AHS: Coven Finale Recap: Seven Up

Get More: Finales, Recaps

American Horror Stroy Coven FinaleIn Wednesday’s grand finale of American Horror Story: Coven, not only do we get to see Misty and the teenage witches perform the Seven Wonders, but a last-minute contender emerges from the shadows to throw her (pointy black) hat into the ring. Who ultimately ascends to the Supremacy… and who dies trying? Read on for all the gory details!

RELATED | American Horror Story Season 4 Setting Revealed

FINALS | After Stevie Nicks and the girls appear in their own private music video for Fleetwood Mac’s “Seven Wonders” (co-starring a cat I can’t recall them ever having) and Myrtle serves a Last Supper-inspired pre-contest meal (supernatural carbo-loading?), we’re off to the races. First up: telekinesis — Madison’s bailiwick, Myrtle notes. And though the starlet has no idea what the word means, she and her peers all pass the Carrie test. Next, a demonstration of mind control leads to bitch-slapping, hair-pulling and poor FrankenKyle being used as a kinky prop. (If neither sorcery nor acting work out for Madison, she’d make a fine dominatrix.) Feat No. 3 requires the contestants to descend into hell. And, in spite of Myrtle’s warning that “it’s the getting back, darlings, that’s the challenge,” Misty becomes trapped in high school, where she’s forced over and over again for all eternity to dissect the dead frog that she resurrects. RIP, Swamp Thing.

AND THE WINNER IS… | After a moment’s — and I do mean “a moment’s” — reflection on Misty’s demise, the wannabe Supremes’ transmutation exam devolves into a rollicking game of tag… which leaves Zoe impaled on Miss Robichaux’s wrought-iron fence. Moving hastily along to vitalum vitalis (you know, bringing stuff back to life), Queenie tries and fails to revive Zoe, and Madison swats, then unswats a fly rather than reanimate her rival. Since the bratlet is obviously the new Supreme, she tells Cordelia and Myrtle that they can “either crown me or kiss my ass.” Thankfully, Myrtle’s convenient epiphany — that Cordelia could be the new Supreme — keeps both of those things from happening. In no time, the blind sorceress has passed every test that Madison has — plus, she succeeds where Madison fails, at divination. Ticked at being bested, Madison writes off Miss Robichaux’s as “just some jacked-up version of Celebrity Rehab” and announces that she’s headed back to Hollywood, “where people are normal.” RIP, Miss Congeniality. Oh wait, not yet!

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Renewed? What’s on the Bubble?

SEEING RED | Moments later — apparently forgetting that she’s a powerful witch — Madison does nothing to stop FrankenKyle when he interrupts her packing to throttle her for refusing to resurrect Zoe. (Even Spalding doesn’t want Madison anymore — the baby doll fetishist tells FrankenKyle that they’ll bury her.) Meanwhile, Cordelia returns Zoe to the land of the living and, at last having come into her powers, regains her eyesight and her ability to do glamtastic hair and make-up. She even takes Miss Robichaux’s public, conducting TV interviews in which she likens being a witch to being gay (or, in pop-culture terms, a Slayer). The one bummer in it all? Myrtle insists upon being burned at the stake for murdering the old Council. “At the start of your glorious reign,” she tells Delia, “the last thing you need is an Abscam, a Watergate.” RIP, you delectable nutbag. And welcome, new Council members Zoe and Queenie.

ONCE MORE, WITH FEELING | Before Cordelia throws open the doors to a ’round-the-block line of Goth Idol auditioners — er, Miss Robichaux’s new students — she has to take care of some unfinished business: her mother. Resembling death warmed over but not yet dead — surprise! — Fiona reveals that she implanted in the Axeman’s head the false memory of him hacking her to bits, so that a) she could be rid of him, and b) she could let Cordelia figure out the identity of the new Supreme (then, of course, kill her). Now, however, she just wants to die. She’s even willing to explain herself to her daughter: If she was awful to Cordelia, it was only because every time she looked at her, she saw her own mortality staring back. “And all this time,” Delia cracks, “I thought you just didn’t like me.” While the new Supreme refuses to slit her mother’s throat, she does offer an embrace — possibly their first and definitely their last. Once she’s passed away, Fiona wakes to the sound of a rooster crowing… in a room with hideous wallpaper. As Papa Legba cackles, she realizes that she’s in her version of hell — stuck in the country forevermore with the Axeman and his damn Gin Rickeys!

