Comic Legend Sid Caesar Dead at 91

Sid Caesar Dead Sid Caesar, a comic actor who came to prominence with the 1950s variety program Your Show of Shows, has passed away.

Former CNN host Larry King tweeted the news Wednesday, calling the 91-year-old Caesar “a dear friend” and a “comic genius.”

Over his nearly 60-year career, Caesar was a familiar face on television and Broadway and in movies. In addition to performing comedy on Your Show of Shows and the subsequent Caesar’s Hour, the actor also made appearances on The Love BoatLove, American Style; That Girl and The Carol Burnett Show.

He also played Coach Calhoun in the big-screen adaptation of Grease and its sequel, Grease 2.

In 2006, Billy Crystal presented Caesar with the Pioneer Award at the 4th Annual TV Land Awards.

1. GuessWhat says:

RIP to another legend

• Stormy says:

Ditto. This winter has seen the passing of so many legends. It looks like an entire generation is passing, and the next one must step up as the “Elders” now.

2. Lynn says:

that’s two this week, Shirley Temple and now Sid Cesar! usually comes in threes! How sad, we don’t have many truly great ones left!

3. keith says:

Without Your Show of Shows, there would be no SNL, no Mel Brooks, no Carol Burnett…. RIP, a true comedy great

4. Paul Strach says:

After the slaughter is over, we’ll come back here and ring that victory bell. Like we always wanted to do. Best quote from Grease. RIP Sid. See you on the other side.

5. TV Gord says:

I wish I had been alive when Your Show of Shows was on the air. I have a feeling what we can see on YouTube is only a tip of the funny! I miss anyone who has made me laugh, and he’s definitely on that list!

• Sara says:

His routines with Imogene Coca [the aunt on the roof of the car in Vacation] were hysterical. He, like Danny Kaye, had a gift for fake foreign languages. And his routines with Carl Reiner and Howard Morris are classics.

6. yankeesrj12 says:

No disrespect, but I have honestly never heard of this guy.

• Znachki says:

In all sincerity, that is too bad for you. Go out and look at You Tube. A true legend of comedy.

• Brooke says:

Are you 12?

• RJ says:

No, I’m much older than that actually. Just because I haven’t heard of him does not mean I’m 12. Time for you to grow up and stop assuming.

• Sara says:

If you’ve ever seen Grease, he’s Coach Calhoun.

• Joanna Fox says:

Sara, if that’s the best you can do, mentioning “Grease,” you are very young, and have missed the greatness of Sid Caesar.

• Sara says:

No, Joanna, I’m old enough to have watched Your Show of Shows live and I remember it with great affection. The reference to Grease was to give RJ something more accessible to a younger person. Sorry you couldn’t make the leap.

• Alex says:

You must be a troll. Or you’ve been living in a cave almost all your life. Also, your comment about not knowing who Sid Caesar is is really out of place here. You obviously didn’t bother to think before you posted. Or you did think, and you’re not just a plain old troll but a really nasty one.

• albertj15 says:

You really have to remember he was big in the fiftys an sixtys when T V was just really getting started. He was in his thirties when he was really big. See if you can find some of his shows an you will see how good he was.

7. Robert says:

I remember watching Your Show of Shows on my grandparents’ black and white TV. Always enjoyable. Sid also was in the movie “It’s A Mad,Mad,Mad World”.

8. karen says:

Wow! Quietly, the Amazing Ones are slipping away!! God Bless and Rest in Peace!

9. Wendy says:

Mr. Caesar’s heyday was easily decades before I was born, but thankfully, YouTube has a bit of that early work. I remember him from “Grease”, surely not the benchmark of his career, but surely something my generation will likely remember his comic talent for. And there’s nothing wrong with that! May be RIP!

10. Alan Dvorkis says:

I felt privileged to have seen Sid Caesar and Imogene Coca do a show at the Sands hotel in Las vegas Nv. Although past their prime, i was blown away by their talent. Amazing, both, truly amazing. Sad sad day.

11. Albert Shalhoub says:

He made me laugh, thats all I can say, RIP

12. And Shirley Temple. Who will be the 3rd?

13. JM says:

I can’t believe he only won a TVLand award. Didn’t he win any Emmys? Or at least a lifetime achievement Emmy? If he didn’t then that is such a crime.

RIP comic genius.

14. Susan says:

Love him in “It’s A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World!”

15. sanchopanza says:

Vaya con Dios, Sid. Thank you for everything. It was great.

16. Alex says:

He was an exceptional talent.