Glee Sneak Peek: Santana Makes Her Broadway Bid, Artie and Tina Face Off in 'Frenemies'

Apparently, Santana Lopez didn’t get the memo about not raining on Rachel Berry’s parade.

Indeed, in the following preview photos from “Frenemies,” Glee‘s spring premiere (and return to Tuesday nights), Naya Rivera’s alter-ego makes a big splash at a Funny Girl photo shoot — a major step on the road to becoming Rachel’s understudy.

RELATED | Glee Exclusive First Look: Rachel Channels Her Inner Barbra in Funny Girl Photo Shoot

We also get to see Rachel looking a little flummoxed during the audition process for said backup, as well as Artie and Tina dueting as they battle it out for valedictorian honors at McKinley High.

Click through the gallery below for the full preview. “Frenemies” airs Feb. 25 at 8/7c on Fox.

1. Lori says:

Look, I love Santana. I think Naya is very talented…. but there is no way in HELL she would EVER be cast as an understudy for Fanny. Ugh. This show.

• dude says:

I can’t get on board with that casting decision but I can get on board with Naya getting more screentime and her rivalry with Rachel heating up so I am reluctantly on board with this.

• Amy says:

I love the idea of a Rachel/Santana story but this makes no sense. Rachel Berry as Fanny Brice makes sense, but Santana doesn’t. I love Santana but she would never be cast as the understudy for Fanny Brice.

• Amanda says:

No broadway show would have auditions for an understudy. That would be determined with initial casting. That’s what is bothering me most.

2. Lisa says:

“Hey, my friend from high school in Ohio wants to understudy me on Broadway, is that cool?” “Yeah sure, bring her in.”

Because that’s totally how it works.

• dude says:

Well seeing as Rachel is not happy about this casting decision, I’d say Santana was cast without her which is actually more unrealistic because who would think she could play Fanny?

3. Pipa says:

Glee writers running out of storyline

• Sil says:

That’s the real answer. They don’t know what to do with Santana. Demi’s time on the show is coming to an end. Santana has done her commercial. She feels dejected, so she wants to rain on Rachel’s parade? After she has come to Rachel’s defense on more than one occasion does not make sense. The writing’s getting rather lame. But, IMO, seems much better than puppets and delirium. Or pregnancy scare and man who’re boyfriends. Those were what I thought were some of the low points of writing season 4.

They need to keep Santana and Rachel in as many of the same scenes as possible. I just wonder. How many other storylines there will be for NY. Sam and his modeling. Kurt and his whatever he will do, since Glee has yet to give him a goal, outside of Klaine. Blaine and his whatever. Those will be the 3 main story arcs. We have to wait and see.

4. Kaycee says:

The writers are awful. Don’t they know how broadway works? And since when is Santana interested in Broadway? acting, very recently, singing, in season 3 she mentioned it but she’s always made fun of Kurt and his love of broadway. It’s just inconsistent.

• dude says:

Glee is only consistent in its inconsistencies.

• Sean C. says:

If Santana is looking to act, there’s not a ton else happening in New York on a regular basis apart from Broadway.

• Montavilla says:

Apart from the hundreds of Off-Broadway, Off-Off Broadway, and hole-in-the-wall spaces where actors perform.

• Sean C. says:

That’s all just theatre. If you want to work in theatre, might as well aim for the big-time. And Santana’s first acting experience was “West Side Story”, so she’s hardly a stranger to it.

• C says:

Speaking on West Side Story, Artie- he directed it. He’s coming to NY now, right? Wouldn’t be surprised if all of them just make up their own Broadway show, and are their own cast&crew. This show would, lmao.

5. Kate says:

I stopped caring about continuity and consistency on Glee a couple of seasons ago, so I’m happy that talented people like Lea and Naya get to share an interesting storyline. I’m gonna enjoy it even tho it doesn’t make much sense.
    I’m actually really curious to hear Naya’s version of DROMP. Lea’s cover was flawless, but I’m sure Naya could do something interesting with it too.

6. Gleemark says:

If this episode is about Tina and Arie fighting and dueting to win something, what the hell is Blaine singing with them? Aghhh they put Blaine in everthing even if it has no sense or is not necessary, this is Tina and Artie episode!! Hate Blee!!!

7. C says:

It’s stupid that Santana could be Fanny, sure, but what I really don’t get is why they start fighting about it? Santana would just be her UNDERSTUDY- just the person who would go in her place if Rachel couldn’t be there. I would rather a good friend take over then a stranger. Why can’t Rachel ever be happy for anyone elses success? She isn’t getting replaced, they just need someone should anything happen to her. Ugghhh.

• dan says:

Santana is going to pull a “Showgirls” and push Rachel down some stairs.

• Maureen says:

Santana would want something to happen to Rachel so she can go on – should Rachel be happy about Santana wishing her ill and wanting to stab her in the back?

• Tamara says:

Because Santana has literally never expressed a desire to be on Broadway and Broadway, particularly Funny Girl, is Rachel’s thing. If Rachel suddenly tried to be the new snarky cheerleader or something I’m sure Santana would’ve had a problem with it.

I’m not opposed to the storyline though, it’s nowhere as ridiculous as 90 % of Glee’s storylines and it does give more screen time to two of the best on the show, so why not- as long as Rachel doesn’t get the short end of the stick on this one, where they act like Santana’s the better broadway singer of the two, which would reaaaally annoy me lol.

8. Maureen says:

Totally unrealistic and makes me hate Santana!

9. jazzcolfer says:

Pezberry won at the PCA, so of course the show must stir contrived and unnecessary drama to ruin it. Now, we might have to swallow a less enjoyable friendship coming from the portion of the show that lost everything at the PCA. Everything that gets attention and prizes (GA, critics) is often sidelined or screwed over. But, lesser characters, whose hype aren’t justified by any prizes, remains overexposed.
    Either one will move out and the New York 3 or it will show for the gazillion times that Rachel is flawed but almighty. The New York 3 was starting to stop having Kurt being the sexless best gay BFF and Santana the lesser girl. *Sigh* I knew focusing on New York wasn’t about letting the New York 3 shine equally, or even shine at all once blam will get there, so I’m not surprised or disappointed by this turn of event, just amazed at how predictable and repetitive glee has become.

10. Glitter says:

Santana becoming Rachel’s understudy totally unrealistic. Rachel getting the lead in a broadway play right out of HS – totally unrealistic. It’s Glee, come on people, just roll with it! You know it won’t last more that 1-2 episodes.