Okay, your turn. What did you think of the episode? The season? Hit the comments!

Comments (128)

• LOVED IT! The answer to the next supreme was in the opening credits the entire time! The skeleton lady who appears at Sarah Paulson’s name is Santa Muerte, Lady of the Seven Powers. Genius!

Comment by iMember – January 29, 2014 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t love it. I don’t understand some things though. Queenie brought Misty back when they broke her out of the coffin, but she couldn’t bring Zoe back? She should have been in the running for Supreme. Major plot holes. Loved Stevie Nicks, but the whole Good Luck Girls thing was super cheesy.

Comment by Shazay – January 29, 2014 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Also, I want next season to be scary like Murder House was. All the plots connected in season 1, season 2 had about 5 different plots that stood alone, and didn’t connect at all. Coven was alright, but the started the season off with Zoe having a killer vagina as her power and then wrote that off as if it never happened. Marie and Delphine should have been given better send offs, or not killed off at all…..and the Patti Lupone sub plot was dumb filler. You don’t have Lupone on a show and not use her properly. Thats a sin. And Nan should have been kept around. The baby Marie stole still ended up with Spaulding, fate unknown, they should have just sacrificed the baby instead of Nan.
        I’m disappointed.

Comment by Shazay – January 29, 2014 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • There are a lot of things that bothered me too, like Madison dying by Carl’s hands. I mean, the writers apparently forgot that she was a freakin’ witch and could have done anything powerful to defend herself.

Comment by Rodrigo Rodrigues – January 29, 2014 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Rodrigo, wrong though good deduction. Madison had some sort of feeling for Kyle however despite that “love” we saw how draining the Seven Wonders is on a witch (Cordelia having performed them all) which leads us to deduce that at that point Madison was in a weakened state and her powers went on the fritz at the wrong time.

Comment by Mel – January 29, 2014 10:45 PM PDT
      • Actually, Misty Day had a history of bringing herself back from death. Ressurection is her primary power. And she got hit by Madison at the cemetery, so there’s also a possibility she stayed alive (and it’s not that easy to die by inanition).

Comment by Rodrigo Rodrigues – January 29, 2014 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That’s what I figured happened too.

Comment by brycealexander – January 29, 2014 11:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • powers come and go. it was mentioned that they spike in times of need.

Comment by d – January 30, 2014 12:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Misty told Fionna that if she killed her she would just bring herself back

Comment by Joe – January 30, 2014 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While I enjoyed the season, if I look back, it was the performances and not the story. The story was meandering at times and I think the biggest reason was as somebody else said -death was not final. It ceased to shock anymore if you know that the person is going to pop up again sooner or later. The second thing was apart from the Kathy bates character flashbacks there was no horror in the horror story. Supernatural does not mean horror. I’ve seen more horror on sleepy hollow and that’s a network tv show that’s not even trying to be a horror show.

Comment by Shroom – February 3, 2014 05:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It sucks that misty died so early, and I totally called Cordelia as the supreme. It wasn’t as interesting or twisty a finale as we’ve come to expect, but it was satisfying and fun, so I have nothing bad to say.

Comment by Jon – January 29, 2014 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome episode, perfect way to end the season. So happy Cordeilia was the Supreme. But didn’t Ryan Murphy say he would reveal the next season at the end of the episode? What it would be called?

Comment by Kim – January 29, 2014 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • my guess is that season 4 will be in a western setting (based on the farmhouse/ranch – fiona’s hell – at the end) with conspiracy theories and government secrecy, like ufo theories, communist spies as its plotline (mccarthyism in 1950s – RM said the season is set in 1950s and also myrtle told cordelia that she did not want to be her waltergate)…

Comment by Ashley – January 29, 2014 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • sorry… i mean watergate

Comment by Ashley – January 29, 2014 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m pretty sure Watergate was in the 60s.

