The Following Recap: Off the Rails

The Following Season 2 RecapYou’d think a room full of serial killers wary of each others’ motives would make for some compelling television. Yet when two Following factions meet in this week’s episode, it is to surprisingly “meh” effect.

Meanwhile, Ryan and Max’s family bonding means they let a killer slip through their hands together. (Awwww.) Let’s review what happened in “Family Affair.”

RELATED | The Following‘s Kevin Bacon: ‘I Like All of Ryan’s F#@%-Ups’ – But Season 2 Gives Him More Wins

REST STOP | Joe and Mandy stalk a suburban mom and her two kids, then break into the house and grab the baby boy. The mom (played by Popular‘s Leslie Bibb) realizes something’s up and grabs a knife – but drops it when she realizes that the bearded stranger in her backyard is actually her former guru of gore, alive and looking like he could sorely use a few minutes in a truck-stop rent-a-shower.

As Mandy plays with the woman’s young daughter, Jana (the follower) asks Joe what went wrong; apparently, Roderick had told her that Joe would come to her much sooner. “I took a detour,” Carroll says. She makes him a fake passport and gives him money and food; before he leaves, he asks her about Joey – in Witness Protection with his grandmother – and wonders whether she can help him figure out if it’s safe to call the number he found in the classifieds two episodes ago.

During a quiet moment alone, Mandy asks Joe if they’ll kill Jana – and bonus points to the kid for kinda stunning a mass murderer with her bloodlust. He explains that death is a gift and that you just can’t give it away indiscriminately, and no boys will respect you if you… oh wait, I’m confusing this speech with the one from eighth grade health class. My bad.

Before they take off, Joe makes a call, which brings us to…

MURDER MANOR, PART DEUX | … the palatial estate where Lily has gathered her international, probably all-psycho brood of orphans and castoffs. Here’s what we learn: Lily was taken in by a very rich man after her father killed her mother, that man’s housekeeper died giving birth to twins (Mark and Luke), and Lily has traveled the world, taking in “discards” to add to her “family.” We also pick up on some family dynamics: It looks like Lily dotes on Mark and is tougher on Luke, but there’s also something very wrong about the way Luke runs his hands over his mom’s arms and the way the pair giggle at how “sexy” her arm scar will make her.

All of it makes Emma wigged out and wary, but Lily works overtime to make her feel comfortable – and it seems to pay off when Joe calls and wants to know whether it’s safe for him to show up there. Valorie Curry sheds all of Emma’s tough-girl act the moment she hears her mentor’s voice, and she quietly cries as she says, “It’s safe. Come back to me, Joe.”

The pair rendezvous with Emma and Mark in a cemetery. (Side note: Enough with the gothic shtick, Carrollers! Find a new literary jam. May I suggest Jane Austen? Not as much killing, but far more petticoats!) Emma alternately sobs and beats at Joe with her little fists and hugs him and yells at him, but it must all end OK, because she brings him back to the house, where Lily is waiting in a slinky black number.

RELATED | The Following Cast Talks Season 2: Joe Purefoy Teases ‘Tantric Sex’ for Joe?!

REALLY, RYAN? | Lily tasks nouveau follower Gisele to finish off David, Lily’s business partner who was stabbed at that benefit at the library. (I thought he was her driver. Oops.) David knows who Gisele is but refuses to take the pills she offers, so she garrotes him to death and downloads some information off his laptop. (With all of the random French she tosses around – knowing full well that other people in the room don’t understand her – Gisele is 100 percent your annoying college friend who couldn’t let study abroad go. And I know, because I was that friend.)

Despite a warning from Mike, Max helps Ryan track Gisele to the crime scene, but she gets away. And Mendez really doesn’t like Hardy disobeying her orders, so she arrests him and brings him down to the FBI for questioning. But nothing comes of it, so he’s out in time to meet Max at Grand Central Terminal, where Gisele is about to hop on a train.

Max manages to get into very public fisticuffs with Gisele – then, in typical Hardy fashion, lose her – before Ryan even gets there. So then the pair run through the station, searching for the killer just by looking around. As someone who on multiple occasions has spent way too much trying to locate her parents who always insist on meeting “by the big clock” even though the rest of the free world meets up there, I feel qualified to say that the Hardys are screwed.

