Pilot Scoop: Greta Gerwig Set to Star in HIMYM Spin-Off How I Met Your Dad

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

2013 Vanity Fair Oscar Party Hosted By Graydon Carter - ArrivalsShe’s the Mother!

Actress-writer-indie darling Greta Gerwig has landed the starring role in How I Met Your Dad, CBS’ in-the-works spin-off of How I Met Your Mother, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | HIMYM Spin-Off Scoop: Meet the New Ted, Robin Marshall, Lily and Barney

Gerwig will play the soulmate-searching Sally, a female Peter Pan who has never grown up and has no idea of where she’s going in life. She has just figured out that she has nothing in common with her husband of less than a year. A break-up is inevitable, but Sally will find a solid circle of support in her friends and family, who are often too willing to give “good” advice that can backfire badly. Meanwhile, Sally must filter out the input and decide what’s best for her.

In addition to starring in HIMYD, Gerwig — whose film credits include No Strings Attached, Arthur, Greenberg and, most recently, Frances Ha (for which she earned a Golden Globe nod) — will also serve as a producer and, if the project gets a green light, an occasional writer.

Up All Night‘s Emily Spivey penned the pilot with HIMYM creators Craig Thomas and Carter Bays. The show is set to shoot in New York if it gets ordered to series.

Comments (66)

• Um, her most noteworthy role is probably in “Frances Ha” earlier this year for which she got a Golden Globe nom. Seriously, do some homework.

Comment by Jason – February 11, 2014 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I didn’t recognize her from No Strings Attached and no one saw Arthur…

Comment by AGB – February 11, 2014 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They act like movies don’t exist over here at Tow the Line.

Comment by Jase – February 12, 2014 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ok, now i’m interested

Comment by Philip – February 11, 2014 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There are just some things that aren’t meant to have a spin-off. HIMYM is definitely one of them.

Comment by Jared – February 11, 2014 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah. I like her, she’s very talented BUT this show will never live up to HIMYM.

Comment by AGB – February 11, 2014 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ve watched every episode of HIMYM but I’m not watching the spin-off. I just don’t see the point.

Comment by Josh – February 11, 2014 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It seems like this show will be a “spin-off” in name only.
          Was this character ever in a HIMYM episode.
          They are banking heavily it appears on the name only.

Comment by J.Norman – February 12, 2014 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • OMG! You can see into the future! Quick! What lottery numbers are coming up?!

Comment by dee123 – February 11, 2014 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m undecided if I will watch the ‘spin-off’ or not but I will say that the thing I hate most about this show is the title. Considering its not technically a spin-off the title seems redundant and will force a direct comparison between the two series

Comment by jen – February 11, 2014 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with you Jared, I really DON’T think HIMYM should have a spin-off. It will really be weird with different characters playing all the characters we have become so used to!!

Comment by Angie – February 12, 2014 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, wait. This isn’t the mother from HIMYM telling her side of the story?

Comment by Tahonia – February 11, 2014 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. It never was going to be the mother from HIMYM telling her side of the story. From what I understand, it was always going to be all completely different characters.

Comment by april-ann – February 11, 2014 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously! That’s how they should’ve decided to do it. I would definitely tune in to see that,

Comment by abz – February 11, 2014 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really abz? You would? Why? We already know the outcome. She meets Ted and marries him. No matter the puzzle pieces we’d be given, we know how her story ends. Not only that, but we already know so much of her story from all the previous seasons (yes, we do) it would be tedious repetition for us or, at best, a really bad deja-vu because we’ve been there done that. (“tedious”, lol).

Comment by april-ann – February 11, 2014 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I never said it had to go as long as HIMYM did. I just think it’d be nice to get her perspective rather than watching a bunch of random people.
          “We already know the outcome” –> Well, we already know the outcome of this show. She will meet the Dad and she will take an extremely long time to tell us how she met him. At least if they stuck with the HIMYM mother there’d be a little investment (well, I’d be more invested in watching her story. I don’t know about everyone else)

Comment by abz – February 11, 2014 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • We already got the mother’s side of the story, in the episode “How Your Mother Met Me”

Comment by SweetHoney – February 11, 2014 09:26 PM PDT
          • “Watching a bunch of random people” is exactly what you did with HIMYM. They were all random until you got to know them.

Comment by August – February 12, 2014 04:03 AM PDT
  • They should solve the Pineapple Incident in this show.

Comment by Zach – February 11, 2014 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be nice but I think they have said that since the narrator told the audience that they never solved the pineapple incident, it won’t be solved for us either. Apparently that’s their story and they’re stickin’ to it.

Comment by april-ann – February 11, 2014 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, the creators had an Ask Me Anything recently on Reddit and they stated they think they may have found a creative way around that…

But we’ll see.

