Lip-Locked: The 19 Best Kisses in TV History

kisspost325It often strikes without warning. The setup almost too flawless: a longing gaze, a tilt of the head, a casual laugh that slowly trails off, a flicker of the eyes… Sometimes, it’s influenced by things beyond our control: the ticking of a bomb. Close quarters in a limousine. Even plastic wrap.

Just what is “it,” you ask?

PHOTOS | 24 TV Characters Who Are (Probably) About to Die

Why it’s the beloved TV kiss, of course! You know, those things that makes us laugh and cry and gasp and even feel butterflies. This Valentine’s Day, TVLine is celebrating the art of the lip lock by presenting a gallery of the best kisses from primetime’s past and present — including video so you can re-live your favorites from series including BonesNashville, Lost and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Don’t see your favorite kiss represented in the gallery below? While we tried to include the best of the best (our lips are sore just thinking about it), we’re sure we missed a few smooches along the way. So hit the comments and let us know which romantic clinch we missed!

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Photo Gallery

1. Lolitta says:

Where is the BEST kiss: Tony and Ziva????

2. Julie says:

Ross & Rachel is still my favorite, almost 20 years later!

• dude says:

Completely agree. The best TV kiss of all time.

• Stacie says:

Ross and Rachel was one of the first couples I really rooted for when I was growing up, that first kiss was pretty epic. Still is when I catch it on TV. They are each others lobster. Nothing more needs to be said.

• Pjvtraveler says:

Loved their kiss!! My favorite line of all time is “your over me?? When were you under me?”

• Jermey says:

Yes! same here. As soon as I started reading the list I was hoping to find them here. Although I prefer the kiss that came in the lobster episode, After they watched the prom video. I had goosbumps and a huge smile on my face when I watched it for the first time (Can’t believe I still remember it, considering I was 10 years old at the time, lol)

3. Caitlin says:

No Nick and Jess???????

• JLK says:

Agreed. I expected to see that one on the list.

• Anna says:

Agreed….one of the best!

• Shannon says:

I was waiting for that one too! I’ve watched it way too many times over. ;)

• Alia says:

Yep, the kiss from “The Cooler” should most definitely be on this list.

• Olivia says:

That is one hot kiss

• guest says:

Yea seriously I watched pretty much all of those and NO couple on this list has stirred up so many emotions in me the way Nick and Jess did. The way Nick grabbed her and how they were both just “nailing” each other’s mouths was super hot. Even the set up for the kiss was 100x better than most of these. If not better than all of them. I don’t watch the show anymore as passionately as I used to but c’mon. The Mindy and Danny kiss made me cringe how was it better?

• S. says:

It’s not a competition, besides some New Girl fans are acting like they have to rag on Mindy/Danny for some reason. Somebody wrote a piece saying the TMP kiss was hotter and you guys got bent out of shape about it big time. That kiss was objectively hot. If it made you cringe, I don’t see how you could’ve reacted well to Nick/Jess. Undeniable heat in both cases.

• guest says:

See this is where you’re wrong. I love TMP. I loved this season way more than New Girl as well as many other people BUT that does not mean New Girl’s Cooler should be put behind because that episode was epic. In New Girl, Nick kissed Jess after the whole episode was them being forced to kiss and then at the end Nick making a move because he did not want it to be a game. I just thought the whole set up was genius whereas in TMP the kiss did not make as much sense. TMP did a great job with their comedy this season but not really with the whole Mindy/Danny stuff, unlike New Girl’s season 2. And just because New Girl had a worse 3rd season that does not mean that episode should be overlooked, which I’m assuming is the only reason the kiss did not make the list. Do not think that I’m slamming on TMP because trust me if the show gets cancelled, I will be very sad. I just don’t think Mindy and Danny look/work as good together as Nick and Jess do.

• kcc says:

Who are Nick and Jess? what show?

• Elf says:

I nearly broke my DVR watching it.

• Lecholls says:

Seriously. Nick and Jess had the best kiss I have ever seen on TV. And how could they forget Logan and Veronica? This list is a joke.

• Jade says:

It definitely was the best kiss I ever saw on TV. I rewatched “Cooler” probably about 20 times just to see it. This list is such bs…

• Emily says:

Completely agree! This list is just ridiculous without Nick and Jess and Veronica and Logan. This should be redone.

• Nick says:

Agreed too. I have been rewatching VM in preparation for the movie and their first kiss was just incredible.

