Lip-Locked: The 19 Best Kisses in TV History

kisspost325It often strikes without warning. The setup almost too flawless: a longing gaze, a tilt of the head, a casual laugh that slowly trails off, a flicker of the eyes… Sometimes, it’s influenced by things beyond our control: the ticking of a bomb. Close quarters in a limousine. Even plastic wrap.

Just what is “it,” you ask?

PHOTOS | 24 TV Characters Who Are (Probably) About to Die

Why it’s the beloved TV kiss, of course! You know, those things that makes us laugh and cry and gasp and even feel butterflies. This Valentine’s Day, TVLine is celebrating the art of the lip lock by presenting a gallery of the best kisses from primetime’s past and present — including video so you can re-live your favorites from series including BonesNashville, Lost and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Don’t see your favorite kiss represented in the gallery below? While we tried to include the best of the best (our lips are sore just thinking about it), we’re sure we missed a few smooches along the way. So hit the comments and let us know which romantic clinch we missed!

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Photo Gallery

1. The John/Aeryn kiss from “Season of Death” will always be my favorite kiss in the history of television. The passion, chemistry and sheer intensity will always leave me awestruck.

• kajar says:

Have to really agree with this one. That kiss was HOT; finally all the walls were down… and then… frustrating as all hell… Man I miss Farscape.

• MC says:

I could’ve easily had John/Aeryn take 5 of these spots, they had so many amazing kisses to choose from. The “Season of Death” kiss is my favorite though.

• Jon says:

Indeed, this list shows a serious lack of John/Aeryn. The “Season of Death” one is a good candidate. But my personal favorite is the one at the end of the “Look At The Princess” trilogy. Ben Browder and Claudia Black have unparallelled onscreen chemistry.

2. Annie says:

No TVD representatives? Idk which one counts as Delena’s first kiss, but they were all big deals…

3. Sara says:

Thank you fro including Olivia and Fitz. That kiss from that episode was hot!

4. Bridget says:

Nick/Jess and Logan/Veronica NEED to be on this list. I think I rewatched both more than a dozen times the day that they originally aired.

5. norhu says:

House and Cuddy, baby.

6. TVLine Is A Joke says:

No Nick and Jess. This list is invalid.

7. Jade says:

NO House and Cuddy??!!

8. Best says:

Brittana! They had so few kisses, but they were all so good and meaningful!

9. Yay says:

Willow and Tara! I’m so happy they made this list! When I was coming out they were the only lesbians on my tv! Epic!

10. Gail says:

Sydney and Vaughn on Alias. Lois and Clark From SMALLVILLE!!!!!!!

11. Marco says:

Where are Doug and Carol and Mark and Susan from ER?

12. How,how, HOW can you leave out Nathan and Haley’s rain kisses? Hottest kissers ever. Logan and Veronica, hottest first kiss ever. Jax and Tara hottest up against the wall kisses. Brian and Justin, Doug and Carol, Michael and Sara! I could keep going.
    Half of this list is so full of cheese, they should have mold on the pictures.

13. Krystan says:

Uh, Logan and Veronica Mars. Seriously. I don’t even like them as a couple and that was a hot kiss.

14. Jennifer Marshall says:

So many great choices!
    Jim and Pam
    Ben and Leslie
    Chuck and Blair
    Pacey and Joey
    Fitz and Olivia
    Kate and Sawyer

Three really glaring omissions for me personally are
    Veronica and Logan
    Seth and Summer Spiderman Kiss
    Sam and Diana’s first kiss

Great list though :)

15. No House/Cuddy, no Mulder/Scully, no Josh/Donna?? This list is lame, if it’s best kisses in TV History, there should be more from series that have concluded, not currently airing shows.

16. kjmorse says:

Justin & Brian QAF???

17. guest says:

No Nick and Jess but Mindy and Danny and Ross and Rachel made it? Wow it better be because Nick and Jess had such an amazing first kiss they shouldn’t even be compared to all these couples…

18. Mib says:

Burn Notice’s Mike and Fi S1E7! HOTT!

19. Sydney Nichole says:

Ryder and Marley’s kiss in Unchained Melody for Glee is the best tv kiss BY FAR to me. :)

20. J says:

NICK AND JESS!!!!!!

21. Danielle says:

I think Lois and Clark from Smallville totally belong on this list. It took HOW long for Clark to pull his head out of Lana’s ass after all and see what was right in front of him?

22. Danielle says:

Chuck and Blair <3 (though where is Logan and Veronics's first kiss?)

23. Chris says:

I want something from One Tree Hill on this list, because it was just too good.

Wasn’t there a kiss between Ted and The Mother in the pilot this year? Just because of the gravitas that it has, it should be included.

24. NoChance says:

Seriously, your entire list is within the last few years?

