Grey's Anatomy First Look: Midseason Premiere Pits Arizona Vs. Callie, Alex Vs. Owen!

April’s possibly derailed wedding seems to have put all of Grey+Sloan’s finest on edge, based on this first flurry of photos from the Grey’s Anatomy midseason premiere.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Contract Scoop: Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey Sign New 2-Year Deals

Per the official synopsis for the Feb. 27 episode, titled “Take It Back’ and picking up about 10 minutes after Jackson’s fall finale outburst, “The doctors face the consequences of the events that took place at April’s wedding. Meredith feels betrayed when Derek goes back on a promise, Alex is furious after returning to the hospital and hearing the news about his father (returning guest star James Remar), and Arizona and Callie decide whether or not to move forward together. Meanwhile, Bailey realizes she was wrong about the motive behind Ben’s decision to move back to Seattle.”

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Exclusive: Greek Alum Joins Season 10 in Potentially Recurring Role

At least two bits of the above drama are depicted in the sideshow below. Cast your votes now for how/where things will go for “Calzona.” (And is Arizona helpfully rounding up gifts to return or to deliver to a new bride and groom?)

1. Eliza says:

I thought the annoying intern killed Alex’s dad?

2. Kelly says:

I think Owen is explaining what happened to Alex but its Shane that Alex is going to be fuming at since he’s the one that botched the surgery

3. Forwardad says:

I thought the dad was dead? I hope this April/ Mathew/ Avery non wedding isn’t dragged out. April will probablly say she is too confused to decide and the only people who get screwed ( pun intended) are Mathew and Stephanie. Finish up that story line and all others so GA can give Cristina the story line she deserves.

4. I hope Shane gets fired because this isn’t accidentally looking over something that turns out to be important (which got April fired her first time around), or not having enough/the right information to do a procedure correctly (which turned out to be the cause when Callie was sued), or doing everything right but an unforeseen occurrence causes a problem. Shane purposely screwed with the system to put in more hours causing harm to himself, making him unfit to properly do surgery, and thereby harming patients. Not to mention that he did the surgery without supervision by someone with more experience. Getting fired is the least of his worries. Alex suing the hospital is certainly warranted. And if he thought he could get anything out of an intern, suing Shane would be a good idea. I would only be satisfied if Shane was fired, and he never worked as a surgeon again. It’s not that he’s been annoying all season, it’s that he purposely did wrong knowing as he should as a doctor that he could and would mentally crash and likely at the worst possible time.

• TW2 says:

Bitter much? It’s a TV character for godsake….My goodness.

• Marcie says:

TW2- She’s entitled to her opinion. Get a grip.

• I’m not bitter. I’m hoping for a little bit of realism in the show. I know that seems like a lot to ask from a show where a mass shooting and and a plane crash has revolved around one hospital. But in order for me to suspend my disbelief for those big events, the smaller events should hold up to realism. In the real world, Shane would get fired. Exceptions wouldn’t be made for the sake of keeping a character around. And it’s not like Shane is necessary to keep viewers as he’s not a major favorite. A new intern can easily step in and take his place.

I don’t mind disagreement. I would like a little more from the argument than assuming I’m bitter over something. Even if you just say you like the character, I will accept that as argument enough. I can’t think of anything to be bitter about. I do find him annoying, but I know that’s not enough reason to get rid of a character.

• ryce says:

Right?? Seems like there’s something else going on behind that rant.

• Babygate says:

Agreed. Shane is insufferable and out of control. I literally have to look awwy when hes on the screen because he makes me want to throw a shoe at my tv.

• catcha says:

Yeah I know what you mean, I feel the same way about that annoying childish April, talk about realism? Do certain women really act like that??? Pretty silly and nauseating, in my opinion.

• Bjohns says:

I’m guessing a suspension of surgery and probably a few visits to a psycologist. It will probably come out about him screwing with his time so he can stay on duty so he will probably face some type of punishment but not fired.

5. nitemar says:

Ugh, Jolex again. But finally some Cslzona news,sort of. Hopefully they finally talk. Love Csllie’s jacket. <3

6. frances says:

Shane should Get cut from the program like Richard did for April or Izzie. He really took advantage of Christina and thought he was the boss of everyone doing a procedure that he should not have done place.first place.the Harper A foundation should make that decision not the guys on the board their to soft

• Babygate says:

You would think that after everything Shane has done he would get cut. Unfortunately, Gaius was tweeting in reference to ep. 17 so, he’s still around.. Shonda wants this character, and she keeps the people she loves, regardless of how much fans may despise them.