• Sarah says:

I completely agree about Nick and Jess, would have thought New Girl would be popular enough for people to know that one! Veronica and Logan is one of my favorites if not the favorite. Unfortunately Veronica Mars isn’t as popular as it should be, people are missing out!

• 4theloveoffilm says:

Agreed! Nick & Jess had one of THE best ever.

• Ashley says:

Oh yeah! That was a phenomenal on screen kiss for sure.

• Ashley says:

I lost my damn mind when those two finally kissed. A must for this list!

• Asia says:

I know!!! Nick and Jess’s kiss in “Cooler” was mind blowing. It was definitely one of the best kisses I have ever seen on television.

• Hollie says:

Agreed. Was waiting for it, and no…. not cool list-creator people!

4. Linda says:

Why is that you mention the Mitchell and Cam kiss and yet don’t show the kiss when all the other couples are shown to be kissing in the gallery??

• Mary says:

You must have skipped Castle and Beckett then, because they aren’t kissing either.

• name_required says:

They have their heads together, they could as well be kissing. Mitchell and Cam are shown in a group photo, mid-gag. Which is ironic, given how a whole fan campaign was necessary to have them kiss in the first place…

• Rich Abey says:

Well they did kiss 3 times in last week’s episode..

• shirley says:

Correct!

Castle Fans don’t get to see too many kiss scenes.
        When we do get one the lighting is so poor that we’re not sure what is going on.

But being a Castle Fan, I intend to keep waiting and watching.

5. Oh, you left off the NCIS Tony and Ziva kiss on the tarmac! Absolutely best kiss in my opinion. I may be a little biased though, cause I love Tony and Ziva together. :)

6. Melissa says:

Easy. Logan and Veronica’s first kiss (outside JTT’s hotel room) on Veronica Mars. Shameful omit.

7. Dreamrose says:

Of course, no kiss will ever rival the kiss between Westley and Buttercup. ;-)

8. Amy says:

The West Wing – Josh and Donna.

9. Louise says:

Seriously, no Nick/Jess? Their first kiss was the best…

10. Jen says:

I would have had Barney and Robin’s first kiss and Leonard and Penny kiss from the Season 3 premier.

11. You’ve GOT to be kidding me!!! How in the world did House & Cuddy’s kiss in “Joy” NOT MAKE THIS LIST????

12. Cortney says:

No Nick and Jess? That first kiss was HOT!

13. Steven says:

Argh, how could you not have LoVe’s first kiss???

14. Jen says:

Also Veronica and Logan’s first kiss

15. Huddy says:

What about House and Cuddy????

16. Eric7740 says:

I’m sorry, but Dawson and Joey were the ones that were meant to be together!!! Dawson was her soul-mate!!! I’m still bitter about that ending all these years later!!!

• anna says:

Totally agree, but Im also still bitter that Brenda and Dylan broke up and he went for her best friend. Not sure how anyone rooted for either of these couples?? Brenda/Dylan kiss should of made this list too!

• Jen says:

Dawson was lame, Pacey was not.

• S. says:

Preach. Dawson/Joey 4 evah.

• Allyson says:

Pacey and Joey had a lot more chemistry together. I like the build up to what came out to be one of the best relationships on tv. I mean since Katie and Josh did have a relationship off set, thatprobably helped. Oh, I wish a network would air Dawson Creek reruns again. Pacey/Joey forever! Dawson and Joey were always meant to be friends.

• Francine says:

I agree. I never remotely saw any kind of sexual chemistry between Dawson and Joey. Even before the Pacey storyline came, I always thought they would end up as just friends. It always seemed like harmless school age puppy love to me. But Brenda and Dylan? Yes!

• Anna says:

Oh please. Dawson and Joey were never anything more than best friends that tried to build a romantic relationship on that and failed. I loved them as friends, but they made zero sense as a romantic relationship, especially since they had no chemistry.

17. English says:

You forgot Nick and Jess in Cooler! Round up to the top 25 kisses….

18. Danielle says:

I am sorry but you missed 2 of the best first TV kisses EVER!!! Sydney/ Vaughn on Alias and Logan/Veronica on Veronica Mars

• wlw says:

So agree on Sydney and Vaughn in the superbowl Alias episode!!!

• betsylovestv says:

YES!! Sydney and Vaughn in the kitchen against the oven with Coldplay in the background. Wore out my VCR tape on that one (literally). Agree too on the LoVe kiss — just rewatched recently. SOOO good!

