Mad Men Creator Matt Weiner Responds to Show's Surprise State of the Union Shout-Out

Mad Men State of the UnionPresident Obama’s surprise shout-out to Mad Men in his State of the Union address Tuesday night earned an enthusiastic thumbs-up from the show’s creator.

RELATED | AMC Sets Premiere for Mad Men‘s Final Season

“I’m honored that our show is part of a much-needed national conversation,” Matt Weiner told New York Times reporter Dave Itzkoff of the plug, which came during Obama’s slam against gender income inequality. The Emmy-winning auteur added that he “supports the president.”

In his speech, Obama pointed out that “women make up about half our workforce, but they still make 77 cents for every dollar a man earns. That is wrong, and in 2014, it’s an embarrassment. A woman deserves equal pay for equal work. She deserves to have a baby without sacrificing her job. A mother deserves a day off to care for a sick child or sick parent without running into hardship – and you know what, a father does, too. It’s time to do away with workplace policies that belong in a Mad Men episode.”

What did you think of the Mad reference?

1. Former Obama supporter says:

So many good words…. I will vote Republican in 2016, even if they give us a Bush Jr. Jr.

Tea Party rocks.

• Van says:

That’s a ridiculous statement to make. As usual someone who seems to forget that you were worst off during the Bush administration. Not that I’m an Obama fan. Hillary all the way!

• Anne says:

So, Former Obama supporter, you’re saying that you don’t think women should have equal pay? You don’t think they should get a day off to take care of sick child or parent? You don’t think men should be able to take time off either?

Forget whether you “like” someone or not. This is not elementary school. Do you like their policies? Do you like the way they vote? That’s the only thing that matters. And if you don’t like what he said, then you belong in the ’50s and ’60s.

• S. says:

I dunno, I seem to remember a bunch of little kids in elementary school being asked to pick the president and of course they all chose who they did because that was who their parents supported. Plenty of adults are still voting the way their parents did instead of using their own brain, or they operate under a ‘you can’t tell me what to do and I don’t have to share’ attitude that we try to train out of small children. We sometimes joke that a situation is just like high school, but I think we need to go farther back when it comes to politics.

• Pat says:

Tea Party Rocks????? You were never an Obama Supporter, so stop pretending. A Democratic Supporter who might decide to vote for some other party would never have mentioned Tea party,especially since the fringe Tea Partiers of Congress almost destroyed are economy when they shutdown the Gov’t.

2. Daisy says:

I thought the Mad Men shout-out was awesome. The Prez has good taste in TV.

3. I’ve vote for our President a hundred times.

4. Esaul says:

Politics aside, love his taste in TV as well. :D

5. “A mother deserves a day off to care for a sick child or sick parent without running into hardship – and you know what, a father does, too.”

I wonder if my bosses heard that line……

• Will says:

A lot of top tier companies are offering this now to stay competitive and keep their talented employees from leaving, in addition to a paid sabbatical. I realize most companies do not do this, but it does exist (mine included)!

6. Douglas from Brazil says:

Obama destroyed America with all his lies and getting money from Hollywood.I’d prefer a Bush Jr.

7. David Anderson says:

14 episodes over 2 seasons. What a cheap and cynical rip off from AMC. I am not wasting my time .