7. Pat says:

Hard to tell what Arizona & Callie are doing with the wedding gifts.I assume, that the wedding did not take place? Also, Shane needs to go! Looking forward to this show starting up again.

• Bjohns says:

You can’t tell. I have done the bridesmaid deal with packing up the gifts to take them to the designated location, house or parents house, while the happy couple head to their room or honeymoon.

8. Clara Oswin Oswald says:

I used to be a Calzona fan but frankly I wish they would breakup already they’ve been dragging this storyline far more than it need it too.

• tazzy says:

Amen to that. Stay together or split up — I’m past the point of caring.

• Sara says:

I honestly believe that they bring out the worst in each other. Maybe this wasn’t the case in the beginning, but maybe like Owen and Cristina (this is breaking my heart to type, btw), they just aren’t meant to be together forever. It doesn’t take away from the love that they shared, but really I can’t possibly imagine that their relationship could be salvaged realistically without the writers just flat-out ignoring their many, many issues. Of course, this is Grey’s so that is probably exactly what will happen.

• Babygate says:

The writers do seem to have a problem knowing how to write sensible and realistic storylines for this couple.

• Keebs26 says:

I completely disagree that they bring out the worst in each other. They’ve been together for 5 years & made it through the big hurdles in a relationship just to stay together. They’ve compromised on everything out of love. I think it’s unfair to say they bring out the worst in each other because it’s actually the complete opposite. Callie became a better character with Arizona. The plane crash wrecked them & they didn’t properly deal & they stopped communicating. The love is obviously still there. It’s sad to hear someone say something like that only because a tragedy happened to them. Plane crash, loss of leg & miscarriage. That’s a lot to deal with in such a short time for a couple. All they need to do is work together. I have no doubt in my mind that this couple is 100% MFEO.

• Sara says:

They become harpies to each other. This isn’t exclusive to the post-plane crash era, either. They haven’t really been the same since Arizona left for Africa. There haven’t been compromises. Callie bends and bends and bends for Arizona and Arizona steamrolls her to get her way. Callie used to be such a strong character and now she is just a wilting flower. And Arizona has always been a little bit mean, but it has REALLY come out towards Callie the past few years. Arizona doesn’t choose to talk through whatever angst she has towards Callie and Callie doesn’t push her to do so. Arizona screws up (or screws around as it were), Callie gets understandably upset, Arizona basically blames Callie because of her leg and then tells her to jump and Callie begs and pleads how high? I don’t think they have made it through the “big hurdles” as you say. I think that a lot of times one of them (usually Arizona) has cut and run and then come slinking back.
          But that’s just my opinion. I would prefer it (and think it would be a much more interesting story) if Shonda and the writers would commit to showing a same-sex couple with a child working through a permanent romantic separation. Especially when the couple is as broken as this one.

• Keebs26 says:

They haven’t compromised for each other? Do you even know anything about this couple? Their relationship has been all about compromising to stay together. Callie compromised on no children to stay with Arizona twice. Then Arizona compromised having children with Callie FOR Callie. Then not only did she come back from Africa for Callie, but she stayed and raised another mans baby without saying much. She accepted Mark’s baby as her own from the very beginning with Mark being in their relationship more than he should have & Callie never properly set boundaries. They were very happy before the plane crash. Don’t forget, the writers kind of forgot about Calzona in season 8 so you can’t hold that against them. They didn’t give them much. When it comes to real storylines, Calzona always seems to get the shaft. Then the plane crash happened & tore them apart. It would be horrible to see them split up over a tragedy without actually working on it. The leg & cheating storylines were completely botched by the writers, so if 10b is about them finally working together as a unit & moving forward, I’m all for that. They deserve it, cause it’s about time. They clearly still love each other, so it’d be sad if they didn’t get that chance. I for the most part blame the writers for the mess they created without doing it justice & giving them the proper screen time. I have a feeling 10b will be good for them & maybe you’ll feel a little different when all’s said & done. Just a thought.

