Exclusive

Once Upon a Time Exclusive: Witch Oz Character Will Show Up Next? Who Should Play Her?

Once Upon a Time Glinda Good WitchOnce Upon a Time‘s journey down the Yellow Brick Road will not end with the Wicked Witch.

Rather, we may be ramping up for a classic clash between evil and… good.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Bombshell: A [Spoiler] Is Coming — Ready, Set, Speculate!

Two months after it was announced that Lost alum Rebecca Mader would be “going green” to play a version of the Wizard of Oz novel’s infamous villainess, TVLine has learned that the ABC drama will also be introducing Glinda.

Casting is underway right now for an actress in her mid to late twenties to recur as the good witch, who is described as elegant, warm and benevolent, as well as wise, clever and shrewd.

That said, it sounds like Glinda might not be in fighting form when we first meet her. Rather, years of isolation have made her lonely and cautious — though at her core, she is a steadfastly filled with optimism.

PHOTOS | Once Upon a Time Spring Preview: Addled Emma, MIA Neal and Other Burning Qs Answered

This is where you do what you do: Lob out casting suggestions! I’ll get the bubble rolling with Sarah Carter, who next week wraps production (in Vancouver) on Falling Skies. Maybe Gossip Girl‘s Blake Lively? Or how about Megan Hilty, if they need her to belt out a tune?

1. ShawnF says:

second on Beth Riesgraf…I’d also suggest Briga Heelan from “Ground Floor”

2. Chris says:

What about Elizabeth Mitchell?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

She was my very first thought — pit two of Sawyer’s hook-ups against each other — but: “mid to late 20s.”

3. Ginger Snap says:

29 days until the return of OUAT – sigh.

4. Alice says:

Not another blonde, please. Let’s get a woman of color in this role.

• Stormy says:

NO. Why do people want to co-opt everything by white writers in the name of affirmative action? Glinda is iconic. This is not the place to force political correctness. JMO

• Alice says:

But that’s what they say about every character- how is representation ever going to get better on television if you insist on making every incarnation look like their previous version? I can love the show and still find its casting problematic- a giant magical fairy tale world- in which every single character is white? It’s not forced -there’s nothing in that character description that demands she be blond. We already have a ton of blonde Glindas.

• Stormy says:

Every single character hasn’t been white on OUAT. Lancelot was a man of color, Cinderella’s Fairy Godmother was black, as was the priest who married Snow and Charming and Neil’s fiance’ Tamara. They could easily have made one of the dwarfs black, or Jefferson, or Dr. Whale. But, IMO, Glinda is too iconic to change ethnicities. And it’s only my opinion. If they venture into the Aladdin story, I’m hoping they cast Sendhil Ramamurthy as Aladdin and Jonathan Adams as Jafar. I’m also hoping they get David Bowie to reprise his role as Jareth The Goblin King from Labyrinth but that’s beside the point.

• Meg says:

If they bring Jafar to OUAT I would assume they would use the same actor as they did in OUATIW.

• Stormy says:

I didn’t watch OUATIW, but those who did said he wasn’t very good. So, I have no opinion about that. I was always impressed with Jonathan Adams as the Director of the Jeffersonian in the early seasons of Bones and thought he’d make a good Jafar.

• Scooter Smith (@scoboot) says:

They already have a Jafar, on Once Upon a Time in Wonderland. He is played by Naveen Andrews from Lost. His father is the Sultan, played by Brian George (Raj’s Dad on Big Bang Theory) and Amir Arison (now the tech guy on The Blacklist, was the red herring Prince Farid bin Abbud in episodes 2 and 3 of Homeland’s first season).

But to your original points, Alice and Stormy, I agree that there is an abundance of white characters in Fairy Tales, and some of them can be changed because it is not something ingrained into the character, but on the other hand, some characters just shouldn’t be messed with. Think of Ariel from the little mermaid, if she wasn’t a redhead, no one would think of her as Ariel. If Prince Eric was a person of color, it wouldn’t be that big of a deal because he was more of a supporting player. The voice of Ursula was ACTUALLY done in the Ariel Episode by Yvette Nicole Brown. I mean they did something similar, the Jack from Jack and The Beanstalk was not a young boy, but a thieving female.

In my opinion, Glinda the good witch is one of those characters that has been around for so long, that if you try to make a drastic change to her appearance, you are going to have more bad than good reactions or worse, not recognizing who she is supposed to be until its spelled out. Because no buzz is worse than bad buzz. Why not have a story that shows that Rumple was transported to Oz, and it runs on a different timeline, like Neverland. So he has been there for many years, and established himself as “The Wizard”. Dorothy could be played by Annie Ilonzeh, The Scarecrow could be played by Rodrigo Santoro, The Tin Man could be played by Daniel Henney, and the Cowardly Lion could be played by Adam Beach. No one would really care.

Besides, maybe Glinda is going to be related to one of the other characters, and if she turns out to be, say, Henry’s Great Aunt (Charming’s long lost sister), it would just be somewhat weird if she was played by a Black Woman. How do you hint to that fact without Bluntly hitting us over the head with the story-line that Charming’s father had an affair with a black woman. Especially since we don’t even know WHO his father is. But based on Charming’s complexion, we can assume he isn’t Black.

