ziva….what´s going on ?!?

Comment by Jana Spekhorstová – February 13, 2014 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Missing Shawn and Juliet’s first kiss on Psych!

Comment by Brandon – February 13, 2014 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brittany and Santana kiss :( Def one of the more well done heartbreaking moments on the show. Dang did you have to put the saddest kiss on the Valentines day kiss list lol. Such a strong and sad moment though.

Comment by Samantha – February 13, 2014 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry, but I have to intercede for Idris Elba, here. This list seems to be of chaste, primetime viewing, kisses. And if that’s true, then I have no problems. But before I saw the scene in The Wire where Stringer Bell kisses Donnette (D’Angelo’s girl), I was like “Idris Elba, eh. He’s alright . . .” But AFTER that scene, I was like “Idris Elba! He is soooo sexy.” IJS Fan for life.

Comment by LaLa – February 13, 2014 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you’ve never seen Idris Elba (Lenny) in ‘The Big C’ find the videos for Season 1 Episodes 5 and 6. There is a scene of characters Lenny and Cathy in one of those episodes that I guarantee you will rewind and rewatch a few times. Idris Elba was only in four episodes (also episodes 8 and 9) of the series. I truly hope you can find it. The man is hot!

Comment by CarrieB – February 13, 2014 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Loved him in ‘Luther’. Oh yes, he’s hot!!!!

Comment by JM – February 14, 2014 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Erm…KLAINE!!!!!

Your oversight is very glaring >_>

Comment by mockingj91 – February 13, 2014 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • David and Maddie kiss on Moonlighting was an epic kiss back in the day…

Comment by Dan – February 13, 2014 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kurt & Blaine’s First Kiss on GLEE!!!!!!!

Comment by Lorinda – February 13, 2014 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DAMON AND ELENA!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Elyse – February 13, 2014 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Derrick and Meredith in the candle house or any other time he kissed her for that matter.

Comment by db – February 13, 2014 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very short TV history you have there

Comment by Hannah – February 13, 2014 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe that Veronica and Logan aren’t on here, for their first kiss!

Comment by Corinne – February 13, 2014 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why was it that the only man on man kiss wasn’t shown? Girl on girl is ok but not two guys! Care to explain?

Comment by Donna – February 13, 2014 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finn and Rachel’s kiss in the “tongue tied” where he dipped her and his tongue goes in her mouth and there is confetti. Or their “without you” kiss. If you are gonna say Brittana, you should use their “tongue tied” kiss. Also buffy and angel’s kisses were all epic. Can’t choose one.

Comment by Real – February 13, 2014 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Moonlighting!! Cheers!! Frasier (Niles & Daphne)!!

Comment by ncmacasl – February 13, 2014 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House and Cuddy’s kiss through the tears, don’t remember the title of the episode. So real and gut-wrenching.

Comment by Hmm – February 13, 2014 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What the hell?! Hello?! LoVe?! Logan & Veronica?! Nick & Jess?! I demand a re-count!

Comment by Tina B. – February 13, 2014 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I see what you did here. Left off the most passionate, hot kiss EVER so you could get me to click. House/Cuddy is easily the best kiss in well, ever.

Comment by Leesa – February 13, 2014 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Before looking through the pictures I sadly thought “There’s no way they’ll include Joey and Pacey” BUT THEY DID! <3

Comment by KM – February 13, 2014 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Add me to the people wondering how on earth you could omit Veronica and Logan.

Comment by Marceline (@MsMarceline) – February 13, 2014 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To each their own! I like some of these, others are a little underwhelming if considering of all time. Personally I would have included Luke and Lorelai for sure on the doorstep. But it’s your list! So no real complaints since these types of lists are subjective. So overall, fun list! :)

Comment by AT – February 13, 2014 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seeing so many people upset about House and Cuddy’s kiss not making this list makes me so happy! I miss them!
    Also, no Emma and Hook? You can like them or not but that kiss was H O T!

Comment by vioncina – February 13, 2014 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • All Emma and Hook did was make me nauseous.

Comment by Joey – February 13, 2014 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um, I can’t believe Al and Tipper Gore’s convention kiss was left out of this list.

Comment by Demmy – February 13, 2014 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The hottest kiss I have seen on tv is from SOA when Tara grabs Jax when they are at Cara Cara and she pulls him into the bathroom and they kiss…Most memorable kiss for me.

Comment by Kris – February 13, 2014 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post