Comment by D'Arcy – February 12, 2014 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I always thought that the Mother had something to do with the pineapple, so we’d see what it meant, but Ted would never know.

Comment by Mikael – February 13, 2014 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry to be so picky, but I had always thought that “spin-off” meant a show which is spun off from another show where a character from that other show moves on to the new show, and the new show revolves around that character from the old show. Maybe this is a “reboot”? Or perhaps it’s just a new show, no spin-off, no reboot. So maybe it should just be referred to as a “new tv show”. Whatever it is, I think I’ve had enough of the whole concept for a while. It was fun while it lasted the first time though (even if it did last a little too long!).

Comment by april-ann – February 11, 2014 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are correct, this is technically a reboot trying to bank on the “How I Met Your” brand. Now a spin-off and a missed opportunity would be to focus on Penny and Luke Mosby in the future dealing with friendship and relationships like their parents did, with returning guest stars from the mother-ship show wearing tacky wigs and make up. They would have a group of friends including Marvin Ericsen who’s pining over Penny.

Comment by Hannah – February 11, 2014 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That would indeed be a good spin-off.

Comment by tp – February 11, 2014 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • A good idea in theory and I am certain they considered it. Apparently NO one involved with the original is about to let it go without a fight. Two problems with that though. 1. We’re not really supposed to care about Penny and Luke (and I don’t, but I acknowledge that others might). It was determined that audiences wouldn’t care about Johnny and Baby’s kids either so that plan was scrapped too. But the “revisiting” of the concept was a bomb. 2. Such a show would have to take place in 2030 or later. We laugh at the Jetson’s but that’s okay because it was animated.

Comment by april-ann – February 11, 2014 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • 1- Penny and Luke are played by actor who are famous in their own way (I don’t know about the characters popularity, but the potential guest starring relatives could be);
          2- i was actually thinking about the Jetsons! I think the writers would be able to use the future setting element in funny ways, and that would blend well with the HIMYM signature gags (think Barney’s fantastic/unbelievable history recollections/flashbacks…).

3-Forgive my ignorance but I don’t get the Johnny and Baby’s reference. Dirty Dancing perhaps?

Comment by Hannah – February 12, 2014 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • star trek the next generation is a spin off of the original show and its basically the same thing thats happening here, a spin off doesnt necessarily have to have characters from the original show it just needs to fit in with the style and tone of the original.

Comment by Alan – February 12, 2014 02:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s a decent comparison, but I think you’re overestimating the HIMYM universe by comparing it to the juggernaut Star Trek universe, which has had three other shows and 12 films. Characters from the original series appeared often in both TV and movies. This is just the producers trying to cash in on the name and premise, completely unaware that the show peaked years ago and a large portion of their fans (if not most of them) are tired of and fed up with what the show has been: not earning the fake laugh track. I’d be surprised if anyone from the original show appeared on the new show. Even if it was just Wayne Brady or the cab driver.

Comment by TigerNightmare – February 12, 2014 02:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It does… this is more of a franchise, not a spin-off.

Comment by Craig Riley – February 12, 2014 04:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked her in Greenberg. Hopefully she has the range for a comedic role, because her personality in that would not work for a 30 minute comedy.

Comment by Scott Brecht – February 11, 2014 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t know who she is, but I still think this entire show is a mistake. Maybe if it were happening a couple years after HIMYM ended, it’d be okay, but it’s just stupid now. I’m definitely not gonna sit through X amount of seasons till she meets the dad after spending nine on HIMYM. Plus, why on earth would the use “Dad”:instead of “Father”?

Comment by abz – February 11, 2014 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that they already have announced that the viewer will know who the father is pretty early on. So, this seems like it’s going to be more of a traditional sitcom relationship where the will they/won’t they gets drug out for the entire length of the show’s run.

Comment by Tookie Clothespin – February 13, 2014 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not interested in How I Met Joey at Schrute Farms: Miami

Comment by Et al – February 11, 2014 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Angel, Private Practice, Colbert Report, Cleveland Show, Frasier.

Comment by Teag – February 11, 2014 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And the one most relevant to the current scenario, Parks and Recreation (didn’t end up technically being a spinoff, but the The Office – Parks and Rec relationship is very similar to what’s going on with these two shows)

Comment by Brendan – February 11, 2014 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • hell we could even include brooklyn nine nine since thats made in the same style by a lot of the same people who worked on both.

Comment by Alan – February 12, 2014 02:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Joe Swanburg to recur then?

Comment by Teag – February 11, 2014 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m all for the concept of following a woman’s perspective here but the idea that she’d be a year into marriage and realize she had nothing in common with her husband is weird. Isn’t that something you’re supposed to work out before you got married? Why would I like this person? Doesn’t everybody make fun of celebrities for being this cavalier? Maybe she jumped into marriage after a whirlwind courtship or was in love with love not him or felt pressure to marry the guy & was scared to back out–something but c’mon, it feels like we’re gonna start off disliking her. I want to like this show. I like Carter and Bays. I like Emily Spivey. Greta Gerwig’s really talented. I hope this works, I’m just concerned about how it’s starting off.