• Midnight says:

Because there are so many blondes on OUAT. Emma and……Tinkerbell? Cinderella who was in like three episodes in Season 1? There are four blonde Disney princesses: Cinderella, Aurora, Rapunzel, and Elsa. We don’t have Elsa yet, but Aurora isn’t blonde and Rapunzel won’t be later this season. While there should be more diversity on the cast, I would not say there is an excess of blondes at the moment.

5. Samantha says:

Audra McDonald
    Or just for the heck of it, Kate Walsh!

6. LaLa says:

Lena Horne – oh, wait . . . (S/O to “The Wiz”!) ;)
    Seriously, Jurnee Smollett-Bell, America Ferrera, Erica Hubbard, Camille Winbush, Bianca Lawson . . .

7. Amy says:

Honestly I’d just like for it to be someone with a strong ‘fanbase’ to see a boost in the ratings…especially given that I’ll assume the character will be popping up in episode 19. I know the plan is to base this OZ of the books more and Glinda wasn’t in the books much so I’m interested to see what they do with her character….

8. Lia says:

I don’t understand why so many comments add the actress’ singing ability as a relevant skill considering OUaT is not a musical and we haven’t heard a single person singing on the show. Are you casting people for Wicked the play (since there is no TV show) or Glee?

Anyway, I loved some suggestions, but please keep Blake Lively and Sarah Lancaster away from my favorite show! :P

9. Lets keep with the Lost theme and go Maggie Grace!

10. Amie says:

Megan Hilty!

• Amie says:

Megan Hilty is 32, byt the way. My other choice — Alison Brie — is 31. But I think they can all play younger if they need to. I also wonder if Laura Osnes can come over from Broadway, because she would be perfect, too. And she’s a magical 28!

11. Gerald says:

I know they have made the wicked witch a red head, but most everyone is on board with casting a blonde for the good witch. I hope they stick with that and don’t mix it up. Megan Hilty or Dianne Argon would be good.

12. Scooter Smith (@scoboot) says:

Personally, I hope this is a misdirect for Glinda’s or Elphaba’s daughter. I was really kind of hoping that we would find out that “Blue” or Mother Superior is Glinda. And that Elphaba is the “Dark Fairy” whose wand they took away, so she learned Dark Magic that didn’t need fairy dust and became the Wicked Witch.

• Meg says:

The writers have said previously that Rebecca Mader’s character will not be going by the name Elphaba.

• Scooter Smith (@scoboot) says:

I had heard an interview with them where they called her Elphaba. That is weird.

• Meg says:

From Matt’s article in January:

WHY IS THE WITCH WICKED?
          With the introduction of Lost alum Rebecca Mader’s emerald enchantress, expect “lots of backstory” on the spring season’s Big Bad. “Whether that unfolds in Storybrooke, the Enchanted Forest or Oz — or all three — remains to be seen,” Horowitz teases. (And no, this Wicked Witch is not also known as Miss Gulch, Elphaba or any other familiar name, but one of Once’s own creation a la the Evil Queen’s mum Cora.)

13. Kiki says:

Emma Rigby would rock. I know she plays a very different character as the Red Queen on OUATinWonderland, but her Anastasia is very warm — and she looks like good witch!

14. dude says:

She may be busy with Bitten but Laura Vandervoort is my number 1 pick. Plus, she’s in Canada. Blake Lively is a HELL NO.

15. BTM says:

Kristen Bell?
    Gabby Sibourney?
    Riki Lindholme?

16. Rotasevian says:

On the topic of OuaT, how interesting would it be if they made Emma’s return to her family a parallel to Dorothy’s visit to Oz?

17. Alicia says:

I actually think they could go for someone with a different hair color or ethnicity, but I do think that Glinda needs to be someone who is recognized by a wide audience of people like some of the big guest stars. Whoever mentioned Bethany Joy Lenz, I would pick her or Megan Hilty on the principal that even though OUaT isn’t Wicked or a musical it would be cool if they could show a character who can sing. I know a lot of people have put Dianna Agron as choice and I think she is great actress, but as far as her ability to singing it is far below the other options and even though I love Glee she was the weakest vocalist of the main characters in Season 1.

18. april-ann says:

“Mid to late 20’s”, so I guess that means she’d play, what, 16 or 17? LOL. It sounds definite that she has to be mid to late 20’s so in that case my choice would be a clone of Becki Newton about ten years younger than Becki Newton.

19. Nikki says:

Erin Cardillo

20. Emma Watson , Nikki Clyne, or Jordan Hinson(EUREKA)

21. Jandyn Schreiner says:

Jewel Staite would be an awesome Glinda!

22. scar says:

Maybe Adelaide Kane? Or Natalie Dormer, but she’s also my dreamcast for Elsa. Yvonne Strahovski would be cool, too.

23. mayra says:

Cote de pablo should be on your show js

24. Lisa says:

I’d liove to see and hear Megan Hilty. She deserves to be on a hit show. If she sings it is a bonus!

25. Sally woods says:

Vanessa Hudgeons or any of the actresses from Disney

Miley Sirus aka Hanna Montana
    the one from Lizzy McGuire
    the one from Wizzards
    the one from Sunny

30. Erin says:

Lea michele would be perfect!

31. Liza says:

Amanda seyfried

32. Cher-l says:

How about Julianna Hough? She’s young and very pretty!

33. Ebony Kaminski says:

I would love to see Angel Coulby from Merlin! She’d make a really great Glinda!

34. Amara says:

Allison mack could take that role to new heights,it would make the show awesome #blakelivlycantackforsh!t