Ratings: Supernatural Hits a New 3-Year High, State of the Union Dips a Bit Vs. 2013

Get More: News, Ratings

Supernatural Season High RatingsThe CW’s Supernatural scared up a second consecutive week of superlative numbers, thanks to — or despite going up against — President Obama’s State of the Union Address.

RELATED | CW Boss Talks Supernatural‘s Inevitable Renewal

Drawing 2.76 million total viewers (per finals), the long-running drama rose 4 percent to net its biggest audience in more than three years, since Oct. 15, 2010 (“Weekend at Bobby’s”). In the demo, Supernatural ticked up a tenth to a 1.2, tying its Season 9 high.

Opening The CW’s night, The Originals did 2.32 mil and a 1.0, dipping 10 percent and a tenth in the demo.

RELATED | Mad Men Creator Responds to Show’s Surprise State of the Union Shout-Out

UPDATE: The combined broadcast and cable coverage of the aforementioned State of the Union Address amassed 33.3 million viewers, down a smidgen from last year’s 33.5 mil.

RELATED | Save the Dates: Your February Calendar of 55 Premieres and Finales

Fox’s fresh Dads was flat at 4.0 mil/1.5, while NBC’s penultimate Biggest Loser (6.6 mil/1.7) shed two tenths.

Comments (23)

• I knew the Originals would lose viewers. You don’t kill off one of the more popular characters midseason.

Comment by Riana – January 29, 2014 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Was Davina a popular character? I mean enough to cause a drop in viewers?

Comment by tp – January 29, 2014 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah I have to wonder the same thing, because personally I hated Davina, and was glad to see her gone.

Comment by BrendaO – January 30, 2014 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder why so many people turn to watch Obama lie. Im glad I didn’t watch. Maybe.next year Tvline can recap the state of the union.

Comment by x – January 29, 2014 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Rush Limbaugh that’s you isn’t it. You tea party idiot

Comment by Bender – January 29, 2014 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just because some of us don’t believe his lies doesn’t mean we are Tea partiers, you know theres more than Republicans and Demicrats, maybe you have heard about the Libertarian party?

Comment by Mariah – January 29, 2014 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Same thing angry white men

Comment by Larry – January 29, 2014 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • All politicians lie. So sit. This is a conversation about television, not your irrelevant political beliefs. Thanks!

Comment by Thilia – January 29, 2014 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • This!!

Comment by Lena – January 29, 2014 11:12 AM PDT
        • And what lies should we swallow from the Republicans and the “other” parties? They are saints right? LOL Bye.

Comment by Lena – January 29, 2014 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • What are demicrats?

Comment by Bender – January 29, 2014 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haha good for Dads, so I got a buddy who likes Dads but also seems to like high brow comedies like Arrested Development and Parks and Rec. How weird is that?

Comment by Sam – January 29, 2014 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural still has a loyal audience, I’m starting to think we might get season 11!

Comment by Fan – January 29, 2014 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Starting to think? Please, it’s been one of the CW’s highest rated shows for years. It will keep getting renewed until the actors say they’re done or the showrunners decide it’s time to end. The network dreads that day given the dismal ratings most of its shows get.

Comment by Brooke – January 29, 2014 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Somewhere out there, a Belieber saw those Supernatural numbers and had a total breakdown. Two weeks of huge numbers after vowing to get us cancelled has to burn.

Comment by I Heart Damon Salvatore – January 29, 2014 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last night’s Supernatural wasn’t my favorite ep but I’m glad it did so well.

Comment by Daisy – January 29, 2014 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who in their right minds would choose the president over supernatural?

Comment by Sebastian – January 29, 2014 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sane people

Comment by Sam – January 29, 2014 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ha ha, Sebastian, I know, right?

Comment by Ali – January 29, 2014 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • People who actually live in the real world and have other things to think about than television…

Comment by Lena – January 29, 2014 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You must care about tv if you are here.

Comment by tvgeek – January 29, 2014 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it just me or is Tvline not putting up recaps lately like I watch the shows but I like to read them anyways and read the comments and also comment on them. But I checked there’s no supernatural recap or originals I mean I think they got lazy with not putting up the recaps becuz I really love the recaps to comment on and see what people thought of the episodes. I hope Tvline gets back on top of it. I love reading the spoilers and all but I also go to Tvline for the recaps of my shows

Comment by Lilacs26 – January 29, 2014 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree Lilacs26. I feel like at some point this website did do Supernatural recaps? I could be wrong but I thought they did recaps on The Originals too. I wish they would start doing more stories on Supernatural though. Its a very good show and there are tons of fans.

Comment by Yanez – January 29, 2014 11:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post