Coca-Cola's Multilingual Super Bowl Ad Draws Some Outrage; Longer Version Set for Olympics

Coca-Cola Controversy Super Bowl AdOne divisive Super Bowl commercial that bubbled up some discussion will get a longer encore during the Winter Olympics.

Coca-Cola’s “It’s Beautiful” spot, in which “America the Beautiful” was sung in a multitude of languages over equally diverse imagery — including a vignette that is believed by some to feature a Super Bowl ad’s first same-sex couple — rubbed some viewers the wrong way by performing the United States’ unofficial national anthem in a language other than English.

RELATED | Super Bowl 2014: Vote for the Best Commercials

A simple Twitter search for “Coca-Cola” will surface much of the animated debate.

“‘It’s Beautiful’ is exactly what Coca-Cola is all about: celebrating the diversity that makes this country great and the fact that anyone can thrive here and be happy,” Katie Bayne, president of North America Brands for Coca-Cola said in a Sunday night press release. “We hope the ad gets people talking and thinking about what it means to be proud to be American.

“With ‘It’s Beautiful,’ we are simply showing that America is beautiful,” she said, “and Coke is for everyone.”

In a poll of TVLine readers, “It’s Beautiful” placed No. 5 among the game’s best ads. A longer, 90-second version will air during the opening ceremonies for the Olympic Winter Games, airing on NBC this week.

1. Travis says:

America is a land of immigrants. Most people here today are here because their ancestors immigrated to America at some point between 1607 and today. Sure there is a small group of Americans who are completely of Native American descent, but for most of us, we come from ancestors who immigrated.

As a country of immigrants we should embrace our past and encourage others to do the same. We can and should embrace the past while at the same time embracing the present. That’s why I loved the Coca Cola commercial “It’s Beautiful” during tonight’s Super Bowl.

Starting in the late 1890s my ancestors began immigrating to America from Italy, England, Germany and Quebec, I am proud of where my family comes from just as much as where we are today. If I was a first generation American who spoke both English and a native language such as French or Italian or German, I would be just as proud to speak that at times as I would to speak English.

Our food is a mixture of everyplace we have come from, why can’t our spoken word be as well?

I applaud Coca Cola for their commercial. I applaud them for having the guts to air it.

To those who attack it, you attack everything America is about.

• GildedRose says:

Beautifully said. My ancestors immigrated as well from Europe and they loved America. They fought in the wars. Many died in them and for America. I think the Coke ad was beautiful and inspiring.

• Andrea says:

Well said Travis.

• Becks says:

*slow clap*

• Joann says:

Thank you Travis for so eloquently stating my exact feeling. The religious right, the tea party, those that hate, are the worse of what America has to offer. We are so much more than that. I can’t wait to see the full 90 second version.

• Dreamrose says:

Intolerance for those who are different is a dreadful thing. I’m glad to live in a country where we’re have the liberty to express our opinions – even if we happen to disagree with what other people have to say. Bigotry of *all* stripes is something we must continually work to overcome.

I think the performance of “America the Beautiful” was wonderfully done, and I, too, look forward to the 90-second version.

• Keith says:

Liberals hate too

• J says:

@Joann: I find your comment that the “religious right” and the tea party are those that “hate” extremely offensive. Just as offensive, in fact, as those who,are complaining about this ad. As a member of the religious right, I am NOT one who hates those of any race or sexual orientation. God called us to love one another, not hate. Please don’t judge us all by the cruel and thoughtless (and frankly unbiblical) words of some. Just as I do not judge or attack the entire left based solely on those few who continually and viciously malign both my faith and my political beliefs. It is this type of generalization that feeds intolerance and hatred.

• Julie says:

I agree! We are a country of immigrants and most first generation can’t speak English but are still proud to be American and can sing the praises of our great country in their own home language.

• Whatevah says:

Standing O

• Big Mike says:

“We are a country of immigrants”. This is true. But if scientists are to be believed, then ALL life originated in the African region, meaning that outside of that area, EVERY country is a country of immigrants. America, Canada, Russia, Germany, Austrailia, Brazil……all countries of immigrants. Why is it that none of these other countries embrace the “country of immigrants” label that the US does? I understand that we may be late to the party, with only several hundred years of history/immigration, as opposed to the several thousand years that other countries boast. But the fact remains that, while there are still immigrants coming to this country now, a vast majority of people living in America were born to parents born in America, who were born to parents born in America.

