Seth Meyers Chooses Fellow SNL Alum Fred Armisen as Late Night Bandleader

seth-meyers-fred-armisen-late-night-bandleader-nbcSeth Meyers won’t have to look far for a partner in punch lines when he takes over Late Night hosting duties later this month.

The Saturday Night Live vet announced via Twitter this afternoon that he’s tapped Fred Armisen, another former Not Ready for Primetime Player, to lead his band.

RELATED | Jay Leno’s Final Tonight Show Hits 5-Year Ratings High: The 5 Most Memorable Moments

“Fred will curate and lead the band, and continue to run it even when he’s off shooting Portlandia,” Meyers added, along with the hashtag “8GBand.”

Late Night With Seth Meyers will premiere Monday, February 24; Meyers, of course, will be stepping into Jimmy Fallon’s role now that the latter comic is taking over The Tonight Show from Jay Leno, who aired his final installment last Thursday.

Check out Meyers’ first photo of Armisen and his musical cohorts below.

1. Joel says:

As much as I’m not a fan of the late night format, I might have to give this a shot. Hopefully Armisen gets a decent amount of airtime. They could be fun to watch play off of each other. I actually like most of the late night hosts, but there’s something about the format that always loses my attention.

2. Brendan says:

I don’t know about this… I find Fred pretty creepy when he’s on air as himself

3. Sara says:

Well, I had been looking forward to Seth on Late Night, but I REALLY can’t stand Fred Armisen.

• I feel the same way, Sara . . . I read the title of this, and in one brief sentence, all of my excitement disappeared. In the interest of full disclosure, I’ve never watched Portlandia, but all of my other exposure to Armisen has led me to find him creepy and unfunny.

4. Jon says:

I’m with everyone (so far), Armisen is not my cup of tea. I hope he continues filming on Portlandia… a lot, so I won’t have to see him on Seth’s show.

5. Debra says:

i’M just the opposite of you guys….. I’m not the biggest Meyers fan (except when he’s doing weekend update) but I love Armisen. I think he’s hilarious. A good addition to the show. I’ll be checking out the first couple of episodes for curiosity’s sake.

6. Kristin D says:

I go either way with him as a comedian but he is a talented musician and they already have a nice rapport so it is probably a great fit. It is certainly not enough to make me not watch…I gave Jimmy a year when he took over Late Night (those first few episodes were ROUGH)- I’ll give Seth & Co the same to find their footing.

7. Joey says:

Happy Fred will be part of Seth’s new show. Can’t wait to see Late Night later this month!

8. Tran 2.0 says:

Fred Armisen as band leader is my kind of music. Let’s hope Late Night w/ Seth Meyers won’t let NBC down depending on “ratings”.

9. willhowcoop says:

Well, he is in as the bandleader, so it is hard to say what role he will take in a comedic capacity. He is a great musician. I will watch. The show will need some time to find its footing, they all do. I remember how awful Late Night was when Conan took over in the 90’s. It took him awhile but he settled in nicely.

10. Bob Johnson says: