Post Mortem: The Originals Boss on Deadly Cliffhanger, Elijah's Choice and a 'Crazy' Return

The Originals Season 1 SpoilersThe following contains spoilers for Tuesday’s episode of The Originals. If you have yet to watch, avert your eyes. Everyone else, read on…

Another episode of The Originals, another witch down!

Sophie’s unexpected reunion with her dead niece went from happy to ugly on Tuesday night as Monique, without ever lifting a hand, made her aunt bleed from her eyes, ears and mouth — eek! — for being a non-believer and wanting to flee New Orleans.

RELATED | The Originals Season 1 Spoilers — Can Davina Be Resurrected?

Elsewhere, the other witches made sure Rebekah and Klaus were suffering, while Celeste made Elijah choose between saving one of his siblings or Hayley, who found out she and fellow crescent werewolf Jackson were betrothed from a young age. To top it off, Father Kieran found himself on the receiving end of an ugly hex.

Following a screening, executive producer Julie Plec answered some burning questions about Sophie’s status, Hayley and Elijah’s relationship, the show’s “crazy” return after the Olympics and much more.

IS SOPHIE REALLY DEAD? | “It seems so, yes. In this particular case, the witches haven taken their vengeance against a non-believer. I don’t think there’s much hope for her to recover, given that, more often than not, you need witch intervention to have a second chance at life.”

WHAT’S HAPPENING TO KLAUS AND REBEKAH? | “The next episode is actually really crazy. It’s new for us. It’s something we’ve never done before. We go outside of the Quarter, and we put Rebekah and Klaus into a trapped situation in a creepy, horrible, messed-up sanatorium back in the day. Genevieve, working between the two of them, enacts her revenge, and we’ll learn why Genevieve’s revenge is so specifically targeted towards Rebekah and what exactly she’s going to do to make Rebekah suffer as much as possible… [The witches] get as close to succeeding and tearing apart this family as possibly we’ve ever seen. The outcome of what the witches do to our Original family will have eternal repercussions for their dynamic.”

WILL ELIJAH FACE FALLOUT FOR PICKING HAYLEY? | “There’s a guilt attached to that. There’s a shame attached to that. There’s a logic attached to it, of course. When in doubt, save the baby. But it definitely drives him very hard to rescue his siblings in the next episode and to try to pull the family back together, even as it’s under assault.”

RELATED | The CW’s Midseason Plan: Beauty and the Beast‘s Spring Break, New Slots for Three Shows

The Originals Season 1 SpoilersWHAT WILL ELIJAH THINK OF HAYLEY AND JACKSON’S BOND? | “I don’t think he’s going to be very happy about it. [Laughs] We’ve got another few episodes before we return to the werewolf world. But just this idea of [Hayley's] attention falling towards these people and her sense of family unity drawing her towards them and away from the Originals is a lot for Elijah to handle… She’s going to be very determined to free [the werewolves from the curse]. And then ultimately, in success, there’s that whole [question of], ‘Who’s my real family? Who do I belong with? Where do I belong the most?’ And of course, her draw towards Elijah is both very alluring and also very forbidden. We’ll see if she decides to stick around the Quarter or head out to the Bayou.”

RELATED | Vampire Diaries Season 5 Spoilers — Bonnie’s Future

IS THERE HOPE FOR FATHER KIERAN? | “Everyone’s sure as hell going to try [to save him]. It’s not pretty. It’s definitely not going to be an easy thing to overcome… It’s a long-term disintegration of his psyche, so it won’t be just wrapped up in one episode.”

IF FATHER KIERAN BITES IT, WILL CAMI LEAD THE HUMAN FACTION? | “We’re setting up Cami to, in her own way, be offered a place at the table, so to speak. Whether she chooses to take it or not will be up to her.”

WHAT REALLY WENT DOWN BACK IN THE DAY? | “There’s a lot more story to be told about what happened in 1919. Next episode, we definitely get a little flavor of New Orleans at the end of the influenza epidemic of 1919. Then in the episode after that, we really dig into what happens during that period. We’ll see if Mikael got the message about somebody looking for him in the French Quarter.”

Comments (32)

• Does that mean we will see Sebastian Roche? I feel like he was underused on TVD.

Comment by Mick – February 4, 2014 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. He is much too good for what little he was used for.

Comment by Morgan – February 5, 2014 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the new wolves. I know Oliver screwed himself by setting up Rebekah but damn they were hot together!

Comment by Natalie – February 4, 2014 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Rebekah’s weakness is men. She makes out with the first attractive male she finds and pays for it. Didn’t feel sorry for her at all. Maybe she will learn.

Comment by Lena – February 4, 2014 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hayley is boring. I want to see her dead soon.

Comment by Ms Thing – February 4, 2014 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second that! I think i am the only one who doesn’t want her to get together with Elijah.

Comment by Sarah – February 4, 2014 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I third that. Her character has very little development and I feel she brings down the Original sibling, whom I would love to see developed as a family.

Comment by Alice G – February 4, 2014 11:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That sum up what I feel about Hayley. Glad to see I’m not the only one!

Comment by jess – February 5, 2014 06:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah the only thing worse then the acting of Hayley is that accent, just terrible, add pouting and mouthing everything around her (is she teething) and I would be glad to see her gone.

