Pilot Scoop: Tea Leoni is CBS' Madam Secretary

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Tea Leoni Madam SecretaryThat noise you hear is the sound of Tea Leoni brushing up on her foreign affairs.

The actress has landed the title role in CBS’ just-ordered drama pilot Madam Secretary, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s Starring In Them

The project chronicles the personal and professional life of a maverick female Secretary of State (Leoni) as she drives international diplomacy, wrangles office politics and balances a complex family life.

Homeland writer/producer Barbara Hall penned the script and will serve as an EP alongside Morgan Freeman, Lori McCreary and Tracy Mercer.

Comments (25)

• I don’t love the premise, but I love Tea Leoni so I’ll watch. I’ve long wanted her to be a love interest for Gibbs on NCIS, but this could work.

Comment by Stormy – January 29, 2014 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hah, was totally thinking the opposite.

The premise is interesting, but Tea Leoni is miscast for this role. I might still watch.

Comment by Gabriel Garcia – January 29, 2014 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. She is boring. Lisa Edelstein from House would have been a stronger choice. Oh well

Comment by Levi – January 30, 2014 04:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here’s a question for you:

Why “female” Secretary of State? Do you call John Kerry a male secretary of state? Of course not – so since the actor is a woman and you’re using “she” all over, why specify?

Comment by fiberlicious – January 29, 2014 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because that’s the description of the role the gave before casting the role, they simply reported the entire phrase from the other post where specifying the gender was necessary. It may seem redundant now because we know Leoni is a woman, but there wasn’t any ill intention into it.

Comment by Cynthia – January 30, 2014 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can you say “Political Animals”?

Comment by GeoDiva – January 29, 2014 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly!

Comment by sara – January 29, 2014 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where the heck has she been? I thought she had a nervous breakdown or something.

Comment by gigi – January 29, 2014 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s mentally unstable. I guess she’s taking her meds or hiding it from everyone.

Comment by Lucy – January 29, 2014 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • IMO half of Hollywood is mentally unstable, what’s your point?

Comment by Stormy – January 30, 2014 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Good point Stormy:) But she’s in another level of mental issues, so much so Duchovny got custody of her kids. Draw your own conclusions.

Comment by Lucy – January 30, 2014 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • And you know this how? False information you are spreading I KNOW that for a fact. Anyway, I’m very excited about this show, Great team, lovely and talented actress.

Comment by Sophie – January 30, 2014 04:38 PM PDT
          • Lucy, go home and take your meds. Stop spreading lies

Comment by Lori – February 1, 2014 04:51 PM PDT
          • You just wish it was false. Just wait.

Comment by Lucy – February 3, 2014 06:41 AM PDT
  • Not the best casting but could have done way worse. I like Tea Leoni just fine. Was just hoping for a Glenn Close or Felicity Huffman or Jessalyn Gilsig for this role.

Comment by jasie – January 29, 2014 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • felicity huffman would’ve been awesome in something like this.

Comment by hipster – January 29, 2014 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Tea Leoni in The Naked Truth. It’d be great to have her back on TV on a regular basis.

Comment by Steven – January 29, 2014 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gee, I was hoping that she was going to be the mystery divorced wife of Leroy Jethro Gibbs… but I digress…

Comment by Jack – January 29, 2014 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a fan of this casting. I’ve never warmed to this casting. I wish it could have been someone with more gravitas like Annette Benning or Stockard Channing.

Comment by christine – January 29, 2014 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Annette Benning would have been great.

Comment by jasie – January 29, 2014 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Stockard Channing will be 70 years old in two weeks. That would pull in younger viewers. LOL

Comment by Stormy – January 29, 2014 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is an adaptation of Borgen, right?

Comment by MDS – January 29, 2014 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Because of Tea I hope this pilot gets picked up. Love her and she’s been AWOL for a while.

Comment by Babygate – January 29, 2014 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post