How I Met Your Mother Spin-Off Scoop: Meet the New Ted, Robin, Marshall, Lily and Barney!

TV LOOKOUTSally is the new Ted!

Casting is officially underway on How I Met Your Dad, CBS’ in-the-works spin-off of How I Met Your Mother, and — per just-released casting intel — the soul mate-searching character at the center of the potential series is a twentysomething named Sally.

POLL | How I Met Your Mother Mystery: Why Exactly is Ted Telling the Kids His (Long) Love Story?

Read on for more on Dad‘s “colorfully ambivalent” heroine, and for scoop on the Marshall, Lily, Robin and Barney in her life.

SALLY | She’s vibrant, messy and unpredictable — a “female Peter Pan who has never grown up and has no idea of where she’s going in life.” She’s thinking of calling it quits with her husband of a year, Gavin. She’ll lean on her circle of friends for advice and support through the inevitable divorce. That circle includes…

JULIET | Sally’s sexy, flamboyant, energetic, party-girl BFF. She runs a successful fashion blog. She’s delighted to learn Sally is ending things with the terminally boring Gavin.

DANNY | Sally’s older gay brother, a Type A, overachieving lawyer whom she shares little in common with. They nonetheless share a tight bond, although Sally’s decision to move in with Danny after her split with Gavin promises to test that bond.

TODD | Danny’s warm, outgoing husband and one of Sally’s closest friends from college. Unlike Danny, Todd welcomes Sally into their home.

FRANK | The head of IT for Juliet’s fashion blog. He’s a hot nerd. He has genuine feelings for Sally, but it’s a one-sided flirtation. At least for the moment.

NARRATOR | It’s Sally from the future. She’s reliving the events of her past to her kids.

Thoughts? Theories? Casting tips? Hit the comments!

1. Anita says:

Instead of this why can’t we just bring back Happy Endings? Or just cast the HE actors in this…and call it How I Met Your Dad for no reason :P

2. Kre says:

Spin-offs never work, remember “Joey”?

• Eric says:

Remember Frasier? Remember The Jeffersons? Remember Melrose Place? Remember NCIS:LA and CSI:NY/Miami? Angel, Boston Legal, Private Practice? There’s a decent amount of spinoffs that do okay.

• NJMark says:

Spin-offs give you brand identity and a built-in base of an audience to start with, but there’s no guarantee. It still has to be done right.

Sure there’s Frasier and the Jeffersons, but there’s also been AfterMASH, Joey, Golden Palace, The Ropers, Three’s a Crowd, Gloria, Checkin’ In, 704 Hauser, Joanie Loves Chachi, Phyllis, Time of Your Life, Enos… along with many spin-offs that died at the pilot stage.

3. Alia says:

Ugh. No. Why.

4. This has to be a joke, right? Worst idea ever.

5. Ross says:

These characters sound terrible…

6. Ange says:

I thought the idea, was although it was titled how I met your dad, was to be completely different than how I met your mother. If this is how the show sets up, I will not watch. Sounds like a lot of the same.

7. Hannah says:

I want “the Mosbys” with Penny, Luke, Marvin and flying cars. Old characters can guest star.

• diblous says:

That actually sounds like it could be really funny.

• B says:

I like the mosby’s idea but think it would be fun to do as a mock-umentary style. Penny and Luke hated their dad’s long-winded stories growing up so instead they are making a video diary of their lives with the best part being that their own kids have a option to fast forward to the end ;)

• Lindsey says:

I love the The Mosbys idea!! Lyndsey Fonseca, David Henrie and someone awesome as Martin… Maybe Barney and Robin could have a kid or two in there too?!?

8. ... says:

NO! Just, NO. Sounds horrid!

9. Aleana says:

Blake Lively as Sally
    Misha Barton as Juliet
    Trevor Donovon as Danny
    Robert Buckley as Todd
    Sinqua Walls as Frank

10. BettyGetty says:

Depending on how the format is, it makes me think more of a Happy Endings type group instead of HIMYM. What is the point in the “meet your mom/dad” set up anyway? It just ends up seeming too long and drawn out, with too many plot holes or issues when showing scenes in the future. We end up catching up to the future and things aren’t consistent.

