Olympics Watch: What Was Your Favorite Moment From Sochi 2014, Day 2?

sochi-olympics-team-figure-skatingIt was hard not to feel skeptical about the addition of a team figure skating event to the 2014 Sochi Winter Games. After all, why fix what ain’t broke?

But on Day 2, after tremendous performances from newcomers and veteran skaters alike, it’s hard to imagine these Olympics without the inaugural event.

RELATEDOlympics Watch: What Was Your Favorite Moment From Sochi 2014, Day 1?

There was a second helping of near-flawless skating from Russian frontrunner Evgeni Plushenko, in pursuit of his fourth Olympic medal, as well as another performance from 15-year-old wunderkind Julia Lipnitskaia. There was the debut of 18-year-old U.S. skater Gracie Gold, whose free skate earned her a personal best score (129.38). And, perhaps most memorably, the evening included a career highlight for American ice dancing pair Meryl Davis and Charlie White, who also scored a personal best to keep Team USA on the podium.

And although some of Sunday’s skaters will happily erase tonight’s performances from their memory — including Canada’s Kaetlyn Osmond and Italy’s Paul Bonifacio Parkinson, both of whom struggled to stay vertical in their respective skates — the first-ever team figure skating event came to a satisfying, and wholly exciting, conclusion.

RELATEDWinter Olympics 2014: The Best and Worst Moments From the Sochi Opening Ceremonies

All told, Russia came away with its first gold medal of the Sochi games, with Canada earning silver and the U.S. clinching bronze.

Were you glued to the screen during Sunday’s team figure skating event? Or did your favorite moment come in the form of Olga Graf, whose surprising bronze-medal finish in the women’s speed skating final earned Russia its first medal of the Olympics? Perhaps the nail-biter men’s skiathlon was your most thrilling moment of Day 2? Sound off in the comments!

1. sara says:

Yulia Lipnitskaya. Her skating to Shindler’s List was simply breathtaking.

• Tony says:

Love how both of her skates were age appropret. Though I do have to say there seemed to much of a connection between her entire short program and the little girl from the Opening Cerimoney.

• Ben says:

Yes it really was. Phenomenal. I know we are always going to have comments (especially on American sites) about biased judging etc… But from what I saw the rankings in each of the various dances is how I would have ranked them too, so I feel as though Russia won fair and square. Without a doubt, Yulia was the star of the show.

• Evan says:

I was too busy thinking “Hmmmm a Russian skater who’s country is treating homosexuality potentially with the same conditions as the Holocaust has decided to skate to Schindler’s list. Irony.”

• Julie says:

She’s incredibly flexible and seems to have nerves of steel but I felt like her performance was very robotic. Maybe it was the lack of facial expressions but her entire performance was ver business-like. Don’t get me wrong, I think she’ll be great but she needs to show some more emotion. To me, Gracie Gold seemed to have the better all around performance. Maybe not as explosive but solid jumps with better natural flow and artistry.

2. Tony says:

Nothing beats the live Figure Skating commentary from Tara and Johnny!

3. Krista says:

Rigged voting, just like the French published.

• Julie says:

In favor of whom? The Russians were superior yesterday. Meryl and Charlie were better than Tessa and Scott. While I personally don’t agree with how high they scored Yulia, especially how much higher she scored over Gracie, I don’t see any evidence of rigged judging.

• PB says:

The entire american team seemed too nervous or held back giving lackluster performances (except for Gracie). No way they deserved gold (very lucky they got bronze). If they did then I would say there was a fix. The Russians were so far ahead by the time the ladies skated the USA could not make it up. Was Yulia’s score too high? Probably – but it didnt change the overall results.

• Julie says:

I never said the Americans deserved anything other than bronze. I said Meryl and Charlie were better than Tessa and Scott, which they were. In my OPINION, Yulias score was high. But while the scoring system is better than it used to be, there’s still a subjective element to it so not everyone is always going to agree. But there’s no actual evidence that the judging is rigged. If there is then present it but one report out of a random French magazine based on a quote by an “in identified Russian coach” does not make it fact.

• Znachki says:

Rigged voting in figure skating?? NOOOOOOO……… /sarcasm

4. Anna says:

Davis and White were amazing!
    And YAY for Jaime Anderson! Slopestyle snowboarding has been a great addition to the games.
    Even though USA didn’t medal, the downhill skiing is always thrilling to watch.
    And Curling starts tomorrow. :)

• Katherine215 says:

Slopestyle is so amazing to watch. Even if I spend the entire time with my stomach in knots, worried someone is going to break their neck. That fall Pancochova took was really scary.

5. Katie says:

Charlie White and Meryl Davis were incredible! I really hope they win the gold medal next week.

6. andy j says:

Kamil Stoch’s incredible ski jump resulting in a gold medal for Poland. What a great moment.

7. sme012 says:

Irene Wüst won the gold medal for 3000 meter speedskating. My favorite moment. She Dutch and so am I.

8. sam says:

It should be noted that Dancing with the Stars Derek Hough choreographed Charlie white and meryl Davis’s routine.

9. Kathrin says:

For me as an Austrian the gold medal from Mathias Mayer in the mens Downhill was the best moment yesterday! Maybe the best moment in the whole olympic games! For Austria the Gold medal in mens downhill is like winning the super bowl, it’s the most important title you can win! It doesn’t matter what the next two weeks will bring, how many medals the Austria will win! This gold medal was the most important!!

• Katherine215 says:

Wow, that’s exciting for him! I didn’t realize the Downhill gold was so important in Austria, so it’s great that he won (even if I was rooting for Bodie Miller :).

10. tara17 says:

My favorite moment is when Day 2 was over, which brings us closer to the end of the Winter Olympics.

11. CJ says:

I’ve always loved figure skating, so watching Evgeni Plushenko win a fourth medal was just magnificent. Yulia Lipnitskaya is a revelation and was incredible to watch, and I was absolutely floored by Meryl Davis and Charlie White’s ice dancing routine. The commentators were so engrossed in it they didn’t even speak until the very end of it. Just fantastic. Can’t wait for more.

12. alex jones says:

there can be no doubt about it! Jenny Jones taking the bronze in the slopestyle, Britain’s first ever gold medal at a snow event in the winter Olympics.