I firmly believe that in the rush to accept everybody, America is losing its identity. The fact that this country bends over backwards to make newcomers feel at home, while at the same time making things awkward for born and bred Americans is a big problem.

Why have public schools banned Christmas? Why do I need to “press 1 for english”, when it should be expected that when I am calling a business in this country, they’d be speaking the language?

I am NOT saying kick immigrants out, don’t allow any new ones in, etc. Not at all. I am saying that expectations should be higher for them. In the 1920’s when people came to America, they were EXCITED to become citizens. They wanted to learn english, they wanted to learn the culture. They wanted to learn “the American way of life”. Immigrants these days do NOT share the same values. They want the country to change for them, and that is unacceptable.

Flame me all you want, I expect it. Just remember when you’re calling me names, and telling me how ignorant I am, that I politely expressed my opinion, without resorting to profanity or name calling. And also remember, that there are a lot of people that feel the same way.

• topoopon says:

Oh, and no Irish or Chinese need apply.

• meow says:

America is not losing it’s identity. This IS America’s identity. The most beautiful thing about America is that anyone can come here and be accepted. My parents are both immigrants but I was born and raised in New York and I love America. I travel a lot and I’ve lived in other countries but America is the one country that never makes me feel like an alien, at least not in any personal interactions I’ve had. However I am appalled by the things that people say on the internet. These people who feel entitled to America, who are “more” American than other people – that’s not the kind of attitude the founding fathers wanted to create. That’s the kind of attitude the pilgrims who settled here wanted to escape. I love my country because of everything’s that’s expressed in this ad, as cheesy as it is. Comments like yours make me sad because you’re missing out.

Everything about America is based off of another culture. Nothing we have is completely ours, it’s all improvements we’ve made on previous culture’s innovation. Our very democracy is based on ideas put forth by the Ancient Greeks. The best thing about this country being so young is that we can take the best part of every culture and make it ours.

How does this ad make it awkward for “born and bred Americans”? I am a born and bred American. Do you feel left out because you don’t speak any other language besides English? In most European countries everyone learns English at school in addition to their native tongue. Don’t you think it would be reasonable to make an effort as well? Especially since it’s for your own benefit – learning more than one language has been proven to be beneficial for your brain – and not just that but you will be able to communicate with a wider range of people. Maybe you’ll even learn to appreciate the people around you more.

• Big Mike says:

America is quickly losing it’s identity. Look at the way this country was in the 50’s and 60’s. “Americana” was at it’s peak. Rock and roll, fast cars, the space race…..iconic American images. What are the iconic American images that people will remember 50 years from now? We lost any sense of identity that we had when the powers that be decided that in order to make the life easier for the few, they had to deny things that had been ingrained into society. It begins with little things. Holiday parties instead of Christmas parties. Press 1 for English. It’s an insult.

I don’t feel left out at all. I speak more than 1 language, I speak English, Spanish and German. I do like the way the you assumed I didn’t though.

My point is beyond this commercial. The commercial is what spawned the debate, which isn’t particularly new.

You say that nothing in our culture is ours, that it is simply an amalgamation of others. I would say that you are missing the point. The very fact that we took facets from other cultures, combined them, tweaked them, and changed them into something our own, shows that we had a distinct, if young, culture. One that I feel is being eroded day by day, as we attempt to accomodate other peoples values and cultures.

I’ll use a personal example. I work in a hospital. There are diverse patients that come through these doors all the time. I cannot begin to tell you how many times there have been patients that have immigrated to the US more than a decade ago, and still can’t speak a word of english. That don’t have jobs, and rely on government assistance just to live. How is this acceptable?

• topoopon says:

In the ’50s and ’60s my grandparents were speaking mostly Yiddish around the house, and with family, and at the local grocer… etc. Yes they learned English, but it was not their first, nor was it their best language. Yiddish was STILL being spoken in the ’70s and ’80s in my family. So your idealistic notions of the Norman Rockwell, WASPy ’50s and ’60s of the Mad Men era USA… is a hallucination… you watch too many movies.

