Pilot Scoop: Greta Gerwig Set to Star in HIMYM Spin-Off How I Met Your Dad

2013 Vanity Fair Oscar Party Hosted By Graydon Carter - ArrivalsShe’s the Mother!

Actress-writer-indie darling Greta Gerwig has landed the starring role in How I Met Your Dad, CBS’ in-the-works spin-off of How I Met Your Mother, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | HIMYM Spin-Off Scoop: Meet the New Ted, Robin Marshall, Lily and Barney

Gerwig will play the soulmate-searching Sally, a female Peter Pan who has never grown up and has no idea of where she’s going in life. She has just figured out that she has nothing in common with her husband of less than a year. A break-up is inevitable, but Sally will find a solid circle of support in her friends and family, who are often too willing to give “good” advice that can backfire badly. Meanwhile, Sally must filter out the input and decide what’s best for her.

In addition to starring in HIMYD, Gerwig — whose film credits include No Strings Attached, Arthur, Greenberg and, most recently, Frances Ha (for which she earned a Golden Globe nod) — will also serve as a producer and, if the project gets a green light, an occasional writer.

Up All Night‘s Emily Spivey penned the pilot with HIMYM creators Craig Thomas and Carter Bays. The show is set to shoot in New York if it gets ordered to series.

1. Jason says:

Um, her most noteworthy role is probably in “Frances Ha” earlier this year for which she got a Golden Globe nom. Seriously, do some homework.

2. Philip says:

ok, now i’m interested

3. Jared says:

There are just some things that aren’t meant to have a spin-off. HIMYM is definitely one of them.

• AGB says:

Yeah. I like her, she’s very talented BUT this show will never live up to HIMYM.

• jen says:

I’m undecided if I will watch the ‘spin-off’ or not but I will say that the thing I hate most about this show is the title. Considering its not technically a spin-off the title seems redundant and will force a direct comparison between the two series

• Angie says:

I totally agree with you Jared, I really DON’T think HIMYM should have a spin-off. It will really be weird with different characters playing all the characters we have become so used to!!

4. Tahonia says:

So, wait. This isn’t the mother from HIMYM telling her side of the story?

• april-ann says:

No. It never was going to be the mother from HIMYM telling her side of the story. From what I understand, it was always going to be all completely different characters.

• abz says:

Seriously! That’s how they should’ve decided to do it. I would definitely tune in to see that,

• april-ann says:

Really abz? You would? Why? We already know the outcome. She meets Ted and marries him. No matter the puzzle pieces we’d be given, we know how her story ends. Not only that, but we already know so much of her story from all the previous seasons (yes, we do) it would be tedious repetition for us or, at best, a really bad deja-vu because we’ve been there done that. (“tedious”, lol).

• abz says:

I never said it had to go as long as HIMYM did. I just think it’d be nice to get her perspective rather than watching a bunch of random people.
          “We already know the outcome” –> Well, we already know the outcome of this show. She will meet the Dad and she will take an extremely long time to tell us how she met him. At least if they stuck with the HIMYM mother there’d be a little investment (well, I’d be more invested in watching her story. I don’t know about everyone else)

• SweetHoney says:

We already got the mother’s side of the story, in the episode “How Your Mother Met Me”

• August says:

“Watching a bunch of random people” is exactly what you did with HIMYM. They were all random until you got to know them.

5. Zach says:

They should solve the Pineapple Incident in this show.

• april-ann says:

That would be nice but I think they have said that since the narrator told the audience that they never solved the pineapple incident, it won’t be solved for us either. Apparently that’s their story and they’re stickin’ to it.

• D'Arcy says:

Actually, the creators had an Ask Me Anything recently on Reddit and they stated they think they may have found a creative way around that…

But we’ll see.

• Mikael says:

I always thought that the Mother had something to do with the pineapple, so we’d see what it meant, but Ted would never know.