11. Dave says:

Why is this being called a spin-off when it has nothing to do with How I Met Your Mother? Can we stop calling it a spin-off?

12. J.Norman says:

Let’s see if we have all the PC pieces in place for this show.

1) Copy the How I Met You Mother basic format (Check)
    2) Fun loving girls (Check)
    3) Sex in the City type friends including blogger (Check)
    4) Worthless, boring soul draining boyfriend / Husband (Check)
    5) Obligatory gay persons(s) (Check)
    6) Will and Grace type format included for some story lines (Check)
    7) Modern Family clone gay couple (Check)
    8) Gay marriage (Check)

Feels much more like an NBC show format

• Goodbye Universe Guy says:

This ^ I hope the new pilot works out (as I’m sure CBS is hoping), but the characters (IMHO) seem a bit derivative. Much like ‘check-list casting’. If someone had just posted this description of the show and the characters, I would have thought I was seeing a pilot for the CW [if they did comedies.]

Perhaps CBS/producers want/need to ‘go young’ and try to craft a series for the 12-34 crowd, which is admirable, but I think they’ll lose a lot of viewers along the way. They’ve replaced the television newscaster with an internet blogger, and the architect with the IT guy. Keeping up with the times I guess? What next, ‘the nerd coder’? The struggling junior chef? Still got a lawyer in the cast – I guess every show needs one of those.

What got me hooked on HIMYM was how ‘different’ it was – that had so much to do with the great writing, and they struck pay dirt with the cast – it all came together. It was not ‘Friends’, but a hybrid of ‘Friends’ and the ‘Wonder Years’ in many respects. Once we see the ending on March 31st, we’ll know how much more like Wonder Years than Friends HIMYM really turned out to be.

Can HIMYD distinguish itself from all the other ’20-something’ comedies, including the ones soon to premiere – Friends w/Better Lives/CBS and Mixology/ABC? I’m getting a kick out of the casting ideas from the other posts – I thought the same thing, might as well go cast the CW’s Gossip Girl group for HIMYD. Carrie Diaries just got canceled. Perhaps just bring the entire TCD cast over to HIMYD?

13. Ali says:

Zachary Levi= Frank

14. Oliver Queen says:

A married “How I Met…” person who isn’t even divorced as yet…take the show out of family viewing and into “what’s going on mom/dad?” questions from younger children.

BAD PLOT IDEA. Better to go the Mosby route and have the character be completely and legally single, right from the start.

15. Lindsey says:

If Community doesn’t get another season (not to jinx it!) then I could see Alison Brie making a good Sally! And Eric Winter would make a great brother for her! Though I guess he’s busy with Witches of East End.

16. Kristen says:

This show could work if…
    Sally = Becky Newton
    Juliet = Lucy Punch
    Danny = Topher Grace
    Todd = Andrew Rannells
    Frank = Tyler Labine

• Lindsey says:

I would switch Topher Grace from Danny to Frank… Love Tyler Labine, but hot nerd doesn’t sound like him to me… The rest sound good though!

17. I’m really confused. Is this an all-new show? Or is it from Ted’s wife’s perspective? Because if it is,they just did an episode in which we see the mother’s back-story, and this article doesn’t follow it.

18. Pat says:

I am not sure I will invest my time watching another How I Met Your Whoever Show. I think I am done once HIMYM ends in March. I am not sure how this new show will do, but I would think that some people like myself, who have watched HIMYM from day one , might just be turned off by the title of the show. It is called “BURNOUT” and substituting Dad in place of Mom in the title just doesn’t motivate me to want to watch it.

19. mawhi says:

So I guess Frank and Juliet are gonna end up together, right? Boom. Big reveal.

20. nina says:

I wouldn’t invest time in a story about how she married one guy divorced him then married another. I would always be thinking what’s the point she will prob divorce the second. Now if they made a story that began with eiher her first husband dying or him being physically abusive I will have a better feel for the main character. Craig and bays have a good way of pulling heart strings and if they made the situation emotional to start with I might watch the show.

