Fox Cancels The X Factor After 3 Seasons

The X Factor CancelledX no longer marks the spot: Fox has cancelled The X Factor after three seasons.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

“I’ve had a fantastic time over the last 12 years, both on The X Factor and American Idol,” said executive producer and judge Simon Cowell in a statement. “And apart from being lucky enough to find some amazing talent on the shows, I have always had an incredible welcome from the American public (most of the time!). Last year, for a number of reasons, I had to make a decision to return [for the first time in four years] to the U.K. version of The X Factor in 2014. So for now, I’m back to the U.K. and I want to thank FOX for being an incredible partner and I also want to thank everybody who has supported my shows. America, I’ll see you soon!”

Despite Cowell’s pre-launch promises that The X Factor would be the No. 1 reality singing competition in the U.S., his British import never had the kind of impact he’d hoped.

The Season 3 finale was watched by only 6.2 million people — and scored a 1.7 demo rating — marking year-to-year declines of 36 and 45 percent.

Meanwhile, the show failed to produce a Kelly Clarkson- or Carrie Underwood-level success. Season 1 champ Melanie Amaro’s first three singles flopped, and her debut album never saw the light of day, while Season 2 winner Tate Stevens was also dropped from the Sony label roster after meager sales results.

The show’s spiraling ratings led to a slew of changes during its three-season run. Mentors Paula Abdul and Nicole Scherzinger — as well as host Steve Jones — were axed shortly after Season 1 ended. The addition of Britney Spears and Demi Lovato to the panel in Season 2, however, did little to boost the show’s creative or ratings prognosis.

The show did manage to produce two modest chart successes — groups Fifth Harmony and Emblem3 — and it’s worth noting that promising Season 3 victors Alex & Sierra are still in the studio working on their debut disc.

Thoughts? Are you relieved the ailing patient has finally been euthanized? Post your thoughts/feelings/eulogies below!

1. joey says:

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. karenb says:

Ohhh yeahhhh Steve Jones. Forgot all about that guy

3. Mark says:

Two things killed X-Factor: The Voice and Simon’s ego. With The Voice going to Fall and Spring seasons, and with the corpse of AI still on life support, the market was just too crowded with singing competitions. Oversaturation means something had to get squeezed out. It takes too many hours to watch all of the shows, and right now The Voice is just a better show. Head to head, X-Factor didn’t stand a chance against the competition.

The number of shows also dilutes the talent pool. The Voice’s reliance on more established performers and AI’s legacy gave them a huge advantage in attracting talent.

On a different note, Simon made so many bad decisions along the way. LA Reid may be an industry genius, but he has a terrible presence on TV. Paula was DOA–we knew her limitations from her days on Idol. Nicole Scherzinger was totally unqualified to mentor talent, and wholly unable to make tough decisions. These people were picked not because they could make the show better, but merely because their names and faces were supposed to draw eyeballs to the show. They were all train wrecks.

The replacements were no better. Brittany was all hype with no personality that could translate to live TV. DOA. Demi was too young to be mentoring people her own age or older–she lacked credibility. She did turn out to be a decent presence on the panel, but her decisions regarding talent, song choices, and staging were atrocious. And yet, she was brought back for a second season.

Do we really need to discuss Paula Rubino? Really? I didn’t think so.

Kelly Rowland was the one good choice Simon made, but she falls in the category of too little too late.

Now let’s talk about the live shows. Simon fell for the notion that nothing succeeds in America like excess. If bigger is better, than humongous is perfection. Too much lighting, too many dancers, too many back up singers (why do groups need back up singers?), too much reliance on costumes and staging that mostly obscured and in some cases overwhelmed the talent.

And that brings me back to the talent. There was too much of an emphasis on finding young talent. Sure, there was an over the hill group, and they managed to produce one winner and another two finalists, but all the praise was reserved for performers in their teens and early twenties. Simon wanted a teen or group of teens to win. He wanted them to be young, pretty, and never really mattered if they had any talent. He was casting for an image, and I guess he figured he could overproduce and autotune their records to produce hits.

But the audience for these shows is older. The average age for all three of these singing shows is around 45. These viewers aren’t interested in a teeny tiny hit machine. And that is what Simon never understood.

