Ratings: Super Bowl XLVIII Is Most-Watched Telecast of All Time, New Girl Flirts With 26.3 Mil

Ratings Super Bowl 2014

Oops. Spoiler!

Despite representing the third-worst blowout in Super Bowl history, the Seahawks’ 43-8 win over the Broncos didn’t exactly crater in the ratings. In fact, it set a new record.

RELATED | Super Bowl 2014: Our Reviews of the Halftime Show and National Anthem — Plus: Your Votes for the Best Commercials

Based on final nationals, Super Bowl XLVIII drew an astounding 112.2 million viewers, making it the most-watched U.S. telecast of all time (beating 2011’s big game).

RELATED | New Girl Post-Super Bowl Recap: When Loves Try

Leading out of the big game, New Girl drew 26.3 million total viewers, per finals — up from last year’s late-starting Elementary (20.8 mil) and improving on the last comedy to score the apres-Super Bowl spot (The Office circa 2009, 23 mil) — and an 11.4 demo rating, which marks broadcast TV’s highest-rated comedy telecast since the May 2004 Friends series finale and the highest-rated scripted broadcast program since House’s post-Super Bowl outing in 2008.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine capped Fox’s night with 15.1 mil and a 6.9 rating.

1. Teri says:

What else was there to watch? Nothing.

2. Rebecca says:

As a Patriots fan, I thoroughly enjoyed the game and watching Peyton choke once again.

• Jillian says:

Too bad it wasn’t the Pats. I love watching Brady cry after each loss and complaining to the refs after each call.

• Rebecca says:

Lol ya I guess I must have missed some of those while I was busy celebrating championships from the Bruins, Celtics & Redsox in the past 10 years or so. ;)

• David4 says:

As someone who lives in Massachusetts, but not a Pats fan, I ask these simple questions….

The Pats lost to that? They couldn’t beat… them? Really? What does that say about the Pats?

3. after the snoozer bow i saw
    i would’ve preferred to watch paint dry
    it’s sad when even the national anthem doesn’t even pump you up
    my favorite part of the entire program was when it went off air

4. Eric says:

There was a fooseball game on yesterday?

5. jasie says:

Hope Brooklyn Nine Nine gets a great lift. It just feels to me that it should have lead out of the super Bowl and not New Girl. They should have switched spots imo.

6. Matt says:

At least Peyton still gets to the Superbowl in his late 30s, unlike Brady who’s continually crushed the hopes and dreams of New England since 2004.

7. Mare says:

Update: New Girl gets renewed for two more seasons because of those ratings

• John NYC says:

Because people were too lazy to change channels? Not likely.

Now if that translates into more viewers on their scheduled day they’ll get a boost.

• David4 says:

There was never any doubt that New Girl would get at least two more seasons. Fox has nothing and at least can charge more for the show because of this limited bump.

8. Ann says:

This post-Super Bowl spot was wasted on The New Girl. It should have gone to Brooklyn 99 and Enlisted. Brooklyn 99 just won a major award for Best Comedy and Enlisted is a brand new show relegated to Friday nights. Both shows could have benefited from that post-Super Bowl timeslot. The New Girl, however, is already dragging in it’s third season and is more likely to be losing viewers at this point, rather than gain viewers.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

At the time Fox announced the after-Super Bowl line-up (in mid-October), it had already delayed ENLISTED’s premiere by two months, to January. Would have been too huge a flyer to take, awarding that time slot to a show that could have cratered out of the gate.

They used to show a lot of pilots, most notably The Wonder Years. Last year, they played the 14th episode of a new show, Elementary, which isn’t much different from airing the 4th episode of Enlisted. I seriously doubt a few months of extra age is really a factor. But I’m pretty sure FOX put New Girl on instead of Enlisted because they screwed up, they didn’t have a place for it on the schedule and they’re set on not promoting it or anything that’s stuck on Fridays. If we were on the best timeline, Enlisted would have been airing on Tuesdays instead of Dads and it would have aired directly after the Super Bowl with Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Fair points (though WONDER YEARS was a huge TV lifetime/economy ago). Plus, ELEMENTARY had already been picked up for a full season by the time it landed the Super Bowl spot/was a known entity.

• Meg says:

it’s just New Girl, not THE New Girl. Other than that, I actually wish it had been The Mindy Project and B99… but that’s just me.

• FL says:

New Girl was awesome last night! Best episode of the season for me and Prince was so funny. And New Girl is actually getting a lot better and I really wish those who’ve stopped watching the show would stop commenting on it when they haven’t the seen the last few episodes.

• Lecholls says:

Yep, it was great. And the ratings are great. I love New Girl and B99, so I’m really happy they got lots of eyes last night.

9. ggny says:

Brooklyn Nine Nine should have got the slot right after the Superbowl

10. Guest says:

Dads should’ve gotten New Girl’s post super bowl slot.

11. Eddie says:

It almost definitely won’t happen, but I would L O V E for Parks & Community to get the Super Bowl slot with NBC next year!

12. Steven says:

New girl was amazing last night!!!

13. Mare says:

I hope this helps Brooklyn 999’s ratings in the future!!!!

14. Marianne says:

While not a completely exciting game, it was fun to make fun of what was happening with my family. The looks on the faces of some of the Broncos was priceless. And then they cut to Eli Manning in the stands and it was great. It was the same look he had when the Giants were losing one of their early games miserably this season.

15. I’ll take any opportunity I can to say Bronco Buster. It’s a fun phrase.

16. Britta Unfiltered says:

“Oops, spoiler!” Haha. Good one. I freaking love Russell Wilson. He is such a good kid. You gotta love a guy who volunteers regularly at children’s hospitals. My nephew recently got to spend some time with Russell Wilson during a Seahawks weekend as part of his wish from the Make A Wish Foundation. Saturday was spent at the practice facility, and Sunday was spent at a game on the sidelines and in a luxury box. Wilson was soooo nice to him and went out of his way to make sure my nephew felt special and was having a good time. They even put his name on a locker and had a jersey made specially for him with his name on it. It’s been a month since that event happened, but my nephew is still flying high from the experience. Russell Wilson is his hero now, and also mine too, since he was so good to my nephew.

17. FL says:

Woah what is with some of the hate on New Girl by Brooklyn Nine Nine fans, just because New Girl almost got double its ratings? New Girl’s like a half hour program and Brooklyn Nine Nine got promoted a hell of a lot more than it, so it just means that people didn’t wanna stick around for B99. And New Girl had one of its best episodes and made such incredible use of Prince, which I don’t think manyy comedies could have done.