Somehow, though, they find her on a platform just before a train pulls in. (Side note: There are a bunch of things about this whole sequence that regular MetroNorth commuters will agree don’t ring true, but as long as the show isn’t trying to pull some Step Up 3D nonsense – aka having us believe that you can hop a train to California from Grand Central – I’m OK with it.)

Ryan and Gisele beat the snot out of each other, but when he pulls his gun, she fakes being innocent and a few other travelers jump on him while she sneaks into the train, which takes off. Bummer, Ryan. May I suggest you go downstairs and drown your sorrows in a Shake Shack shake? Oh wait, Max calls with something even better: In the chaos, she slipped onto the train, too.

And back at the FBI, Mendez calls her ex – a former FBI agent — and apologizes for not being able to take the kids that weekend. And that ex? Jana.

Now it’s your turn. Did you, too, feel like not much happened in this episode? Is Mandy a psycho in training, or just a lost soul?  Think Lily’s other “kids” are killers, too? Sound off in the comments!

1. GuessWhat says:

I watched the Olympics instead.
    Finally gave up.

• Wayne Prince says:

Show continues to be stupid,,,,can the cops always be this dumb? Kevin Bacon acts like he’s on ambien for he is sleepwalking thru the role. Just killing people doesn’t make for a good series.

2. spignejr says:

Kimmy, find a new show to review if you hate it this much. Aus must have other assignments to give.

Glad to see the fisticuffs this episode. I really wish Ryan would have just shot the bitch. I have hated her from her first scene.

Love that there was a ton of Max this episode. I really hope she sticks around a while. And did I since some chemistry between Max and Mike? Hoping Mike is able to do more than just make snarky comments at Ryan.

And can Mendez bite the bullet already? Though love the fact that her ex is in with Joe. This show just continues to try to prove Six Degrees. aha.

3. Jake says:

As a long time Williamson fan I have given this show a lot of slack. But this week has finally gotten me to my breaking point. So many of the problems from last season haven’t been fixed. The fact that a crowd was watching the fight on the train platform and still people attacked Ryan as soon as she yelled so that she was free to get away.

At this point, other than Max and the twin eye candy there’s not really much reason to watch. Heres hoping for the season gets better. I liked most of the first season, admitting there were problems, but it’s getting harder and harder to defend the show this season.

• Overthinking says:

I am right there with you regarding frustrating behavior of people in the show. From the FBI agents right to the crowd who just stand there and watches as 2 women fight and try to kill each other and nobody does anything. Seriously!!! I have stuck with the show because I like Kevin Bacon and I am liking his sister too but I am totally jumping ship if they even dare have/suggest Lily and one of her “children” have a ‘thing’ again. That slizzy touching of the arm didn’t go so well on my stomach. One more of those and am out. There is only so much creepiness I can take.

4. David Mills says:

Am I the only one who was hoping Gisele would end up on the train track squashed by an oncoming train! I know it’s cliche, but I don’t give a s***t, she needs to go!
    I think the Afticsn American twins may be the twins the cops are referring to, meaning Mark and Luke COULD actually be Lily’s biological children after all.

5. K. says:

I kinda of thought that last nights episode was one of the better ones! Also after seeing next weeks preview, it has to be bad when Emma tells Joe these people are crazy……talking about Lily and the twins!!!

6. kirads09 says:

First point I would like to make: This show is worth every minute to watch due to the incredible performance of one Mr. James Purefoy. If for no other reason. Just hope the beard comes off soonish to see that incredibly handsome face.

I thought A LOT happened in this episode: We found out a little more about Lily. Didn’t she tell Luke – or was it Mark (while she was getting “dressed” for Joe) that in time they will reveal their “true selves” ? What will that be? Does she want to kill Joe and take over the followers? Does she want to “reign” with Joe – they would be the murderous mum and dad to their “kids”. Does she intend to help Joe get Joey and hope to take Claire’s place? What is her twisted game plan because she obviously has one. Joe seemed to recognize Lily and did not appear unpleased to see her. What was their previous connection?

They are certainly setting up the mother of all triangles between younger Emma and cougar-ish Lily. Throw in bloodthirsty unpredictable teen Mandy and that is a really volatile situation for all.

Jana and the FBI lady! I didn’t see that coming.

Yes, I saw some sparks btwn Mike and Max. Think they will end up working together to save Ryan from himself basically.

