Ratings: Rake Falls, Reign Ticks Up, SNL Special Does Much Better Than Sean and Michael J. Fox

Ratings Rake on FoxFox’s freshman drama Rake drew 5.3 million total viewers and a 1.3 demo rating this Thursday night, dropping 24 percent from its premiere as it demonstrated less than 50 percent retention out of American Idol.

Idol itself (with 11.2 mil and a 3.1) was down about 10 percent week-to-week.

RELATED | American Idol Omaha Auditions Recap: We’re Goin’ to Hollywood!

Over on CBS, The Big Bang Theory (18.9 mil/5.1) was down 10 percent, The Millers (11.8 mil/2.8) slipped 12 and 15 percent, Crazy Ones (8.3 mil/1.9) fell 13 and 20 percent and Two and a Half Men (8.6 mil/1.9) dropped 10 and 20 percent. Elementary however held steady at 10.2 mil/2.0.

RELATED | Parks and Rec Goodbye Episode Recap: Ann Gets Her Park, and We Are Wrecked

NBC’s Community (3 mil/1.1) and Parks and Recreation‘s big goodbye episode (3 mil/1.2) both matched their week-ago numbers. SNL‘s sports-themed special drew 4.7 mil and a 1.8, outperforming the most tallies from Sean Saves the World (2.6 mil/0.7), Michael J. Fox Show (2.2 mil/0.7) and Parenthood (4.3 mil/1.4).

RELATED | The Vampire Diaries Recap: The Body Swap

The CW’s Vampire Diaries (2.4 mil/1.0) shed some eyeballs and two tenths in the demo, while Reign (1.7 mil/0.7) ticked up a tenth.

1. Simon says:

Why doesnt Fox drop Rake and put Enlisted and Raising Hope after Idol? Was Rake always meant to be on after Idol on Thursdays or do they have something else to place there later? Isn’t Glee moving to Tuesdays? Parks and Rec and community were amazing last night, I wish they was higher.

• Robert Taylor says:

This.

• ScrubsGuy says:

Fox should have put Enlisted on after the Super Bowl instead of New Girl. Enlisted + B99 would have been perfect for post-SB – maybe that would draw some viewers to Friday.

• Will says:

It’s like you’ve been reading my thoughts and listening to my non-virtual conversations with friends… I’ve been saying B99/Enlisted should be aired together after the Super Bowl. Perfect audience for them. Why FOX, Whyyyy won’t you act smart!? New Girl is on S3 it doesn’t need the boost in ratings; if it can’t hack it by now then oh well. It won’t be around forever so you need to foster new series to take the reins!

2. Renny says:

Its quiet interesting that the originals & supernatural have bettered TVD in the ratings.

3. catherine says:

Poor Rake, it’s a disaster.

4. Fernando says:

Yes Reign, let’s get that season 2, keep strong

5. tp says:

I’m excited for Reign. I didn’t watch it cause I don’t care for the story arc right now but I’m happy to see it ticked up. Every little bit helps.

• Jenna says:

How about you just admit you’re a frary fan? Oh ‘I don’t care about the story arc right now’….more like if it was mostly francis and mary in the ep which usually the case then you’ll watch. Smh

• tp says:

I don’t understand why you think I wouldn’t admit that? You watch for your reasons and I watch for mine. Sebastian and Mary are the story arc and I don’t like it. My comment articulated how I felt exactly.

• Brandy says:

You know if you like the show,you should watch ,no matter if Frary/Francis are featured or not.Youre not helping helping the show get ratings and get renewed by not watching.Unless you’re a Neilson viewer or watch on Hulu/Netflix,you boycotting the show won’t do anything.You should realize Mash are temporary and in time Frary will be back cause that’s what shows with love triangels does-have one couple together for a while break them up have the other couple togetherFrancis and Mary are endgame ,which probably won’t get to see it if it gets cancelled before that gets written.Also, the ratings were the same as last week so the boycott didn’t work.It dosent make sense to me how you can not watch but be “excited for Reign,happy it ticked up”.By boycotting til you get Frary or the show gets cancelled, you are helping possibly put hundreds of thousands of people out of a job.I respect your right to not watch if you’re not interested and to voice your support of Frary though.

• Robin says:

There wasn’t a boycott….

• tp says:

Let me say this to be really clear. I started watching this show because of Mary and Francis. I am not ashamed nor would I ever not admit that. Yes, I am a fan of them. (I hate all that name mashup stuff). I binge watched all 8 episodes because I caught 20 minutes of them together. If the entire reason I watch is not happening please tell me why I should continue to watch when I’m not enjoying it? I watch tv to be entertained. Not roll my eyes the entire episode. I know exactly who is endgame. I’m not willing to sit around for a couple of seasons until it happens though. I don’t have a Neilsen box so it doesn’t matter if I watch or not. I’m not boycotting, I’m not interested in Mary being with Bash, so I’m not watching. Things will not be the same between them when they get back together. This story arc has changed the way I feel about Mary and soon Francis. It’s not even like I dislike Bash. I just don’t like him with Mary. I wasn’t trying to say all that so I kept it simple with my original comment but some people feel like you have to agree with them or like you’re hiding something.

