Pilot Scoop: The Flash Adds Tom Cavanagh as S.T.A.R. Labs' Rock Star Scientist

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Tom Cavanagh The FlashThe Flash has cast its maker.

The CW’s Arrow spin-off pilot has tapped Ed alum Tom Cavanagh to play Harrison Wells, a rock star physicist who had a hand in shaping Barry Allen’s new reality, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Your Complete Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s In Them

Wells is the mind and money behind Central City’s S.T.A.R. Labs Particle Accelerator. After the lab’s explosion, he becomes a pariah but finds the road to redemption when he discovers that his failed experiment unintentionally created the world’s fastest man.

He joins the previously cast Candice Patton (as Barry Allen’s best friend Iris West), Jesse L. Martin (as Barry’s father figure — and Iris’ dad — Central City Detective West), Carlos Valdes (as engineering genius Cisco Roman), Danielle Panabaker (as bioengineering expert Caitlin Snow), Rick Cosnett (as Detective Eddie Thawne) and Grant Gustin (as the titular speedster).

Cavanagh’s more recent TV credits include Royal Pains, Scrubs, Trust Me and Eli Stone.

Comments (26)

• Love Ed! Great casting on this show so far with the exception of Candice Patton.

Comment by Mark – February 10, 2014 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • and whys that?

Comment by nate – February 10, 2014 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is a guess, but maybe Mark doesn’t think she’s a good actress? Why else?

Comment by Teag – February 10, 2014 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ed is one of the best shows ever. I wasn’t planning on watching this, but now I think I’m going to have to.

Comment by Zach – February 10, 2014 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, Ed was awesome and I would LOVE to see it again, but to me, most of his characters after Ed were just ed with a differentt name. Different name, clothes and messenger bag, but still Ed.

Comment by Leah – February 10, 2014 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just watch it on YouTube. They might be missing a couple of season 4 episodes, but you can buy those on iOffer.

Comment by Zach – February 10, 2014 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved him in the too quickly cancelled CBS series, Love Monkey.

Comment by Tom – February 10, 2014 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Heyyyyyyyyyy, little brother.

Comment by steven – February 10, 2014 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The cast for The Flash just keeps getting better.

Comment by Jared – February 10, 2014 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mark, I find it interesting that you highlight Candice Patton. Maybe you should reserve judgment until you watch the series.

Comment by Emmanuel – February 10, 2014 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Great choice. Loved watching him on Ed.

Comment by enri – February 10, 2014 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have loved Tom Cavanagh since Ed. I will definitely be watching The Flash now.

Comment by Tenney – February 10, 2014 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously though, when is Ed coming to DVD?

Comment by Steven – February 10, 2014 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s on YouTube.

Comment by Zach – February 10, 2014 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Probably not even. I got all of the episode off Limewire about 7 years back lol

Comment by ggny – February 10, 2014 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Awww Limewire….how I miss thee.

Comment by tp – February 10, 2014 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Probably never. It costs too much to license the music and they don’t want, and fans don’t want, the music switched for DVD.

I keep hoping Amazon or Netflix will pick it up one day. I email every once in awhile requesting it.

Comment by Leah – February 10, 2014 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t really plan to watch this series (at least not until it was released on Blu-ray) until now. Tom Cavanagh is awesome, and a truly hilarious fella. Check out his podcast, Mike and Tom Eat Snacks that he does with his Ed costar Michael Ian Black. It’s entertaining stuff.

Comment by Eric – February 10, 2014 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never saw Ed, not too sure if it was ever shown over here (England).
    Is it worth tracking down?

Comment by lovemunkey187 – February 10, 2014 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So cool to see a bunch of other Ed fans here. I never see anyone talk about Ed or Tom Cavanaugh. I always look forward to when I would see him perform again and he always turns in a memorable performance, whether it’s JD’s brother on Scrubs or Eli Stone’s father. Hopefully The Flash will give him ample material.

Comment by TigerNightmare – February 10, 2014 11:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t know there was a Flash spin-off? Can we transfer Felicity over there too? Because with Roy joining Team Arrow, it now kinda feels a wee bit crowded. And Oliver doesn’t deserve Felicity.

Comment by Dani – February 11, 2014 04:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved Ed, although the finale left a lot to be desired. How could they not keep him and Carol together?? I also liked Tom in the series “Providence”. He joined that show for the last couple of seasons. Have watched him in other shows since Ed and they never seemed to “take”. Hope this is a hit for him.

Comment by Kathie Menker – February 11, 2014 05:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is welcome news – I adored Ed, and really love Tom Cavanagh’s acting. Can’t wait to see him back on my TV!

Comment by Tiff – February 11, 2014 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ive only ever seen cavanagh on scrubs up until now and i thought he was fantastic in the role, guess i should check out ed given all the praise thats being heaped on it here
    dont recognise the name of the character, is he from the comics or new? i guess from the description that he is going to be the equivalent of diggle on arrow being the heroes first ally in crime fighting. also like the idea of a redemption arc for the character, nice to see someone being held accountable for what happened with the particle accelerator.

Comment by Alan – February 11, 2014 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was wondering the same thing — comic character, or new?
      O comic book gurus, share your wisdom!

Comment by Gabriel Garcia – February 11, 2014 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • actually i can help you with this now, ive been looking it up and to the best of my knowledge he is a brand new character.

Comment by Alan – February 12, 2014 02:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post