Comment by Shazay – January 30, 2014 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Actually, it was in the 70s

Comment by Adam – January 30, 2014 07:31 AM PDT
          • I think what Ashley is trying to say is that season 4 might be based on government secrets or conspiracies (governments attempt to cover up the truth, like the watergate scandal in 1970s as mentioned by myrtle)… but, based on the period chosen, it probably will be UFO related conspiracies (government attempt to cover up the discovery of spaceships/aliens, something in the lines of the roswell incident in 1949 and the idea of local authorities’ strong public denial of the roswell incident in the early 1950s… which probably explains why new mexico is chosen as a possible shooting location)… or secret government projects (probably involving communism/cold war, like nuclear testing, mccarthyism, spies… which explains possibly the reason of Jessica Lange’s German accent… maybe, she is a spy sent by east germany to america or vice versa)…

Comment by Dylan – January 30, 2014 09:38 AM PDT
    • A huge clue that they had in the last episode was during Cordelias interview in the last episode where the headline says “Liza Menelli talks about her new hip” I read that the only thing that the 50′s and Liza have in common are cabaret.

Comment by MaryJaneHolland – February 9, 2014 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is the baby? Last time we saw the baby spalding had it.

Comment by Ryan – January 29, 2014 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The finale was very anticlimactic. I kept on waiting for some crazy finish or twist that never came. I thought Fiona would come back and kill everybody and remain supreme.
    I did enjoy the Cordelia and Fiona scene at the end; it was sweet in a way.

Comment by Jess – January 29, 2014 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally didn’t want that to happen. I think Ryan and Co thought they might have a crazy finish, but maybe changed their minds because I loved that the show didn’t end with persecution, hate, racism and everything that was apparent in the first few eps. The fact that Robichaux rose from the ashes and welcomed in a new age, a bronze age is better than everything turning to pot at the end like seasons 1 & 2.

Comment by Shuayb – January 29, 2014 11:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I WANT MORE! :( … but it did have a great ending!

Comment by Cory – January 29, 2014 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cory the ending was decent at best. I wouldn’t say great because it felt too rushed and it could have been so much better, but then again so could’ve the last couple of episodes.

Comment by Mel – January 29, 2014 10:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved it. Cordeila was always my pick to be the supreme and she was the most deserving.

I also thought that their were going to be a clip that would show us what season 4 would be.

Comment by Fernando – January 29, 2014 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terrible. But after an extremely uneven season, I am not surprised.

Comment by Carrie – January 29, 2014 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Typical Ryan Murphy show, starts out with a FANTASTIC first season and then quickly becomes inconsistent, shallow, and kitschy.

Comment by Good Gravy – January 30, 2014 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only thing that’s really bothering me is what happened to the baby Spalding has in the attic? How could no one have heard it? What did he do to it? So many horrible questions. No answers.

Comment by Christine (@christine_9774) – January 29, 2014 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • nobody gives two sh*ts about the baby.

Comment by Kevin – January 30, 2014 04:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly, so why put it in to begin with. Just one of many unnecessary pieces of a ridiculously scattered season.

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 30, 2014 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You might not care but others obviously do, judging by the comments. I didnt even think of it myself but now Im wondering too…

Comment by Francine – January 30, 2014 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Just to clarify my comment I feel the whole baby thing was unnecessary because they never addressed it again. I would have liked some sort of answer myself but because it was completely ignored I question why it was ever introduced into the story in the first place :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 30, 2014 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just said this and feel horrible for repeating myself – but if Spalding had the baby, all signs point to it being dead.

Comment by Maryann Voisinet – January 31, 2014 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But the show told us what happend to the baby. It’s being raised as a living doll by Spalding, or he’s dead. It doesn’t really matter to us because the only use for the baby in the story was to justify Nan’s death.