21. jerrired says:

I hope for the most part, they cast relatively unknown actors. Personally, I think Blake Berris could be a great Frank. I think they should get another broadway actress for Sally, look how great Cristin Milioti played the mom. I also think Andrew Rannells for Danny is a good idea, but he just committed to being on Girls as a regular cast member, so I don’t know if his schedule would work for this. I also like the idea of adding some diversity in the cast, I would like to see Juliet and Todd played by non-white actors.

22. Mike R. says:

It definitely could be worse, and should make Glaad and me with some actual LGBT representation that CBS is usually terrible at. Get some people of color and could be the most diverse show on CBS.

23. I think it’s pretty obvious that many HIMYM fans will not be attracted to this. Myself included.

• tjlane94 says:

I’m the biggest HIMYM fan I know and one of the few people who actually likes Season 9, and yeah I’m not sure about this show. However I am going to give it a try. Bays and Thomas said they would only doing if there was something big right from the beginning setting it apart from the original. Depending on what that “something big” is, this show could be alright.

24. Billbo Fraggins says:

Betty White should narrate.

25. Rot says:

I dont think this is gonna work as well as the oroginal series…..

26. Dan says:

I can’t wait!

27. MarkD says:

I, too, thought the spinoff was going to be the other side of the Ted-Mother story, with Milioti explaining to the kids her side of how she met Josh Radnor. I’m actually relieved now that it’s essentially a totally different show – after last week’s HIMYM, we already KNOW Milioti’s half of the story, and the parts we don’t know would be dull (a couple years of not dating, a couple comfortable but unexciting years with Lewis, etc.).

28. keepingitneel says:

What they should have done is had the spin-off show based around Ted’s hot sister, Then at least there would could be the possibility of some guest appearances from the original cast. And c’mon its Ted’s hot sister.
    Also, what happened to making a spin-off show about either Marshall and Lilly/ Barney and Robin?

• tjlane94 says:

What happened to that is that it was never a thing. lmao The actors are done. They’ve done nine years. None of them, especially Jason Segel or NPH, are going to jump onto another show where they play the same character.

29. Abby says:

So far I’m not really into the storyline…starting with the name Sally. I love HIMYM but I think they can do better on the spinoff

30. will says:

Sounds stupid. I love himym but this spin off sounds like junk. I had trouble watching the episode where they showed her last few years. We already knew that. We don’t need a few more years of how she did the same thing and how this is now clear because that lines up. It will be better if they just do a 2 he big screen thing to wrap it all up. I would pay to see that. But i won’t sit for a couple years waiting to find out what I already know. Canceled after a few episodes at best.

31. Paul says:

A 2 season show at the most! Fans of HIMYM will watch obviously for a little bit, then it DIES!!!!

32. MarkD says:

This being essentially its own show, having nothing to do with HIMYM beyond a similar title and the theme of finding one’s soulmate, I think this show will fly or die on its own merits, irrespective of what people now think of HIMYM. We’re starting from the ground up again, with new “clues” about dad’s identity and near run-ins with him, and a whole new “yellow umbrella.”

33. Diego Estrada says:

After reading through the comments, I’ve been seeing a lot negative responses :/ The one year marriage divorce thing seems a bit off, I agree with the others about this. I like the whole concept of adding gay characters. As for everything else, it seems okay.

I’d really love to see this pilot launch, just to see how it goes.

34. MarkD says:

@Will – you don’t understand. This is NOT the same story from Cristin Milioti’s point of view, of how she met Ted (Josh Radnor). This is an entirely different character, seeking HER soulmate. As such, you DON’T “already know” the story!

35. Mark says:

The character bios are weak and bordering on offensive. Personally I am sick and tired of having homosexuality shoved in my face with more and more shows. I was going to give this one a chance if they would have had original cast cameo’s, and Cristin Milioti as the lead. Reading about these characters doesn’t sound like a show that will have a lot of synergy, just a bunch of short and shallow jokes mixed in with some kind of political agenda. Pass.

