Exclusive: Barry Sloane Enters Pilot Season Derby as His Revenge Fate Hangs in the Balance

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

BARRY SLOANEBarry Sloane is a wanted man.

Word that the Revenge co-star is testing the pilot-season waters this year has catapulted the actor atop casting directors’ wish lists, while also raising questions about his future on the ABC soap.

According to sources, Sloane got the OK from both ABC and his Revenge bosses to entertain offers this pilot season — but don’t go administering last rites to Aiden just yet. I’m told the UK native has an option to return in Season 4 (assuming there is a Season 4), and producers expect to exercise that option in some form (i.e. if not as a regular, possibly as a recurring guest star).

In the meantime, Sloane is expected to get offers in the coming days on a number of high-profile projects, including the Steven Spielberg-produced drama The Visitors (which, coincidentally, is set up at ABC).

Sloane joined Revenge as an ex-love of Emily VanCamp’s Emily early into Season 2 and was quickly promoted to a series regular. He survived a round of pre-Season 3 cast cuts, and remains a key figure in Em’s vengeance scheme (not to mention her love life).

Revenge returns from its winter break on Sunday, March 9.

Comments (69)

• Ugh, thank god. Am I right?

Comment by Guy – February 5, 2014 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You definitely are.

Comment by aa – February 5, 2014 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hallelujah!

Comment by Valerie – February 5, 2014 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, yes, yes! Glad he is gone..

Comment by Nick – February 9, 2014 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re wrong. I like Aiden.

Comment by Justin – February 5, 2014 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes. Get rid of him!

Comment by Sarahliz1624 – February 5, 2014 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! You are completely right. He’s my most hated character on Revenge.

Comment by rarefied – February 6, 2014 12:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Indeed!

Comment by Whatevah – February 6, 2014 03:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Definitely! This has been long overdue. Good riddance Aiden.

Comment by GuyAwks – February 6, 2014 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No! I love Aiden! He’s the only person right for Emily.

Comment by Natalie – April 14, 2014 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There BETTER be a season 4 with or without him

Comment by nateddog – February 5, 2014 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please take him. Take him and every irrelevant character on that show.

Comment by catelyn – February 5, 2014 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love him and Aiden. I’ll be sad if he won’t be on as a regular. But hope he snags a good one!

Comment by Cally – February 5, 2014 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree on all accounts

Comment by Liz – February 5, 2014 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nooo nooo noooo nooo!!!Aiden doesnt have to go!!!!Hes the best character created on Revenge!!!I like Aiden, hes cool, tough and would do everything for Ems!!!If he is not be on season 4 if ever theres season 4 then i wouldnt have even a glance watching Revenge coz it turned out like a soap opera and Emily and Daniel are getting like Conrad and Victoria even worser!!!No please dont let him go!!!!

Comment by OnlyAiden – February 8, 2014 02:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooooooo!!! This might mean that Jack will end up with Emily.

Comment by woodyinho – February 5, 2014 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Which is a problem why?

Comment by Radha – February 6, 2014 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He’s boring as f*** and has grown into an annoying, sanctimonous prick? Not that Aiden is much better, mind you. I’d rather she didn’t end up with neither. Sadly, it’s all been set up for her to end up with Jack anyways, so bleh

Comment by Bee – February 6, 2014 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Aiden going doesn’t mean that Ems is doomed to stay with Jack’s bag.

Comment by Nick – February 9, 2014 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Might mean”? Have we been watching the same show? Jack has, and always will be, endgame. The writers couldn’t have made it any clearer.

Comment by GuyAwks – February 6, 2014 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • might? the plan was always for jack to end up with emily. if that’s not obvious, i don’t know what show you’re watching.

Comment by hannah – February 13, 2014 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is fine by me. I liked him in S2 but this season he has become insufferable. Besides, regardless of the revenge agenda, any normal guy would be beyond angry that his love is with someone else. That storyline is not sustainable in the long run. Only down side is that this would potentially leave Jack free to pursue Emily which would be all kinds of wrong since he’s now has a girlfriend.

Comment by Babygate – February 5, 2014 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best thing that could happen to the show is getting rid of Aiden. His out-of-the-blue introduction was one of the first big missteps of the second season.