• I agree, this episode had a LOT going on, I can’t stand the author/reporter’s comments.This is a complex show and there are a lot of subplots this episode sort of set up. I think the fact the brought creepy Emma back at all, means she has some larger part to play, and yes, there will be more than sparks from the Emma/Lily/Joe/Mandy mash-up. Like last season though, they have to give Ryan some wins or people will start getting too creeped out. I think the new FBI lady, Mendez, is too much a copy of the one we lost last season, Parker; they could be sisters! But the twist with the call to Jana was excellent! Last season everyone kept wanting to believe Parker was one of “them” and she wasn’t; this season, she KNOWS one of them, but it appears so far, she has no idea!

7. DiverKlein says:

FBI is even inept this season. Ryan is doing all the frickin work. Why haven’t they brought him back in yet?? And what are the odds the the FEEBS top cop is involved with a Follower? It cliched bordering on the absurd

They best not kill Max. She’s to pretty to die.

8. David Mills says:

Am I the only one who was hoping Gisele would end up on the train track squashed by an oncoming train! I know it’s cliche, but I don’t give a s**t she needs to go!
    I think the African American twins may be the twins the cops are referring to, meaning Mark and Luke COULD actually be Lily’s biological children after all.

9. Steph says:

I loved this episode and I saw some attraction between Max and Weston and IM SO HAPPY!!! Weston needs a sexy scene that guy probably hasn’t had a girlfriend in 2 years! I believe Weston deep down inside knows Joe is alive but won’t except it.

10. Angie says:

Does anyone remember Jana from previous episodes? I’ve been trying to remember that and can’t recall.

• Kristoffer says:

I was racking my brain trying to remember her from the first season – and can’t. I don’t think she was around…. I think they just through her in so they could have the twist of her being ex’s with the FBI lady.

11. Jamie says:

What a terrible recap. What episode were you watching? You may not have liked what was going on, but there was definitely a lot of plot in this episode.

I’m really liking Max. I miss Ryan and Mike working side by side. And I did not see the Jana twist coming at all.

12. Mikael says:

The subway fight scene ruined the whole episode for me. Once again a Follower is smarter than Ryan and the FBI and gets away. His sister had better catch her next week or it might just be the final straw for me. Everyone manages to slip away! On another note, did you hear Gisele’s nose crack when Ryan punched her? I think I said “Oww!” out loud.

13. Kristoffer says:

So far I am liking this season even though I feel like I have to let a lot of things slide. I get this is a tv show and not real life and they have to find ways to keep the show going, meaning the FBI isn’t ever going to have too many wins. However I still can’t get past the fact there seems to be an endless number of people willing to kill for no real reason – except that they are ‘followers’ of Joe. Would be different if he was a writer that wrote books about how evil, corrupt and dishonest the government was and adamant about how people had to ‘take back’ their country and the followers were those type people. Had they gone the sovereign citizens route and these random folks were totally against any government the whole premise would seems much more believable to me… But for these people to follow Joe for revenge in something they have no part of just makes no sense.

14. Kat says:

I don’think the new group are “followers” at all. I think they have a whole different agenda. Maybe a connection to Joe’s brother (half-brother? I can’t remember). It was mentioned that he was living in Europe when he was killed by Joe’s followers so they could have DNA thatt would match little Joey’s when Joe was supposedly blown up last season. Plus, some of the comments the new ones have made just don’t add up to them being followers. I still swear that agent Mike is a Follower.

15. frustrated ex-follower says:

I honestly don’t even know why I watch this show anymore. The behavior and actions of everyone on this show make everything just so FRUSTRATING. I don’t understand why EVERYONE on this show feels the need to go all “one man wolf pack”. Ryan Hardy always tries running off straight into Joe, without telling anyone where he’s headed, not only risking HIS OWN life, but also the lives of the people that are involved!!1 I get that he’s so head stuck with revenge and alla that jazz, but I don’t think it’s fair that he can act reckless and watch how the people die in front of him, yet continue to blame no one but Joe. Get your stuff together, Ryan. I hate this show so much and I am 100% done with these characters, especially Joe. The only one person I do support is Weston, because the jigga is real.

This is one of the last episodes I’m watching, because I am damn tired of the reoccuring theme of Ryan running recklessly into situations he can’t handle while the FBI does nothing but scramble. This show is so unrealistic. #done

16. I want to start a website. It will be asking for money only to fund the seminars associated with holding meetings for the clients and for mailouts. How should I go about setting that up?.