• Naomi Mowatt says:

What do you mean shoved in your face? Straight people are shoved in faces all the time, no one bitches about that. We’re getting visibility and being treated as human on tv shows with very little coming out dramas or big deals made about our sexuality, oh no, how awful, i guess you should just watch the old 50s sitcoms with safe straight people.

36. Jacob says:

How do people audition for this? I think it would be fun to give it a try.

37. All right okay, okay okay i’ll be Frank! calm down If you guys want i’ll even except your highest pay.

38. Classy...JK says:

Why is this not called “How I Met Your Father” but the last one is called “How I Met Your Mother”? I mean that’s like making HIMYM “How I Met Your Mom” It sounds less classy.

• adam says:

Because it’s probably going to be aimed at a younger audience and just be some generic Disney channel type crap

• Marty Elizabeth says:

Or it is because they are trying to show a distinct difference in the shows. Yes, the spin-off will be similar, but there are so many people who think it is about THE mom, that maybe they are trying to portray that it is it’s own show and that it one way to help? Not sure, but there is obviously a reason…I don’t think the writers would have missed that one accidentally.

39. adam says:

Sounds like crap……

40. nathan says:

Maybe if they use the mother of the original himym and put the original characters in time from time I would probably try the show out

41. This seems like a desperate attempt at making a quick buck. It might attract people who have never seen HIMYM before, but I doubt many HIMYM fans are going to be interested in this. I know I’m not. HIMYM ran it’s course, now let it end.

42. Marty Elizabeth says:

I am actually really looking forward to this show. Yes, I will miss HIMYM but I think this show will be just as good. It’s hard saying goodbye to a show and characters we know so well, but this spin-off sounds really good! I also really like the whole brother/sister thing in the group as well as the same-sex couple. Both great ideas! I can’t wait to see the actors that are chosen and I’m excited for it to start. :)

43. Val says:

I thought the mother was dating a guy named Maxx who was her FIRST boyfriend and pretty much the love of her life…is this a whole new story that doesn’t lead up to Ted?

44. NO says:

After reading the description of the main character and how her best friend will be excited by Sally leaving her “terminally boring husband”/”husband of the year”.. I’m really not interested. Yeah, let’s encrypt the idea that if you get bored in marriage- leave. Why couldn’t it be someone who is looking for love, not selfish excitement?

The rest of the descriptions make me think of other shows that are already out there.

It’s decided…. I won’t be watching.

• John NYC says:

Except it’s the friend who judges Gavin boring, not Sally, from anything explicitly written. Sounds like they did the very traditional, get married without really knowing each other, thing and so, within that first year (it being “husband of *A* year”…) the strains of two strangers finally getting to know each other are appearing. So she falls back on her friends.

Written show pitches, like the written descriptions of characters, I find terribly weird.

Proof is in the pudding.

45. BlacklisterNo.134 says:

This whole divorce thing just sounds nasty and not endearing at all. Everyone will probably end up hating the mom character before she meets the father. I will also skip this show.

• tjlane94 says:

And people didn’t hate Ted? Ted and Robin became my least favorite characters in HIMYM, but something still kept it my favorite show and kept me coming back. People can hate Sally and still like the show.

46. They should have just told the story from “The Mother” point of view from HIMYM. I think this would of been interesting to see what she went through to bump into Ted and his friends.

47. John NYC says:

If everyone went with “From the Creators of HIMYM” everything would be a lot simpler….

48. JJ says:

I’d rather watch a limited series of Ted and the Mother as they navigate the ins and outs of married life with some flash forwards to 2035 and maybe call it “The Mosby’s”. The fans need at least 2 seasons with the Mother. They owe us that much I think.

49. DavidSask says:

I hope this show flops hardcore, no one has asked for it!

50. Chantel says:

I feel like this is going to be really bad. I think it might be a little better if it was the mother of the same two children and it shows the background before she met Ted. I would actually watch that. What does everybody else think?