Comment by Rodrigo Rodrigues – February 1, 2014 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was SO good!!! Loved it! So sad another season is over! Cant wait for season 4

Comment by Jared – January 29, 2014 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It wasn’t bad but it was severely underwhelming, especially when last season’s finale was SO good! I called Cordelia episode one so that really wasn’t a surprise.

Comment by dude – January 29, 2014 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was not good at all. I liked the outcome but the way they executed it was horrible.

Comment by Morgan – January 29, 2014 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was a little let down too. I wanted Cordelia to be Supreme and Fiona to get what she deserved but it was missing the scary. I mean it is American HORROR Story. Where exactly was the horror? And did we really need to see Myrtle get burned at the stake again? Come on!

Comment by Phillip Blake – January 29, 2014 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You didn’t find the torture of human beings to be horrific?

Comment by Name(less) – January 31, 2014 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Delphine Delalaurie is really one of the most gruesome and horrific stories to come out of New Orleans, along with the Axeman. Marie Laveau was fairly tame compared to those two, and all three were based in reality. Go read up on them, and tell me that the season still wasn’t horrifying.

Comment by Maryann Voisinet – January 31, 2014 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was a great finale, but let me with some questions like where was the baby? How the hell nobody has found it? Also why Cordelia call only girls to the coven when we know there are male witches? If I remember correctly there was one as part of the witches counsel when Fiona was crown supreme and another played by Leslie Jordan

I would have like to have seen somebody be turn as a Minotaur. I thought he was going to be like bloody face or the leather man from season 1

Comment by John – January 29, 2014 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think because the whole theme of this season was female empowerment, they stuck to focusing on female witches to hammer that point home.

Comment by dude – January 30, 2014 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • the definition of a coven is a group or gathering of witches, as in female, obviously it would not focus on warlocks. All in all i thought the series was fantastic and I want AHS to continue with the coven

Comment by witchbitch – January 31, 2014 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Actuilly witches can be male or female. There were two male witches on the show that we know of. They ended up using the term Warlock which was disappointing. Warlock was actually created as an epithet and literally means “oath breaker”. A male witch is properly called a witch. A coven can be comprised of female witches, male witches, or both.

Comment by Nicholas Kane – February 1, 2014 12:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anti climatic and boring. Live the show, but not this ending.

Comment by Mollie – January 29, 2014 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *love

Comment by Mollie – January 29, 2014 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved loved love it! Such a great way to end the season. Sad that Misty died and Madison’s comment after she comes back from hell about being in a network musical. Hilarious. So glad Cordelia was supreme.

Comment by Carlos Alvarez – January 29, 2014 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Queenie brought Misty back from the dead last week. It makes no sense that’s the test she failed.

Comment by virgil dickson – January 29, 2014 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree! Too many things about this season were uneven.

Comment by Phillip Blake – January 29, 2014 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Misty brought herself back.

Comment by Joe – January 30, 2014 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • true. misty cant die like the one she was burned before. her main forte is resurrection which she told Fiona before as well.

Comment by Kim – January 31, 2014 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Also cleared up by the show, Myrtle says clearly that all the girls powers were so strong was because Cordelia was rejecting them. They were never the girls powers to begin with

Comment by MaryJaneHolland – February 9, 2014 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The way they killed and got rid of Madison was also a little too neatly tied up. I had not problem with her dying and it was fitting the who did it, but the fact that Spalding just takes her was kind of dumb I thought.

Comment by Jake – January 29, 2014 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dumb. Dumb season. Started off strong but went NOWHERE all season. Queen is brought back Misty from the dead last week, but can’t tonight? It felt like so many of the characters this season were useless–Zoe, Kyle, Misty, in particular. Last season was so brilliant. Cordelia was the most deserving of it, but did she just realize tonight that it could have been her? Her mother was the Supreme, did it ever dawn on her that she could be next?

Comment by Michele – January 29, 2014 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also..in Fiona’s ‘hell’ we hear the Axeman say it’s ‘heaven’ for him. How exactly did this serial killer wind up in his own ‘heaven’?