Today, we are, for the most part, a more enlightened society, even if there’s a stubborn few reactionaries who are kicking and screaming like a child having a tantrum being dragged into the present day. Not to mention that their ideas of what America was in the past are mostly rose-colored imaginings.

• topoopon says:

Also, things change. It’s nature… chaos theory. All we can do is try to make that change a positive one. So yes, society, like life, EVOLVES.

• notyourmama says:

Big Mike, really, we’re longing for the 50s and 60s now? I’m guessing you are a while male. I’m not sure there are many African Americans or women of any race who are dying to get back to the times of segregation and when women were expected only to stay at home and keep their pretty little mouths shut. Cultural evolution is not necessarily a bad thing.

• EL says:

Here are the YouTube clips on the girls and the languages in which they sing and their feelings about it. Just great. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn8fK6r9ayc&list=PLCIVZWq1FAwfHH97v5oywgrZkghxxtvVP

• Catherine says:

The point that your making would have made sense if Europeans who now call themselves “Americans” did not immigrate and come to this country and take over the land and bring their own culture. However this did happen. So therefore your point makes no sense. America’s culture is diversity because thats what it has forced since the beginning. If older people can not learn english then there should be a way to help them and that is pressing number 2 on the key for someone to speak in spanish or another language. What you are feeling right now is exactly how people felt when Europeans took over and made this land “America”. This land is truly for the Native Americans so if that is the case then everyone should be learning their culture and their language. So I am sorry but your point makes no sense.

• Jackson says:

I agree with your senitments wholeheartedly. Well done to Coca Cola!

• Melissa says:

Bravo!

2. Dreamrose says:

No matter the language, “American the Beautiful” still sings praise to our fair country.

3. EL says:

Seriously, people are offended by this? They need to get out more and experience their country. Multiculturalism is a fact of American life and has been since about 1600.

• Anne says:

Multiculturalism is not just a fact of American life, I think it’s one of the best facts about America. I believe it’s one of the things that makes us so strong, giving, tolerant. We’re not perfect by any measure, but I think we’re in a better position to solve problems because we are so diverse and have so many cultures to learn from.

• Big Mike says:

I’d argue that you need to see more of the country. Outside of the major coastal cities (NY, LA, Boston, DC, Miami….) the US is a far less diverse and conservative place than most people think. Go into Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, Vermont, Maine, Utah, etc, and tell me how diverse the country really is.

• Cory says:

I love in Salt Lake City, Utah…and it’s very, very diverse. I have more friends who are Latino or Middle Eastern and Indian than I do friends who are white, although in this case “more” is only about one or two. But still, other than the outer towns with extremely small populations it’s a more diverse state than you seem to realize. :)

4. Angela says:

I think it’s incredibly sad something like this could actually be divisive. Seems like a lovely message to me. America is made up of a variety of people, and that should be celebrated and acknowledged.

5. Mark says:

I sincerely feel bad for anyone who was offended by this. Their ignorance must make their lives horribly difficult.

• I’m more concerned about how difficult it makes our lives, to be around such disgusting, raging bigots. It’s about time we pushed back against them.

• Geo says:

Amen to that!

• Big Mike says:

So people that have a dissenting opinion are automatically hateful, disgusting, bigots? If you are preaching tolerence, what about tolerence for people that have a different opinion than your own? You three are being hypocritical beyond reason.

• Cory says:

You can be tolerant and still think bigots are disgusting and hateful. I tolerate them to the extent that I’ll acknowledge they have the right to they’re opinion but I’m certainly not going to avoid telling them how close-minded and hateful they are. Maybe it will do them some good.

• Big Mike says:

@Cory – Had to reply to my own post, there was no option to reply to yours.

You seem to have missed my point. Throwing around words such as “bigot”, “disgusting” and “hateful” but then attempting to say that you tolerate the fact that they have a seperate opinion, is hyperbole and hypocritical double talk of the highest regard.

6. aa says:

I’m going to eat a bowl of Cheerios and drink a Coke today, because DIVERSITY!

7. WTactualF says:

Intolerant people spewing their ideas about ‘Merica should be are completely out of touch with reality.

