How I Met Your Mother Spin-Off Scoop: Meet the New Ted, Robin, Marshall, Lily and Barney!

TV LOOKOUTSally is the new Ted!

Casting is officially underway on How I Met Your Dad, CBS’ in-the-works spin-off of How I Met Your Mother, and — per just-released casting intel — the soul mate-searching character at the center of the potential series is a twentysomething named Sally.

POLL | How I Met Your Mother Mystery: Why Exactly is Ted Telling the Kids His (Long) Love Story?

Read on for more on Dad‘s “colorfully ambivalent” heroine, and for scoop on the Marshall, Lily, Robin and Barney in her life.

SALLY | She’s vibrant, messy and unpredictable — a “female Peter Pan who has never grown up and has no idea of where she’s going in life.” She’s thinking of calling it quits with her husband of a year, Gavin. She’ll lean on her circle of friends for advice and support through the inevitable divorce. That circle includes…

JULIET | Sally’s sexy, flamboyant, energetic, party-girl BFF. She runs a successful fashion blog. She’s delighted to learn Sally is ending things with the terminally boring Gavin.

DANNY | Sally’s older gay brother, a Type A, overachieving lawyer whom she shares little in common with. They nonetheless share a tight bond, although Sally’s decision to move in with Danny after her split with Gavin promises to test that bond.

TODD | Danny’s warm, outgoing husband and one of Sally’s closest friends from college. Unlike Danny, Todd welcomes Sally into their home.

FRANK | The head of IT for Juliet’s fashion blog. He’s a hot nerd. He has genuine feelings for Sally, but it’s a one-sided flirtation. At least for the moment.

NARRATOR | It’s Sally from the future. She’s reliving the events of her past to her kids.

Thoughts? Theories? Casting tips? Hit the comments!

1. Allison says:

How I Met Your Mother is my absolute favorite show EVER. Its a down to earth show about friends getting together and partying every now and then. This show is going to be more “modern” and I just don’t think its going to do good.

2. Alan Smithee says:

How can it be called a “spin-off” when the character was never in the original show, and essentially it’s just the same stupid scenario with different characters? Can you guys not come up with a new thought in your head? Or are you the same guys who are re-making “Robo-Cop”…?

3. I’m a 25 year old lady who is vibrant, messy, unpredictable and also, a female peter pan who has never grown up and I too have no idea what I am doing with my life. Therefore I demand to be cast for this roll!!!! Seriously. I will make this show RULE. Please.

4. Julie Pham says:

I don’t like this story already. No one is going to like Sally. She’s already married and she’s not going to work hard at keeping it. She’s gonna tell her kids she was once married and divorce. Also, if they start with Sally married either she married young or they don’t plan on a long running show. Cause Ted was in his 20s when How I met your mother explain the story and he was barely out of college and it took him ten years to find his wife. It’s weird that Sally already married and still haven’t found the guy and her kids supposedly in the teens. Ted was so lovable cause he was always looking for the one and he wouldn’t commit til it was the one. What does that say about Sally. Not likeable already.

5. Marc says:

I don’t see how anyone can fairly decide whether this is good or bad without seeing the characterizations, the acting, and the writing. It isn’t cast. There isn’t a pilot. We haven’t seen a half dozen episodes, since things can significantly improve or decline after as pilot. But, sure folks. Make your decision right now.

6. Sam says:

I’m definitely going to give the show a shot, but I honestly don’t like the names of the characters. Sally? Juliet? They’re just so stereotypical. Either way, I think it’s worth keeping an open mind about!

7. Queasyyy says:

I don’t like the whole gay couple idea. I feel like it just encourages homosexuality which, whether you think so or not, is wrong and shouldn’t be given as much hype as it has been recently. I don’t think that god would make someone homosexual from birth, as some people say, and then make homosexuality a sin. I think there are a lot of people that, because they couldn’t find a place to fit in, they convinced themselves that they were something that went along with what either 1.) other people were telling them or 2.) they felt would allow them to fit in with more people. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t condemn people for being homosexual because we all sin but I don’t think portraying it as “ok” is very good. If they are going to support homosexuality in this show I am not going to support it.

