Super Bowl 2014: Vote for the Best Commercials

Get More: Polls, Sports

Super Bowl Commercials 2014Amid a lopsided Super Bowl XLVIII that for a while there seemed headed for (eep) a shut-out, a greater burden than ever was placed on the commercials to entertain the 100 million people watching. So, which of the super-expensive ad buys got the most bang for their buck?

RELATED | Bruno Mars’ Super Bowl Halftime Show: What Did You Think? Take Our Poll!

You’ve already seen my reviews of the ads from the 1st half and 2nd half. Now it’s your turn to review this curated list of (non-movie/TV trailer) candidates and vote for your THREE (3) favorites. Were you partial to furry friends or appeals for waterworks? Celebs, or sentiment? (Don’t see the ad you’re looking for? Give it a shout out in Comments.)

A handy video player featuring all the ads is embedded below the poll.

Tags:

Comments (69)

• Budweiser. The dog and the horse. Perfection.

Comment by I Heart Damon Salvatore – February 2, 2014 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Year in and year out, Budweiser has produced some of the best commercials ever. They are either funny, charming, heartfelt or all the above. I have fond memories of their puppies, polar bears and swamp frogs.

Comment by The Beach – February 2, 2014 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You forgot the super hot farmer/rancher — double perfection!! :-)

Comment by Jack – February 3, 2014 04:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • True that. Puppies. Horses. Hot men. I bet they sold a bunch of beer yesterday.

Comment by I Heart Damon Salvatore – February 3, 2014 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So very true!

Comment by Shara – February 3, 2014 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Puppy Love! All the way!!!

Comment by V – February 2, 2014 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You left out the ketchup commercial

Comment by David H – February 2, 2014 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As denoted above, it is a curated list.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – February 2, 2014 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You left out Goldieblox! I know it’s curated by they were the only small business on there!

Comment by Alice – February 2, 2014 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And you left out Squarespace – which is also a small business. It was quite good considering the competition.

Comment by Deb – February 3, 2014 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The two Budweiser commercials and the Steve Gleason Microsoft commercial.

Comment by Ashley – February 2, 2014 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about the Intuit Small Business winner, GoldieBlox?

Comment by Jill – February 2, 2014 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jill, I love the GoldieBlox Ad. It had something so important to say.

Comment by Cathy – February 2, 2014 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My three votes went to Budweiser Puppy Love, Cheerios Gracie and Chevy World Cancer Day.

Comment by Linda – February 2, 2014 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this year’s ads were pretty bad, but the puppy love ad is possibly my favorite ad ever.

Comment by kate – February 2, 2014 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seinfeld!!!!!!

Comment by Big Mike – February 2, 2014 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thoroughly enjoyed the Coke commercial singing “America the Beautiful” and the Cheerios commercial only to witness the depth of stupidity of some Americans being completely UN-American on the Internet.

Comment by Roger – February 2, 2014 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s a matter of opinion. Personally, I felt the Coke ad showed the deterioration of America more than anything.

*prepares for flaming*

Comment by Big Mike – February 2, 2014 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ignorant…

Comment by u – February 2, 2014 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Or perhaps I have a different opinion than you. That’s still allowed, isn’t it?

Comment by Big Mike – February 2, 2014 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • oh yeah, of course it’s allowed… it’s still ignorant though.

Comment by u – February 2, 2014 10:14 PM PDT
      • I’d be curous to know what ‘deterioration of America’ means?

Comment by Jackson – February 2, 2014 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The ad showed how great America was because of the proliferation of languages, cultures, etc. I’d argue that isn’t a good thing. We are losing any semblance of American culture, so that we can have dozens of other cultures and other languages making us a can of mixed nuts.

For example, if I were to immigrate to Italy, I’d learn Italian, the way of life there, etc. I’d never insist that they speak English to appease me, I’d never insist on pushing the American way of life onto theirs.

As a country, not only do we bend over backwards to accept everyone else’s culture and language, but we do so at our own expense most of the time.

Comment by Big Mike – February 2, 2014 10:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • … But America IS a mix of different cultures and languages, since its very beginning. That’s what made your country so great and different from all others in the first place! 99% of you are immigrants’ legacy, and I bet they wouldn’t be very proud of your point of view. What’s American culture for you anyway? Eating at McDonald’s instead of Taco Bell?

