Carrie Diaries Finale Recap: California Dreamin'?

Get More: Finales, Recaps

The Carrie Diaries finale recapShe may have thick blond hair and a closet full of half-shirts and flared skirts, but Carrie Bradshaw is no Malibu Barbie. (Just suggesting as much feels like blasphemy!)

Of course, it’s an 18-year-old’s prerogative to not have herself or her destiny entirely sorted out, which is why we’ll forgive our titular heroine for choosing a West Coast future after watching her life implode in the Season 2 (and quite possibly series) finale of The Carrie Diaries.

But hey, just because you make it all the way to the fabulous TWA Terminal — to attend a wedding, of all things! — doesn’t mean you have to get on a plane. So let’s pithily recap the action from the final hour of utterly charming, pre-Sex and the City adventures.

Our core Castlebury, Conn. players — Mouse, Maggie and Walt (along with Mr. Bradshaw and Dorrit) — all scored happy endings, to one degree or another. Mouse, having been named co-valedictorian with ex-boyfriend West, engaged in a battle over their shared prize (a single encyclopedia sex set) that predictably wound up with a final sexual tryst, a sweet breakfast at the diner and a cordial farewell. Maggie, after finding a red herring phone number in Pete’s pocket, got a marriage proposal. And Walt (I’ll miss you most of all!) got accepted to Pratt, meaning continued future connections to Carrie and boyfriend Bennett. Back on the home front, Dorrit decided to be nice to her dad, even if it made both of ‘em a little uncomfortable.

This left most of the hour to focus on Carrie, Sebastian and the NYC players. And under the heading of “father knows best,” Mr. Bradshaw’s worst fear came true on Carrie’s first day on the job at Interview. She got canned — or rather, swept into the can along with Larissa when the flighty editrix forgot to mention La Warhol in a New York Times piece — and paid the price. Not that Larissa minded, mind you: It just meant she had more time to focus on her impending nuptials with Harlan (which went down at the architecturally stunning TWA terminal at JFK). Oh Lord, those vows about Harlan introducing Larissa to the Mile High Club, and Larissa fondly recalling the couple’s christening of the first-class lounge, couldn’t have happened in a church, that’s for sure.

Samantha, meanwhile, kept finding Elliott (the married paramour she’d dumped when she’d discovered complications in his open marriage) outside the horse-race betting parlor she frequented as her “safe space.” (Side note: The unexpected convergence of one of my fave TV characters with my favorite sport makes me unspeakably giddy.) Chemistry drew them together for one more romp, but it also caused the professor to leave his wife — and propose a deeper relationship with our commitment-phobic sex kitten. We left them as they entered an OTB (not a euphemism) arm-in-arm. But trust me, based on my knowledge of what those places looked and smelled like before they shut down a few years back, let’s hope no, um, “christening” occurred.

And finally, we come to Carrie. With her job gone kablooey and the NYU admissions office telling her she’d missed her shot ’til the spring semester (at best), she agreed to head to Cali with Sebastian, a decision that turned her relationship with her dad from chilly to Polar Vortex-ian. But after heart-to-hearts with nomadic Samantha and dreamy ex Weaver (le sigh), we could see her doubts begin to percolate. When Sebastian approached her at the wedding and asked, “You’re not comin’, are you?” it was clear the end was near — for the star-crossed couple, anyhow. “Even though there’s nothing for me here — no job, no college — I have to stay here and fight for my life,” Carrie explained. Sebastian, heartbreakingly, told her he’d look for her byline in the future, and “know I was lucky enough to love that girl.” (No, I never really bought the epic-ness of Bradshaw-Kydd — of course, I didn’t want Carrie to end up with Big, either — but it sure was a moving finish.)

Run to YouAnd thus, it was Carrie who wound up subletting Larissa’s massive apartment (for a mere $550 a month — ahhh, the ’80s!). But in the episode’s best twist, our protagonist ended the episode with a phone call to an unseen individual, who quickly arrived at the apartment door. Who else could it be but Samantha Jones? And what else could happen but Carrie asking her to move in — as long as she promised not to borrow her underwear anymore. “I stopped wearing underwear,” Samantha shot back, “so it shouldn’t be a problem.” Cue the whole Castlebury and NYC gang at a quaint West Village eatery — being waited on by Carrie herself.

Yep, she’s gonna make it after all…

What did you think of the Carrie Diaries finale? If it’s a series finale, do you feel like your favorite characters got an appropriate sendoff? Grade the episode below, then hit the comments with your thoughts!

Comments (45)

• Might as well go down swinging

Comment by Riana – January 31, 2014 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The CW should revamp The Carrie Diaries and introduce the rest of the SATC girls.

