Olympics Watch: What Was Your Favorite Moment From Sochi 2014, Day 1?

sochi-olympics-sven-kramerDespite the jam-packed schedule of Day 1 in the 2014 Sochi Winter Games — five medal events in five different sports! — the standout moment for Dutch speed skater Sven Kramer is likely very easy to determine.

RELATED | Friday Ratings: Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony Down Vs. 2010

Today’s 5,000-meter men’s speed skating final wasn’t just a chance for Kramer to defend his gold medal from the 2010 Vancouver games. It was also a chance at redemption for the phenom, whose triumphant 2010 Olympics bid was marred by a disqualification in the 10,000-meter final (for an illegal lane shift).

RELATED | Heat Up the Sochi Winter Games With TVLine’s Olympic Bingo

But in his race against U.S. skater Jonathan Kuck, Kramer was once again in fine form, besting the opponent by nearly 21 seconds. Despite heavy competition from Russia’s athletes early on, the Netherlands’ resident powerhouse ultimately defended the gold — his fifth career Olympic medal — with teammates Jan Blokhuijsen and Jorrit Bergsma snagging silver and bronze, respectively.

The day on the ice wasn’t quite so victorious for Team USA, with Kuck only managing 19th place (out of 26). Similarly, U.S. competitor Patrick Meek nabbed 20th place, and 17-year-old Emery Lehman made his Olympic debut in 16th.

RELATED | Winter Olympics 2014: The Best and Worst Moments From the Sochi Opening Ceremonies

Was the Netherlands’ 1-2-3 sweep your favorite moment from Day 1? Was it American alpine skier Bode Miller’s continued domination of the slopes? Or was it the stunning debut of 15-year-old Russian figure skater Julia Lipnitskaia, who dazzled in the women’s short program? Sound off in the comments!

1. fiona says:

How about the 1-2 Sister-Sister win in the Women’s Mogul!? =D

2. andy j says:

Watching Bob Costas announce the events with a straight face trying to build suspense when the results have been known for hours.

3. oberdelgado says:

Get to know Jessika Jenson. #USA rep in #Sochi2014 at the #Olympics2014. Good luck Jessika. goo.gl/6CFnvV pic.twitter.com/

4. Daisy says:

Off course the 1-2-3 in speedskating! Then again, I’m Dutch. ;-)

I also liked Bjoerndalen, getting his 7th Olympic Gold at age 40 in biathlon, respect!

5. kd86953 says:

I’m trying very hard to remain unspoiled so I can watch and enjoy in primetime! The time delay sucks and I don’t have the luxury of watching in real time so I appreciate what NBC does in primetime (build up stories, make things suspenseful). With all that said, I think my favorite moment was watching Davis & White’s GORGEOUS ice dance performance. Out of the four figure skating categories, ice dancing is the most underrated, and that makes me so sad. Watching them (and the others) makes me so jealous I didn’t pursue this type of figure skating when I was younger. Russia and Canada are neck-and-neck in team skating so it’s going to be fun watching them duke it out in the second half of competition. And hopefully USA can hold onto the bronze spot! Should be some fun skating ahead!!

6. Cassandra says:

Slopestyle is now officially in my top 3 favorite winter game events. I can’t believe they didn’t add it sooner. I’m amazed people are willing to jump off those slopes to begin with, I have no idea where they gather the courage to due those crazy tricks. I was also shocked to see a figure skater doing a routine to Shine on You Crazy Diamond. I never thought I’d see a performance to Pink Floyd at the Olympics.

7. Richard says:

Sven Kramer showed his supremacy at the 5k speedskating. The Dutch 1-2-3 sweep was unique.

8. Dennis says:

Kramer was amazing. Not anything came even close to his time!

9. S. from A. says:

As an Austrian I have to say the biathlon 10k Sprint. No one here expected a medall for Landertinger!

And everyone can win the training when you are the only one who actually races down the slope with full speed. On competition day everything is a little bit different. (;

10. CBWBDK1 says:

The dutch 1-2-3 sweep was epic! And FYI the illegal laneshift that caused him his medal wasn’t his fault. His trainer told him to shift lanes. His fault was trusting his trainer.

11. CourtTV says:

The biathlon was interesting.

12. hello says:

Ole Einar Bjoerndalen winning the gold in Biathlon becoming the oldest winner in a individual event in the Winter Olympics and is now tied with most medals won overall in a winter Olympics

13. Dominique says:

as a dutchie myself i can only agree that the 1-2-3 sweep was amazing. i expected sven to come first, but never thought we’d get all three places :D

14. olympicsnerd says:

Highlight: the Lapointe disters getting gold and silver in the women’s moguls. Great moment!

15. Anna says:

Watching Sage Kotsenburg win slope style snowboarding. He’s crazy, in a good way! Such a fun event to watch.

• wrstlgirl says:

By far this made me smile the most. Really fun to watch.

• catelyn says:

I loved that too. He just seemed so carefree and it looked like he had fun.

• The Beach says:

And his interview later with Costas was priceless. He was so fun and cool and how happy he was for the other two medal winners made you like him even more.

• kate'shomesick says:

That’s the great thing about the snowboard/skateboard/BMX -community…they ride together, they train together…it’s like a family. Yes it is competitive but at the same time they cheer for each other and real friendships are formed. Love it. Also most of those athletes really still do it for the fun and not for the fame, the money or the success. Style and creativity are more important than points and prices.

16. EJ386 says:

Dutchpride! How could it be anything else :)

17. Ally Oop says:

I enjoyed slopestyle snowboarding the most. Happy to see a Saskatchewan boy get the bronze medal!

18. megs says:

No mention of Sage Kotsenburg getting the first gold medal of the Olympics? Definitely my favorite moment. Also, the best decision I made all week was following him on twitter.
    Ashley Wagner’s sasstastic short program to “Shine on You Crazy Diamond” is a close second

• Sara says:

I agree with both of your choices! Ashley should have gotten her Olympic nerves out of the way (hopefully Jeremy Abbott and Jason Brown did as well) and hopefully will perform really well in the individual competition!

And Sage winning was totally awesome!

19. Belgje says:

The fourth place of Bart Swings in the 5k! Looking forward to the other speed skating events and really hoping for a Belgian medal. :D

20. I’m not sure exactly why but this blog is loading extremely slow for me.
    Is anyone else having this problem or is it a issue on my end?
    I’ll check back later and see if the problem still exists.

21. My brother suggested I might like this blog.
    He was entirely right. This post truly made my day. You can not imagine simply how much time
    I had spent for this info! Thanks!