Comment by Gaara – February 3, 2014 02:50 AM PDT
          • What exactly is American culture? We ARE a bag of mixed nuts, a Melting Pot of the nationalities and cultures of our immigrant ancestors. I do find some fault with the country become a bilingual country, as my grandparents simply learned English in school by attending everyday, and were given no free pass NOT to learn. However,the diversity that makes up the history of America should always be recognized and celebrated….IMO, of course.

Comment by suzi – February 3, 2014 07:08 AM PDT
          • And yet, the biggest majority of american people demands that there is someone fluent in english to talk with them when they are in a different country, even when they live there.
            And yet,America literally advertised “The American Way of Life” for decades around the globe, and said that it was the better way.
            And yet, you told them your were the land of opportunities, and there where the world should be.
            And yet, most of americans don’t know a bit about the rest of the world, so sure that they don’t need to learn about anyone else.
            To admit that half of your country are from immigrants and their successors, and that America is not just “white cowboys” and “Apple pies” is actually one of the smart things you should do.

Ps.: Don’t get me wrong, I’m not anti-american, as some might think, I just felt the urge to say what I think.

Comment by Pearl – February 3, 2014 09:11 AM PDT
          • Sorry Big Mike but your Italy analogy has a few holes in it. You are comparing a country and culture that’s just a little over 200 years old with one that is several thousand and one which has always been a nation of immigrants (Irish, German and yes, Italian) with what has basically been a homogeneous one for centuries. Kinda apple and oranges.

Comment by The Beach – February 3, 2014 01:07 PM PDT
      • I agree. It seems that most people were offended by that commercial. I have friends who came to this country and they learned English. For me, the problem is that when you take a patriotic song and sing in other languages it reminds us of just how many illegals come to country, refuse to learn English and bleed the country dry. That’s my problem with it anyway.

Comment by Kate – February 3, 2014 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love seeing how people view things. For me I thought it showed the progression of America and how in this country it doesn’t matter who you are or what language you speak, you are accepted.

Comment by Robin – February 3, 2014 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol, I was thinking the same thing and people online did not disappoint! People tend to forget that it was people of different cultures and heritages that have contribute to this country, for better and sadly for worse.

Comment by Robert – February 3, 2014 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry, but the puppy commercial was CRAP. The vet commercial trumped it.

The 80′s one was the best surprise. So was the villians.

Overall, the commercials really SUCKED this year.

Comment by Eric – February 2, 2014 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • you forgot Xifinity…Jason Satham kicking butt on a plane while watching Downton Abbey…priceless.

Comment by Angel – February 2, 2014 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I laughed out loud at the Butterfinger commercial. Nut Butt and Choco!,,

Comment by Jessica – February 2, 2014 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the Diet Mtn Dew. go Jr!!!

Comment by Christina – February 2, 2014 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Puppy love is great!. The world needs more like this!. The best of the life.

Comment by Abraham Lopez – February 2, 2014 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only one I really laughed out loud at was the Doberwawa. Others were very effective and well done- but I really wasn’t expecting that. I loved it.

Comment by Alice – February 2, 2014 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here. Doberhuahua was the only one that actually had me laughing out loud the entire time.

Comment by The Beach – February 2, 2014 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me as well. I laughed throughout the ad and especially when Sarah McLaughlin threw her guitar at Doberhuahua in the end. Classic!

Comment by Max Ames – February 3, 2014 01:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Doberwawa was hilarious. The only commercial that made me laugh out loud. I laugh just thinking about it.
      Puppy love was well done but Doberwawa is the one I will remember.

Comment by Whatever – February 3, 2014 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so i voted for morpheus, david beckham and tom hiddleston but i would’ve thought the film trailers would be included too.

Comment by Kєssa (@iAmKessa24) – February 2, 2014 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GoldieBlox should be on this list. It was one of the only times I’ve regretted only having sons!

Comment by Martha – February 2, 2014 10:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Budweiser puppy love, radio shack, Cheerios, yogurt Full House, Doritos were my fav 5. Very disappointed with Coke & having America sung in different languages. I didn’t get it & whoever thought it up should be fired.