Comment by Michele – January 29, 2014 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The serial killer probably offered up a deal to Papa Legba after dying. OR it wasn’t really the “Axeman” per se, but a manifestation of his spirit/image to torment Fiona in her hell.

Comment by Mel – January 29, 2014 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with all of this. I am a HUGE fan of AHS in general, but this season was very lacking for me. Jessica Lange’s character in particular was so boring, and it takes a lot to make that woman boring. The storylines were just not very well thought out and most of the time it felt like swimming through mud.

Comment by Ruby – January 30, 2014 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know I’m probably on my own here, but I would love to see Sarah Paulson and Emma Roberts play mother/daughter in a future season.

Comment by Jess – January 29, 2014 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The season was a look at family but also the relationship between mother and daughter. I think looking at it with that in mind this was the perfect ending.
    The mother that raised Cordilla, Myrtal, gave her self up so her daughter could be better. This is a loving sacrifice made for family.
    Fiona and Cordilla’s relationship was summed up brilliantly in the last moments of the show. Fiona, couldn’t look at her daughter without seeing her own mortality. But she was still forced to give up her power for the next generation.
    I liked it.

Comment by Me – January 29, 2014 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t Glenn Close supposed to be in the finale? Did I miss her?

Comment by Ed – January 29, 2014 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was rumored. Maybe she didn’t make the cut or they went another way, but I’d love to see her throw the occasional scotch glass against the wall in S4. Patty Hewes 4ever.

Comment by brycealexander – January 29, 2014 11:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seeing how Madison was a powerful witch she couldn’t stop Kyle for choking her?

Comment by Rook – January 29, 2014 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She wasn’t as powerful as she thought she was if she couldn’t handle divination.

Comment by Cheyenne – January 29, 2014 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Her powers were exhausted right after performing the tests, went on the blink because she was having a mental breakdown for failing.

Comment by Mel – January 29, 2014 10:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked the finale for the most part but I was confuse as to how and why a Voodoo high spirit was in Fiona’s personal hell? I can’t help but think the show actually sends the message that Witches basically are going to end up in some personal hell, when they visit the underworld wouldn’t it be a better test to visit a paradise? wouldn’t it be harder to leave paradise then to leave a personal hell? that would be real test of your will to come back from the otherside.

Comment by Robert – January 29, 2014 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You have to understand that Papa Legba is held in high regard in voodoo, he is the gatekeeper who guides souls to the underworld, which is why it would make total sense for him to be there in Fiona’s last scene and also because she tried to make a deal with him. In the second to last episode it seems like the closure with Marie and Madame are the same as Fiona, both stuck in some personal hell with Papa L. guiding them there. Now that I watched the 2nd to last episode again, it makes perfect sense.

Comment by Chenoa Avon – January 29, 2014 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had a feeling Cordelia was the supreme this morning when the radio show I listen to mentioned that Sarah Paulson was going to be on tomorrow. Although I liked it, I felt it was somewhat anti-climatic, especially with Fiona returning at the end. I thought she was going to stab Cordelia in the back the entire time. Also, I was glad when Kyle killed Madison. She had it coming (again). I never bought into the idea that Misty may be the next supreme, so I was not shocked that she died first. I thought she was a pretty useless character the entire season. Fiona’s personal “special place” was perfect in my opinion.

Comment by Jillian – January 29, 2014 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the finale truly sucked, nothing felt finished!

Comment by DavidSask – January 29, 2014 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a die hard AHS fan, Coven is top season out of all three in my book, but the last few episodes of Coven left more to be desired .. 1st – I guess Papa Le decided Marie and Madam were to spend all eternity torturing each other? 2nd – Spaulding got to keep his living doll but I guess Papa Le’s sacrifice was Fiona in the end? 3rd – Jessica and Sarah put on a stellar performance this season, didn’t they? :) In the end Cordelia and Papa Le were really the winners .. Cordelia got her sight back and became supreme and Papa Le got all his souls in the end.