Comment by Jared – January 31, 2014 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Carrie doesn’t meet Cynthia until the early 90s, but introducing Miranda would be good cause Carrie meets Miranda in 1987. So we would have 3 of 4 of the girls next season.

Comment by Taylor – February 1, 2014 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Cynthia? Or Charlotte?

Comment by kim – February 3, 2014 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hoping for season 3. Or a complete series dvd.

Comment by Ric – January 31, 2014 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously, this! An actual DVD of the show would be great if they cancel it.

Comment by Amanda – January 31, 2014 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There won’t be a DVD cause of the music creator Amy Harris tweeted a couple months ago

Comment by Brandy – January 31, 2014 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If the demand is there they may change their minds and save money by changing the music, it may not be as good with different tunes but it would make putting it out on DVD cheaper.

Comment by sara – February 1, 2014 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I adored this show. I will miss it!

Comment by 80s – January 31, 2014 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would have been better if Carrie would have moved into THE apartment, but hey that’s just what I wanted :). It was also nice that Sebastian will make it with his business venture, that’s the problem with a prequel though, the viewer knew these two weren’t end game.

Comment by Beth – January 31, 2014 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, being the type of prequel that it is, it was kinda doomed from the start and hard to get attached to. I guess they could’ve gone an alternate route and give TCD its own ending without connections to the former series (other than her meeting Samantha, etc), but that wouldn’t make much sense or please fans of SATC.

I know that TCD is based on a book and I’m not sure of the timeline for everything (as far as the characters meeting / showing up and such), but maybe it would’ve been better if they made a prequel that took place shortly before SATC (when they’re all in their 20′s) rather than when Carrie was a teenager. They could’ve then hired younger actresses for flashbacks to whenever the characters meet/met.

Comment by Jonny – January 31, 2014 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Technically, TCD is following the continuity stated in the prequel books while the TV version of SATC made significant departures from the books.

Comment by James – February 1, 2014 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was hoping foe THE apartment, too! When they showed shots of her moving back in I was trying to visualize that apartment/the closet and how it would work in that space. Please, season 3, please!!!

Comment by Saabgirlatx – February 1, 2014 03:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going to be crushed if The CW cancels TCD. Each episode’s charming and heartwarming at the same time. There’s so much they can do when it comes to potential storylines, I would honestly hate to see it go. It’s like the final two episodes of S2 setup the foundation for Carrie’s story on SATC. *sigh*

Comment by William – January 31, 2014 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked it.If it was the Series Finale then it’s good that there’s no loose ends.Now if there is a third season the show can do a time jump of sorts and we could see Carrie in college with some of the old characters still around but new ones too.

Comment by Andrew Hass – January 31, 2014 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone know what the 80′s song was at the end of this episode?

Comment by S – January 31, 2014 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone know what that 80′s song that was playing at the end of this last episode?

Comment by S – January 31, 2014 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Simple Minds “Alive and Kicking”, I think.

Comment by jay – January 31, 2014 11:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You are correct. One of my faves from high school!

Comment by Saabgirlatx – February 1, 2014 03:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think there’s a strong chance for a third season ….

Comment by Bradster – January 31, 2014 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Then you’re just willingly ignoring the fact that it’s the only show on The CW’s line-up that didn’t get additional episodes ordered. It’s also one of the lowest rated.

Comment by dude – January 31, 2014 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Because they also have new shows that will be joining the line-up in midseason. Mark Pedowitz never stated when they renewed TCD for Season 2 that the show has an option for a back-order. It will be one and done to give some breathing room in the schedule.

Comment by James – February 1, 2014 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It is/was a limited series,intended to only have 13 episodes a season.When it & Cult were picked upCW said they wanted to try cable length seasons.When talking about season two he said”we may or MayNoT go more than 13 this season.We looked at it as a limited series last season too”.Plus in May,deadline had a article with the headlineCW Eyes Carrie Diaries,The 100 for limited Runs.In May another deadline article reporting CD,Nikita renewals,it said “Carrie Diaries episodes order is automatically a 13 episodes since it was a Midseason show last season”.

Comment by Brandy – February 1, 2014 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s only gotten lower LIVE ratings, the show is like the second most streamed on CW’s website which goes to show how popular it actually is, that will play a factor in the decision to give a 3rd season or not. Don’t write it off before it’s even had a chance to start.

Comment by xsarahlrx – February 1, 2014 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’s actually third most streamed now according to what CW said a few months ago about VD,TO being top two most streame and CD & Reign doing very well online

Comment by Brandy – February 1, 2014 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There HAS to be a season 3. I hope the CW does what it did with Nikita or Gossip Girl and gives it a shortened final season instead of no season at all. I love Walt and Carrie and I hate to think that was the last I’ll see of them. Please CW, just 6 more episodes, at least!!!

