Holy Schmidt! New Girl's Max Greenfield to Guest-Star on The Mindy Project

Get More: Casting News

Max Greenfield The Mindy ProjectThe Schmidt’s about to hit the fan on The Mindy Project.

New Girl scene-stealer Max Greenfield will guest star in an episode of The Mindy Project later this season, TVLine has confirmed.

Despite what my cheeky headline and lede implies, Greenfield will not be playing Schmidt. He will portray Lee, a hot player at a bar who is up to no good. (Hmm… sounds like Schmidt to me.)

The Mindy Project returns with new episodes on April 1; Greenfield’s guest appearance is tentatively slated to air April 22.

Comments (20)

• Can you really use the words “cross over” if he isn’t playing the same character? Regardless, I’m thrilled!

Comment by Bailey – February 3, 2014 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Huh? Why would you make the title and most of the article imply he was playing the same character only to say he’s not in the last line?

Comment by Nkg – February 3, 2014 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • so people will go to the page and so they will get more ad revenue, its a pretty transparent and slightly desperate tactic.

Comment by Alan – February 4, 2014 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE IT. I’ve seen Max Greenfield and Mindy Kaling interact IRL, and they’re amazing. Kind of wish he was playing Schmidt though.

Comment by neha – February 3, 2014 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s NOT a cross over.

Comment by Daniela – February 3, 2014 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish he was playing Schmidt. That’d be awesome.

Comment by Teag – February 3, 2014 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously, TVLINE,don’t say crossover if you don’t mean crossover.

Comment by Eli Fine – February 3, 2014 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish he play as Schmidt otherwise I don’t see the fun of the “cross over” correctly

Comment by bbmarti – February 3, 2014 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just laughed. ..it could still be Schmidt. We don’t actually know his first name but I could see it being Lee.

Comment by kate – February 3, 2014 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to agree with everyone here. I hate when we are being mislead. I would have love to see Schmidt on The Mindy Project.

Comment by Clarimar Colon – February 3, 2014 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Max Greenfield will be playing Schmidt on The Mindy Project, only his character will have a different name. The personality and mannerisms will all the same.

Comment by Ray – February 3, 2014 11:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ha thanks for changing it tvline

Comment by Nkg – February 3, 2014 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG all of you people are absurd.

Comment by KSM – February 3, 2014 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Says the person who just commented to be rude.

Comment by Mollysauce – February 3, 2014 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It would be so cool if he was actually playing Schmidt. These shows are quite similar so being in the same “universe” wouldn’t be that crazy.

Comment by AGB – February 3, 2014 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel like I just wished this into existence. To quote Madeline Kahn in Blazing Saddles, “It’s twue! It’s twue!” Definitely looking forward to April as it is with TMP, but even more so now.

Comment by scooby – February 4, 2014 12:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And I assumed that Max would be playing his character Ian from his guest stint on Happy Endings and would reveal that Peter was really Max from Happy Endings and they would kiss! Clearly that’s what the headline said. Boy, we commenters sure are a stupid bunch!

Comment by Aaron – February 4, 2014 05:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We sure are, cause I was thinking about Happy Endings too.

Comment by Hannah – February 5, 2014 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lee or Leo?? ;-) Glad he’s going to be on TMP – he and Mindy will play off each other really well.

Comment by Shannon – February 4, 2014 05:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Been rewatching VMars so I’m kind of in a Leo fog…

Comment by Shannon – February 4, 2014 05:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post