Bruno Mars' Super Bowl XLVIII Halftime Show: What Did You Think? Take Our Poll!

Bruno Mars Super Bowl HalftimeIn the words of Bruno Mars himself: “Oh yeah yeah. Oh yeah yeah yeah yeah. HOOH-UH!

After diva extravaganzas — Madonna and Beyoncé, to be specific — the last two years, the pop-soul superstar brought a decidedly more organic musical vibe to the Super Bowl XLVIII Halftime Show, with special guests the Red Hot Chili Peppers contributing to the hook-tastic proceedings.

RELATED | Super Bowl 2014: Reviewing the Commercials (From the 1st Half) — Plus: Rewatch Them Here!

Out: Aggressive backing tracks, armies of dancers and wardrobe malfunctions (or things that might be mistaken for ‘em). In: Bruno and his rockin’, raucous band (in typical horn-line formation — and jaunty gold jackets) doing the damn thing as he ripped through a medley of hits that — if I’m being honest — could’ve gone on for another 10-15 minutes without complaint from most (aside from the truly, deeply football fanatical).

Things opened with a fun, fascinating juxtaposition — a cute children’s chorus serving up a snippet of “Billionaire,” followed by a closeup shot of Mars at the drums — completely going off with an abandon you might not expect from a guy about to launch into a high-octane mini concert in front of a massive global audience.

After that, a spectacular one-two-three punch of “Locked Out of Heaven,” “Treasure” and “Runaway Baby” — finished off with Mars giving us his best “is the dude moving on ice?” James Brown-esque dance breakdown. The subsequent jam session served as the perfect place to pause for a Red Hot Chili Peppers interlude — as a bizarrely kneesock-clad Anthony Kiedis & Co. bounced like kids on trampolines for the iconic “Give It Away.” Yep, they’ve still got it!

The final shift in tone? A touching montage of overseas U.S. military personnel sending dedications to family, friends and loved ones back home, as Mars launched into a subdued cover of “Just the Way You Are.” Were the ensuing fireworks a little over the top? Um, of course not! It’s the damn Super Bowl. And the halftime show, if you’ll forgive me a moment of cheesiness, was amazing — just the way it was.

But that’s just my take. What did you think of Bruno Mars’ halftime show? Take the poll below, then expand on your thoughts in the comments!

1. Anna says:

I thought the audio on his mic was a little low, it was a good show but there were times I couldn’t hear his vocals because the backup singers overpowered him.

2. Tania says:

The half-time show was fantastic. I will give Bruno Mars an extra shout out. The man KILLED!

3. Diz says:

Bruno was awesome as expected. I could have done without Chili Peppers. They’re not so hot anymore.

4. HTGR says:

Pretty good, although it might have been nice to have something that really screamed Jersey though.

5. Bruno and his marvelous band ROCKED IT!!!! I agree w/previous comments about RHCP – Bruno Mars could have done the whole show w/out anyone else’s help! My best friend and I had the priviledge to see him in concert in St. Louis last year and both of us said it’s one of the BEST concerts we’ve ever seen . . . GREAT JOB, BRUNO = YOU ROCK! ;-)))

6. AK says:

I’ve heard the name Bruno Mars but didn’t know anything about his music. I know who he is now! It was, by far, the best half time show I’ve seen. The Chili Peppers were good too. I wanted more! I got my retro-funk on tonight. I thought it was excellent!

7. Alan Dvorkis says:

I think enjoying a show tends to be subjective. I do not think Bruno Mars is very good, so I could never enjoy his show. His voice is average at best. He sings boring music. It is not for me. Sadly, I am not a RHCP fan either. I gave it a chance though. Lasted about 10 minutes before I had enough.

8. andrea says:

Very tasteful whole family could watch …

9. Kevin says:

Bruno Mars is a dynamo! The Chili Peppers were dynamite! What a combination. A great night for rock and roll…..however brief. I wanted more!!

10. Pat says:

I wish they had cancelled the rest of the Super Bowl and just kept the Halftime Show on. Bruno Mars was absolutely fantastic!

11. Bud says:

me: 47yr m Gen X’r, musically informed- I saw a fresh kid with talent and a tite band showin’ respect to musics’ deep roots/heritage- the clear dance moves homage to James Brown w/ a splash of MJ choreography was a heartfelt tribute. RHCP- brought back my snow/surf/skate memz- 90’s were best, I was there when the Chilis were the shiznit..sigh..somehow, we got old(er).

12. K. says:

I thought it was one of the good ones! It will be in my top 5 maybe 3 of all time….

13. Janet says:

Bruno Mars is a class act. His performance was fun and entertaining and most importantly the young kids could watch it without mothers screaming and dashing to cover their kids eyes from scantily clad “divas” thrusting and gyrating for all the world to see. I enjoyed his performance and was glad that this year I did not have to field any questions from my young nieces and nephews pointing to a “diva’s” nether region and asking ‘what’s that auntie’ and ‘do you have one of those too?’ Bruno Mars gave a great performance reminiscent of James Brown and a young Michael Jackson (pre-plastic surgery) and what I mean by that is dude was energetic and fun and what he gave came from the heart. Not everybody agrees obviously (those who voted fail). Clearly some people care more about flash than substance. Though with that suit he wore, he brought the flash too! :)

14. telltale says:

Bruno was Superb!! Too bad some people can’t get their heads out of here azzes to appreciate good music. His Super Bowl performance was something the children could enjoy and not have their parents cover their eyes and ears! It’s hard to please everyone, but Bruno definitely pleased me and my kids last night.

15. Mary says:

Great Half time show. Agree should of went on for another 10 to 30 minutes, better than the game. The only complaint I have is his mic should of been turned up more. Sometimes the music overtook his voice.