• abz says:

“Arizona compromised having children with Callie FOR Callie. Then not only did she come back from Africa for Callie, but she stayed and raised another mans baby without saying much. She accepted Mark’s baby as her own from the very beginning with Mark being in their relationship more than he should have & Callie never properly set boundaries.” –> I for one have to disagree with you on this. She didn’t compromise FOR Callie. I think she did it all for herself. She came back from Africa after she realized she made a mistake in leaving Callie and that she wanted to be with her. With regards to Mark, he was the Sophia’s father and in making her choice to stay with Callie there really was no other alterrnative for her but to get used to that fact that he would be in their lives a lot more than she wanted. It was a consequence of her decisions and it wasn’t intentional on Callie’s part.

• Sara says:

I agree with abz. There was no compromising involved in the whole baby thing. First, your example of Callie compromising for Arizona 2 times regarding children: how is it a compromise when Arizona wouldn’t even listen to Callie’s side of it? She gave her a flat out no and was annoyed that it was even something she had to think about. When she came back from Africa and found out that Callie was pregnant with Mark’s baby, she threw a fit. She made a big deal about having to think about things and then tried to shut Mark out. Mark is the father of that baby. It was not unreasonable that Mark would want to be a part of Sophia’s life. He had EVERY RIGHT to want to be involved in the pregnancy and in his baby’s life. After the car accident, which I’m sorry and this is my opinion, was kinda Arizona’s fault because of her harping about Mark, she STILL tried to shut Mark out. She showed a vague compromise with Mark, but not with Callie.

Also, you say that they clearly still love each other. I can see that Callie still loves Arizona. I cannot say the same of Arizona, not only because of the sleeping with 2 other women thing, but because of the way she has treated Callie for the past 2 years. She has shown such contempt for Callie over the past 2 seasons. That does not scream “love” at me. I think she just doesn’t want to fail at something and that is the only reason she is still barely hanging on to this marriage.

• Keebs26 says:

I’m replying to this because I can’t reply to your new post. Do you know what compromising is? Arizona shouldn’t get blasted just because she didn’t want children. A woman has that right. The first time, it broke them up. Callie compromised her need for a child for them to stay together until her need for a baby broke them up. Then when the shooting happened, Arizona compromised her position on children for Callie after seeing Callie stand up to a gunmen. And when she came back from Africa, she did not throw a fit. Again; what show are you watching? She wanted a day to be upset & cry about Callie sleeping with Mark. That night she told Callie she was all in. And not once did she ever try to shut Mark out of Sofia’s life. He’s the one that called Arizona nothing & finally apologized cause he knew he was wrong. All they did was have a difference of opinion medically. They were ALWAYS a 3 parent team & Mark & Arizona became family. Arizona never tried claiming Sofia as hers & not Mark’s, too. Arizona & Mark were so tight after Sofia was born & they were all equal parents & treated each other as such. So yet again, wha the hell were you watching? All Arizona ever wanted was Mark out of their RELATIONSHIP in the beginning. Do you not remember Callie getting annoyed at Arizona & Mark for spending so much time together? That’s how close they got because of co-parenting. So how did Arizona try to shut Mark out of Sofia’s life again? You’re wrong.

Arizona loved Callie right before the plane crash, right? That’s my whole point that the crash ruined them because they didn’t properly deal. Arizona is obviously not right with herself. She’d been monogamous for 5 years & never so much as looked at another woman & all this happens & she easily sleeps with 2 women? Yeah, something’s not right with her. She’s insecure about Callie’s true intentions with her since she lost a leg. She’s not sure of herself when it comes to Callie.

And let’s not forget that Callie can be selfish. She rarely showed Arizona empathy after the crash, she tried rushing her recovery & complained about not getting sex for 5 months after the crash. Callie tends to lash out & shuts down Arizona’s feelings. And Callie can be ridiculously oblivious. And then when Arizona had a miscarriage, Callie wasn’t emotionally there for her. Arizona tried telling Callie how she felt & Callie basically yelled at her & walked away instead of hugging her wife who had just lost their baby. So please don’t act like Callie has done nothing wrong in this equation. The cheating is 100% on Arizona, but the failure of the marriage is 50/50. They stopped communicating & were never the same after the crash.

That’s why I’m looking forward to them working things out in 10b. The writers completely screwed them over last season & the beginning of this season. It’s about time they get their actual chance.

• Sara says:

You and I clearly have a different interpretation of what we are seeing while we are viewing the show, but you don’t have to get rude by demanding to know “what the the hell show” I am watching and telling me that I am wrong. It is merely a difference of opinion. I am of the opinion that they need to break up, you are of the opinion that they shouldn’t. Slow your roll.