• tp says:

Also I’m sorry it doesn’t make sense to you that I’m happy it ticked up but I’m not watching it anymore. I enjoyed the show and my ride with it. I wouldn’t want the show to be canceled just because I don’t like where it’s going. Plenty of people love the Bash/Mary pairing. This is heaven for them. I don’t have to watch it to appreciate others love for it.

• Lena says:

I totally understand why you don’t watch. If everybody did the same when they don’t like something in a show, it will resolve the issue for good. The show will get cancelled because nobody is watching. :) I guess you can see Mary and Francis end up together in your imagination.

• Brandy says:

I respect you’re not watching cause you’re not interested anymore and I’m fine if you’re Frary shipper.It just seems selfish,immature to throw a temper tantrum and endanger people’s jobs/livlihood not to mention fans of the show that still watch.when you don’t get what you want on the show/don’t get your way/your ship isn’t together.I don’t understand watching a show just for one couple,one character,one arc/sl cause it seems to me that’s not a true fan ithe whole show overall in general isn’t liked,but just one ship and when they’re not together,people stop watching.Sure ,there’s couples I like on tv show or characters I like or characters I prefer over others,but there’s no way that one couple/character are the only reasons I watch. Producers even said there will be a wedding (& insinuated it would be a Frary wedding) at the end of the season.Let the writers do thier job.They shouldn’t fan pander.

• tp says:

There are no tantrums being thrown except for yours. I do not matter to the ratings and unless you have a Neilsen box neither do you. If there were other arcs I was interested in I would just fast forward through anything I didn’t like. You don’t have to understand why I watch for just Mary and Francis. You don’t have to understand why I don’t want to watch anymore. You say you respect my reason for not watching but yet you call me immature. I don’t begrudge the writers their vision nor do I think they should pander to the fans. However they, along with people like you, need to accept that they will lose fans along the way. Don’t put words in my mouth and don’t call people names just because they don’t agree with you.

• em says:

I understand. From a general standpoint, there are times I’m not interested in a show’s storyline, but I see potential or I know the writers will eventually get back to whatever I did enjoy. This happens with Once Upon a Time for me. A lot. I don’t want OUaT to get canceled because it can be one of my favorite shows at any given moment. And similarly to OP, I started watching TVD because of some random Delena scenes on youtube (I hope we’re past judgment…). With fairly straightforward shows like Reign, it’s easy to come in and out if you just don’t feel like watching. OP knows that the writers will come back to Francis and Mary eventually, so she/he obviously doesn’t want the show to get cancelled until then.

• tp says:

That’s all I’m (she) saying! I’m not watching this story arc. There are plenty of shows I have stopped watching for periods of time. Also no judgement on TVD as one of my favorite shows is Men At Work. (Love me some Gibbs and Tyler).

• Fernando says:

And because of people like you is why Shows get cancel, like really just because Mary and Francis aren’t together you didn’t watch last night episode, you don’t watch then there won’t be a season 2 so who cares about who Mary is, you should just be team reign

6. b says:

I’m loving The Crazy Ones! What chance does it have at getting second season? It has unlimited potential.

7. Patrick says:

Community was really, really bad last night. There were a very few, very brief bright moments, but only when the guest stars were actually talking. Abed was off, Annie was off, Jeff was really off, and Duncan and Shirley might as well have not been there.

Community has some real questions going forward about how the show will be without Troy, and to a lesser degree, Pierce. Last night was not a positive step.

• Ron says:

I wouldn’t say it was really, really bad. I’d say it was just really bad (only one “really”). It’s odd, because I’ve thought season 5, up to this point, has been really great. And the episode last week easily ranks in my top 5 of best/favorite Community episodes. So last night was definitely a disappointment. However, if, out of 6 episodes thus far, only 1 has been dreadful, four have been really good, and 1 has been mind-blowingly amazing, I’d still say season 5 is streets ahead of season 4.

• Patrick says:

I am not as down on S4 as lots of folks, but I agree that S5 has been great so far. Problem is, this was the first episode without Troy and Pierce. Chase hasn’t been in any of the eps this year, sans the opening (which was OK), but his presence has loomed large. The lie detector ep was one of my series favorites, and the Lava ep was gold. And Pierce was the driving force behind what was, essentially, a two part episode. But Troy and Pierce aren’t there any more. So, what was good up till now might not be good from now on.

Where does it go now? Troy and Pierce, while not driving forces in any given episode, were easy sources of cheap laughs. Say they gave you 3 easy jokes between the two of them every week, to say nothing of the broader, long term setups and jokes in any episode. That is a lot, and I mean A LOT to replace.

The real downer about last night is that it is the last ep for the duration of the Olympics. I fear it will leave a bad taste in the mouths of viewers who might just decide that Lava was a fitting series finale in their minds.

8. nate says:

parenthood didnt come on last night?????

9. Will says:

I really wanted to love Rake but it was just “ok” at best. Haven’t seen last night’s episode yet, but will tune in only because of Greg Kinnear.. hopefully it’s improved over the premiere.

10. Heathers says:

My husband and I love Rake, but sadly it looks like Fox will probably cancel. It is not a good time and night for this show. And for all you haters, please go back to watching Glee and Two Broke girls and other assorted crap.

11. Britta Unfiltered says:

Oops, I forgot to record Rake. But it sounds like you’re saying I shouldn’t get attached.

12. iamkessuki23tw says:

I like rake and only watch for the actress who plays scarlet and greg kinnear. I dearly hope the ratings pick up or stay steady.