• Blake says:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

• Naomi Mowatt says:

Fine, don’t watch it, no one’ll miss you. I was terrified when i found out i was gay because i was scared i wouldn’t fit in, i actually pretended to be straight so i could at least try to fit in, which led to depression and a suicide attempt. I’m proud to like girls, it was how i was born, it’s who i am, and i won’t let anyone tell me that i chose this. Yes, because i chose a life where i am torn down at every opportunity, where i’m judged before people even know me, where people are constantly telling me i should be something i’m not.

• tjlane94 says:

Well then you’re an asshole. There is nothing wrong with homosexuality and God didn’t make it a sin. And if he ever did, times were different. Here in the 21st Century we get to love whoever we want.

8. Dillyn Holmes says:

Sally and Danny = Claire and Marshall from Modern Family
    Sally and Juliet = Jules and Laurie from Cougartown
    Danny and Todd = the couple from New Normal
    Frank = the annoying side character from Ground Floor

9. it sounds OKAY. There should be more female characters. Ted had 2 guy friends give her 2 girls friends. have a girl be like Barney was. dont have her live with her brother….have her try to be on her own or live with a female friend or maybe aroomate she has never met and them become friends. and instead of a gay brother have him and his best friend live together and have the best friend have a crush on her and she doesnt like him back.

• Ram510 says:

I like these ideas! This would make for better characters

• Goodbye Universe Guy says:

I have a feeling Sally may end up like the female-version of Barney. A bit over the top. That might work, we’ll see.

I think CB/CT really found something special with the Barney character, but again, so much of the success of Barney was the writing and particularly NPH. The HIMYM cast just turned out to be golden. When I first saw a picture of the cast, and watched the first show in 2005, I wasn’t completely ‘wowed’ at first. But boy, over time, those five actors just pulled me in. Very talented quintet.

Yes, good acting, good writing on HIMYM, but perhaps a little bit of ‘magic’ at work as well. That’s very hard (as I’m sure CT/CB know) to replicate. It will come down to the writing, and hopefully they strike gold again with the cast.

• tjlane94 says:

It would be difficult to do a female Barney Stinson without her turning into Robin Scherbatsky.

10. Kerry says:

I’d check it out for sure!!!! Sure HIMYM was about finding out who the mother is but it was also about watching five young adults experience life. I love that show because it’s hallaruois, adventurous and it’s just awesome. If this spin off is written by the same people and the actors are as awesome as those on HIMYM I will definitely take the time to watch it.

11. RenFowl says:

Ok, these characters and situations sound interesting, but why tack on this spin off business? drop the How I met your dad stuff and it would be fine!

12. Tauri says:

Sounds awful. And nothing like the backdoor pilot that I thought “How Your Mother Met Me” was. And is the mother’s name really Sally? Because I feel like the writers could come up with something better than that.

13. Asher says:

NO! That show is the greatest show ever. I want the whole book to close and just leave it the greatest show. No one will be able to do what that cast & those writers did so I hope the new show doesn’t get picked up. Just let it go peacefully!!

14. Rotasevian says:

I don’t get why they keep calling this a Spin-off. It’s not a continuation of any character introduced in the original show. This is more of a Spiritual Successor.

• J. says:

Which is really awkward to me. I actually think that if they wanted to do a spinoff that might be moderately successful, they should build the show around the Mother that they just introduced this season on the original show. Especially after the 200th episode in which they were able to show a great deal of her backstory in the years since the show started, I honestly think they could make that concept work into their “How I Met Your Dad” spinoff. Cristin Milioti would surely be up for leading a whole different show as the same character. We already know who their father ultimately is. We’ve glimpsed who some of her friends are (though you would maybe have to find a workaround as far as getting Rachel Bilson involved more often since she’s busy with her own show). And it would leave the door open for any of the five cast members of the original to make guest appearances, cameos, and story arcs whenever they wanted. I think there’s a lot that they could mine from this idea and it really slightly bothers me that they aren’t going this direction at all and starting with an entirely fresh take…

15. Ram510 says:

Reading about the characters and the spin off idea started to sound like a good idea with Sally and Juliet . But after reading about the other guys it just seems like they are trying too hard

16. Cassmiss says:

I think they should keep the characters and mix it up somehow this was the best team !! Loved lily robin, Marshall Ted.