• Keebs26 says:

Not trying to be rude, but you were literally talking about stuff that never happened. This has nothing to do with interpretation; Arizona never did anything you said when it came to Sofia & Mark. That’s a fact. They have co-parented from the very beginning since Callie was pregnant with each getting a 33% say. She never told Mark that Sofia was only hers or that Mark was nothing to Sofia. That’s why I was asking what the hell you were watching. I’ve seen every Calzona scene at least 10 times if not more, so I have a pretty good grasp of what went on. The only thing Arizona ever expressed was that it wasn’t her dream to have Mark’s baby with Callie. Obviously she’d want a baby that was hers & Callie’s. But she never tried pushing him out of Sofia’s life. They were all a team.

So sorry if I was rude, but I’m just passionate about this couple & I really wanna see them get some actual screen time with some substance. Might as well just end the convo, cause we clearly see things differently, so no need to go in circles. We both said our points, so cheers.

• Whitesand125 says:

Keebs, it’s late, but I want to thank you for saving me so much time. All the way through the whole back and forth with Sara, you were making points that I was saying to the screen. I’ll never understand why people place so much blame on Arizona. The last thing she has ever been has been selfish, angry..yes, but it is all part of the syndrome:

– If Mark hadn’t called, and Callie answered, ten minutes after they left, there would have been no crash!
          – Arizona went out to dinner with JUST Mark to try to find his good points…for Callie.
          – Callie got annoyed because Mark and Arizona became cooking partners.
          – They were happy and playful through all of S8…baseball, Derrick’s trailor…

I am soo late for bed, but thank you for correcting the many misconceptions. It’s one thing to have an opinion, but you can’t ignore or alter the facts. You did a good job of defending Arizona, as she should be defended.

9. wordsmith says:

I second the swoon. One smile from Jo cures all ills.

10. shann says:

I am loving the development of Jo/Alex, they are absolutely my favourite part of the entire show at the moment! just love them. their barn scene, omg..i hope Alex kick’s Ross’s ass, and I agree I think he needs to be fired for what he did, it was shocking!! Can’t stand his character at ALL.
    Knew Derek would take the job, thats hardly surprising. I agree I am way way over the Arizona and Callie stuff, they have dragged their drama on way too much.

11. abz says:

Shonda needs to split up Calzona once and for all after the horrible witch she’s made Arizona become. Arizona is beyond hope, in my opinion. I can no longer feel any sympathy for her and even the two of them have not been good together for a really long time.

• Sara says:

I completely agree. They really only bring out the worst in each other when they aren’t blindly pretending that everything is completely.

• Sara says:

completely fine* is what I meant to type.

• Jaime says:

So true – they really do seem to bring out the worst in each other. I really need them to break up because Callie used to be one of my favorite characters, but it almost seems like this relationship has broken her spirit. She was never this insecure, whiny, and people-pleasing before. Let’s #FreeCallie and find her another ladylove!

• Whitesand125 says:

I don’t think Shonda made Arizona a “horrible witch”. I think she depicted, very realistically, a person going through PTSD. She can be cured. The writers haven’t stayed with that issue enough, and they are making it hard for a lot of people to sympathize with her.

• Sara says:

Meh, I thought she was a horrible witch before the PTSD, but to each their own.

• Babygate says:

The writers haven’t stayed with the PTSD issue enough because they have yet to establish a concrete and logical reason for the cheating. Last summer Shonda was talking PTSD, but that has never been addressed. It was only implied when Callie told Arizona she should talk to the therapist in ep 3. In ep. 4 Arizona said that Boswell didn’t look at her like others (Callie) did. So it appeared that it was an issue of acceptance and perception. But the writer of the episode (Austin Guzman) said that Arizona was NOT using that as an excuse for the cheating. Then in ep. 9, we are led to believe that it was grief after losing the baby that led Arizona to cheat. Then in ep. 12 she tells April that it was because she felt like Boswell liked her as she is now and she uses Callie’s research to support that theory which is a total overreach considering that it was Callie that asked her to move back home and stayed with her even after she cheated. If Callie didn’t love her and wanted out of the relationship she had plenty of time and reasons to do it, but she chose to stay. But Arizona is too self-absorbed to see that. So, yes, it is very difficult to empathize with Arizona at this point.

• Anna says:

Hmm, Arizona was always pretty selfish and witchy – the PTSD just kicked it up a notch.