Comment by Chenoa Avon – January 29, 2014 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hmm..don’t forget Zoe was a winner in the end so was Queenie. They made it thru the trials for better or for worse, and made it thru to the end. Was a shame to have Misty go in such a horrible way as she already suffered enough, but I guess the writers enjoy using Misty/Lily Rabe as a lightning rod lol…

Comment by Mel – January 29, 2014 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah I agree with everyone a bit anti climatic! But still loved this season. But I did major flash backs of season 1 violet overdose & Tate saving her. When Kyle was telling her that she left him…just felt nice

Comment by Lizzie – January 29, 2014 10:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh… I hated this ending. I saw the Fiona come back from a mile away and expected to be wowed with a HUGE plot twist. I knew Madison would die, and that either Zoebor Cordelia would be the supreme. I loved the series until this last episode. Soooo predictable. I thought Fiona would have swapped bodies with Delia and lived on through her while Delia died and lived her hell or the Axeman and Fiona would have came back and slaughtered them all. THAT would have been epic. I didn’t want a bad ending just an awesome ending. This was lackluster to say the least :/

Comment by Xiolito – January 29, 2014 10:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • See I take a different view on what is and isn’t predictable about the ending. For me, I saw Fiona faking her death and coming back from a mile away, so that was predictable, and having her come back and kill the new potential supreme would also have been predictable, because we’ve seen her do that a couple of times during the season, but the tension at the end when Fiona and Cordelia embraced and waiting for Fiona to take the knife and stab Cordelia in the back, for those moments that tension and anticipation had me holding my breath and on the edge of my seat, and when Fiona just collapsed and died, it was really shocking to me, because I didn’t see that coming, and I couldn’t believe that there was actually a relatively happy and optimistic ending to the season.

Comment by BrendaO – January 30, 2014 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was a great episode I hope it come back

Comment by Kimberly Baker – January 29, 2014 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not just Queenie being unable to revive Zoe, but why was Cordelia unable to guide Misty back from hell, then? Another sloppy plot hole. This whole season seemed very slapped together, unlike the previous two. I really hope that season 4 brings the ‘Horror’ back, cause it sure was absent this season.

Comment by anniem – January 29, 2014 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah it seems like the actress (Lily Rabe) Misty always gets the short end of the stick by her characters dying. Weird how she disintegrated unlike Zoe when dying while performing the Seven Wonders. I guess having Misty survive would have left bigger plotholes as she could just keep bringing pretty much anyone back after dying.

Comment by Mel – January 29, 2014 10:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I feel like Misty disintegrated because she died while having her spirit separate from her body (you know, busy being in hell and all), while Zoe died of ‘natural’ causes (she may have blinked above the spikes by magic, but they just impaled her)

Comment by Lucas – February 1, 2014 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cordelia might have been able to bring Misty back, but the test was that they had to bring themselves back. I guess that was the consequence of failure–they would stay there.

Comment by TD – January 30, 2014 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • TD, a Supreme newly blooming Supreme should be able to tap into the netherworld and bring anyone back. This would have been a great twist and have made Myrtle’s epiphany less random, because we really saw no real powers from Cordelia all season long. The consequence of failing would have meant Misty was automatically not the Supreme if Cordelia needed to bring her out of it. It was just a cheap way to kill off Misty after her going thru alot of bull$h!t as a lightning rod all season pretty much. Guess Ryan Murphy must really be a frenemy to Lily Rabe’s characters.

Comment by Mel – January 30, 2014 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought that misty was still alive.
    Pretty sure I saw her in the line of witches before Cordelia went to talk to her mother, I swear to god I saw her.

Comment by Rhianna – January 29, 2014 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How could they not bring Nan back? It’s ludicrous that she’s the only one of the starting seven Coven witches to not make it to the end!

