Olympics Watch: What Was Your Favorite Moment From Sochi 2014, Day 5?

Winter Olympics Sochi GamesRussia’s Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov wore shades of gold for their Olympic free skate Wednesday — a choice that coordinated nicely with with some accessories they picked up at the end of the evening.

RELATED | Olympics Watch, Day 4: The Halfpipe Gets the Best of Shaun White

The pair, who were favored to take home the gold medal after dominating Tuesday’s short program, didn’t disappoint. As a medley from Jesus Christ Superstar played, the athletes glided through a near-perfect routine. After the triumphant final notes sounded, Volosozhar covered her face and began to cry as Trankov sank to his knees, overcome as well. The crowd went crazy.

Volosozhar and Trankov’s teammates Ksenia Stolbova and Fedor Klimov nabbed silver with their Addams Family number seen earlier in the week during the team skate (yes, including the dum-dum-dum-dum-SNAP-SNAP part), ending with a spectacular throw triple salchow.

RELATED | Winter Olympics 2014: The Best and Worst Moments From the Sochi Opening Ceremonies

And though Germany’s Robin Szolkowy fell just moments into his skate with partner Aliona Savchenko — damn those side-by-side triple toe loops! — and she wound up with her tush on the ice at the end of the number, their score still ensured that they’d take home the bronze. This was an unwelcome development for China’s Pang Qing and Tong Jian, who turned in a gorgeous performance set to music from Les Miserables yet wound up placing fourth overall.

What was your highlight from Wednesday’s Olympic coverage? Were you surprised by the tie for women’s alpine skiing gold? Did you cheer when Kaitlyn Farrington got gold in the women’s halfpipe? Did you cringe at Arielle Gold’s horrific accident on that same course? Or did something else catch your interest? Sound off in the comments!

1. Canadian speed skater Gilmore Junio gave his spot to Denny Morrison in the 1000m, and Morrison won silver. That selfless act is what the spirit of the Olympics is about!

2. andy j says:

Torah! Torah! Torah! And that Kaitlyn Farrington came so out of nowhere NBC didn’t even have a profile prepared of her (unless I missed it while watching “American Idol”.

3. Julie says:

Volosozhar and Trankov were awesome both tonight and in the short program. While my favorite pair will always be Gordeeva and Grinkov, that was a different era and V&T were awesome tonight. Kind of sad for Pang and tong – they skated beautifully tonight and maybe I missed it but I didn’t see their short program televised. I understand how much competition NBC is trying to squeeze in during prime time but I’m a little disappointed in the pairs we didn’t see on tv tonight: the Canadians, the 2nd American team…

• andy j says:

But why did Trankov’s dress look like it was designed by Wilma Flintstone?

• Katherine215 says:

I think their short program was televised, I remember hearing them say once before that the couple was to be married after putting it off until after the Olympics. I agree, I was disappointed for Pang and Tong, I thought their program was really beautiful and wanted them to get bronze. G&G were some of my favorites as well.

4. Xandra says:

Happy that Robin and Aliona pushed it to the limit right up till the end, but I thought Pang and Tong should’ve received the bronze. Must be frustrating for R&A to win 4 World Championships and never quite peak for the Olympics.

5. t87 says:

Again another Dutch Gold AND Bronze medle, Men Speed skating !!! So happy !!!

6. rigged says:

Spectacular throw triple axel? She landed on her tush??? He fell at the beginning. How did they beat China, who skated clean???? The two Russian pairs and the Chinese pair were all I saw so I can’t judge on the rest, but really????

This is why I no longer watch figure skating…

• Katherine215 says:

Pang and Tong had lower scores in the short program, and their long program wasn’t enough to overcome the Germans. I think the Germans had a technically more difficult long program, so even if it wasn’t clean, it was worth more points and they still got credit for some of it.

• TinLV says:

The German pair had some issues.. his fall & her landing on the throw triple axel, but the way its scored, they still got credit for the rotations, then they deducted a full point for each fall. This pair started with a higher technical level of difficulty than the Chinese pair in the first place, so they still scored high enough to get the bronze medal. You have to watch a lot of figure skating to get familiar with the scoring system. Its much more complicated than the old 6.0 system.

7. Kaczmar says:

Does TV Line think that the Sochi Olympics are only about figure-skating??
    How about a shout out to my nation’s pride Justyna Kowalczyk who won gold in cross-country skiing … WITH A BROKEN FOOT!!! Some props are due I’d say ;)