• Babygate says:

I find myself leaning in that direction as well. The infidelity plotline has been developed just as poorly as the ill-conceived pregnancy story of S7. After George cheated on Callie, she divorced him. She knew she would not be able to get past it. After Arizona cheats, Callie takes her back and calls it ‘a mistake’. The fact that Arizona carried on with Leah while still calling herself married and wearing her wedding band is treated as irrelevant. Callie has no reaction to it other than, ‘is it over’? One week later Arizona is DEMANDING to be let back into the marital bed and Callie is all ‘ok, just give me ONE night to process the fact that you were carrying on with Murphy for weeks’. Yeah, that’s realistic. Not to mention the fact that while Callie is trying to move forward leaving the cheating behind, Arizona is just whining about Callie not ‘loving as she is now’ and using her perceived non-acceptance to justify the cheating effectively making Callie responsible for her tryst with Boswell. This entire premise is so unrealistic and so badly written that it has left a bad taste in my mouth for these two being together. I would prefer to see Callie with someone who will treat her with dignity and respect and will not cheat on her. And Arizona should just stay single since she enjoys sleeping around so much. (Did I mention the fact that in S9 it took Arizona forever to allow Callie to even touch her but this season she sleeps with Leah in record time?). Shonda has a knack for making couples so unlikeable that you just want them apart (a la Crowen, Burke/Cristina and April/Jackson).

12. abz says:

I really want some sort of idea as to the direction they’re taking with Sandra’s exit. The only thing we’ve seen is the show slowly weakening her connections to other characters (Mer/Owen), but no idea of what’s the plan for her character moving forward.

• Emma says:

Honestly? That seems to be pretty much the plot- weakening Cristina’s relationships with everyone so when she gets some amazing offer in another state/country, she has no problem leaving everybody behind. I really hope I’m wrong though because that would be such a waste.

• abz says:

Yeah that’s what I’ve thought too, but I’ve been holding out some hope like you that I’m wrong and that they have something actually interesting and creative in mind. Having her just leave for a job or killing her off would just be lame and annoying.

• Lisa G says:

Plus she now slept with an intern she was “supervising” yet didn’t notice that he was working a gazillion hours and didn’t heed warnings from Meredith there was something wrong with him. This can let the board lose faith in her to help nudge her elsewhere….

(Didn’t say this was a good idea.)

Who do you think Christina sells her shares to?

13. JJ says:

All the interns need to go.

14. Soopah Soopah Soopah says:

I can’t believe it, but I am most curious as to why Ben is back in Seattle. I really hope its NOT because he shtupped some girl.

15. Finch says:

Great. Callie and Arizona are arguing again. Because we haven’t had enough of that these past two years. I hate that d*mn plane crash.

16. MandaJ says:

I feel a bit guilty saying the following statement, usually I am super loyal to all my shows. Grey’s is just not what it used to be. Should I stay or should I go? Don’t know if I’d even miss it.

17. thatgirlp says:

I think Callie and Arizona are FINALLY having a discussion about their marriage that is LONG OVERDUE…one of many more that they need to do. It was a bunch of BS for them to agree “that maybe they are talking too much” they avoid the hard stuff in their relationship until it blows up in their face!

I hope they agree to stay together and work to fix their marriage. I love them together, they are one of my favorite TV couples. Definitely my fav GA couple.

18. Una says:

I would like to see Callie reach her emotional “point of no return” and blurt out, after Arizona hisses one too many guilt-inducing barbs her way, that it was not Callie who amputated Arizona’s leg. Rather, it was Alex who did the actual cutting, after consulting with Callie, who was elbow-deep herself in an emergency surgery at the time a live or die decision had to be made about Arizona, who was crashing in another OR. Callie, as the senior doctor and next of kin, made the decision to take the leg, but it was Alex who had to carry out Callie’s directive. Callie has told no one about Alex’s role in the amputation, but it’s the sort of info that, if revealed, could set in motion enough story lines for almost every character (except for that social irritant, mentally ill Shane—PLEASE GET RID OF HIM, PERHAPS BY ELECTROCUTING HIM??? ) for a season or two. Don’t forget, Arizona is not just Alex’s boss; she’s also his mentor. What would Alex do if Arizona discovered the truth and sights him in her crosshairs? What if she starts treating Alex with the same contempt and resentment she reserves for Calle? Alex has almost always been able to give as good as he gets, but this is the kind of news where the principal characters will be forced to choose sides. And in such a scenario, I suspect Alex would garner more support than Callie.