4. GrumpyOl'Lady says:

I wanted XF to succeed because, in theory, it was a multi-generational singing contest that was open to the public in reality and not name only. I wanted to see groups compete with singles, I wanted real mentorship, and I wanted to see “up-close-and-personal” spots with, say, the top 10.
    I recall watching a short bit on Idol, where Wolfgang Puck tried to get Kelly Pickler to eat snails; I loved that bit. And that’s from someone who never watched Idol up till a couple of years ago. XF could have picked up on that, instead of focusing on…whatever it focused on. No drama, no tears, no bloomin’ “I’m doing it for my two-year-old” who doesn’t give a hang if your a well known singing artist, only that you bring hugs and kisses on a daily basis.
    But most of all, I wanted professionalism from XF, but that wasn’t to be. From the ground up, the show was mismanaged. I wanted XF to end on a high note, befitting the presumably last winners (because we all knew XF was doomed) Alex and Sierra. But no, they even had to screw that up with the “annoying juice” bit.
    We don’t always get what we want, and in XF’s case, we didn’t get what a show needed to continue—a modicum of class, winners who at least have a chance in the business, and likable judging personalities.
    Simon Cowell let his project fail. But then again, isn’t he the one who didn’t take on Spice Girls because he thought they wouldn’t amount to much?

• Irene says:

Oh yeah. He rejected the Spice Girls. And Take That (which turned out to be a good thing because he didn’t wanna take Gary Barlow in & they were better off without him). And Busted. And then he desperately tried to make a new girl group (Girl Thing, who were a rip-off of the Spice Girls). They didn’t work out and that blew up in his face.

5. GrumpyOl'Lady says:

Oh and one more thing–I had the first sneaky feelings of foreboding when XF lowered the age minimum to what, 12? That was a bad decision which led to the kind of drama that one could expect, and did happen. Cowell mistook that kind of drama for the type that translates out into viewership. That might have worked in his other shows, but it wasn’t going to fly in the US.

6. drew says:

This is stupid. The X Factor is way better than The Voice and American Idol. Maybe they’ll make a Y Factor? I hope they go to a different channel. And cancel Glee. It’s rating was like .9

• David E says:

I’m with you on it, Drew. We should definitely be out there protesting. You know, like holding up boards that says Save The X Factor, Bring The X Factor Back,
      and Bring Back The X Factor. Don’t you think we should write some letters to Fox about letting another channel to pick it up for a fourth season as a revived series?

• Zach says:

Agree.

7. I definitely think The X-Factor was the over saturation of singing shows and I don’t think any shows after this will do well either. Leave it to American Idol and The Voice and lets call it good.

8. dave says:

Simon knew he was on a sinking ship, so he made a suttle eXit to the UK along with the $116 million deal he made for the show which was 2yr short of the 5yr deal he made with Fox.

Oh and the personal reasons, X Factor UK was getting trounced by Strictly Come Dancing UK each year, even worse when the Doctor Who 50th followed Strictly, X Factor had its worse ratings that night, so now him coming back & supposedly Cheryl Cole too

9. Amy says:

Three little words– About. Flippin’. Time!
    With high expectations, I checked out X-Factor it’s first night, first year…only to switch the channel, never to return again. Those 3 minutes told me all I needed to know…it was the cheesiest, phoniest, most fake-hyped up and overblown production of all the singing competitions. Simon–“Sorry!”…”wuhhst, show, eva…I’m afraid it’s the end of the road for you.'”
    Bah-bye.

10. Shawn says:

What killed the X-Factor? Well for one the Voice debuted first. The first season of the Voice started in the spring of 2011 whereas the first season of the X-Factor started in the fall of 2011. The Voice started when the 10th season of American Idol was airing and smartly made it so that it didn’t air opposite Idol ( Idol was on Wenesdays and Thursdays and the Voice was on Mondays and Tuesdays), so that way the Idol watchers could tune into the Voice without having to miss Idol, and while it started while Idol was on it had started at a time when people were interested in singing competitions. While a singing competition like Idol, but the Voice had a different format which allowed itself to establish itself as an alternative to Idol before the X-Factor aired a single episode.
    While the Voice had managed to establish itself as an alternative to Idol the X-Factor never got the chance to do so. The Voice debuted first thus allowing itself to be able to claim it is an alternative to Idol. Also as mentioned above the Voice debuted while Idol was airing it’s 10th season so many people who were watching Idol at the time could also check out the Voice so see what it’s about, X-Factor on the other hand didn’t debut until the following September and by the Idol audience had moved onto other things and probably wasn’t ready to watch a singing competition until Idol returned that winter. While the Voice established itself as an alternative to Idol with a different format, X-Factor was like American Idol on steroids. There was the auditions which were a lot like the American Idol auditions except they were done in front of an audience and allowed music to play instead of A capella. There were also the delusional people who think they could sing, the people who just wanted their 15 minutes of fame kind of like Idol. Not to mention that two of the judges were also known as having been judges on American Idol(Paula and Simon). The bootcamp was a lot like Hollywood week, and the new stuff like the Judges Houses and the breaking up into categories just fell by the way side. There is really no need for me to go into how the show was overproduced and seemed to love trainwrecks.
    So while the Voice successfully established itself as an alternative to Idol, the X-Factor just wasn’t have to distance itself from Idol to establish itself as an alternative.