Comment by Nice try, but no thanks. – February 7, 2014 02:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Misleading headline. I was expecting the “crazy return” to be about Tyler.

Comment by alistaircrane – February 4, 2014 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Sophie is dead for good? Thank god.

Comment by dude – February 4, 2014 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Davina’s, dead, Sophie’s dead…I’m a very lucky boy! Now just kill Cami and I’ll be a really happy camper!

Comment by alistaircrane – February 4, 2014 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second this!

Comment by Abby – February 4, 2014 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While I’m thrilled that they’ve removed the two weakest characters–Sophie and Davina–from the canvas, I actually like Cami and think Leah Pipes does a great job with the role. So I’d hate to see her get the ax.

Comment by ChrisGa – February 4, 2014 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. I think they are using Cami with a lighter touch, but I like her. Davina and Sophie were dispensible characters. I think Davina was a little young, considering the more adult themes, so im not sure what place there would be for her long term. Im not gutted by losing any of these characters to be honest. Cant wait to see what happens with Celeste/Elijah/Hayley/Jackson. Jealous Elijah will be a treat. Loving this show!

Comment by Naazneen – February 4, 2014 10:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Davina will be back. the actress is already back on set so I think she will be back in the next episode

Comment by Daniel T. – February 4, 2014 10:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I actually dont have an issue with Davina, i just wonder at her role and her purpose long term? I see all the witches are slowly being eradicated. Sophie is gone, the elders were killed and as Celeste and co are this seasons big bad, they will not be long for this world. Meaning, Davina would be the only one left? IDEK. I like Davina. But i dont mind losing her

Comment by Naazneen – February 5, 2014 01:29 AM PDT
        • i third your statement about Hayley and Elijah

Comment by toni – February 4, 2014 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to disagree about Cami. Unless they turn her into a vampire, werewolf or anything, I will kepp her in the show.

Comment by Jeremy – February 4, 2014 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Davina is alive, she came back on episode 15 Le Grand Guignol and I agree Hayley and Elijah it will be distratous.

Comment by Valerie Mendez – March 5, 2014 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wouldn’t even bother killing Cami on screen. I’d just kill her character off and send her to a cemetery.

Comment by Viewer Like Me – February 4, 2014 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will seriously start a petition for Julie Plec to stop hurting Rebekah!!!! I mean come one why couldn’t she have just on make out session without betrayl written all over it. Instead of multiple Oos she ended up with multiple bites. Shame on you Julie Shame on you. About Sophie! I think she survived! Remember the spell with whom Sabine/Celeste prevailed over Davina’s neck breaking I think Sophie will use that as well or better said she already used that. Will be interesting to see Davina and Monique interact especially with Davina not being on that killing spree. And this week I like the Monique actress, in 1×05 she was soemhow to bland.

Comment by Maki – February 5, 2014 01:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Davina doesn’t come back as evil as Monique. It would break Marcel’s heart.

Comment by Lena – February 5, 2014 04:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please Plec, stop, do not force the couple Halijah, Hayley has to be with Klaus.Klaus wife said Davinia and and now the werewolf who says she is his wife, this is no accident. Here’s something, Klayley forever

Comment by Escarlata – February 5, 2014 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Davina! She’s one of the best characters on the show. I think she’ll side with the vampires. At least I’m hoping she will. I also like Cami. One of the best episodes of this amazing series.

Comment by b – February 5, 2014 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Elijah chose right. Rebekah and Klaus can’t be killed, Hayley and the baby can. Even if he didn’t have feelings for her he should still have picked her because of his niece. No interest in this forced arranged marriage nonsense. Would have been more interested in Monique if we’d seen a lot of her before. Don’t think Sophie is dead. Wish they’d give Cami a decent story. She just seems really whiny. If they turn her it’d be more interesting

Comment by Klaroline – February 5, 2014 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah the choice thing makes absolutely no sense when the characters are immortal and can’t be killed and one is not! Bad writing on that one!

Comment by Jason – February 5, 2014 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rebekah should be allowed to have a relationship that lasts more than an episode. I like that on TVD they didn’t destroy her relationship with Matt before she left for New Orleans.

Comment by Mikael – February 6, 2014 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Haley, and Cami and Davina. Sophie was alright too. I don’t want to see any of them “killed” off. I agree, I don’t really want to see Haley and Elijah together just because I’m sick of love triangles involving brothers (TVD, Reign).
    Are any of the writers actually catholic? A priest wouldn’t give a homily wearing a suit. And yeah it was pretty freaking sacrilegious to use the baptismal font and chalice for those purposes, bad catholics the lot of them.

Comment by janet – February 6, 2014 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Davina is alive, she came back in episode 15. I never was a fan of Hayley and Elijah .You just don’t mess around wit your bros baby mama regardless how he feels about her. So absolutely not!!!!!!.

Comment by Valerie Mendez – March 5, 2014 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree no more brothe swapping we saw that in tvd and its old…rebeka deservs a good man who wont betray her i think she is tunning she is rocking those stilletos not to mention that beautifull accent..she might be a bit of a bitch but she looks good while doing it

Comment by Chantall – March 7, 2014 02:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post