• Kate says:

Vaughn and Sydney! WOW! I totally forgot! I actually have this on DVD. This episode (or scene) may or may not be the most watched out of them all. I love Vaughn…super hawt. I might have to have a mini marathon on Sunday, thanks for the reminder.

19. ShockPop08 says:

What about Scully and Mulder?!

• Katherine215 says:

• Sammie says:

Agreed. That was one of the most perfect moments in television history. I was rooting for those two from day one, and that kiss was something the fans had been waiting for for so, so long. The writers expertly built the tension there, without making one of the best shows on television succumb to the lame will they/won’t they trap so many other shows fall into (like “Bones” has done over the past few seasons).

For my money, though, the best kiss in television history will always be Jim and Pam. And actually, they have so many perfect ones, it’s kinda hard to pick just one. The kiss at their wedding…when the Dr tells them they are going to have a baby, when Jim finally tells Pam he loves her…I can’t think of another television couple that felt so effortless…like they really and truly belonged together. OH! And speaking of “The Office”…what about Dwight and Angela’s kiss after she tells him the baby is his?! Or Michael and Holly when they try and sneak away from the camera crew? Or when he proposes to her? “The Office”, as cliche as it sounds, has helped me *want* to fall in love again. :)

20. Where are Tony and Ziva? Not one of the best? Your Gary Glasberg himself talk about best history ever. And now not on your list? Or it’s not allowed to show?

21. uh huh says:

I know TVLIne loves Nashville, but no way does anything on that show belong on a “best all time” list for anything. Come on.

• Kim says:

I’m still trying to figure out how Nasville made this list, but not Logan and Veronica, Sydney and Vaughn, Buffy and Spike, Nick and Jess, even Damon and Elana ( who I personally don’t care for, but I know they were a big deal) but somehow Deacon and Rayna made the list, you’ve got to be kidding me.

22. Ginger says:

You _just_ did a whole story on Logan and Veronica’s first EPIC kiss, but you leave it out of this?? For shame.

23. Lara says:

NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS
    TIVA TIVA TIVA TIVA TIVA TIVA TIVA TIVA
    PPF PPF PPF PPF PPF PPF PPF PPF PPF

24. You say “Greys Anatomy”, but there is no kiss from the show on the list… And they had some good kisses… Community’s Annie and Jeff season 1 finale kiss was also sweet though it didn’t lead to the great love story we all wanted… How about Ted and Robin’s (HIMYM)season 1 finale kiss after he made it rain… Jimmy and Sabrina’s first kiss was charming (Raising Hope)…

• Miss Rozie says:

@Lubomir Raykov – totally agree – not one kiss from Grey’s Anatomy? When I think of Owen & Cristina, all I think of are their hot & very steamy sex scenes/kisses – how hot? So hot my tv was smokin’ …. :-)

25. Matt says:

How the @#*! is Sam and Diane’s first kiss on Cheers (in Sam’s office) not on this list? No way you’re going to tell me that a Gossip Girl kiss was more memborable than the two marquee characters on one of TV’s most successful sitcoms.

• Amy says:

YES! Sam and Diane’s first kiss should absolutely be on this list. But then again this site has to cater to the young millennials, who have no appreciation for classic television. Cheers reruns are still better than almost anything on TV today.

• Alexander says:

Exactly what I was wondering. Star Trek and Cheers were the two kisses I instantly thought of – especially Cheers, which set the pattern for sitcom will-they/won’t-they tension.

• TV-Ugly says:

Technically Maddie and David set the pattern for will they/won’t then on Moonlighting – but Sam/Diane definitely played it to perfection.

• 4theloveoffilm says:

Oooooh! Yes. Sam and Diane.

26. Rachel says:

The Castle kiss chosen was pretty good, but the undercover season 3 kiss will always be the best!

• aguachica35 says:

I was thinking the same thing. I’m not even a regular Castle watcher, but that undercover kiss and his reaction to it was the best ever on tv.

• S. says:

Yeah the gasp and mouth touching he did after she turned around simulaneously made your heart leap and made you laugh because Nathan just nailed that moment. So in character and awesome.

• cherry says:

The two best kisses ever for Castle is really in Season 3 and Season 4.24 “Always”, can’t stop every now and then watch 4.24, love the way how he pushes her to the door, I think it was long over due, but nothing happens before its time. The kisses we get nowadays are just “press on kisses”, I wish we can get more sloppy kisses…..but then again thats just me……lol

• JC says:

Yes, that was definitely the best Castle kiss.