17. Rick says:

I’m thinking they won’t go for many big-name actors here, but I’m going for this:

Sally – Dreama Walker
    Juliet – Sasheer Zamata
    Danny – Ben Hollingsworth
    Todd – Tyler Jacob Moore
    Frank – Tate Ellington
    Gavin – Nate Corddry

• Rick says:

Almost forgot:
      Narrator – Jennifer Aniston

• Em says:

“Sally” is very like a “Ted” name. Before himym Ted was a very 1950s name. Sally should be an unknown, charming and sweet like Josh Radnor or Zachary Levi and Cristina Milioti. The Dad should be like Zachary Levi. Dad may be Frank. Either Sally or Juliet should be a person of color. At least one person in the cast whom we already know to be funny, an early anchor like Alyson Hannigan and NPH. Krysten Ritter (as Juliet) or Van der Beek (as Danny), for example. The formula is good, but it wasn’t just about premise, it was about smart casting and writing. It always is (see a Friends, too). I love the ideas above of Jennifer Anniston or Jeaneane Garafolo as the narrator voice.

• Rick says:

Agree that Sally will likely be an unknown. With the exception of Dreama Walker (and Jennifer Aniston), I picked most of the suggested cast above based on success in past roles. Tate Ellington is insanely likeable and would make for a sympathetic yet hilarious character. Sasheer Zamata also has established herself in comedy (before SNL) so the two with Dreama Walker are definitely established and funny. The other two actors haven’t really had huge breaks but seem to fit the roles perfectly.

• Goodbye Universe Guy says:

I like your choice of Dreama Walker – I know I’m probably in the minority here, but I liked her better than KR (although KR was good as well) in 2011-13 ABC comedy B*in Apt 23. If they cast Walker, they might really be on to something.

18. Celeste Lang says:

Feel free to cast me. I am a talented actor who would be perfect for Sally. I am funny, lovable, very easy to work with, and have lots of stage experience.

19. I posted this elsewhere: I figured I’d post it here too.

OK, so my friend and I decided to armchair cast this yesterday, and here’s what we came up with – which is a bit strange, maybe a bit plausible. We figured the characters would all be, maybe, late 20s. So here goes:

Sally, the lead, is Leighton Meister. She’s beautiful, can sing and has comedy chops. She’s either a blonde or a brunette, and she can carry a show.

Juliette is Gugu Mbatha-Raw. This takes care of diversifying the cast, also she’s beautiful and deserves a break.

Danny is Jason Ritter. Todd can be Enver Gjoljac, or however you spell it.

Frank the hot nerd … maybe Russell Tovey.

20. midge says:

Don’t hit this horse. It’s Dad, Jim!

21. Broderick Keegan says:

cast me! cast me! cast me!

22. J. says:

Anyone remember when they tried to do the That ’80s Show spinoff of That ’70s Show and it was a total bomb? That’s kinda what this spinoff is smelling like to me… I’ll still give it a chance though because I love the original so much.

23. Delena forever says:

Noooooo this I the worst thing that could’ve ever it happened !
    They are destroying this amazing show that people are now accustomed to just so that they can make a terrible spin off!!

24. Para says:

two girls two gay dudes and a nerd…. who would watch it?

25. Janet says:

I’ll just add one more voice to the ‘Oh No Please Don’t Do This’ chorus. I fear for this show, I really do. People are going to watch this show and immediately compare it to the original and then flock to CBS studios with torches and pitch forks when it doesn’t meet expectations. For the sake of having working actors and writers, I hope it takes off and does well, but if it is going to be a spin off it had better be a darn good one because there will be heck to pay if it is not! HIMYM fans do not play!!!

26. Amanda says:

they may as well put Barney in a leather jacket and swim trunks. Consider the shark jumped.

27. liz says:

I’ll watch it. Hope it goes to series.

28. Richard says:

It bothers me that this show really had no connection to the original series. I love HIMYM, and think the spin off will be like what “Joey” was for “Friends”.

29. Madi says:

I’m actually sort of excited for this show. It’ll be a new twist…hopefully with guest stars from the original. Anyone else hoping for David Burtka to play Danny?

30. ksh26 says:

You need to let HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER go, let it die with respect. Do not mess it up with this spin off. It sounds horrible!!!

31. telltale says:

They lost me at Sally! So many wonderful names out there and they choose (most likely) one of the writers name.

• syn says:

Not that you care, but people named Sally may be reading this and wondering why you have no issue with trashing their name.

32. themurph2000 says:

This could be the biggest mistake since After MASH, but apart from The Big Bang Theory, the pickings are pretty slim for CBS in the comedy department. Seriously, I didn’t think 2Broke Girls could get worse, but it did. And the Thursday lineup is propped up by BBT being on the air.