• Big Mike says:

I would agree that there is a great deal of offensive material out there (especially on Twitter, which is one of the reasons I do not use the service), there is still room for a different point of view on what “America is”. To label them as “out of touch with reality”, only shows that you are just as guilty of being closed minded as the people you are railing against.

8. Blackfel says:

This commercial beautifully illustrates the concept of “E pluribus unum”, the unofficial motto of the United States. Anyone who has a problem with it needs to reexamine their own values, and remember why the United States is called a melting pot.

Diversity is not a weakness. It’s a strength.

• Big Mike says:

It is a strength….until the wants/needs of the few are considered to be more important and valid than the wants/needs of the many.

9. ............ says:

Stupids liberals. F your “diversity”. :)

10. Dee says:

It was a fantastic commercial. I loved the Cheerios commercial as well.

I had to go back and see the commercial several times to find the “same-sex couple” though.

It was a blink-and-you-miss-it moment. Looking forward to the longer version.

Yay, diversity!!!!! :)

• Amie says:

I missed the same sex couple, too. Oh well. It cracks me up that people can be offended by something it takes two viewings to even find. I also didn’t realize that some of it was sung in a Pueblo language. As in, Native American. As in, the least “immigrant” of anybody.

11. Joseph says:

Just watched this , its really really nice
    not seeing any issue with an ad that was fully inclusive

12. Marianne says:

It was a nice commercial. But, not surprised by the outrage since some people believe we speak American here

• GildedRose says:

I’d love for the people who are so outraged over this to get their ancestry swabbed for DNA. I think they’d be shocked to see where they “truly come from” and also get an obviously much needed reminder that “Americans” didn’t spring from the water here. We ALL immigrated from somewhere else and spoke other languages. The education in America sometimes scares me.

• EL says:

Even Native Americans originally came from other continents. No one evolved here, people.

• Big Mike says:

As I’ve stated elsewhere in this thread, outside of some African cultures, EVERYONE came from somewhere else. North American, South American, European, Asian, Australian…..Life began on the African continent (or perhaps in the Middle East, as some scientists are now believing).

• abz says:

The comments I’ve read on twitter and elsewhere online were absolutely disgusting!!

13. Aryn says:

From reading these posts, I have realized more than ever how our public school systems have failed so many people in the USA!!! We speak English in America, we do not speak American!! Geez people, you can’t expect anyone to take your comments seriously if you can’t even compose a simple thought!!

• Nicole says:

You only speak American if you go down South. And something tells me that’s where the majority of the outrage is coming from.
      Personally I think it’s a wonderful idea to show the diversity in America. When my great-grandparents came to America they only spoke French, and not a lick of English.

• J says:

Way to stereotype and insult an entire region of people. Look in the mirror if you want to see someone who ignorantly and categorically discriminates against others.

• Jane says:

I’m from the South and I speak English and I loved the commercial, as did most of the other Southerners I know. Maybe you should examine your own intolerant and prejudicial thoughts and statements.

• rockymtnbob says:

Wow, Nicole- you sure know how to trip yourself up with negative stereotypes! Sheesh. Since you are so enlightened with the whole Coca-Cola commercial, perhaps you can find time to now educate yourself a little more on the ills of perpetuating this type of ignorance regarding southerners.

• Big Mike says:

I’d ask you if your grandparents learned English, or continued to speak French their entire lives? If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that they likely learned English. One of the issues that this country now has is the refusal of people who have immigrated here to give the bare minimum effort, and learn the native language.

• Anna says:

Thanks for making bigoted comments about an entire region. I was born and raised in Georgia (the HOME of the Coca-Cola Company), and I, along with my family, friends, and co-workers, lauded the commercial and all that it stood for. Your ignorance is just as bad as those who were outraged at the commercial in the first place.

14. Weezy says:

I have no problem with this commercial. But I wonder if it would change people’s thoughts if they knew a good wholesome commercial for a firearm (setting was a military man coming home and saying he was glad to be back to protect his family and didn’t even say the word gun or show one for the whole ad) was blocked from being shown during the Super Bowl because it was too “controversial”.

See this is my problem with things like this. People can do/show whatever they want, but that also means you can’t censor Christian family messages either. The problem is that all of this stuff keeps getting shoved down everyone’s throats while other things are deemed offensive simply because it’s a different viewpoint.