16. John Richter says:

The best part of the whole thing was Fox bashing Obama. That is football!!!

17. Mike Chapman says:

Very tastefully and respectfully done. Entertaining and NOT raunchy. Very family friendly. Kudos to Bruno Mars. Probably helped tremendously and the mom- & dad-approved department.

18. hank says:

Thought Bruno Mars was an off-Broadway B troupe, dull, amazing what marketing propaganda does, go to New Orleans, you will see dozens of more talented singers and acts and that is just the street busker’s before you get inside

19. Kristina says:

Could’ve totally done without the Chili Peppers. That said, best halftime show in years. Loved the military song dedication, and Bruno Mars was awesome. Was really nice to be able to watch it without having to send my kids to their rooms.

20. L.Z. says:

Bruno was fantastic. Very talented guy. RHCP were terrible – just a bunch of noise. I had to mute them after awhile.

21. BrazenSongBird says:

I really enjoyed the halftime show this year and gave it an “A”. However…the Super Bowl party I attended was mostly the over 40 set. Before the halftime show, I actually had to explain to most of them who Bruno Mars was! Once the music started, there was a bunch of head nodding and “Ohhhhh!”. My point is, while it was very entertaining, he’s not exactly a household name…at least not yet.And not exactly the average football enthusiast’s demo either. I think there could have been some other, more football viewer-friendly choices to headline the halftime show.

22. Loved it! Bruno and his band were great and having the RHCP guest was genius. Loved the shoutouts by the troops. Finally, the lighting team did an excellent job.

23. LIsaK says:

Bruno knocked it out of the park … didn’t need chili peppers tho it was a lively song …

24. andrea says:

Bruno mars super bowl concert was classy and the whole family could watch no half naked people on stage lots of class

25. Tom Mc says:

Mars was great, very energetic, but when the RHCP hit the stage it was awesome! Next year it should either be them, or AC/DC!

26. haha says:

I was really enjoying it until that flasher crashed the stage. Why didn’t security remove him?

27. Kayley says:

I do think Bruno is more talented than a lot of singers out there today [though I don't really listen to a lot of his music] but the show was average at best and this coming from a 26 year old [so not an 'oldie' like young people who think they're important like to say]. Don’t get me wrong, he sounded good and all but the half time show [as well as the game and commercials] as a whole was just boring as a whole. I know people have very different tastes and I accept that but geez I didn’t realize how mediocre peoples tastes were nowadays though. I should have figured though by looking at all the artists that are popular today though.

Like I said, I don’t have anything against Bruno and he does have talent but the performance in general was boring. I’m glad a lot of people can be pleased by sparkly suits and silly little jumps [and it's good all it takes is a sparkly suit and a singing dude to please some people with all the stresses of now days] but I’m not so simple minded. By the way, I’m not trying to sound insulting but that’s basically what it was. It isn’t my fault if some people are oblivious to that.

28. Chrissy says:

I agree with some of you. Bruno has talent but the show in general was just boring but I think they were trying to appeal to the youngsters in my age group since thats mostly Brunos fans, well mostly girls. If that’s what next year’s super bowl is going to be like, I might just skip out on it. I will say I like that he seemed so humble and just happy to be there. I do like Bruno Mars in general as a person but I gotta call it how I see it. I not impressionable enough to be influenced by the media and since they praised it, I suspect some, maybe not all but some are influenced by their opinions or opinions or others, and maybe not purposely but it happens sometimes.

29. shar says:

Best halftime show in a long time. Class act. Bruno is fantastic.

30. D. Lopez says:

It was awesome, truly enjoyed. great halftime show for the whole family

31. JM says:

Gave it an ‘A’! Way better than Beyonce and Madonna. You go, Bruno!

32. Will says:

Most of you people are morons. Including the writer to a degree. “Organic”? What part of that was organic? The autotuned, artificial, overproduced, crap that Bruno was lipsynching, or the Peppers (who haven’t made a good album since the mid 90’s, “playing” instruments that weren’t even plugged in? And you people just swallow this fake garbage and call it awesome. This might as well have been a sock puppet show.

33. Kathy says:

I loved Mars (he has an old-school Motown vibe at times), didn’t like the Chili Peppers’s performance (though I normally like them and have quite a bit of their music on my iPod). It was too jarring after the smoothness of Mars and his band. And I loved the interlude with the greetings from the military personnel to their families.

Bring back Springsteen and the E Street Band next year!

34. buggys says:

LOVED Bruno Mars, not so much RHCP but overall it was a great halftime show.

35. Joni says:

Bruno Mars was priceless to all you haters out there I have to say you are all jealous If you can’t say anything nice keep your thoughts to yourself Your negativity just isn’t wanted here

36. MKH says:

The mix of Bruno Mars and The Red Hot Chili Peppers, I don’t see it. Most of the older people that I spoke with didn’t mind Bruno Mars, but after the Red Hots hit the stage, the response was “What The Hell Was That”. I agree, it seemed that music genre’s were not well paired.

37. Circ says:

Bruno Mars was GREAT! Why were the Red Hot Chili Peppers there? You have a true talent onstage then mess it up with shirtless, raucous “music”. Why were they there?

38. Music Fan says:

Utter nonsense to say that wasn’t pure talent on stage. I don’t like pop. I love RHCP as I grew up listening to them, but anyone who actually knows music would recognize what is talent despite not liking a genre. Anyone who bothers to look beyond their own little niche would recognize talent right in their face. Despite my hate for pop, that kid is talented and an artist. Not just performer but artist because he sings, dances, plays instruments and writes music.

39. debst says:

Awesome show. Bruno was amazing!! My husband, daughter and I all thoroughly enjoyed it. Loved the old school moves mixed with the new music!!! Classy!!