33. Does anyone else think that the name “Sally” is as blah as blah can get for a show like this? I seriously hope they’re just using that as a place holder. Not that Ted is a particularly exciting name, but I personally know more pets named Sally than actual humans.

34. Al says:

They should have Neal Patrick Harris as Danny. He would come in as Barneys doppelganger. Have him be a doctor like he was as the doppleganger and then when he reflects they can use old video clips from Doogie Howser. Then they could have the whole show in the same location and bump into the old characters from How I met your Mother. For example….Robin always had bizarre people making her news. They could have this cast always making her news. Danny could end up dating Barneys brother in another episode. Bring in Naked Man to run into one of the new female characters on this show. And of course Danny, as a doctor, runs into Lilly & Marshall when they are having their baby. And since the character is gay, guess there would have to be a Bro Code – 1st Gay Edition as well. lol Mix mix like they did when they did a whole episode with Cristin bumping into all the characters before she met Ted.

• tjlane94 says:

HIMYM is done. None of the actors from that show want to return. They’ve done 9 years. Jason Segel and Neil Patrick Harris didn’t even really want to come back for the current season.

35. Mister M says:

They’ll regret wasting this opportunity to just fully flesh out the opposite side of How I Met Your Mother by telling the mother’s story in full when this show’s ratings tank after two episodes and CBS pulls it before it ever finishes an entire season.

36. Dee says:

I think that everyone needs to calm the hell down instead of slagging it of completely why don’t you wait and see what the pilot is like.

37. mr fez says:

So it’s written by a 12 year old who knows nothing about how blogs work apparently (hint they don’t need an IT person) trying to write Sex and the City and throwing in the gay couple from Modern Family?

38. tracey says:

Amanda bynes as Juliet. child actor like neil and can totally pull it off.

39. caveated says:

Can someone clarify if any of the HIMYM characters will cross over into this series? I’m confused.

40. john says:

Yes please lets force more gay couples into TV shows..

41. HIMYM fan says:

I don’t mind the idea of them making a new show, using the “How I Met Your…” name to get it some buzz or whatever, none of that. But I probably won’t watch this show. She’s divorcing her husband of a YEAR because he’s BORING??? Way to work on the marriage! I watch HIMYM because I’m rooting for Ted to find someone because he’s basically a good guy. Yes, he’s tossed back some keepers, but none of them AFTER he married them. It sounds like Sally is just going to be me-first and selfish in ending her marriage… not the way to get me to root for her, and that is the very first episode.

42. Jason Tmg says:

This 5 cannot replace Ted, Lily, Marshall, Robin and especially Barney……Definiyely Flop

43. Raissa says:

Why don’t they so a “HIMYD” with Ted’s wife? That would make more sense. I do totally understand that the cast of “HIMYM” want to move on, but they should continue till they get married, at the very least. They have little clips of the future with them, so why stop before that? Very confused, and I’m not sure about this spin-off.

44. lucy says:

half of you people are so dumb
    sally is divorcing her husband of right now and they have NO kids together
    then after the divorce shes looking for her soul mate and she meets him and then THEY have kids so dumb u people i am laughing

45. betweenshots says:

New cast for #howimetyourdad Sally is a post robin pre baby Barney. Juliet is a pre ted robin. Danny is a mix of Marshall and Barney’s brother, Todd is lily and frank is ted. Lawyered. #himym

46. craig says:

What if Sally is Ellie’s (Barney’s Daughter) mother. So the dad is Barney?

47. Hugh says:

Considering this is a spin-off and how HIMYM finale turned up, I think the dad could be Barney… I just hope to see the cast again in any way, HIMYM was a great show! I also hope HIMYD follows that refutation!

48. How I met Your Dad should be good, it will never replace HIMYM, NEVER. but they did make HIMYM LEGENDARY, why not see how HIMYD will do. but sadly, it will not be the same without Barney, we will miss him

49. Pammy says:

Hell, no. Hell, hell, hell no. You couldn’t pay me money to sit through another 9 years waiting to meet a person that they’re just going to kill off in the last episode. Hell, no.

50. Jim E. says:

Bull…

I think the characters should all be the same as in HIMYM. (Ted and Tracy). But HIMYF, should be about Tracys life and her friends meeting up to the wedding and meeting Ted and having Luke and Laya.