11. Bob Johnson says:

Thank g-d.

12. Karen says:

I’m just hear crying my heart out I love that show and one of my dreams was to be on it this year or next year.Hopefully Simon returns next year because he is one of the people I would like feedback from. :'(

13. Donnie Starkey says:

Ten times better than idol and factor gets canceled, there is something wrong with TV exs these days. Idol should be axed cause it sucks these days.

14. David E says:

Bring Back The X Factor, please!!!

15. David E says:

Hey, Karen! Don’t you think we should all go out and protest to save The X Factor with our friends and our families? What if Simon won’t return next year?

16. Zach says:

I loved the X factor stupid fox.

17. galet09 says:

I’m SO not over reality tv at all. I still love American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance and the greatest of the singing competitions, The Voice. Am SO glad The XFactor got cancelled. After they cut two of my faves from this past season, Lillie and Josh, that was it for me. Lillie was an incredible vocalist and the best voice on the show while young Josh had oodles of star potential and should have stayed a lot longer. Some of the decisions made on the show by the judges showed bad judgement.

18. Jordan says:

Hey guys! Check it out!
    the-x-factor-usa.wikia.com/wiki/Season_1
    the-x-factor-usa.wikia.com/wiki/Season_Two
    the-x-factor-usa.wikia.com/wiki/Season_Three
    tv.yahoo.com/news/x-factor-cancelled-fox-three-seasons-000007123.html
    uk.celebrity.yahoo.com/gossip/omg/the-x-factor-usa-cancelled-simon-cowell-return-uk-show-103824281.html
    uk.celebrity.yahoo.com/news/x-factor-usa-cancelled-network-cans-simon-cowell-001558572.html
    Let’s leave our comments on all of them.

19. Jordan says:

Wait! there’s more. Let’s leave our comments on The X Factor Canceled By Fox After 3 Seasons on Wetpaint. There are 274 comments on that website.

20. Greg says:

Bring back The X Factor, Celebrity Family Feud, XFL, WCW, ECW, AWA, Catchphrase, Strike It Rich, Take Me Out, College Bowl, The Dating Game, Unsolved Mysteries, America’s Most Wanted, I’m a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here!, Forensic Files, Skating with Celebrities, Skating with the Stars, The Jeremy Kyle Show, The Real Housewives of D.C., Fun House, Deal or No Deal, The Weakest Link, Beauty and the Geek, MADtv, American Gladiators, Live to Dance, American Dreams, The Tomorrow People, The Carrie Diaries, Soul Train and American Bandstand. Please.

21. Jimmy says:

The only reason why The X Factor had the lowest ratings is because of the Four Chair Challenge.

22. Agent 001 says:

Will someone please write some letters or emails to Fox about selling the rights to another network?

23. Im a 53 yr old retired stagehand. I love good entertainment. The X Factor is by far one of my favorite shows to watch. I think its a huge mistake to stop airing such a great show. It was never boring and full of great entertainment that kept you longing for more! Im very disappointed in the decision of fox. Also…im a very blunt and straight to the point person. .so I truly enjoyed Simon. Fox…youve made a HUGE mistake!!!!

24. Bring it back! Your bloody stupid if you dont fox!
    I love the v XFactor

• Billy says:

I agree with you, belIndamccutchen. The X Factor needs to come back next year!

• Micky says:

Let’s do a protest, already.

Hey, Belindamccutchen! if you’re reading this, why don’t you go on Google and type The X Factor USA Wiki Navigation – Wikia? You can find the page that says The X Factor cancelled February 9, 2014 by Kristiegirl. There are 7 comments on it so you can leave a comment on it to say Bring that show back!, ok?
        Why don’t you just make a campaign on twitter or on facebook?
        I think another network should bring The X Factor back for a fourth season. Do you?

25. Alexandra the Great says:

Damn you Fox! We want The X Factor on the Box!

26. Alexandra the Great says:

The only reason why the ratings went down was because of the four-chair challenge!

27. Captain Who says:

The American version of The X Factor deserves a second chance.

28. Janelle says:

I Loved X Factor USA!! It was different cause it was seperate do into categories and there was constant completion between the judges within the completion of the show. I am also a Huge Demi Lovato fan and loved the fact that I could see her every week in tv! The chemistry her and Simon had was fun to watch! I will miss it immensely! Hope it can come back soon, or at least something similar! Simon Cowell produces great Television shows! He is so real and says how it is- which some people need!!

29. The X Factor USA with or without Simon Cowell doesn’t matter.

30. Captain Augie says:

II actually enjoyed watching X Factor. I am sorry to hear of the cancellation.

• Go on Google and type The X Factor Wikia. On the page, you can find The X Factor cancelled that has 37 comments on it. You can leave a comment on this page if you want. Why don’t you make a campaign on twitter?