Pilot News: Psych's Maggie Lawson to Star in CBS' Romantic Comedy Save the Date

lawson-save-the-dateBells are ringing for Maggie Lawson, who just signed on to the CBS wedding-comedy pilot Save the Date.

The Psych star will lead the Eye Network’s potential series about a woman who drunkenly books a wedding venue and then must scramble to find a fiancé, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s Starring in Them

Lawson’s character, Kate, is 35 and newly single in the multi-camera project, which will be shot in a style similar to How I Met Your Mother (short scenes, no live audience). Jeff Filgo (The New Adventures of Old Christine) will executive-produce with ABC Studios and CBS TV Studios.

In addition to now recurring on USA Network’s soon-to-conclude Psych, Lawson starred in ABC’s now-cancelled Back in the Game.

1. Lyss says:

I am so incredibly excited for this and getting to see Maggie on tv again. I am so happy for her and I hope it gets picked up, she deserves it!

2. Joel says:

She needs to pick better post Psych projects

3. spindae2 says:

Wasn’t she in a comedy pre-Psych? Where she was raised by 2 gay guys and married an Italian dude? I didn’t sense for her to be funny, she is to stiff for comedy.

• Zach says:

She was married to an Irish dude. I disagree about her being stiff. I mean, Psych may be an hour long but it is DEFINITELY a comedy.

• Alan says:

some of the early psych episodes where gus was still the straight man of the show had her being hilarious but then jules became the straight woman to facilitate gus become a more comedic character, maybe you just dont remember it because it was as far back as season 2.

4. westwingwolf says:

I like Maggie Lawson, so I would watch for her, but my whole thought process on the premise is: Can’t she just cancel it? Why would someone have to get married just for that?

• Alan says:

non-refundable deposit? yeah i know its a little stupid but if the pilot can justify it well then it wont be a problem to me.

• westwingwolf says:

Likely, but that would have to be a really high non-refundable deposit. That or while she was drunk she also sent out a massive amount of e-vites so that she doesn’t want to embarrass herself by admitting there is no wedding.

• dude says:

I don’t care how high the deposit is, there isn’t an amount that would force me to spend the rest of my life with someone just cause (and if she gets a divorce, that’ll likely end up costing more than the deposit). Also, if the deposit is obscene (like upwards of 10 thousand), who would honestly allow a drunk person to fork over that kind of money?How drunk does a person have to be to want to fork over that kind of money? This premise is a joke.

5. TVLine_FanGirl says:

Is it too much to hope James Roday can swing by to take her on a super goofy date?

• Badpenny says:

I wonder if she and James are still dating? I have not seen a pic or story about them doing something together in nearly a year.

• Alan says:

why wouldnt they still be together? they could just as easily have decided to keep their private life private.

• Lyss says:

They were seen together recently in Pittsburgh for Royal Rumble so yeah they are still together. With no Psych there is no reason for pictures since paparazzi don’t care about them since they aren’t famous enough and they aren’t gonna take selfies during every day life.

6. K. says:

Any chance the James Roday can be her fiance…I’d watch it then because I love both of them together!

7. Charlene says:

I LOVE MAGGIE LAWSON OMG IM FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW OF HAPPINESS!!!! IM SO HAPPY!!! THE ONLY THING THAT COULD MAKE THIS DAY HAPPIER FOR ME IS IF PSYCH CAME ON FOR ANOTHER 17 SEASONS

8. This will go the same way as everything else she has headlined, in the trash! Yet again a ridiculous premise just like Back In The Game. She doesn’t have neither the talent or the star power to headline anything, she should know that by now from well, almost everything she’s starred in except for Psych in which was a supporting actress to he WAY more talented real life boyfriend James Roday. Why torture yourself Maggie with another show that sounds absolutely ridiculous and is doomed to fail.

9. dude says:

Wait a minute, so the only reason her characters wants to get married is because she drunkenly booked a wedding venue? She couldn’t just cancel and you know, not make a giant joke out of marriage? She’s going to commit herself to spending the rest of her life (or more likely, four months) with someone cause of a drunken mistake?

10. Erin says:

That is the worst comedy premise I’ve ever heard. It’ll probably run for ten seasons.

11. Also she did NOT recur on Psych! She was a cast REGULAR for the entire run of 8 seasons.

12. e says:

i’ve loved her ever since model behavior…

13. Joey says:

Hope this show does better for Maggie then her last show Back In The Game.

14. mandy says:

Yeah, the premise sounds bad; but I love Maggie Lawson. Personally, I had a problem with Back in the Game because of James Caan. If she can get the right supporting cast, and some decent writing, it could work. Good luck, Maggie, and to all the Psych cast in future projects!

15. Eurydice says:

Maggie isn’t 35 yet, is she? I thought actors tend to play younger than they are, not older. In any case, I can’t imagine this is actually the pitch for the show. Newly single, drunk and stupid…

• Alan says:

she is 33 as far as i know. and actors playing younger than their age is mostly just the case for teenagers and early 20s, once you get past that time an actor there is an age range that you can play to which can be as much as 10 years either side of your real age.

16. SJ says:

This sounds like the premise for a 90-minute movie. How are they gonna make a series out of it?

17. ZhaneEndrick says:

Look, I am all for Maggie Lawson having more screen time, but doesn’t this concept sound a little restrained?
    I mean…why doesn’t she just cancel the venue? How far in advance did she book it…seriously, how long can they really drag out that concept? I hate these limited scope ideas, they are almost always doomed to failure.
    And that’s a bummer, because I WANT Maggie Lawson to headline her own show.

18. kimberly says:

why can’t these people come up with more interesting storylines, premises, ect?why is this premise even being seriously considered? are the writers famous for something?