Comment by @PortmanReview – February 1, 2014 02:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC Family, Netflix, or Amazon need to take over the show!

Comment by DavidSask – February 1, 2014 03:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please let there be a season 3 I feel like there could be Soooo much more of this story!!! Bring it back CW!!! It was a Good Show!!!

Comment by Samantha – February 1, 2014 04:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haven’t watched the finale yet but I really hope there’s a third season! I’m afraid I was one of the skeptics at the beginning – thinking the idea of a prequal for SATC odd but thanks to Netflix, I have been completely won over! So sad that the ratings are so low since it’s really a fun show.

Comment by Kim – February 1, 2014 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I adore this show! Please let them re new it for a third season. The finale was wonderful!

Comment by Kelly – February 1, 2014 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree! There needs to be a Season 3. I’m also interested in Walt’s story, not just Carrie’s.

Comment by Prue – February 1, 2014 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • here’s an idea… Take Sebastian , follow him to Cali and spin off!! He’s adorable, who doesn’t like the skateboarding theme? we all know how that works out in the end!! (great!) and we can meet some cali ladies to sweep him off his feet!?! That would make for a great spin off .. no?!!

Comment by Kaylin – February 1, 2014 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree that a spin-off with Sebastian would be great and would fit with the CW audience

Comment by Georgia – February 2, 2014 12:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here’s an idea? Sell the series to ABC family…bet it would do better there.

Comment by Damien Roberts (@dam744) – February 1, 2014 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of the first shows I’ll really be sad to see go. They’ve done such a good job, and I love the 80′s vibe. Don’t cancel a show that makes me laugh out loud, and brings tears to my eyes!

Comment by Drienne – February 2, 2014 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the only show I watch on the CW. Of course, I’m way older than the target demo, but I watch it with my teen daughter, who loves it. I love it because it really seems like a perfect prequel to SATC, and the whole ’80s style/culture done so well.

Comment by Sarah – February 3, 2014 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The show obviously got cancelled if that was supposed to be the series finale. So as far as the last episode being a good series finale NO, season finale, yes. Lets hope for a 3rd season. TV just isn’t the same shows that get dropped one year become cult classics the next (freaks n geeks) especially with hulu n netflix around look at what netflix did for breaking bad as far as popularity. Carrie Diaries is/was fantastic.?

Comment by Toby – February 10, 2014 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um I really really really think that Sebastian and Carrie should have stayed together…I mean I LOVED their couple! I really thought they were meant to be…I hope it isn’t goodbye anyways…maybe they could reunite it season 3☺️ Oooooo I will be soooo upset if they cancel this show! I adored it😭

Comment by Samantha – February 11, 2014 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yhhh I really agree with you, I thought they were great. Well we see what happens…hopefully there would be a season 3!

Comment by Kasheefah – February 11, 2014 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So agree they are a cute couple i was sad when she didnt follow him or he didnt stay with her.

Comment by Andrea – April 10, 2014 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love.. Sex in the city and Carrie diaries too …i like this so much pleas 3 series .. I love so much this serial is best in this world !!! pleas,please,pleas,pleas,pleas…<33

Comment by Barbara – February 16, 2014 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My friends and my love this so much !! i have a 50-100 friends ! yeah and we want 3,4,5… serie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE SO MUCH !!

Comment by Ali – February 16, 2014 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • come on …ples you all know that is a best show !!! FOREVER!! PLEaS I WANT THIS FOR MY LIFI !! this is my life in my 18 y o best in manhatten …..pleas it is my dream this live!! pleas

Comment by Arii – February 16, 2014 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope The Carrie Diaries gets renewed. There is never anything good on tv besides Pretty Little Liars and The Carrie Diaries. This was different than the other shows than the other shows on The CW (since Gossip Girl and 90210 got cancelled). TV would be absolutely boring if they canceled TCD and I think it deserves a chance. I’m so sick of all these vampire/werewolf shows, don’t get me wrong I am into that stuff but it’s over done and they can never come up with a storyline that keeps my interest.

Comment by Misty Lake – February 17, 2014 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sebation and carrie all the way! That’s why it’s sad that we no sex in the city carrie and big so u know for a fact carrie and sebation were over from the start but still they should get back together if the show is renewed which I hope it is also I didn’t understand why she couldn’t go to California for 3 months with sebation that would have been a lot of fun.. They are ment to be screw the prequels in this case

Comment by Tiffany – March 3, 2014 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post