BBC America and Dracula Creator Developing Drama About Robin Hood's Double Life

BBC America LogoQuestion: Who robs from the rich, gives it to the poor and yet… works for the crown as a law enforcer?

Answer: The protagonist of Nottingham, a potential BBC America series from Dracula creator Cole Haddon in which classic characters Robin Hood and the Sheriff of Nottingham — typically envisioned as arch rivals — will be one and the same person.

Our sister site Deadline first broke the news about Nottingham, noting that it will center “on the Sheriff of Nottingham, whose wife is killed by King John’s men. When nobody is brought to justice, the Sheriff launches a one-man war against the Crown.”

The potential drama will follow the Sheriff as he develops his hooded alter-ego and uses intel from his day job to raid the King’s allies of their loot, redistribute it to the “starving peasantry” and launch “a rebellion that will change England forever.”

Digging this concept for a new series? Any ideas about who you’d cast in the lead role? Sound off in the comments!

1. Kevin in CT says:

How about Charlie Hunnam from SOA?

2. Ray says:

That… actually sounds really cool.

3. This sounds… Arrow-like, and pretty damn cool.

4. Stormy says:

Great potential, but casting is key. They need someone who can be menacing like Alan Rickman, but likable as Jude Law, not too young, but not approaching middle age.
    Rob James-Collier, Matthew MacFayden, Rupert Penry Jones, or the always popular Bennybatch.

• S. says:

Nooo. Don’t take Thomas from Downton. No deal. Benedict Cumberbatch is pretty busy and I needs me some Sherlock so if it would interfere with that, also no deal. What about Aidan Turner aka the cute dwarf in the Hobbit? He’s actually 5’11″ in case anybody was concerned.

• Stormy says:

My thinking on RJC is that this series in only in the development stage and DA is only a short shooting schedule and may even be winding down by the time this new project gets going. I love RJC and would like the rest of the world that only knows him as Thomas Barrow to see his other facets. Hugh Bonneville shot Monuments Men during DA, so I hoped there would be time for both.

5. Sara says:

Hmmm, that sounds like a new and refreshing take on the story. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for this.

6. Roger says:

Can Katie McGrath get cast in this please?!

7. Roger says:

Whoever played Gwaine in Merlin, I think would be a great choice.

8. Simon Jester says:

Thanks goodness… because it’s been about 10 minutes since the BBC’s last Robin Hood series.

• Dani says:

Yeah but BBC’s last Robin Hood series was awful. I’m not sure about the concept here but I like the Charlie Hunnam casting suggestion.

• S. says:

The big problem was when you had actors leaving the show that kinda needed to stay for it to work. I got what they tried to do to carry it on, but people weren’t taking to it. Lara Pulver and Joanne Froggatt went on to bigger and better things but that’s where I first saw each of them. One minor beef with the BBC version was that I felt like some of the things Marian wore felt like I could’ve gotten them off the rack at a store. They styled her a little modern sometimes. I figured it was a cost situation, but maybe they were trying to do that. The show had some nice moments though.

9. One passing by says:

Wasn’t this going to be Ridley Scott’s Robin Hood film ages ago?

10. meatwad says:

I’d watch

11. Aleana says:

Tom Welling Wes Rasmey Jason Behr

• Abby says:

Being that it’s on BBC America, they’ll definitely be casting Brits for the roles.

• S. says:

Not necessarily. Tatiana Maslany is Canadian and she’s the lead of Orphan Black. She doesn’t play only British clones though so the accent thing was actually about having the ability to do different ones. That was a special situation. The person just has to be believable as Robin Hood when they’re playing the part. Probably easier to cast a Brit, but Irish actors could be up for it too. A lot them go to drama school and learn accents. Canadians and Americans might be up against it, but you never know. I’m sure some of them will try.

12. Randy says:

After Hyde, Sherlock, Merlin, 3 Musketeers … we will have Robin Hood? Sometimes the BBC may lack boldness even the reinterpretations are not bad.

13. Stacy says:

I’m always a fan of seeing how fables morph, and this is definitely a new take. Done properly I’d most definitely watch.

14. anniem says:

Another vote for Aidan Turner from me. He was great in the original Being Human. :-)