Comment by S. – February 11, 2014 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So nice of you to say you like Carter Bays twice. Craig Thomas is going to feel jealous.

Comment by Zach – February 12, 2014 04:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This sounds like the description of Maggie Lawson’s new pilot Save The Date: getting married for the stupidest reasons must be a new trend on television.

Comment by Hannah – February 12, 2014 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My interest level just skyrocketed.

Comment by Eric – February 11, 2014 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haaaaaave you met the – Wait for 9 seasons – father of your kids?

Comment by Randy – February 11, 2014 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If she has no interest in her husband of 1 year why would I watch a show where she most likely will do the same thing with the next soulmate she finds. Sad that divorce is going to most likely be a plot line. Unless she has an affair. This show doesn’t add up.

Comment by Bry – February 11, 2014 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t gonna watch! I had no interest and thought it was a dumb stupid dumb idea, then they go and cast Greta and now I have to tune in because I love her so much.

Comment by erin – February 11, 2014 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will keep saying this, no one is asking for this show, it needs to fail and instead have new shows take precedence.

Comment by DavidSask – February 11, 2014 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah. New shows like “Partners” or “How to be a Gentleman” or “We are Men” and the list goes on…

Comment by JJ – February 12, 2014 05:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well thats damn fine casting, im going to have to watch the first few episodes now because of this, also really good that they have signed her on as a producer and writer already, thats making the best use of the talent of your cast.

Comment by Alan – February 12, 2014 02:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is That 80s Show all over again.

Comment by TigerNightmare – February 12, 2014 02:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I for one am looking forward to this. Yeah, it certainly seems like the creators of the original trying to scrape out some more money, but I loved HIMYM, and want to see more like it. I can’t see this being any better than HIMYM, but surely it will retain a similar style, so that’s why I’ll check it out. There is the possibility that not many people will be bothered with this and it will eventually flop (just like the Joey spin-off of Friends), but if it’s any good, I’ll be supporting it.

Comment by opaque – February 12, 2014 04:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll check it out for sure, hope it gets picked up.

Comment by tara17 – February 12, 2014 04:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry, but how exactly is this a spin-off? There’s nothing in common with HIMYM in this. It’s a new sitcom from the creators of HIMYM, but that’s like saying “Lost” is a spin-off of “Alias” just because they were both created by JJ Abrams…

Comment by Biranit Goren – February 12, 2014 05:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • its a spin off because it covers similar stories as the original like star trek the next generation is a spin off of the original, or how all the law and order spin offs work.

Comment by Alan – February 12, 2014 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whats the point, we already know who the dad is?? Give it three eps, tops. Then its gone

Comment by DiverKlein – February 12, 2014 05:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • we dont know who the dad is at all.

Comment by Alan – February 12, 2014 05:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She is too talented for this tripe.

Comment by Marty – February 12, 2014 05:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pretty Girl, though…

Comment by Jack – February 12, 2014 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It would have been nice if they came up with a better title for the show. How I Met Your Dad does sound like a spin-off of HIMYM. Since it has nothing to do with the show, they were not very creative about giving it a better name. It seems like they are recycling and just replacing only Mother for Dad. Were they all asleep at the meeting when it came time to give this show a title or was it sheer laziness on their parts?

Comment by Pat – February 12, 2014 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • thats the point, its supposed to remind you of how i met your mother because its a spin off. thats like saying the law and order spin offs shouldnt have law and order in the name.

Comment by Alan – February 12, 2014 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is a half hour comedy, so comparing it to hour long dramas makes no sense.

Comment by Pat – February 12, 2014 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so against this spin off. Now that Greta G. is involved I am going to have to check it out. She should add something special to it.

Comment by Mel B – February 12, 2014 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll tune in for a few episodes see how I like it. Probably will go the way of the Joey.

Comment by Lori – February 12, 2014 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No thank you.

Comment by MLO – February 12, 2014 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was on the fence about the spin-off, but for Gerta Gerwig, I will certainly tune in. She is wonderful.

Comment by CJ – February 12, 2014 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • great casting choice! but im afraid this show faces an uphill battle conceptually that has almost nothing to do with who they cast.

Comment by cjeffery7 – February 12, 2014 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Owning one will acquire a new dimension to your current practice.
    I wanted to play all the parts that I’ve always played [as the romantic lead], but they’re
    not as believable anymore. Cage: That was very exciting,
    and I really did enjoy that.

Comment by hay day cheats diamanten kaufen – April 16, 2014 03:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post