25. Elizabeth says:

You’re joking, right? You just listed 19 of the best onscreen kisses and you seriously were going to leave out Kurt and Blaine from Original Song? I’m assuming that’s a joke and you are going to write an article singling it out as the best onscreen kiss ever. Not only was is groundbreaking, emotional and pretty much the best thing I’ve ever seen, you listed a semi-boring kiss between Brittana instead–WTF? They had some cute moments but NOT from The Break Up, certainly.

Embarrassing. Seriously.

• No need to be disrespectful says:

The only thing here that is embarrassing is your comment. I agree Klaine had an epic kiss, but it doesn’t have to be on literally every list ever. And you don’t have to dis every kiss on this list by acting like a spoiled child. “You’re joking, right?” No, they are obviously not joking. I don’t agree with every kiss on here and I think they left a lot of great kisses off the list, but there is no reason to be rude to them or to all the fans with couples on this list, Personally, I believe the first homosexual kiss on tv was more groundbreaking, but it did not make the list either. Oh well, there is always next year. Hope your day gets better.

• Mommy says:

Sounds like someone needs a nap.

• EJ386 says:

All Glee kisses should be off this list. Not that they weren’t good, but nowhere near best of ALL time

26. Jen says:

Buffy/Angel in I Will Remember You.

27. Katherine215 says:

Peter and Olivia’s first kiss. She traveled through universes to find him!

28. Why not Tony and Ziva….what´s going on ?!?

29. Brandon says:

Missing Shawn and Juliet’s first kiss on Psych!

30. Samantha says:

Brittany and Santana kiss :( Def one of the more well done heartbreaking moments on the show. Dang did you have to put the saddest kiss on the Valentines day kiss list lol. Such a strong and sad moment though.

31. LaLa says:

I’m sorry, but I have to intercede for Idris Elba, here. This list seems to be of chaste, primetime viewing, kisses. And if that’s true, then I have no problems. But before I saw the scene in The Wire where Stringer Bell kisses Donnette (D’Angelo’s girl), I was like “Idris Elba, eh. He’s alright . . .” But AFTER that scene, I was like “Idris Elba! He is soooo sexy.” IJS Fan for life.

• CarrieB says:

If you’ve never seen Idris Elba (Lenny) in ‘The Big C’ find the videos for Season 1 Episodes 5 and 6. There is a scene of characters Lenny and Cathy in one of those episodes that I guarantee you will rewind and rewatch a few times. Idris Elba was only in four episodes (also episodes 8 and 9) of the series. I truly hope you can find it. The man is hot!

• JM says:

Loved him in ‘Luther’. Oh yes, he’s hot!!!!

32. mockingj91 says:

Erm…KLAINE!!!!!

Your oversight is very glaring >_>

33. Dan says:

David and Maddie kiss on Moonlighting was an epic kiss back in the day…

34. Lorinda says:

Kurt & Blaine’s First Kiss on GLEE!!!!!!!

35. Elyse says:

DAMON AND ELENA!!!!!!!!!!

36. db says:

What about Derrick and Meredith in the candle house or any other time he kissed her for that matter.

37. Hannah says:

Very short TV history you have there

38. Corinne says:

I can’t believe that Veronica and Logan aren’t on here, for their first kiss!

39. Donna says:

Why was it that the only man on man kiss wasn’t shown? Girl on girl is ok but not two guys! Care to explain?

40. Real says:

Finn and Rachel’s kiss in the “tongue tied” where he dipped her and his tongue goes in her mouth and there is confetti. Or their “without you” kiss. If you are gonna say Brittana, you should use their “tongue tied” kiss. Also buffy and angel’s kisses were all epic. Can’t choose one.

41. ncmacasl says:

Moonlighting!! Cheers!! Frasier (Niles & Daphne)!!

42. Hmm says:

House and Cuddy’s kiss through the tears, don’t remember the title of the episode. So real and gut-wrenching.

43. Tina B. says:

What the hell?! Hello?! LoVe?! Logan & Veronica?! Nick & Jess?! I demand a re-count!

44. Leesa says:

I see what you did here. Left off the most passionate, hot kiss EVER so you could get me to click. House/Cuddy is easily the best kiss in well, ever.

45. KM says:

Before looking through the pictures I sadly thought “There’s no way they’ll include Joey and Pacey” BUT THEY DID! <3

46. Add me to the people wondering how on earth you could omit Veronica and Logan.

47. AT says:

To each their own! I like some of these, others are a little underwhelming if considering of all time. Personally I would have included Luke and Lorelai for sure on the doorstep. But it’s your list! So no real complaints since these types of lists are subjective. So overall, fun list! :)

48. vioncina says:

Seeing so many people upset about House and Cuddy’s kiss not making this list makes me so happy! I miss them!
    Also, no Emma and Hook? You can like them or not but that kiss was H O T!

49. Demmy says:

Um, I can’t believe Al and Tipper Gore’s convention kiss was left out of this list.

50. Kris says:

The hottest kiss I have seen on tv is from SOA when Tara grabs Jax when they are at Cara Cara and she pulls him into the bathroom and they kiss…Most memorable kiss for me.