Comment by FatherOctavian – February 5, 2014 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! Aiden’s SL should have been over in S2. Good luck to Sloane.

Comment by Cami – February 5, 2014 11:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If he must leave revenge I sure hope he gets a new show, will miss having him on my tv!

Comment by sara – February 5, 2014 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good riddance. He should have never been brought back. They only did it to stretch storyline since it seems they are so desperate to keep this show going, even though it’s time to wrap it up. They are likely going to do Jack and Emily at some point so there’s definitely no room for him now. Never liked Aiden and never liked Barry’s acting.

Comment by Red – February 5, 2014 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Aiden! Love him and Emily together too, will be sad if he’s gone for good!

Comment by kacie – February 5, 2014 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Back to the Nolan and Emily revenging duo. Glad the whiny obsessed freak will be leaving. He’s been nothing but a distraction.

Comment by Cee – February 5, 2014 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Barry Sloane! I am torn up between him and Jack. But def prefer Aiden over Daniel.

Comment by Amanda – February 5, 2014 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He was fantastic in season 2 but the character has now overstayed his welcome. He is great though and I’d love to see him in something else. Jack & Emily FTW!

Comment by Ella – February 5, 2014 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t stand Aiden. He needs to go!

Comment by alistaircrane – February 5, 2014 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would any casting director want him? He has half the charisma of a dead fish.

Comment by Et al – February 5, 2014 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually like Aiden but seems I’m in the minority. It will be interesting to see what they will do with that character if he goes to another show, especially if there is talk of a guest role later. I don’t know if I would like that — if Aiden goes, just have him gone.

Comment by jenny – February 5, 2014 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Aiden. Definitely don’t want to see Barry Sloane leave the show.

Comment by Bridgette – February 5, 2014 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Aiden! Show is a hot mess though can’t blame him for looking elsewhere

Comment by Jenny – February 5, 2014 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good, get rid of him!

Comment by Diz – February 5, 2014 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never liked him. The way he acts is just awful and his akcent is just pain for my ears.

Comment by Maki – February 5, 2014 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please someone take him off Revenge! More Nolan!

Comment by N – February 5, 2014 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d rather Daniel go as opposed to Aiden. I still have hope for the latter to be endgame with Emily despite all the nonsense.

Comment by William – February 5, 2014 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the actor, but the show hasn’t used him particularly well. I’m glad he has the opportunity to move onto bigger and better things. I do hope, if he ends up leaving, that they give him a good send-off…I still have a soft spot for Aiden, even if I’ve given up on the show.

Comment by Kerry – February 5, 2014 11:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You can’t blame Barry, it’s not like the show use him well. We see loads of new characters for the back 9 lined up, I assume Barry will have time to audition
    No doubt the “well Jack was always endgame ” brigade will be happy – but I liked Aiden, especially in S2 they just messed with him in S3 but he’s still the most realistic endgame for Em .

Comment by Mimmi – February 6, 2014 02:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The writing was always on the wall: so many new characters to fit in, and Aiden with no reason to stay in the Hamptons but Emily. Christmas has come early for Jack and Emily fans, that’s for sure.

Comment by Elouise – February 6, 2014 03:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I will laugh my socks off if they spend season four doing Jack and Emily, and Aiden swoops in at the end like George Clooney in ER.

Comment by Mike – February 6, 2014 05:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree, Aiden got way too much screentime. Just accept that the producers would never have greenlit him seeking other roles if he was crucial to Revenge and Emily. The show was at it’s best for an entire season without him..

Comment by Sarah – February 6, 2014 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The glory days of season one are long gone, and they ain’t never coming back, no matter what happens to Aiden. The producers never bothered to develop him beyond Adjunct of Emily Number Three. No wonder the actor wants out.

Comment by Mike – February 10, 2014 04:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I figured once Niko puts together the pieces and knows Aiden is the one that killed her father that he’ll be a goner anyway.
    you know who they should take off and should have already a while ago anyway is Charlotte. she has no real plot points or purpose as a full time character on that show at all.

Comment by Rosa – February 6, 2014 02:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t disagree, but Charlotte is both a Grayson and Emily’s sister: she’ll be clinging on till the bitter end.