• Sara says:

I’d have appreciated the commercial more if it had featured many ethnicities singing the words in English but with their own accents. Anyone can learn a song in another language simply by parroting. In my opinion, if they want to be Americans, they should learn the language. I wasn’t offended, but I wasn’t pleased either.

• Chelsea says:

What language, exactly, are you referring to when you say “the language”? Last time I checked, the United States didn’t have an official language.

• tp says:

Back in 2006 they declared English the “national” language. They didn’t want to say it was the “official” language for fear that people would use it as an excuse to discriminate. It could have changed by now but I didn’t keep up with it.

• “The language” that should be known by everyone, depending on where you are geographically, would either be Spanish or one of the many Native American dialects.

Brush up on your Chippewa, Sara.

I agree with you.

• Maddy says:

I agree generally that we shouldn’t messaged based on view point, but since when does blocking a gun commercial equate to dinging “Christian family messages”? Are Christians the only folks who run and contribute to the gun industry these days?

• Brooke says:

ROTFL. Guns are a Christian family value now? Is that because Jesus preached about the right to bear arms? Which part of the Bible discusses firearms? I’m very amused right now.

• Angela says:

My thoughts exactly.
        Also, with the seemingly never-ending stories of shootings in the news lately, it would seem, at the very least, weird to have a commercial that even hints at the idea of guns being mentioned in any sort of positive light.

• John NYC says:

Well what else would you use to deal with all those people you find working on Sundays? Or detect wearing polyester blend clothing?

We’re not in the stone age anymore!

15. Karen says:

Thought it was an amazing commercial with a vitally important and gorgeous message of divesity and equality :D Thumbs up from a Dane

16. Beth says:

Diversity is wonderful, and yes most of us come from immigrants of another country(My hearitage is from 6 different countries). And that is fantastic. It doesn’t change the fact that English is the language we speak. While I am all for people from all races and cultures keeping their traditions, if you are a citizen or are going to be one and live in this country you should be able to speak English. You don’t move to France and not learn French, or to Germany without learning German. You learn to speak the language of the country that you reside, and that is no racist, nor ignorant, nor any anything else. It’s simple common sense. I speak languages from both sides of my heritage but I speak English first and foremost as it is the language that is spoken in the country that I love and live in.

• Angela says:

Ahhh, but those other countries have official languages. A great number of people in the States do speak English, yes, but it is not our official language. We don’t have an official language of any sort, period. There lies the difference.

• chistosa says:

While I understand your point, I don’t think the ad in any way indicated that they should not learn to speak English. Rather the melding of the different languages was the most effective way to show the cultural diversity of our nation. If all had been singing in English, some of the message would have been missed.

• GildedRose says:

What gets me is the attitude that “everybody should speak English!” doesn’t end at our borders. When we travel to other countries many still expect those countries (non English as a primary language) to cater to their language. Hence why when you do travel to these countries you see 2 signs: One in the native language of the country and one in English. It’s amazing that so many other countries respect the wide linguistic nature of the world yet Americans are “Why don’t you people speak English!”

• Angela says:

Excellent point.

• abz says:

Great point, @GildedRose

• elf says:

Actually, I’d expect foreign areas that cater to tourists to have signs in the languages of their primary source of tourism. It truly is American hubris when Americans expect others to cater primarily to our language needs.

Plus there’s this old saw:

What do you call someone who speaks two languages? Bilingual.
          What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual
          What do you call someone who speaks one language? American

• Big Mike says:

Those Americans who travel abroad with that attitude are simply wrong.

• elf says:

Something I think you’re discounting is that learning a second language is very difficult and not a skill just anyone can acquire. When you consider that many immigrants who come to America are not highly educated and do have problems with assimilation. They rely on their children to help them with the language barrier. Yes, there are some pockets of immigrants where even the children born in the states do not learn English, or if they do they retain the accents of their families, and that is a shame, but it is no reason to punish or even dislike those people.

American is one of the few countries with open immigration policies and understands that while first generations of immigrants may only contribute with manual labor but they will have children who will contribute more and those childrens’ children will contribute even more. And again, of course, there are exceptions: There are many who are a drain to the country both financially and socially, but the same was said about the Irish immigrants and the Jewish immigrants a hundred years ago and the Chinese immigrants 150 years ago and so on.

