Olympics Watch: What Was Your Favorite Moment From Sochi 2014, Day 1?

Get More: Recaps, Sports

sochi-olympics-sven-kramerDespite the jam-packed schedule of Day 1 in the 2014 Sochi Winter Games — five medal events in five different sports! — the standout moment for Dutch speed skater Sven Kramer is likely very easy to determine.

RELATED | Friday Ratings: Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony Down Vs. 2010

Today’s 5,000-meter men’s speed skating final wasn’t just a chance for Kramer to defend his gold medal from the 2010 Vancouver games. It was also a chance at redemption for the phenom, whose triumphant 2010 Olympics bid was marred by a disqualification in the 10,000-meter final (for an illegal lane shift).

RELATED | Heat Up the Sochi Winter Games With TVLine’s Olympic Bingo

But in his race against U.S. skater Jonathan Kuck, Kramer was once again in fine form, besting the opponent by nearly 21 seconds. Despite heavy competition from Russia’s athletes early on, the Netherlands’ resident powerhouse ultimately defended the gold — his fifth career Olympic medal — with teammates Jan Blokhuijsen and Jorrit Bergsma snagging silver and bronze, respectively.

The day on the ice wasn’t quite so victorious for Team USA, with Kuck only managing 19th place (out of 26). Similarly, U.S. competitor Patrick Meek nabbed 20th place, and 17-year-old Emery Lehman made his Olympic debut in 16th.

RELATED | Winter Olympics 2014: The Best and Worst Moments From the Sochi Opening Ceremonies

Was the Netherlands’ 1-2-3 sweep your favorite moment from Day 1? Was it American alpine skier Bode Miller’s continued domination of the slopes? Or was it the stunning debut of 15-year-old Russian figure skater Julia Lipnitskaia, who dazzled in the women’s short program? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (31)

• How about the 1-2 Sister-Sister win in the Women’s Mogul!? =D

Comment by fiona – February 8, 2014 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They made me proud to be Canadian today. :)

Comment by Becks – February 8, 2014 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh! Canada!

Comment by Moriarty's pocket protector – February 8, 2014 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was such a beautiful moment. Loved Justine and Chloe. It was such a thrill for Canada.

Comment by Jen – February 9, 2014 06:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This was my favourite part too. The sisters were so sweet holding hands on the podium.What a day for that family!

Comment by Cassey – February 9, 2014 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watching Bob Costas announce the events with a straight face trying to build suspense when the results have been known for hours.

Comment by andy j – February 8, 2014 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get to know Jessika Jenson. #USA rep in #Sochi2014 at the #Olympics2014. Good luck Jessika. goo.gl/6CFnvV pic.twitter.com/

Comment by oberdelgado – February 8, 2014 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Off course the 1-2-3 in speedskating! Then again, I’m Dutch. ;-)

I also liked Bjoerndalen, getting his 7th Olympic Gold at age 40 in biathlon, respect!

Comment by Daisy – February 8, 2014 11:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • More medals for us today too! :)

Comment by Eli – February 9, 2014 03:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m trying very hard to remain unspoiled so I can watch and enjoy in primetime! The time delay sucks and I don’t have the luxury of watching in real time so I appreciate what NBC does in primetime (build up stories, make things suspenseful). With all that said, I think my favorite moment was watching Davis & White’s GORGEOUS ice dance performance. Out of the four figure skating categories, ice dancing is the most underrated, and that makes me so sad. Watching them (and the others) makes me so jealous I didn’t pursue this type of figure skating when I was younger. Russia and Canada are neck-and-neck in team skating so it’s going to be fun watching them duke it out in the second half of competition. And hopefully USA can hold onto the bronze spot! Should be some fun skating ahead!!