6. april-ann says:

Sorry to be so picky, but I had always thought that “spin-off” meant a show which is spun off from another show where a character from that other show moves on to the new show, and the new show revolves around that character from the old show. Maybe this is a “reboot”? Or perhaps it’s just a new show, no spin-off, no reboot. So maybe it should just be referred to as a “new tv show”. Whatever it is, I think I’ve had enough of the whole concept for a while. It was fun while it lasted the first time though (even if it did last a little too long!).

• Hannah says:

You are correct, this is technically a reboot trying to bank on the “How I Met Your” brand. Now a spin-off and a missed opportunity would be to focus on Penny and Luke Mosby in the future dealing with friendship and relationships like their parents did, with returning guest stars from the mother-ship show wearing tacky wigs and make up. They would have a group of friends including Marvin Ericsen who’s pining over Penny.

• tp says:

That would indeed be a good spin-off.

• april-ann says:

A good idea in theory and I am certain they considered it. Apparently NO one involved with the original is about to let it go without a fight. Two problems with that though. 1. We’re not really supposed to care about Penny and Luke (and I don’t, but I acknowledge that others might). It was determined that audiences wouldn’t care about Johnny and Baby’s kids either so that plan was scrapped too. But the “revisiting” of the concept was a bomb. 2. Such a show would have to take place in 2030 or later. We laugh at the Jetson’s but that’s okay because it was animated.

• Hannah says:

1- Penny and Luke are played by actor who are famous in their own way (I don’t know about the characters popularity, but the potential guest starring relatives could be);
          2- i was actually thinking about the Jetsons! I think the writers would be able to use the future setting element in funny ways, and that would blend well with the HIMYM signature gags (think Barney’s fantastic/unbelievable history recollections/flashbacks…).

3-Forgive my ignorance but I don’t get the Johnny and Baby’s reference. Dirty Dancing perhaps?

• Alan says:

star trek the next generation is a spin off of the original show and its basically the same thing thats happening here, a spin off doesnt necessarily have to have characters from the original show it just needs to fit in with the style and tone of the original.

• That’s a decent comparison, but I think you’re overestimating the HIMYM universe by comparing it to the juggernaut Star Trek universe, which has had three other shows and 12 films. Characters from the original series appeared often in both TV and movies. This is just the producers trying to cash in on the name and premise, completely unaware that the show peaked years ago and a large portion of their fans (if not most of them) are tired of and fed up with what the show has been: not earning the fake laugh track. I’d be surprised if anyone from the original show appeared on the new show. Even if it was just Wayne Brady or the cab driver.

• Craig Riley says:

It does… this is more of a franchise, not a spin-off.

7. Scott Brecht says:

I liked her in Greenberg. Hopefully she has the range for a comedic role, because her personality in that would not work for a 30 minute comedy.

8. abz says:

Don’t know who she is, but I still think this entire show is a mistake. Maybe if it were happening a couple years after HIMYM ended, it’d be okay, but it’s just stupid now. I’m definitely not gonna sit through X amount of seasons till she meets the dad after spending nine on HIMYM. Plus, why on earth would the use “Dad”:instead of “Father”?

• Tookie Clothespin says:

I think that they already have announced that the viewer will know who the father is pretty early on. So, this seems like it’s going to be more of a traditional sitcom relationship where the will they/won’t they gets drug out for the entire length of the show’s run.

9. Et al says:

Not interested in How I Met Joey at Schrute Farms: Miami

• Teag says:

Angel, Private Practice, Colbert Report, Cleveland Show, Frasier.

• Brendan says:

And the one most relevant to the current scenario, Parks and Recreation (didn’t end up technically being a spinoff, but the The Office – Parks and Rec relationship is very similar to what’s going on with these two shows)

• Alan says:

hell we could even include brooklyn nine nine since thats made in the same style by a lot of the same people who worked on both.

10. Teag says:

Joe Swanburg to recur then?