Comment by brycealexander – January 29, 2014 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They couldn’t bring nan back because papa legba took her soul

Comment by love2perform – January 29, 2014 11:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Before they took a “break” the episodes were good. After that it just went downhill. Once they started killing off and bringing back so many of the main characters it lost any appeal to me, the suspense was gone. Just took too many leaps of faith. Unsatisfying season, and i assume it wont get any better. Although i hope im wrong.

Comment by Jbles – January 29, 2014 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why do you assume it won’t get better? This is one bad season out of three. People can’t stumble?

Comment by Ruby – January 30, 2014 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the reason it felt a little anti climatic is because in coming to expect the unexpected it was easy to look at the situation and say “ok Cordelia would be the most unlikely yet plausable choice for supreme.. Fiona being alive was another logical choice for a plausable yet interesting twist, plus you don’t kill Jessica Lane off before the last episode. Last the plot hole mentioned about Queen ie resurrecting Misty then failing the test later.. I took Myrtles comment to Cordelia about her powers coming out through the girls and her needing to let loose made me think she may have unwittingly been providing the girls with extra juice..

Comment by love2perform – January 29, 2014 11:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oops stupid spell checker. .Jessica Lange.. if it was a lesser actress I wouldn’t Have bothered with a correction, but that lady is my idol!

Comment by love2perform – January 29, 2014 11:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To everyone questioning how so and so could possess a certain power then fail at that same task during the trials.. Remember a few episodes back it was Fiona I think who mentioned that during times of great danger to the coven witches powers grow/spike. Could explain why they had the power temporarily then lost it. Or the other theory could be that since Cordelia was suppressing her powers they were manifesting through the girls (remember Myrtle told her to let it in then let it all out and said something about it showing through the girls) i imagine the girls could just as quickly lose these new powers as quickly as they received them.

Comment by love2perform – January 30, 2014 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do the girls that were trapped in hell have to repeat the same thing over and over and each time they forgot about what they had just done and live it again or did they know that they were repeating the same cycle over and over ?

Comment by Gerardo – January 29, 2014 11:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Balenciaga!!!

Oh, Myrtle. I think I’ll miss you most of all.

Comment by Elle – January 30, 2014 12:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I LOVED the character of Myrtle this season. Frances was superb with her lines and her acting!

Comment by Chenoa Avon – January 30, 2014 04:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, Myrtle’s final word was great! Even though the season’s over, and we wouldn’t have gotten to see her mentor the girls on/via the Council, I felt a sadness at the idea of Myrtle insisting she be burned at the stake. However, it did offer another great set of moments/showcase the actress’ talent.

Also, Fiona’s “what is this…’knotty pine’?!” had me dying! (And then someone brought me back to life, lest I spend eternity having James Franco’s character in Spring Breakers hit on me on a permanent loop…)

Comment by Winnie – January 30, 2014 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nan didn’t want to live without Luke, as this was the first love she experienced and protected. It all makes sense now going back last night after the finale watching episodes off my DVR I didn’t really grasp until now. Papa L. took Nan to heaven, where she lived happily ever after with Luke.

Comment by Chenoa Avon – January 30, 2014 04:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is nice – I hope that was the case. She certainly didn’t seem upset about going with him, and it was the only time he didn’t come across as creepy.

Comment by anniem – January 30, 2014 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • a very uneven season but the finale two episodes were strong
    hopeful season 4 will be amazing to make up for it
    and with any luck we won’t have to deal with emma roberts anymore

Comment by sarah – January 30, 2014 04:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Killing characters twice and bringing them back was a bit overkill. I too thought it was very anti climactic….needed more of a bang at the end, then just seeing Cordelia grin into the camera. And killing off Kathy Bates and Angela Bassett in such “non meaningful” ways was quite a waste. And getting tired of Mr. Murphy killing off the Downs Syndrome girl like she is not worthy enough to be around for a whole season. I mean they brought back Myrtle, Zoe, Queenie, Misty, Kyle and Fiona twice…Nan was a great character and I thought her being the Supreme would have been a good surprise to end it all!

Comment by Jamey Arnold – January 30, 2014 04:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to know what happened to the baby that Marie stole from the hospital, and which Spaulding then took. That is a glaring hole in the story.