• Big Mike says:

I completely agree with you.

17. Loni says:

I’m fine with the commercial as long as all the people depicted came here legally. ;)

18. Stephanie says:

First off, I loved everything about the commercial. Seriosuly though – some people have this “we love diversity” attitude on here while in the same breath saying the naysayers are all Southern, Republican, right wingers, etc. Like those are prerequisites to ignorance. There is such irony in this comments section – “I love diversity, so long as we agree on everything!”. Diversity. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

• Brooke says:

I hate this idea that we have to suck it up and quietly accept bigotry and racism and xenophobia in the name of being tolerant and diverse.

• Stephanie says:

I totally agree with you and see how you may have thought that’s what I was saying, but that’s not what my point was. You can call bigots bigots and racists racists, what I don’t like is when people, in the name of celebrating diversity, call out specific geographic regions and political parties as the culprits. People can be tolerant AND Republican and they can be tolerant AND Southern. You can’t be tolerant AND and bigot or racists. I’m saying we shouldn’t paint groups of people with the same ignorant brush, especially not when in the same breath we are purporting to support diversity.

• Brooke says:

Ahhh, your context helps me understand your point. Apologies for misconstruing your post!

• NE says:

Have to tell you that I really appreciate the way you two had this discussion, as well as many of Big Mike’s comments on this entire thread. Using very respectful words to explain your view. Listening and trying to understand the other person’s point. Not necessarily agreeing but understanding. If only every conversation in this country could start with this basic respect. Thank you!

19. sybl says:

Hating people for speaking a language other than English can’t possibly come from any place but fear.

• Let’s not excuse or rationalize bigotry and racism.

It is a choice to live your lifestyle in a way where you hate people for not speaking English, being too brown, being gay, or anything else. Bigots choose to be evil. They choose to hate other human beings without cause.

I don’t care whether they’re afraid or not … they’re amoral and completely useless to the global society as a whole. Please don’t wave away their conscious decision to be less-than-human. Condemn them for it.

20. Jordan Low says:

I thought the commercial was very good. It expressed a feeling about america and being american. There are many people who came to america from other countries and embrace the liberties and freedoms not found in other places in the world. You appreciate the words and emotions the song brings out regardless of the language of the person who sings it.

21. Didn’t we have a guy last year apparently banging his horse and no one cared? But acknowledge that a country was founded by immigrants and ARGLE BLARGLE RACISM!

22. sam says:

Huffington post reported that the lyrics of america the beautiful were made by a woman who was a lesbian and had a twenty year relationship with another woman.

23. Pat says:

I loved this commercial. We have always been a melting pot and this most definitely represents who and what our country is. Congratulations to Coke, for this beautiful and well done commercial.

24. It was an absolutely beautiful commercial that brought me tears. I loved hearing America the Beautiful in so many different languages, and I applaud all involved in celebrating the diversity of our country.

25. Lily says:

Beautiful ad. But for the people who are complaining that they are not singing in English then they should sing in the Native American language bc they are the only true Americans here, the rest are all descendants of immigrants.

26. Frances says:

Wouldn’t America be so boring if were all the exact same like “clones”. I think before we are “Americans” we are HUMAN BEINGS!!! And as different as we are, we can learn from each other & share from this extraordinary world! I liken “The United States” to a beautiful woven quilt. We all are from different design & color but of the same fabric….”America”.

27. topoopon says:

For anyone offended by the Coke Super Bowl commercial…

Did you know: Martin van Buren, our 8th President, and first AMERICAN BORN President, spoke DUTCH as his first language, NOT English.

28. Paul says:

Hello!! this is America!! This should be in English only!! Have some respect!! What are the youth of America supposed to think!? I will never drink Coke again or consume or buy any product owned by Cola Cola. We are setting up meetings on our town counsel to ban Coke and Coke products from our schools, malls, and stores from now on and make it a crime to possess Coca Cola and Coca Cola paraphernalia of any kind within town limits. The Coca Cola Corporation is a trader and should be formally charged!! What were they thinking? Obviously they weren’t!! It’s a sad day for America!!