Pilot Scoop: The Flash Adds Tom Cavanagh as S.T.A.R. Labs' Rock Star Scientist

Tom Cavanagh The FlashThe Flash has cast its maker.

The CW’s Arrow spin-off pilot has tapped Ed alum Tom Cavanagh to play Harrison Wells, a rock star physicist who had a hand in shaping Barry Allen’s new reality, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Your Complete Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s In Them

Wells is the mind and money behind Central City’s S.T.A.R. Labs Particle Accelerator. After the lab’s explosion, he becomes a pariah but finds the road to redemption when he discovers that his failed experiment unintentionally created the world’s fastest man.

He joins the previously cast Candice Patton (as Barry Allen’s best friend Iris West), Jesse L. Martin (as Barry’s father figure — and Iris’ dad — Central City Detective West), Carlos Valdes (as engineering genius Cisco Roman), Danielle Panabaker (as bioengineering expert Caitlin Snow), Rick Cosnett (as Detective Eddie Thawne) and Grant Gustin (as the titular speedster).

Cavanagh’s more recent TV credits include Royal Pains, Scrubs, Trust Me and Eli Stone.

1. Mark says:

Love Ed! Great casting on this show so far with the exception of Candice Patton.

2. Zach says:

Ed is one of the best shows ever. I wasn’t planning on watching this, but now I think I’m going to have to.

• Leah says:

I agree, Ed was awesome and I would LOVE to see it again, but to me, most of his characters after Ed were just ed with a differentt name. Different name, clothes and messenger bag, but still Ed.

3. Tom says:

Loved him in the too quickly cancelled CBS series, Love Monkey.

4. steven says:

Heyyyyyyyyyy, little brother.

5. Jared says:

The cast for The Flash just keeps getting better.

6. Emmanuel says:

Mark, I find it interesting that you highlight Candice Patton. Maybe you should reserve judgment until you watch the series.

7. enri says:

Yes! Great choice. Loved watching him on Ed.

8. Tenney says:

I have loved Tom Cavanagh since Ed. I will definitely be watching The Flash now.

9. Steven says:

Seriously though, when is Ed coming to DVD?

10. Eric says:

I didn’t really plan to watch this series (at least not until it was released on Blu-ray) until now. Tom Cavanagh is awesome, and a truly hilarious fella. Check out his podcast, Mike and Tom Eat Snacks that he does with his Ed costar Michael Ian Black. It’s entertaining stuff.

11. lovemunkey187 says:

Never saw Ed, not too sure if it was ever shown over here (England).
    Is it worth tracking down?

12. So cool to see a bunch of other Ed fans here. I never see anyone talk about Ed or Tom Cavanaugh. I always look forward to when I would see him perform again and he always turns in a memorable performance, whether it’s JD’s brother on Scrubs or Eli Stone’s father. Hopefully The Flash will give him ample material.

13. Dani says:

I didn’t know there was a Flash spin-off? Can we transfer Felicity over there too? Because with Roy joining Team Arrow, it now kinda feels a wee bit crowded. And Oliver doesn’t deserve Felicity.

• Kathie Menker says:

I loved Ed, although the finale left a lot to be desired. How could they not keep him and Carol together?? I also liked Tom in the series “Providence”. He joined that show for the last couple of seasons. Have watched him in other shows since Ed and they never seemed to “take”. Hope this is a hit for him.

14. Tiff says:

This is welcome news – I adored Ed, and really love Tom Cavanagh’s acting. Can’t wait to see him back on my TV!

15. Alan says:

ive only ever seen cavanagh on scrubs up until now and i thought he was fantastic in the role, guess i should check out ed given all the praise thats being heaped on it here
    dont recognise the name of the character, is he from the comics or new? i guess from the description that he is going to be the equivalent of diggle on arrow being the heroes first ally in crime fighting. also like the idea of a redemption arc for the character, nice to see someone being held accountable for what happened with the particle accelerator.

• I was wondering the same thing — comic character, or new?
      O comic book gurus, share your wisdom!

• Alan says:

actually i can help you with this now, ive been looking it up and to the best of my knowledge he is a brand new character.

• There are a lot of people this guy could be.

1) Abracadabra. This would make sense. With 64th Century Technology and an intimate awareness of the past, the simple sliding door for a master of intricate stage magic makes sense.

2) (My Vote) Vandal Savage. This would be utterly awesome in so many ways. An immortal time-traveling nutcase who constantly finds new ways to contact himself and prevent his own demise? Classic! Plus, he’s on DC’s A-list.

3) (My Hope) Harrison Wells is Grodd. WHAT? How is that possible? Well, Grodd saw a chance to get rid of the humans by creating a giant dimensional vortex, and harness that energy to power Gorilla City and take it back over. He breaks out of the cage during the test, kills Wells, and assumes his identity. Since telepathy for anyone other than Grodd is currently unknown, Grodd has an easy time covering himself in an illusion. There’s a hole here with the future newscasting, but there are ways of covering it if they’re smart.