• Rich Abey says:

Yeah the S3 kiss was pretty special being that it was the very first time Caskett kiss (despite being undercover & Kate having a bf). Still it’s the “Always” kiss that’s my No.1 TV kiss!

• Barbara says:

I agree

27. Amanda says:

I can’t believe you didn’t have the Kurt/Blaine kiss from Original Song in this list. That kiss was amazing. But then again you guys have never really liked Klaine, have you?

28. Girl in MD says:

Seth and Summer on the OC the Spider-Man kissing scene EPIC!
    Ross and Rachel is still memorable for me too I remember yelling at the tv finally!!

29. Marshmallow says:

Seriously after the recap on Veronica Mars yesterday highlighting the epicness of Veronica and Logan’s first kiss, I figured the entire point of this article was just to put that one on the list!

30. JoyT says:

Am I missing something? Where the heck are Nick and Jess?????

31. SarcasticLauren says:

I say Jim/Pam was the best. The Casino night, Pam calling her mom to discuss Jim’s tearful admission of love right before Jim walks in and stamps one on her. LOVE

32. Michelle says:

No Emma and Hook? WTF? Or Chloe and Oliver from Smallville? Most of the list is too recent to be considered the best EVER. Sigh.

33. CH says:

Agreed the Ross & Rachel was one of the best ever.

Am I doing something wrong, or is Grey’s Anatomy not in the list, despite the summary?

34. Lana says:

No Jax and Tara???? C’mon.

35. TullaT says:

Tony and Ziva on NCIS. It took them EIGHT YEARS, but it was spectacular.

36. DGSAFDMD says:

Missing some Clark and Lois but I’m happy with my Ned/Chuck ♥

37. Shira says:

Omg, Rayna and Deacon. A million times yes. It’s just so. I can’t.

38. Katherine215 says:

Zoe and Wade in the season 1 finale where he just walks in wearing that suit and walks her up against the wall and kisses the daylights out of her. Whew. I’m going to need a minute just remembering that scene. /fans self

39. Meaghan says:

My favourite has to be Logan and Veronica from Veronica Mars. When they are at the Camelot Motel arguing and she kisses him and then he grabs her and they have their first screen melting kiss.

40. Aidan says:

I’m sorry Ryan and Marrisa season 1 New Years kiss? they have been ROBBED

41. Bren says:

What about Sidney and Vaughn on Alias??? THAT was hot!!!

42. RB says:

You can never please a crowd. Lol.
    BUT where the heck is Mike/Rachel from Suits? Or Damon/Elena?
    Hehe. Peace.

43. Emma says:

ER’s Doug and Carol? JThe West Wing’s Josh & Donna? And more recently, Will & Mac from the Newroom?

44. Tran says:

RAYNA AND DEACON!!!!!

45. Sunny Dakes says:

Sydney and Vaughn in Alias and Veronica and Logan in Veronica Mars. HUGE omissions.

46. Joanna says:

Luke & Lorelai! Would you just stand still?? (first and best)
    Monica & Chandler in The One After Vegas.

47. An addendum to my original reply. House fans think you missed the boat by not including the kiss between House and Cuddy in either “Joy” or “Help Me”, especially the latter. That kiss in “Help Me” was one of the most amazing endings of a TV episode in recent memory. Even now it still gives people goosebumps watching it!!!

48. Catrina says:

The Castle/Beckett kiss is just a rip off of House/Cuddy in the House S6 finale. Either Huddy in Help Me or Joy should definitely be on this list.

Also, Buffy/Spike at the end of the musical episode. A scandal that it’s been missed out.

• S. says:

Are you high? No it wasn’t. Years of built up tension culminating in a passionate session of making out and sexytime wasn’t invented by Huddy.

• Rich Abey says:

Well it seems Catrina that you have not watched any TV before 2004 (when House started airing) to say the Castle/Beckett kiss was a rip off. According to your logic, every single kiss in this gallery is a rip off from some other show.

49. madbengalsfan85 says:

I’ve never seen anyone pick that B&B kiss as one of the best…usually they gravitate towards the mistletoe, tequila, or 8×01 reunion kiss as the best. I do like your reasoning though

50. Alex says:

Buffy and Spike’s literally show-stopping, curtain-closing smooch that caused shipper fist pumps around the world!