Pilot Scoop: The CW Orders Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Drama The Messengers

Get More: Pilots

It’s official: The CW will begin shooting logo-cw-300The Messengers next month.

The network has handed a pilot order to the sci-fi drama, penned by Teen Wolf scribe Eoghan O’Donnell.

The conceit: When a mysterious object crashes down to earth, a group of seemingly unconnected strangers die from the energy pulse, but then awaken to learn that they have been deemed responsible for preventing the impending Apocalypse.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Your Complete Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s In Them

O’Donnell serves as an exec producer alongside Basil Iwanyk (The Expendables), Kent Kubena and Ava Jamshidi.

Comments (26)

• sounds cool

Comment by nate – February 4, 2014 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope all of the effected are young good looking people!

Comment by Elliot – February 5, 2014 05:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The conceit? Do you mean the concept?

Comment by Carlie – February 4, 2014 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Conceit: (noun) something that is conceived in the mind; a thought; idea.

The term is being used correctly.

Comment by Evenmoor – February 4, 2014 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No it is not. A conceit as applied to an idea is elaborate or fanciful – this premise by comparison is the farthest thing from it.

Comment by mmm – February 4, 2014 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • whatever is correct, the fact is when you hear TV writers talk about it they use conceit all the time.

Comment by Elliot – February 5, 2014 05:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Word should be concept, not conceit.

Comment by Sebastian – February 4, 2014 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • See above comment.

Comment by Kyle – February 4, 2014 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So many grammar/spelling Nazis. Typos happen people, I’m sure we have all made them, sheesh.

Comment by wrstlgirl – February 4, 2014 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not a typo, honey, just vocabulary above your pay grade.

Comment by JJ – February 4, 2014 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Geez JJ, what did I ever do to you? I’ve always been very polite to you, this attack was uncalled for.

Comment by wrstlgirl – February 4, 2014 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “preventing the impeding” that doesn’t sound right.

Comment by Cesar88 – February 4, 2014 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did they already stopped and don’t remember or they must stop it now?

Comment by Cesar88 – February 4, 2014 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lol, the people who comment on these things. “Conceit” is a real word, and it is used correctly in the article above. I suggest you maybe spend your free time looking through a dictionary and learning things rather than trying to make other people look stupid.

Comment by jon – February 4, 2014 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know it’s a real word, and that it works, but that does not mean it is a good word for the usage. I just figured it was a typo because it’s one letter off of a word that should be used.
      Also, “deemed responsible” does not fit well in the “conceit”.

Comment by Sebastian – February 4, 2014 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lord, if you’re that big of grammar snob. May I suggest you just find another website? Since you apparently deem entire articles inadequate.

Comment by dude – February 4, 2014 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • People are so averse to learning something that stating a fact constitutes being a grammar nazi. I could see if it were the people saying “you guys are such idiots and have no business writing tvline articles”. But all i’ve seen is people pointing out the poor diction of the sentence. I think those that are offended by that are the ones who are truly overreacting.

Comment by justsaying – February 4, 2014 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll wait to see a trailer and/or pilot before deciding.

Comment by liz – February 4, 2014 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It sounds a thousand times better than the other pilots they ordered. Let’s hope this one is good and gets picked up to series.

Comment by Fabe – February 4, 2014 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Usually I would say there is no chance for CW to pull this off but with their latest projects being pretty solid and The 100 looking pretty good I could see this being huge.
    About the show it has this the4400 meets Heroes vibe. If the cast is good I will tune in for sure.

Comment by Maki – February 5, 2014 01:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find the English lessons more entertaining than this show will ever be.

Comment by Midori4 – February 5, 2014 02:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the should do a show about grammar instead.

Comment by Hannah – February 5, 2014 05:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here’s hoping the casting director for Teen Wolf has major input.

Comment by The Beach – February 5, 2014 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t know about the casting director but one of the writers of Teen Wolf is writing for this show and that’s why I’m more hopeful then I normally would be about a concept like this on the CW.

Comment by Ember – February 7, 2014 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are the CW ordering anything that is not Sci-Fi? Dont get me wrong I am a huge Sci-Fi fan but didnt Pedowitz recently say they realised they have pigeon holed themselves and will be branching out into other genres, or did I just hopefully imagine that statement?

Comment by Kate McKenna (@Katemadeleine) – February 5, 2014 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m more of a sci-fi fan as well, but they’re looking at comedies, and picked up a thriller called “identity”.

Comment by Ember – February 7, 2014 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post