Comment by Elouise – February 6, 2014 03:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVED Aiden !! What a sham. Show didn’t use him well

Comment by Amy – February 6, 2014 03:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve loved Aiden from the start, but Barry Sloane deserves better than what they’ve been serving him this season. It’s no surprise at all that he’s taking his talents elsewhere.

Comment by Elouise – February 6, 2014 03:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Barry Sloane and his character on Revenge a lot but I wouldn’t mind seeing him in a bigger part elsewhere.

Comment by Poppy – February 6, 2014 04:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That season four option sounds like a smokescreen. My bet is they’re killing him off, which is why they reshot the proposal and stuck that foreshadowing in it. It’s a win for the actor, but it sure sucks for Aiden fans. That nauseating Jack and Emily ‘fairytale’ ending is now nailed on.

Comment by Mike – February 6, 2014 05:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nauseating? Hardly.

Comment by Radha – February 6, 2014 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hardly? Try extremely.

Comment by Mike – February 10, 2014 04:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • jack and emily were always going to be endgame. this would be nothing new.

Comment by hannah – February 13, 2014 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Barry Sloane! I do hope he gets a bigger role in another show. But also hope he continues as Aiden in Revenge too

Comment by Lyn – February 6, 2014 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s nice that ABC and the show is letting Barry Sloane test the waters.Also even if he gets a pilot it doesn’t mean that show will be picked up.Plus if he lands a pilot that’s on ABC depending on schedules he could do that show and Revenge.However in the season finale they might leave Aiden’s fate up in the air and that way if the actor leaves then the show could reveal the character died when next season opens or Aiden could just show up in the season premiere and then leaves.

Comment by Andrew Hass – February 6, 2014 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is no chemistry between his character and Emily. I can’t believe that we are to believe that they are somehow soul mates. They just don’t work together no matter how much TPTB force them down our throats. That said, I like Barry Sloan as an actor and hope to see him in roles that fit his personality better (ie. cold action hero). I wish Daniel would get killed off (Josh wants to go anyway), because you can detect the chemisrtry between the actors no matter how much Ms. van Camp and M. Bowman try to hide it. A murder mystery involving disgusting Daniel’s death and Emily somehow in charge of Grayson Global would be ironic, unusual and perhaps put some new life into the show.

Comment by queerbec – February 6, 2014 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He is so gorgeous.

Comment by Mikael – February 6, 2014 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What? No more Mr. Mumbles? Awww shucks…

Comment by Marc – February 6, 2014 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what I thought as well. How’s he gonna act in other, bigger productions if no one can understand him?

Comment by Julia – April 9, 2014 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He should be the next James Bond.

Comment by Dennis Jenkins – February 6, 2014 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy to see the actor attracting lots of interest from other shows, and I’d be even happier to see Aiden gone.

Comment by Kristina – February 6, 2014 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good, I’ve never been a fan of Aiden, he’s more cartoon than actual fully fleshed, rounded character. I just hope this doesn’t mean the snoozefest that is the Jack and Emily saga has to kick off full throttle again, I’m just starting to enjoy a less morose, more loved up Jack with Margaux. I’d love it if, after all the endless, mind numbing fighting between the different shipper camps, Emily didn’t actually end up with any of them. That would be too funny. Honestly, at the end of the series she should just take off with Nolan and they should start their own ‘Revenge School’ somewhere in Takeda’s memory. Aiden should die, Daniel should die and Jack should have his happy little bilingual family with Margaux and Carl.

Comment by The Real Amanda Clarke – February 6, 2014 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m not fussed either way but over here in the uk many of our soap stars leave for the US to find work and not many find success but well done to sloane, i’m optimistic he’ll be back onscreen soon after he departs revenge.

Comment by Kєssa (@iAmKessa24) – February 6, 2014 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope the writers kill him off and his appearances in Season 4 are pre-death flashbacks. There is really no reason for Aiden to still be on the show. Now I’m just counting down the days until Jemily happens.

Comment by GuyAwks – February 6, 2014 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • if there is no aiden, there is better no season four.

Comment by Noe – February 21, 2014 11:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Love Love Aiden!!
    I want him to stay! He and Em are awesome together :)

Comment by Tam – March 10, 2014 12:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Aiden & Em’s don’t end up together we will quit watching!!!! And we are 2 die-hard viewers!

Comment by Deb – April 14, 2014 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post