Comment by Diz – February 2, 2014 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DORITOS: Cowboy little brother gets the best of older brother…with pet dog, mother applauding

Comment by Lin Duren – February 2, 2014 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was one of my favorites too, but no one is even mentioning it. Maybe because it aired at the very end and by then too many people may have stopped watching the game.

Comment by Tenney – February 3, 2014 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This was my fav also. Was starting to wonder if they only aired it in Canada.

Comment by Kate – February 3, 2014 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Puppy LOVE….THE best
    Jag, Chrysler…and some of the others were interesting, some were- huh?!

Comment by Lin Duren – February 2, 2014 10:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Puppy Love was cute and the Doberhuahua (I know the spelling has to be way off) was absolutely hilarious! The others were fine, but honestly none of them really brought the Wow! factor. It was just OK. The game though *cough, cough* well nobody asked for any opinions on that now did they?

Comment by Janet – February 2, 2014 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Puppy Love and the Cheerios Ads were adorable. This year most of the commercials were just awful. To many car commercials and they fell flat for me.So I would like to know whose brainiac idea it was to drown us with these car commercials?

Comment by Pat – February 3, 2014 02:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The bean counters who took their money and ran!

Comment by CountryQueen – February 3, 2014 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you included the Doritos Cowboy Kid commercial in the list, it would have had my vote. I also liked the Heinz commercial. I think it can catch on in the same way as an Oscar Meyer commercial (the song). And, Puppy Love warmed my heart and was my favorite. The Cheerios commercial made me root for the girl. And, the Chevy commercial with the bull was the next.

Comment by DSG – February 3, 2014 02:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with you and the Doritos Cowboy Kid. It was the 2nd best one after the Budweiser Military Hero one.

Comment by A.J. – February 3, 2014 05:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where’s the Turbo Tax commercial? Totally didn’t expect that it was TT but we were laughing our heads off.

Comment by Nikki – February 3, 2014 03:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Best commercial of the night

Comment by Justin Sturm – February 3, 2014 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We laughed so hard at that one and then had the “Huh?” moment at the end when it was for Turbo Tax… lol! But it was great.

Comment by justjack – February 3, 2014 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tebow and puppy love the best.. I agree Coke was the worst..

Comment by Bill Terry – February 3, 2014 03:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The commercials were ok this year. There were very few, to me, that stood out and made me want to try something new. Oikos made me laugh out loud so I voted for it, but the commercials were mostly sentimental and touching more than funny. Radio Shack brought back memories.😊

Comment by leigh – February 3, 2014 03:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about the mafia M&Ms commercial?

Comment by Cassie – February 3, 2014 04:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry but on the whole this years commercials sucked! There were only about 5 good ones out of 4 hrs…..

Comment by K. – February 3, 2014 04:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is the 24 commercial? #JackIsBack !!!

Comment by Jay Z – February 3, 2014 05:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NEW CASTLE – Anna Kendrick Discusses Almost Ad.

Comment by Girard – February 3, 2014 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like to write in the Go Daddy commercial with the body builders all wanting the spray tan….

Comment by Mark Cosenza – February 3, 2014 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Turbo Tax commerical was my favorite of the night, followed by the Doritos time machine one, and of course, the Full House reunion one (because I’m still obsessed after all these years…)

Comment by Babybop – February 3, 2014 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The pistachio commercial with Stephen Colbert was hilarious. I always thought he was a bit nutty.

Comment by lou – February 3, 2014 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorite was the Xfinity commercial with Jason Statham watching Downton Abbey on a tablet while on an airplane, then kicking butt. Great commercial.

Comment by CJ – February 3, 2014 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You should also have a “What were the three worst commercials poll?”.

Comment by Larry McD – February 3, 2014 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Right, but then I would have had to list every single possible piece of dreck -- who has the time?

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – February 3, 2014 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where’s the MetLife Peanuts commercial with Schroeder playing “The Star Spangled Banner”? Otherwise, the Budweiser puppy, the Doritos cowgirl, and GoldieBlox were my top 3.

Comment by Steve F. – February 3, 2014 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Metlife was my fave too! disappointed that it was left off the list.

Comment by td – February 3, 2014 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Puppy Love commercial, all the way. Adorable! Horses and puppies! And the hot guy was just a lovely bonus!

Comment by Wendy – February 3, 2014 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post