11. S. says:

I’m all for the concept of following a woman’s perspective here but the idea that she’d be a year into marriage and realize she had nothing in common with her husband is weird. Isn’t that something you’re supposed to work out before you got married? Why would I like this person? Doesn’t everybody make fun of celebrities for being this cavalier? Maybe she jumped into marriage after a whirlwind courtship or was in love with love not him or felt pressure to marry the guy & was scared to back out–something but c’mon, it feels like we’re gonna start off disliking her. I want to like this show. I like Carter and Bays. I like Emily Spivey. Greta Gerwig’s really talented. I hope this works, I’m just concerned about how it’s starting off.

12. Eric says:

My interest level just skyrocketed.

13. Randy says:

Haaaaaave you met the – Wait for 9 seasons – father of your kids?

14. Bry says:

If she has no interest in her husband of 1 year why would I watch a show where she most likely will do the same thing with the next soulmate she finds. Sad that divorce is going to most likely be a plot line. Unless she has an affair. This show doesn’t add up.

15. erin says:

I wasn’t gonna watch! I had no interest and thought it was a dumb stupid dumb idea, then they go and cast Greta and now I have to tune in because I love her so much.

16. DavidSask says:

I will keep saying this, no one is asking for this show, it needs to fail and instead have new shows take precedence.

17. Alan says:

well thats damn fine casting, im going to have to watch the first few episodes now because of this, also really good that they have signed her on as a producer and writer already, thats making the best use of the talent of your cast.

18. This is That 80s Show all over again.

19. opaque says:

I for one am looking forward to this. Yeah, it certainly seems like the creators of the original trying to scrape out some more money, but I loved HIMYM, and want to see more like it. I can’t see this being any better than HIMYM, but surely it will retain a similar style, so that’s why I’ll check it out. There is the possibility that not many people will be bothered with this and it will eventually flop (just like the Joey spin-off of Friends), but if it’s any good, I’ll be supporting it.

20. tara17 says:

I’ll check it out for sure, hope it gets picked up.

21. Biranit Goren says:

I’m sorry, but how exactly is this a spin-off? There’s nothing in common with HIMYM in this. It’s a new sitcom from the creators of HIMYM, but that’s like saying “Lost” is a spin-off of “Alias” just because they were both created by JJ Abrams…

• Alan says:

its a spin off because it covers similar stories as the original like star trek the next generation is a spin off of the original, or how all the law and order spin offs work.

22. DiverKlein says:

Whats the point, we already know who the dad is?? Give it three eps, tops. Then its gone

23. Marty says:

She is too talented for this tripe.

24. Jack says:

Pretty Girl, though…

25. Pat says:

It would have been nice if they came up with a better title for the show. How I Met Your Dad does sound like a spin-off of HIMYM. Since it has nothing to do with the show, they were not very creative about giving it a better name. It seems like they are recycling and just replacing only Mother for Dad. Were they all asleep at the meeting when it came time to give this show a title or was it sheer laziness on their parts?

• Alan says:

thats the point, its supposed to remind you of how i met your mother because its a spin off. thats like saying the law and order spin offs shouldnt have law and order in the name.

26. Mel B says:

I was so against this spin off. Now that Greta G. is involved I am going to have to check it out. She should add something special to it.

27. Lori says:

I’ll tune in for a few episodes see how I like it. Probably will go the way of the Joey.

28. MLO says:

No thank you.

29. CJ says:

I was on the fence about the spin-off, but for Gerta Gerwig, I will certainly tune in. She is wonderful.

30. cjeffery7 says:

great casting choice! but im afraid this show faces an uphill battle conceptually that has almost nothing to do with who they cast.

31. Owning one will acquire a new dimension to your current practice.
    I wanted to play all the parts that I’ve always played [as the romantic lead], but they’re
    not as believable anymore. Cage: That was very exciting,
    and I really did enjoy that.