Comment by kd86953 – February 8, 2014 11:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Slopestyle is now officially in my top 3 favorite winter game events. I can’t believe they didn’t add it sooner. I’m amazed people are willing to jump off those slopes to begin with, I have no idea where they gather the courage to due those crazy tricks. I was also shocked to see a figure skater doing a routine to Shine on You Crazy Diamond. I never thought I’d see a performance to Pink Floyd at the Olympics.

Comment by Cassandra – February 9, 2014 12:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sven Kramer showed his supremacy at the 5k speedskating. The Dutch 1-2-3 sweep was unique.

Comment by Richard – February 9, 2014 12:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kramer was amazing. Not anything came even close to his time!

Comment by Dennis – February 9, 2014 01:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As an Austrian I have to say the biathlon 10k Sprint. No one here expected a medall for Landertinger!

And everyone can win the training when you are the only one who actually races down the slope with full speed. On competition day everything is a little bit different. (;

Comment by S. from A. – February 9, 2014 01:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The dutch 1-2-3 sweep was epic! And FYI the illegal laneshift that caused him his medal wasn’t his fault. His trainer told him to shift lanes. His fault was trusting his trainer.

Comment by CBWBDK1 – February 9, 2014 02:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The biathlon was interesting.

Comment by CourtTV – February 9, 2014 04:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ole Einar Bjoerndalen winning the gold in Biathlon becoming the oldest winner in a individual event in the Winter Olympics and is now tied with most medals won overall in a winter Olympics

Comment by hello – February 9, 2014 05:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • as a dutchie myself i can only agree that the 1-2-3 sweep was amazing. i expected sven to come first, but never thought we’d get all three places :D

Comment by Dominique – February 9, 2014 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Highlight: the Lapointe disters getting gold and silver in the women’s moguls. Great moment!

Comment by olympicsnerd – February 9, 2014 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watching Sage Kotsenburg win slope style snowboarding. He’s crazy, in a good way! Such a fun event to watch.

Comment by Anna – February 9, 2014 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • By far this made me smile the most. Really fun to watch.

Comment by wrstlgirl – February 9, 2014 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved that too. He just seemed so carefree and it looked like he had fun.

Comment by catelyn – February 9, 2014 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And his interview later with Costas was priceless. He was so fun and cool and how happy he was for the other two medal winners made you like him even more.

Comment by The Beach – February 9, 2014 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s the great thing about the snowboard/skateboard/BMX -community…they ride together, they train together…it’s like a family. Yes it is competitive but at the same time they cheer for each other and real friendships are formed. Love it. Also most of those athletes really still do it for the fun and not for the fame, the money or the success. Style and creativity are more important than points and prices.

Comment by kate'shomesick – February 9, 2014 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dutchpride! How could it be anything else :)

Comment by EJ386 – February 9, 2014 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed slopestyle snowboarding the most. Happy to see a Saskatchewan boy get the bronze medal!

Comment by Ally Oop – February 9, 2014 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No mention of Sage Kotsenburg getting the first gold medal of the Olympics? Definitely my favorite moment. Also, the best decision I made all week was following him on twitter.
    Ashley Wagner’s sasstastic short program to “Shine on You Crazy Diamond” is a close second

Comment by megs – February 9, 2014 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with both of your choices! Ashley should have gotten her Olympic nerves out of the way (hopefully Jeremy Abbott and Jason Brown did as well) and hopefully will perform really well in the individual competition!

And Sage winning was totally awesome!

Comment by Sara – February 9, 2014 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The fourth place of Bart Swings in the 5k! Looking forward to the other speed skating events and really hoping for a Belgian medal. :D

Comment by Belgje – February 9, 2014 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not sure exactly why but this blog is loading extremely slow for me.
    Is anyone else having this problem or is it a issue on my end?
    I’ll check back later and see if the problem still exists.

Comment by cylex-usa.com – February 11, 2014 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My brother suggested I might like this blog.
    He was entirely right. This post truly made my day. You can not imagine simply how much time
    I had spent for this info! Thanks!

Comment by jollyardor2938.beeplog.com – February 22, 2014 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post