Comment by Mandy – January 30, 2014 05:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The biggest plot hole for me in this season finale… when we were introduced to the story of Misty, it was about how she brought herself back to life with her reanimation power after being burned at the stake (and how I assume she came back to life if it wasn’t Queenie in the graveyard) – since we know Madison had that power (maybe hadn’t manifested the first time she died) but shouldn’t she have brought herself back to life after Kyle killed her? Ryan Murphy has always been inconsistent in his story telling, even in the first AHS. Still love it though.

Comment by David – January 30, 2014 05:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only thing that I could think of was that maybe Misty could only reanimate herself once.

Comment by DeeDee – January 30, 2014 05:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still don’t understand how Fiona ended up with Papa Le. When she tried to make a deal with him in an earlier episode, he told her that she had no soul. I know she made a deal with the Axeman….is that how she ended up with papa le?!?!?! so confused

But I will say….”knotty pine?!?!?” favorite line of the season

Comment by JLE – January 30, 2014 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re the only one I’ve seen so far that had the same question I had.. if Fiona had no soul to offer Papa, how was she in hell afterward? How could the Axeman make a deal for her soul? Didn’t she summon Papa before she made the deal with Axeman?

Comment by leah – February 2, 2014 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmmmm, I have to agree with those that say it wasn’t that great. I’ll even go a step further and say that at least for me the whole season was pretty meh. A lot of unnecessary stuff thrown in that didn’t really matter, tons of plot holes, and the twist at the end was very predictable as was the reveal of the new Supreme. My least favorite season of the three by far. On to next season!!

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 30, 2014 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My exact feelings

Comment by Gleni – January 30, 2014 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think ‘men’ sums it up pretty well! :-)

Comment by anniem – January 30, 2014 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Er, meh. Stupid auto correct.

Comment by anniem – January 30, 2014 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy this season is finally over. It went from bad to downright awful last night! I’ve loved the last 2 seasons of AHS but this is making me question if I’m going to bother giving it another try next season. I’ll have to keep checking out casting news to see if I’ll be giving it a try. Another season full of young actors who, in my own personal opinion, can’t freakin’ act and I’ll be out.

Comment by Rain388 – January 30, 2014 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And that was, I think, the main problem with this season. Taissa Farmiga and Emma Roberts aren’t the greatest actors, but for at least the first three episodes, those two were the main focus. Even though Evan Peters is a better actor, his role this season was fairly thankless, and he’s capable of much more.

Also, putting an excellent, veteran actress like Frances Conroy in the background until essentially the last quarter of the season was a travesty.

Comment by Joey – January 30, 2014 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I too am troubled not only about what happened to the baby but non of the witches ever discovered spauldings ghost? I too find it stupid queenie suddenly couldn’t bring a person back to life. Not only was it ridicilous the twice dead misty got caught in hell but she also claimed to have a plan to resurrect herself some how turned to dust wtf

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – January 30, 2014 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I so agree with you Matt. Was stupid for Misty to die like that, and even more stupid that Cordelia being a “secret” Supreme couldn’t snap Misty out of the hell dimension. I think Ryan Murphy secretly hates Lily Rabe/Misty. Her character(s) always seem to get the short end of the stick….

Comment by Mel – January 30, 2014 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I kept waiting for a twist that never came in the Fiona Cordelia scene I was waiting for Fiona to stab Cordelia in the back or some how possess Cordelia’s body to live on as supreme.

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – January 30, 2014 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed Coven’s season as a hole, but I think that the season finale in Asylum was better. But I wouldn’t mind returning back to the Coven.

Comment by Kre – January 30, 2014 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think we have yet to see the last of Myrtle Snow. Is Cordillia really the supreme or simply a tool is the bigger picture?

Comment by Angelina – January 30, 2014 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You have seen the end of Myrtle Snow. It’s the end of the season. Unless they spin this season off somehow, you’ll get a brand new setting and brand new characters (and a brand new time period) next season.

Comment by Joey – January 30, 2014 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post