Ailing Bob Costas Gets Olympics Reprieve

Bob Costats Eye InfectionBob Costas is getting the night off.

The Olympics staple, who powered through the first days of NBC’s primetime coverage of the Sochi games while battling a very visible eye infection, is bowing out of Tuesday’s broadcast. He’ll be replaced by Today‘s Matt Lauer.

RELATED | Winter Olympics 2014: What Was Your Favorite Moment From Day 3?

“Reluctantly, I was trying to throw a complete game here, but I think we’re going to have to go to the bullpen, and I don’t know if you’re aware of this or not, but you’re Mariano Rivera, at least tonight,” Costas told Lauer by phone this morning on Today. “Let’s hope it’s only tonight. I’m walking around, I might as well be playing ‘Marco Polo.’ I have no idea where I am.”

The news comes after it became clear to viewers Monday night (this one included) that the infection had spread to Costas’ right eye.

1. Carla says:

Love the photo you chose to go with it. LOL

2. Chris says:

GREAT!!!! they replace one tool with another. At least Matt is taller so they won’t have to keep shooting the camera angle from down low.

• Nancy says:

That was unkind and completely unnecessary!

• Will says:

Matt Lauer is THE WORST. His rambling with Meredith V through the opening ceremonies was obnoxious. You could barely hear what they were saying, and when you were able to it was babble. #NBCFail

• MC says:

I might have to skip the coverage tonight. Lauer is not my cup of tea. NBC figures they are paying Lauer a fortune, so they might as well get some ROI here. I can’t blame them for that, but I’m not sure it was necessary to overpay him in the first place.

• David4 says:

Exactly. Bob Costa interviewing the president was painful to watch.

3. leigh says:

I hope he feels better but it looks like both his eyes are infected.

4. Rae says:

I actually thought Saturday night it looked like it was spreading to the other eye. Pink eye is not fun for adults. Hope they can get him the right medicine to clear this up!

5. Amanda says:

A patch would have been less distracting than looking at the eye all along.

6. Linda says:

My God, the title of this should have left off the ‘Ailing’. I thought the guy was dying and it’s only an eye infection!!

7. While all indications point to the fact that the real estate market is
    recovering at a more rapid pace these days, the reality is that there are still folks such as
    yourself who are struggling financially through no fault of their own.
    While the protections available differ based on state and federal law and
    are too complicated to cover in great detail outside of a consultation,
    the most well known protection is that afforded the so called “head of household”.
    some bankruptcy lawyers are very sincere with their work and also
    gets agree at intervals your needed budget, they totally discus the entire case and
    budget of the debtor and if it’s possible for them they begin operating on the bankruptcy case with full devotion.

8. Andrew Hass says:

I don’t blame Bob Costas for taking one night off and maybe the rest will help him some.

9. AC says:

They should have had Mary Carillo replace him.

10. The Beach says:

I would give the chair to Chris Collinsworth. I like his kinda snarky style mixed with interest and compassion.

• Whatever says:

Chris Collinsworth or Mary Carillo would of been a great subs for Bob.
      I am not a big fan of Matt Lauer he’s annoying
      Bob Costas was looking pretty rough on Monday night.

• c-mo says:

Cris Collinsworth would have been a fantastic replacement but he’s much better when he has a partner with whom he can banter/snark.

11. Will says:

Isn’t Ann Curry the International Correspondent/Anchor for NBC News… why isn’t she replacing him OR why wasn’t she at least working the opening ceremonies instead of Meredith Vieira???

12. Pat says:

I feel sorry, for Bob that this had to happen to him. What a trooper trying to stay on the air when his right eye was infected and I am sure he is on medication for it. Now it is possibly spreading to his other eye? I hope both eyes get better real soon and hopefully resting may help.

• Pat says:

My mistake, I said it was his right eye and I meant to say left.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I think it’s strange he’s getting worse instead of better. If he’s on antibiotics, he should be improving. I hope he doesn’t experience any complications from this. That could be bad news.

13. Drake says:

why do u have al michaels and dan patrick over there if you’re not gonna really use them? i know they’re on during other parts of coverage but it seems to make more sense to move one of them to primetime and find someone to replace them like rebecca lowe or collingsworth or carillo.

14. Sara says:

I am glad that he is finally sitting it out. Granted, we don’t know what his level of infection (or really what it is, though it really looks like pink eye), there is the very distinct possibility that he was contagious, especially since it spread to his other eye. It was borderline dangerous for him to be near the athletes I mean they quarantine athletes who have colds, but he has a pretty gross looking eye infection and the athletes are just chilling next to him for interviews?

15. RS says:

Put this P.O.S. out to pasture. He’s typical of the piss poor coverage the network provides. Nothing can compare to Wide World of Sports (ABC) of yester-year.

16. Britta Unfiltered says:

Poor Bob. Do you suppose he caught this from washing his face with the yellow hotel danger water? What have you done to our Bob Costas, Sochi??

17. Anne says:

I like Bob Costas well enough, but I hope he stays away until the infection is gone. It was kind of gross watching him and so distracting.