Coven Ratings: American Horror Story Wraps Its Most-Watched Season on a High Note

Get More: Ratings

American Horror Story Coven ratingsAmerican Horror Story: Coven cast a spell on viewers right ’till the very end.

Wednesday’s finale drew 4.2 million total viewers (more than half of ‘em age 18-49), making it the most-watched closer in AHS history.

RELATED | American Horror Story: Coven Recap — Seven’s Up

Overall, Coven‘s season average stands at roughly 4 million viewers  — easily outpacing Asylum‘s 2.5 million and Murder House‘s 2.9 million.

Comments (31)

• The most watched, but unfortunately, the worst. And since it was the most watched, I guess the next won’t be better. That’s really sad, because Asylum was amazing.

Comment by SylwekG – January 30, 2014 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yup… My thoughts too. Coven was by far my least favorite. Don’t get me wrong, there were aspects of Coven that I just loved (Queenie and Misty Day come to mind), but overall, I just wasn’t that interested. AHS has always had crazy,erratic storylines that sometimes border on cheesy, but this season was just boring (which I partially attribute to the fact that death wasn’t final). I read an article that RM loved writing the comedic aspect of this season…ummmm just NO. Murder House and Asylum had me so scared that I had to watch during the day… There was none of that suspense in Coven.

Comment by BL – January 30, 2014 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You didn’t like the jokes? I fell off my chair with some of the off-the-wall things Marie Laveau had to say. Despite being voodoo queen, Laveau seemed to be a comic character. She never got over Delphine being dug up after 180 years; the writers had her go off on a tirade about that “disrespect” on at least two occasions.

Comment by Borquita – February 3, 2014 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, please…this season was so much better than the second one…the characters were amazing ant the plot was great, I’m very sorry next season is not talking about witches, they were perfect

Comment by Dave – January 31, 2014 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was my least favorite season. But optimistic for season 4.

Comment by Teag – January 30, 2014 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto.

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 30, 2014 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m planning to forgo watching next season and if I hear good things about it, I’ll binge watch it later. I don’t trust that Ryan Murphy. His shows always start out well and then completely fall apart by the second or third season. Damn, even when he only does one season he can still only do one season!!

Comment by Rusty – January 30, 2014 11:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Murder House and Asylum started good and ended excellent but Coven was the complete opposite.

Hopefully next season is consistent and is not as reliant on Dutch angles.

Comment by paul – January 30, 2014 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ha! Dutch angles! Not really a fan of the way they used it either. I’m hopeful for Season 4. Anyone know if this is Jessica’s last season? Or will she be back for 4? She is Amazing. :)

Comment by David – January 30, 2014 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She said next season would be her last :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 30, 2014 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • She said 4 season is her last.

Comment by mojo pin – January 30, 2014 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For the most part, I found it entertaining but I still say Murder House was the strongest season of the three with Coven probably in the middle and the dark, dreary Asylum a distant third. I have to say I found the whole Axeman angle the least interesting of this season’s subplots, though the whole Corporation thing wasn’t particularly interesting either. Again, it’s Ryan Murphy we’re talking about; he very rarely has more than two really good seasons worth of television in him based on history(Nip/Tuck, Glee) before things go off the rails(although this series from the very first episode was probably never really on the rails to begin with I suppose). That said, the acting was typically fantastic almost across the board(though I hated both Taissa Farmiga’s and Evan Peter’s characters this go round and I thought Patti Lupone was miscast and ill-used) with special mention to Emma Roberts, who more than held her own with the series’ mainstays and had the absolute best dialogue of anyone on the show.

Comment by ChrisGa – January 30, 2014 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was also my least favorite season

Comment by Pati – January 30, 2014 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t this season also get more advertising than the other two, especially including ads for the previous seasons ondvd?

Comment by anniem – January 30, 2014 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Coven was the best of the lot. Really hate to see it come to an end. Isn’t there a rumor of a spinoff? Did I imagine that?

Comment by Rod – January 30, 2014 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Coven was fantastic from beginning to end! Loved it!

Comment by Jared – January 30, 2014 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely my favourite season so far. Like the previous two tho, you don’t have to take it too seriously imo. Pure, mad entertainment!

Comment by Gaara – January 30, 2014 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved Coven! I Want a second season of AHS:Coven. I Love AHS season 1 was great, season 2 was not bad, but season 3 fantastic. I Love Ryan Murphys work i was so sad when Nip/tuck ended. AHS is my new addiction.

Comment by Nicole – January 30, 2014 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t be a hater deary

Coven has been the best season so far

Comment by Fernando – January 30, 2014 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I also loved this season. There was much justice in the finale, and certainly the groundwork for either a spinoff or sequel. Sorry about Misty, though.

Comment by cp1945 – January 30, 2014 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes I feel like they did her very wrong, she could have came back and just failed one of the other missions and then just went back to her swamp

Comment by Fernando – January 30, 2014 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m glad you enjoyed it. To me, it was final season of Dexter levels of bad. :-(

Comment by Rusty – January 30, 2014 11:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Coven was a mess with crap ending! Many unexplained things, excessive stunt casting, the list goes on. It is a shame as now next years will have little improvement from RM and crew!

Comment by DavidSask – January 30, 2014 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that’s the beauty of AHS, every season is different and unique, of course the common theme is the horror and Jessica Lange. Coven was design for attract younger and adult audiences who enjoyed both past seasons.

My favorite is still Asylum, but Coven was different because is darker with a lot of white and colorful scenarios. It’s the less creepy but it had a very feminine point of view about power, live and death and redemption. Power by the hand of Fiona, Marie and Delphine brought destruction for all their love ones. But by the hand of Cordelia, there was armory and a little peace between the real and the wizardly world.

My only regret was Misty’s death. I thought that the last minute of the show could be Misty coming back from the death again.

Sadly the next season will be the last for Jessica Lange

Comment by Fernanda – January 30, 2014 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Coven ended sort of boring and drawn out but this was light years better than Asylum

Comment by Ram510 – January 30, 2014 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m baffled by all the people on this board singing the praises of this crap fest. Were we even watching the same show? Nonsensical plotting, boring and wildly inconsistent characters, no coherent vision whatsoever, shallow and insensitive treatment of race, and zero stakes (since no one ever died). There was a lot of scenery chewing from great actresses, so I guess that’s enough for many people. The acting was a nice distraction from the terrible story maybe that’s what people are focusing on. I just need more than that to get on board with a show though.

Comment by Rusty – January 30, 2014 11:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s it if you expected this series to make sense. I didn’t, from the start, so I was able to fully enjoy this crazy and hilarious ride with the best tv show cast of these years. *Thor’s voice* Another!

Comment by Gaara – January 31, 2014 02:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have watched all three seasons and AHS:Coven was the most spectacular, most amazing of them all. Jessica Lange is perfection but with Kathy Bates and Angela Bassett beyond amazing.

Comment by Bobby Milford – February 2, 2014 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Balenciaga!

Comment by Borquita – February 3, 2014 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was the weakest one, in my opinion. It looked amazing, the acting was great, and I did find it pretty amusing. But there were fundamental weaknesses to the story, and a few “mistakes” (Papa Legba looked like Baron Samedi not Papa Legba, and witches were never burned in America, only Europe, to name a couple). I just felt that they wasted their time on certain elements instead of making a stronger story. But I will of course watch the next one.

Comment by Twokeets – February 19, 2014 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post