Ailing Bob Costas Gets Olympics Reprieve

Get More: Uncategorized

Bob Costats Eye InfectionBob Costas is getting the night off.

The Olympics staple, who powered through the first days of NBC’s primetime coverage of the Sochi games while battling a very visible eye infection, is bowing out of Tuesday’s broadcast. He’ll be replaced by Today‘s Matt Lauer.

RELATED | Winter Olympics 2014: What Was Your Favorite Moment From Day 3?

“Reluctantly, I was trying to throw a complete game here, but I think we’re going to have to go to the bullpen, and I don’t know if you’re aware of this or not, but you’re Mariano Rivera, at least tonight,” Costas told Lauer by phone this morning on Today. “Let’s hope it’s only tonight. I’m walking around, I might as well be playing ‘Marco Polo.’ I have no idea where I am.”

The news comes after it became clear to viewers Monday night (this one included) that the infection had spread to Costas’ right eye.

Comments (36)

• Love the photo you chose to go with it. LOL

Comment by Carla – February 11, 2014 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I will not watch without Bob! but the again I wasn’t watching with him either. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment by Elliot – February 11, 2014 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • any body but matt

Comment by frank – February 11, 2014 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GREAT!!!! they replace one tool with another. At least Matt is taller so they won’t have to keep shooting the camera angle from down low.

Comment by Chris – February 11, 2014 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was unkind and completely unnecessary!

Comment by Nancy – February 11, 2014 06:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Some people are just hateful and seem to get some weird sense of enjoyment out of making comments like this.

Comment by wrstlgirl – February 11, 2014 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was thinking the same thing. Some people feel that they can be as mean as they want given the anonymity of the internet.

Comment by Paul – February 11, 2014 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Matt Lauer is THE WORST. His rambling with Meredith V through the opening ceremonies was obnoxious. You could barely hear what they were saying, and when you were able to it was babble. #NBCFail

Comment by Will – February 11, 2014 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I might have to skip the coverage tonight. Lauer is not my cup of tea. NBC figures they are paying Lauer a fortune, so they might as well get some ROI here. I can’t blame them for that, but I’m not sure it was necessary to overpay him in the first place.

Comment by MC – February 11, 2014 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. Bob Costa interviewing the president was painful to watch.

Comment by David4 – February 11, 2014 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope he feels better but it looks like both his eyes are infected.

Comment by leigh – February 11, 2014 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually thought Saturday night it looked like it was spreading to the other eye. Pink eye is not fun for adults. Hope they can get him the right medicine to clear this up!

Comment by Rae – February 11, 2014 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A patch would have been less distracting than looking at the eye all along.

Comment by Amanda – February 11, 2014 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed, and isn’t pinkeye contagious? I would think he shouldn’t have anyone else on set with him!!

Comment by Saabgirlatx – February 11, 2014 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, it’s extremely contagious.

Comment by The Beach – February 11, 2014 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It would be awful if he passed it on to any of the athletes he’s interviewed.

Comment by The Beach – February 11, 2014 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I know how the guy feels, iv got pink eye sooooBAD you just want to claw your eyes out, I pray your eyes get better, God bless you!!!

Comment by Angela Moore – February 21, 2014 12:17 PM PDT
  • My God, the title of this should have left off the ‘Ailing’. I thought the guy was dying and it’s only an eye infection!!

Comment by Linda – February 11, 2014 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While all indications point to the fact that the real estate market is
    recovering at a more rapid pace these days, the reality is that there are still folks such as
    yourself who are struggling financially through no fault of their own.
    While the protections available differ based on state and federal law and
    are too complicated to cover in great detail outside of a consultation,
    the most well known protection is that afforded the so called “head of household”.
    some bankruptcy lawyers are very sincere with their work and also
    gets agree at intervals your needed budget, they totally discus the entire case and
    budget of the debtor and if it’s possible for them they begin operating on the bankruptcy case with full devotion.

Comment by bankruptcy attorney san diego ca – February 11, 2014 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is so confusing, I can’t even figure out how to get scammed by this?

Comment by Elliot – February 11, 2014 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t blame Bob Costas for taking one night off and maybe the rest will help him some.

Comment by Andrew Hass – February 11, 2014 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should have had Mary Carillo replace him.

Comment by AC – February 11, 2014 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would give the chair to Chris Collinsworth. I like his kinda snarky style mixed with interest and compassion.

Comment by The Beach – February 11, 2014 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chris Collinsworth or Mary Carillo would of been a great subs for Bob.
      I am not a big fan of Matt Lauer he’s annoying
      Bob Costas was looking pretty rough on Monday night.

Comment by Whatever – February 11, 2014 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cris Collinsworth would have been a fantastic replacement but he’s much better when he has a partner with whom he can banter/snark.

Comment by c-mo – February 11, 2014 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t Ann Curry the International Correspondent/Anchor for NBC News… why isn’t she replacing him OR why wasn’t she at least working the opening ceremonies instead of Meredith Vieira???

Comment by Will – February 11, 2014 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel sorry, for Bob that this had to happen to him. What a trooper trying to stay on the air when his right eye was infected and I am sure he is on medication for it. Now it is possibly spreading to his other eye? I hope both eyes get better real soon and hopefully resting may help.

Comment by Pat – February 11, 2014 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My mistake, I said it was his right eye and I meant to say left.

Comment by Pat – February 11, 2014 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it’s strange he’s getting worse instead of better. If he’s on antibiotics, he should be improving. I hope he doesn’t experience any complications from this. That could be bad news.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – February 11, 2014 11:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why do u have al michaels and dan patrick over there if you’re not gonna really use them? i know they’re on during other parts of coverage but it seems to make more sense to move one of them to primetime and find someone to replace them like rebecca lowe or collingsworth or carillo.

Comment by Drake – February 11, 2014 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am glad that he is finally sitting it out. Granted, we don’t know what his level of infection (or really what it is, though it really looks like pink eye), there is the very distinct possibility that he was contagious, especially since it spread to his other eye. It was borderline dangerous for him to be near the athletes I mean they quarantine athletes who have colds, but he has a pretty gross looking eye infection and the athletes are just chilling next to him for interviews?

Comment by Sara – February 11, 2014 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Put this P.O.S. out to pasture. He’s typical of the piss poor coverage the network provides. Nothing can compare to Wide World of Sports (ABC) of yester-year.

Comment by RS – February 11, 2014 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ABC did set the standard, but NBC can’t just imitate their style. They have to do it their own way, sink or swim.

Comment by MC – February 11, 2014 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Poor Bob. Do you suppose he caught this from washing his face with the yellow hotel danger water? What have you done to our Bob Costas, Sochi??

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – February 11, 2014 11:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Bob Costas well enough, but I hope he stays away until the infection is gone. It was kind of gross watching him and so distracting.

Comment by Anne – February 12, 2014 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post